Titans Titans General Discussion Thread - Part 1

Starfire gets a brand new look that is 10x better along with Raven.

Yeah, it is too soon to know what is happening, but it is uncharacteristic of her being a cold-blooded killer and the amnesia plot is cheap. A shame they already went with it in the first episode. Not a good omen.
Why would amnesia not make anyone a killer though? Her killer instinct may be the foundation of something in her subconscious that's been triggered because she has amnesia?

You are right, this show is going to be cgi intensive, but it's a pity that even cosplayers look more like Starfire than Starfire in this show.
Everyone's going to have their very unique idea of what Starfire should look like, there's ultimately no right or wrong. :) Not unless she was suddenly green skinned with blue hair.

Undercover for who exactly? She was obviously undercover, but in what way would it provide for her to be the usual Starfire? She is completely familiar with Earth and humanity and if she isn't suppose to be, that is a major continuity error on their own part.
Who knows? We've only had one episode. Lets wait and find out! :)

Can we lay off the Batman is a killer aspect? I remember (post BvS) all the complaints about Batman not being a killer, which is BS. Batman has been a killer in some comics, whilst in others he hasn't. I guess it all depends on which comic you (as a writer) are taking inspiration from; there's so many of them out there with multiple reboots and reimagining's.

Pretty sure Dick/Robin (considering his reasons for leaving Batman) is just as much a killer at the moment; there's no way all those people in that alley survived his onslaught. Pretty sure some of them would have died, so how is Dick/Robin any better than the man he chose to escape at this point?
No, we cant. Its a pivotal trait of the character and changes him fundamentaly. If you cant understand that or agree with fine. But we are not gonna lay off. Thats like making spiderman a murderer. Peoppe are angry and they have a right to benso let them be angry.

No, we cant. Its a pivotal trait of the character and changes him fundamentaly. If you cant understand that or agree with fine. But we are not gonna lay off. Thats like making spiderman a murderer. Peoppe are angry and they have a right to benso let them be angry.
It's not an absolute trait though, because he has actually gone through killing phases. Batman killing it's a fundamental shock, as it's happened in the comics.

This isnt canon. Its an adaptation.
He killed in non canon AND canon material.
Okay, it bothers people, fine. Say how you feel, fine. But if you keep doing that over and over again, if it prevents you from enjoying the show, just stop watching. Ignore it and read a comic.
Idk why, especially when it comes to dc, people have the need to CONSTANTLY point out flaws. Like up to a certain point, i get it but when it goes on for weeks... Dont you have anything better to do?

But like somebody else mentioned, Batman killing is like 5 minutes of his whole existence. There's a great video that really explains why Batman is not and should not be a killer. It's called "Batman does not kill", unfortunately I can't post it due some of the language used.

If you basically turn Batman into the Punisher, you pretty much ruin any character development he ever had, lose a lot of the drama as he tries to uphold his code and most importantly, most of his rogues gallery wouldn't even exist anymore if he'd be willing to kill. Arkham Asylum would be empty.

There are people who have long preferred and seen Batman as not a killer. And a handful of people who find a few bits of mainly golden age material where he did to justify Batman being a psychotic killer now and think it's okay.

Good, you like Batman as a killer, the rest of us who don't, do not need you to keep justifying Batman as a killer.

We dont know the context and what exactly happened in the show that made him kill. All we have is one quick sentence from an interview.
So you could watch and find out, then complain if you have to... Or you could just... Watch something else? And let it be.

It's not an absolute trait though, because he has actually gone through killing phases. Batman killing it's a fundamental shock, as it's happened in the comics.
A lot of things happen in the comics that don't actually become a part of the characters mythos. Superman and Batman not killing is something that has come to define the characters. To the point that whenever they do the opposite, it gets a giant reaction. Also there is a fundamental difference between Batman killing someone as a last resort, and Batman going out of his way to kill and even murder people.

The argument "it happened in the comic a few times" ignores exactly how the mythology of these characters are built, and how their general iconic traits leak into pop culture.

For whatever reason there are a few fans who just seem to be all in on this Batman is a killer thing despite all the contrary attempts to prevent deaths. I don't get it but they will harp on how he has killed in the past and it's okay for him to just keep on killing now even though there has been a concerted effort for him not to.

We dont know the context and what exactly happened in the show that made him kill. All we have is one quick sentence from an interview.
So you could watch and find out, then complain if you have to... Or you could just... Watch something else? And let it be.
Or he could you know, keep on doing what he is doing. Just because you don't like what he has to say, doesn't mean he can't express his opinion on a message board.

A lot of things happen in the comics that don't actually become a part of the characters mythos. Superman and Batman not killing is something that has come to define the characters. To the point that whenever they do the opposite, it gets a giant reaction. Also there is a fundamental difference between Batman killing someone, and Batman going out of his way to kill and even murder people.

The argument "it happened in the comic a few times" ignores exactly how the mythology of these characters are built, and how their general iconic traits leak into pop culture.

Again, youre missing the whole story, youre missing context. Have some patience ffs.
DC is famous for alternate versions of their characters and out of continuity stories.

For whatever reason there are a few fans who just seem to be all in on this Batman is a killer thing despite all the contrary attempts to prevent deaths. I don't get it but they will harp on how he has killed in the past and it's okay for him to just keep on killing now even though there has been a concerted effort for him not to.
I see this every once in a while, and it usually goes with the person just going with whatever the company puts out. It was the classic argument over the characterizations in BvS.

Or he could you know, keep on doing what he is doing. Just because you don't like what he has to say, doesn't mean he can't express his opinion on a message board.

Im not commanding anyone, just suggesting. As im free to do... You know, on a message board?

I mostly stay out of this thread because it has devolved into Batman's decision to kill. He's the catalyst for Robin leaving and clearly the series has gone for the throat, literally, as we see Robin stab a guy in the throat then stomp on another guy's throat.

If the series can go up from there, because there isn't much further down it can get short of mass murder, then maybe it will get better.

Again, youre missing the whole story, youre missing context. Have some patience ffs.
DC is famous for alternate versions of their characters and out of continuity stories.
What story am I missing? I was specifically talking about the argument that Batman can be the Punisher because it has happened a few times before. While you know, you ignored the entire context of my post, so you can get angry some more.

DC is also famous for forking up their characters on film and television more often then not. Leaving behind fundamental building blocks of characters, resulting in these alternative versions being rejected or running out of steam rather quickly. And considering how trash the first episode of Titans was, I can see that being our very destination again.

Im not commanding anyone, just suggesting. As im free to do... You know, on a message board?
Suggesting someone stop watching the show because you don't like the discussion they are having is exactly what kind of suggestion outside of you not so low key complaining about their views and you wanting to stop expressing them here?

Suggesting someone stop watching the show because you don't like the discussion they are having is exactly what kind of suggestion outside of you not so low key complaining about their views and you wanting to stop expressing them here?

No, im suggesting it because, in my opinion ofc, its pointless, goes in circles for weeks and adds nothing of value to discussing the actual show. At least not right now as Batmans behavior hasnt yet been mentioned or referenced in the actual show.
Im sure you can start a thread about what Batman is supposed to be like elsewhere.

I wanted to put this up yesterday but it was also my Bday yesterday and this place was busy too .

Anyways here it is below it'll also be in the star that plays Dick Grayson/ Robin/ Night wing thread since it's possible this might get looked over due to heated discussion prior to my posting .

hqdefault.jpg

DC Daily Ep.22: Interview with TITANS’ Star Brenton Thwaites

15K views Published on 15 Oct 2018

Today on DC Daily, we have a one-on-one interview with Robin himself, TITANS’ star Brenton Thwaites! Plus, a look into the upcoming OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE and the ARROW Season 7 Premiere! DC Daily is a five-days-a-week webseries offering an unprecedented look inside the world of DC. Featuring a team of hosts and regular first looks and exclusives, each episode offers news, discussions, announcements, interviews and much more. Subscribe so you never miss an episode…or even better, sign up for DC Universe for extended episodes featuring exclusive panel discussions that you’ll only see there!

source: DC Youtube channel

What the bad place good are 'alternate versions' if they can't even get the genuine versions right first? If you're not interested in bringing the characters to life as their act and appear in the comics in the first place then what good is doing the show? The idiotic trend in TV now seems to be to make shows for people who don't actually exist. It's not just Titans, it's a bunch of shows thinking they have to reinvent something that isn't broken under the misguided idea there's an audience who will embrace it. It makes absolutely no sense from a marketing perspective to do the exact opposite of what your fans want to watch. The show doesn't have to be exact like its source material, but it has to capture the spirit of it.

Last edited:
Honestly based off the first episode, this wasn't a reinvention as drastic or crucial as many people initially made it out to be. Nor does it come off as overtly grounded in dark or gritty as BvS theatrical film in a sense. I honestly didn't get that negative feelings that a lot of other fans got. You could see them as in a lost and dark place, but unlike Batman v Superman, you can actually get to show their personalities grow into a more hopeful atmosphere instead of seemingly rush into it and you get to understand each character. They honestly don't feel to different or unlike their comics or cartoon counterparts with the exception of we are seeing them curse more and a little more blood and gore to almost cartoonish level when they are trying to be grounded in some extent.

Based on people's reviews of the first three episodes, the pilot is recognizably the weakest episode but I am interested in seeing where they go from here.

So here is my opinion of the first episode for the moment. I have mixed feelings about the show thus far. I liked what they did with Raven. I had no problem with her look and I like the plot line for her in the show. It's actually the most interesting and best part of the show. Starfire there very little I like about this character. In my opinion she looks nothing like Starfire. At least with Raven and Robin they tried to get the look right. With Starfire it feels like they weren't even trying. This is not a knock against the actress just the look and costume design. As for her plot line goes it's complete crap and pays no attention to her powers as they are in the comic book. Part of her powers include durability so their no way she would gotten amnesia from a car accident. I also didn't like fact they just turned her in to a cold blooded killer. One could argue she has amnesia but still that's kind of a crap thing to do to the character right out the door which if I am not mistake is contricdictory to her character in comic book as I believe she supposed to be a kind and compassionate person. So I'm not liking Starfire so far.

Beast boy what can be said we only got one scene with him so to soon to talk about him.

This leaves Robin in some ways I like him but the violent brutality of the character doesn't remind me at all of the character. While Dick Grayson has had periods where he been at odds with Batman he still has always respected him and looked up to him. So to hear him dis Batman really bothered me. As again it contradicts the comic book character as we know him. I had no problem with the costume. I do think that he should transition from the Robin costume to Nightwing costume.

I am iffy on the show. For now I'll keep watching hope it improves. That being said one thing I want to address Batman does not kill. At least in mainstream comics he doesn't. In fact he very vocal on that he won't take a life. You can read Batman Under the Hood as a prime example of Batman will not kill. Now that being said the show so vague that I didn't have an issue with it. Till we get more details it's not worth getting upset and I'll explain why. It can come out later that Batman didn't actually kill any one and that it was all a mistake. So all of Dick anger issue were misplaced at least to a degree. So not really that big of a deal at the moment at least till we get more details.

What the bad place good are 'alternate versions' if they can't even get the genuine versions right first? If you're not interested in bringing the characters to life as their act and appear in the comics in the first place then what good is doing the show? The idiotic trend in TV now seems to be to make shows for people who don't actually exist. It's not just Titans, it's a bunch of shows thinking they have to reinvent something that isn't broken under the misguided idea there's an audience who will embrace it. It makes absolutely no sense from a marketing perspective to do the exact opposite of what your fans want to watch. The show doesn't have to be exact like its source material, but it has to capture the spirit of it.
the thing that mostly said of late is how the current day writers wantto do their own thing. and they don't care for anything before them. in the comic's it always fails cause no matter hos they say that they ruin the fact withthe word continuity . in that they are both fallow what was there befor their own stint as writers those character are more human with the fact that they remember those past event instead of for getting they went through certain event's and learn lession from them ins stead of repeating the same mistake that was resolve year ago for them or other thing they went through. I know I saw kryton inc say this this

LibidoLoca said:
So I learned Catman is real. Fairly Odd Parents wasn't lying.

It's interesting what was done with him after he appeared in the early run of the post resurrection Green Arrow series. I forget whether it was Kevin Smith or it was Brad Meltzer that used him but he was basically a fat washed up has been and getting rolled over by Ollie and Roy wakes him up to how low he has fallen and he regains his edge which leads to his time in the Secret Six which was mostly Simone handling him in some really cool stories but then again that was all back when the last gasp of continuity mattered and character history was seen as something rich to mine and not an obstacle for current writers to have to overcome or circumvent or maybe worst of all just ignore.

If I may, I can't recommend the Smith, Meltzer and Judd Winnick era of Green Arrow enough. good stuff all around. Well worth the read for the characterization and again, mining the GA mythos for compelling stories while adding to the character. I didn't always agree with additions but I could tell these guys cared about the character.

the real problem these days is that most of the current day writer have this train of thought is due to them wanting to make a name for them selves aand sadly thget it wrong when they start thinking like this and were screw the comic's up til this they they spread from Dc to marvel and back & forth cause go between both companies. and all it's lead to inthe book currently is Convolution. abut it's worse they start making the jump other mediums like tv and there should be more control there but they start doing same thing with in season's of tv serise next big thing are both movies and video games. that happen's well...

as to the fandom it's clear there part that want one clear direction and vision of the comic's done on film and other medium's so it doesn't bring about confusion. cause once the confusion happen it make those among the fandom split and it pit those that know thing against newbies that came in and thin the new current but not accurate stuff. you give people the accurate comic's and like it happened with my cousin's during the Holidays they read the phoenix among other thing and they ask why don't they just use the same scripts from the book but in more contemporary date?

and yeah it's hassle answering that but they said they preferred the one in the books . more recently I had a guy my own age at work ask what's the deal with batman vs superman thing and we're still good buddies.

but man that with Bat vs superman caused him confusion in that he thought batman and green arrow should be acting like the punisher killing people. and I had to Explain to him if they went that far the cop's will indeed hunt batman down and I said and then what ? cause once they start doing that and he has "no place to hide any more cause his money is frozen" and people know who he is." the point is if these stories are always supposed to be contemporary , something has to give, When the heroes cross a line.

It's why when the heroes were acting like the watch men in the comic's after that period came about it didn't make any sense any more and Dc rebooted with their new frontier comic line.

The heroes cross a line and it'll end for them no if or but's. and they are supposed to be finding a way to make life better for the people they protect in their city's . not running becoming killers and it's hard to stay hidden once they do that these days too. the city will turn on them and that's not what they them selves want. they wanted to bring hope to the city but couldn't by conventional mean's.

sadly the thing with dc is lack of direction . that doesn't mean they shouldn't tell the stories they want . but when they want to make name for them selves it get's in the ways a lot.

I don't like seeing splits among the fandom, fight over these thing ether. it's the worst part of it all.

I'm just seeing where this lead's, In this show. but if it like arrow which I dropped some time back by end of the mid seasons . it'll be the same case for this.

I haven't been able to get back to the flash lately I may like the actor's there, but if the stories keep falling apart and I'm not feeling it, I drop the show or subconsciously star pulling away from the show in that I'm doing anything else during that shows tile slot.

It seem's I'm almost only watching supergirl and on rare occasion black lighting. which is weird . I still like the actor's, but if the the stories fall apart from other area's I start to pull away.

oh I have this awesome image

Wally West Talk ⚡️‏ @LetsTalkWest 13h13 hours ago
Teen Titans 100 Pin-Up by Marcus To.

DpviF8oWsAAtTeV.jpg

Last edited:

I think the reason is pretty obvious. It’s fans of the Snyder version of Batman, who consistently defend his choice to make Batman an out and out killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"