Tips on how to get ahead...

Ultimatehero

Life is infinite
Reaction score
I just thought this might be a good thread to start. There are a lot of us here who have progressed to great areas in life and I figure we all have advice to share from our journeys along the way...

My job position: Rising screenwriter, early 20s.

My advice:

1. Be persistent - you're bound to run into many brick walls, however, if you keep with it and never give up you are more than likely to break those brick walls down at some point and continue to move forward. The journey to any top is a roller coaster. Sometimes people let go because it's taking too long. But the ones who stick by it - are the ones who make it. You just have to hold on tight and never let go.

2. Be courageous - never be afraid to ask for help from your mentors and higher-ups, it shows that you have a goal of where you want to be and that you respect their advice. It enables you to build a comradery with them. When I was 22 years old, just out of college, I pitched a script to high up Vice President that he loved and said he would have bought if they didn't have anything already similar. Ever since then he's been there helping me every step of the way. I had to step outside of my comfort zone, take a chance at being shot down, and it paid off. Always take risks.

3. Be humble - when people help you out, genuinely thank them, and see if there is anything you can do for them in return. I've found the more humble you are, the classic "small fish in a big pond" analogy, the further you get. People like seeing someone who's passionate and honest with those he works with and for and genuinely loves the whole atmosphere of it. Basically, be real. Fast talkers may seem like they run the room, but I've found being the compassionate talker has worked out just as well. I believe in "paying it forward." I never tire of telling them how thankful I genuinely am and asking how I can help them in return.

4. Make your own luck - people say be in the right place at the right time, but there's more to that - when that door is open, you have to strike hard while the iron's hot and in order to do that you need to be at the top of your A game so you can make a long lasting impression. I was lucky enough to get mine early, but even now I know that those moments don't come around that often. So when they do, you have to be prepared for them and give it your all. And sometimes, as with the VP, the pieces might be there but you still have to put them together to sometimes create your own window of opportunity.

5. Love what you do - this may sound easier than it is, but the way to put your best foot forward is to genuinely love what you do. I'm a screenwriter, it's the air I breathe, and following my passion has got me extraordinarily far at the mere age of being in my twenties. I also know a delivery man in his 70s who delivers chemicals to companies, the sheer love he has for what he does and the people he meets is seriously inspirational to me. Love what you do and you'll go further in your life and in your career for that.

Out of all of those I'd say # 3 and # 5 have gotten me the furthest.

So what is your advice?

Last edited:
Ahhhh...To be young and have hopes and dreams. :cwink:

It doesn't matter if you're flipping burgers or running a company; have integrity, be respectful and always conduct yourself as though you are being watched.

After 20+ years in the military and 4 more in a civilian police force, having those two traits and following that one rule have led to great things in my life and career.

Personal drive, probably the one thing in this world thats soo hard for some people to have, including myself.

Being able to work hard when nobody else is, instead of just sitting at home watching T.V. (or posting on SHH :D)

Don't be afraid to sleep your way to the top. And if you are straight and your boss isn't? Sleep with him anyways, joke will be on him, you're not gay.

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.

It helps if you can use someone else's capital. So being persuasive is a good skill.

Don't take anyone's sh**.

Have one bad habit you use to unwind and don't do it at work.

Don't aim to be liked. That's a serious dead end.

Being a bit of a hypocrite helps, actually. You don't really want to take no for an answer but you can't waver when you say no.

Always get some money upfront.

Learning when to shut up will take you far.

It's about the mastery of time first and foremost. Besides that "one bad habit" everything else you do should be productive, more or less.

Try to have fun, and try to look like you're having fun otherwise.

Keep yourself motivated. Make connections anyway you can. And don't burn any bridges.

I graduated a little over two years ago and wanted to break into the entertainment/video game industry.

Besides some freelance jobs I got nothing for 2 years. Companies want you to have a lot of experience...yet no company will hire you to gain experience.

I applied to at least 4-7 jobs a week for 2 years. Rarely did I even get a response telling me to screw off. It's frustrating.

But I keep applying. I keep doing artwork and projects to add to my portfolio.

A couple of the people I did graduate with got jobs in the industry. I kept in touch with them. One of them got me an interview. And just like that I had a job making video games and adult money. And I'm good at it.

A lot of the HR and hiring process is very broken.

A lot is about who you know.

Personal drive, probably the one thing in this world thats soo hard for some people to have, including myself.

Being able to work hard when nobody else is, instead of just sitting at home watching T.V. (or posting on SHH :D)

Yes, this is a big one. During my journey to break into my career I've met a lot of cool people along the way. Good talented people with interesting ideas. It's just that instead of going anywhere with them they'd clock out, go home, and smoke pot and watch Netflix for the reminder of the day.

the only way that I need to get ahead this weekend is to remember to move my clock forward... :oldrazz:

For me its to drink a lot of gatorade before I go out to drink.

We lose an hour this weekend! BLAST YOU WORLD!!

Ahhhh...To be young and have hopes and dreams. :cwink:

It is better to start chasing those dreams young, I'll admit. Because you have more time to make those dreams into a concrete reality.

HOWEVER, I don't think it has anything to do with being young on the same hand. Just look at all the number of people who make it big just when they've reached middle-age. It may have taken longer than some, but they made it.

Basically saying, no matter how young or how old, one can still follow their pursuits and can still make it. You are never too old to reach what you want in life. Some people think at a certain point you do become too old, but if that was the case - that wouldn't really explain emerging success some people find middle-age.

Last edited:
Rules of Success:

Rule No. 1: Ask
Rule No. 2: Ask again.
Rule No. 3: Ask again.
Rule No. 4: Ask again.
Rule No. 5: Ask again.
Rule No. 6: Ask again.
Rule No. 7: Ask again.
Rule No. 8: Ask again.
Rule No. 9: Ask again.
Rule No. 10: Ask again.

Keep yourself motivated. Make connections anyway you can. And don't burn any bridges.

I graduated a little over two years ago and wanted to break into the entertainment/video game industry.

Besides some freelance jobs I got nothing for 2 years. Companies want you to have a lot of experience...yet no company will hire you to gain experience.

I applied to at least 4-7 jobs a week for 2 years. Rarely did I even get a response telling me to screw off. It's frustrating.

But I keep applying. I keep doing artwork and projects to add to my portfolio.

A couple of the people I did graduate with got jobs in the industry. I kept in touch with them. One of them got me an interview. And just like that I had a job making video games and adult money. And I'm good at it.

A lot of the HR and hiring process is very broken.

A lot is about who you know.

Yes, this is a big one. During my journey to break into my career I've met a lot of cool people along the way. Good talented people with interesting ideas. It's just that instead of going anywhere with them they'd clock out, go home, and smoke pot and watch Netflix for the reminder of the day.

That's the big thing, who you know and when you get the job, who sees your work. When you're in the eyes of the right people and doing the job well, you'll go far. If you're doing your job well, but the right people aren't seeing it, you'll go nowhere.

That's the big thing, who you know and when you get the job, who sees your work. When you're in the eyes of the right people and doing the job well, you'll go far. If you're doing your job well, but the right people aren't seeing it, you'll go nowhere.

Definitely. I don't want to cite who I know, but they're really high up in the field I want to be in. The VP and I practically complete each other's sentences. They sincerely with all my heart feel like a second family to me. I'd do anything for them, as sappy as that sounds.

People might think getting those people is just luck though, and that's what I wanted to talk about here. You always hear "right place, right time" or "you lucked into it." The thing is - there are opportunities around every bend. You just have to reach in and dive in. There are windows. But you have to actively seek them out and find them. If I never took that internship? I never would have found these guys. If I didn't open my mouth and put my best foot forward, I never would have made an impression on them. I'd be just another head in the clouds.

Yes, part of it is luck. But to get that luck - you have to be pro-active and get yourself in front of the right people. They're not going to come looking for you. If you see someone at lunch or out on the golf course don't just stand there - take that initiative and introduce yourself, I've known several friends who have gotten places that way, as simple as that. Some people, or at least some that I know, give up when they start seeing it as just luck - the thing is, in order to get that luck you just have to hang on and never let go. I guarantee if you do that, miracles will come your way as well.

A couple of people have private messaged me for advice over the last year. I'll put the same thing here that I tell them. If anybody is really into the art of film making, don't be afraid to private message me. I got where I am through others helping me and taking a risk on me. I sincerely want to help others as well. Meaning if there's something I can do for you (whomever it may be) feel free to ask and if I can do something, I'll do it and if I can't do it at that moment in time - I might be able to in the future. Being able to "pay it forward" just helps me sleep better at night, because otherwise just getting and never giving back just doesn't feel right.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"