To 3D, or not 3D? That is the question.

Tony Stark

Armored Avenger!
Reaction score
Kevin Feige is hinting at future 3D releases for Marvel films. It sounds like they are planning on making Captain America 3D, and that's fine, but it sounds like they are pushing to do 3D conversion on Thor.

STOP THE INSANITY. I'm sorry but the only one who should make the decision to go 3D is Kenneth Brannagh. I am so disgusted that studio execs are taking away creative power from the director, to arbitrarily make these decisions. You do not post production convert a 2D film to 3D, and if Clash of the Titans didn't prove that, I don't know what else will.

It almost makes me wish Avatar and Alice in Wonderland were abject failures, because all studio execs are basically forcing these decision on the film makers just to make more money.

Thor can be a very successful film without any 3D, and if you want to have a bigger profit margin, then go and put more IMAX screenings.

I'd love to hear your opinion, but I do not want to see Thor converted 3D post production.

Although I don't really care that much, I'd prefer it more if it were not in 3D

I don't think they should shoehorn 3D into Thor after filming. I don't think it's necessary for Captain America, either. But I'd love to see Avengers in 3D. It's the big payoff to what will at that point be like 5 years of build-up, so I think they should go crazy and do 3D, IMAX, whatever.

Yeah there's only a few scenes in a Thor movie I would see in 3D, but I say leave it alone.
I can see an Imax sized flim but leave the 3d out.

IMO, as long as a movie is SHOT in 3D, then there's no problem. It's the movies that are converted, post production, is where the problem lies. Besides if you (the general public) don't want to see it in 3D, then just go see the 2D version. I hate it when people complain, that 3D ruins the movie, blah blah blah, or whatever. There is a 2D alternative and nobody is forcing anyone to go see the 3D version. There are some people out there, such as myself, that actually enjoy the 3D. AS LONG AS THE MOVIE IS SHOT IN 3D.

No 3D; leave the movie as it is. I don't want to turn Thor into COTT, and if a movie didn't shoot as 3D then they should just forgetaboutit. They don't need 3D to make money if the movie is good, and I do believe Thor will be amazing.

So let me get this straight. If they convert this movie to 3d that means we can no longer watch it in 2d?

Nah, they always release a 2D version alongside the 3D one. Even Avatar had a 2D version, and 3D was arguably the biggest selling point of that film.

I can definetly see Thor in the Imax fromat.
That would match the majesty of the size of Asgard. Imagine the fight scenes with Frost giants!

No no, it'd still be watchable in 2D, just like Avatar. Post-3D effects aren't usually as good or as in-depth as movies shot to be 3D though. We wouldn't be getting Avatar.

Since Thor's already started, leave it 2D. Since Captain America is Joe Johnston and the poor guy already has a tough enough time making a good movie, don't let him try to figure out shooting specifically for 3D. If they're going to do a bang-up 3D movie, it should probably be Avengers.

Then what's all the biching about? I don't get it. No one forces you to see something one way or another. Why should I care if I could still watch it in 2d?

Then what's all the biching about? I don't get it. No one forces you to see something one way or another. Why should I care if I could still watch it in 2d?

Because in some cases 3D is the only option. I had no choice but to see Clash and Alice in 3D when I certainly would not have if 2D was available.

I guess people are worried that if they do 3D in post it'll end up really bad, like Clash of the Titans' 3D (according to everyone here, since I didn't see CotT), a lot of people will go see it in 3D and come away with a bad impression of Thor, like Clash of the Titans.

If you want to know what the *****ing is about, go see Clash of the Titans in 3D.

The problem is there is no good way to convert 2D cells to 3D and it can often damage the quality of the original print, from my understanding. Perhaps this can be fixed in the future, but right now that's the technology that exists.

Avatar was filmed for 3D from the get go, that's why it looks so beautiful.

Thor is being filmed in 2D, meaning it would have to go through a conversion process, meaning the 3D will be crap.

I don't care if they make a 3D movie, but don't make a crappy 3D movie the way Titans was, and then expect the public to pay full price. The studio execs love to do this, because it increases their profit margins.

Nah. I watched it in 2d as thats my preference. Certainly didn't think the movie was as awful as everyone proclaimed. Gave it a 5. But anyways I guess you need to be lucky enough to live where theatres give you options.

NO 3D. PLEASE!

For god's sake, this gimmick is getting old before it ever had a chance to be new again!

Even Avatar's intriguing "depth" 3D was only so interesting. 3D is NOT the future, Hollywood!

Ticket sales would seem to disagree. 3D movies are doing pretty well. I still watch any movie with 3D in 3D rather than 2D, 'cause I figure why not? I barely even notice the 3D after the first 10 minutes, but still--it's like having the choice of color and black and white and choosing black and white. The 3D's there, so why not?

Granted, I've only seen Avatar and computer animated films in 3D so far, so I haven't gotten a taste of the crappy kind of 3D yet. Maybe if/when I do, it'll change my mind.

I could care less about 3D......so...either way it really doesn't matter to me if Thor follows the same path that Hollywood is going.

3D has never been a selling point for me.
I did see AVATAR in 3D, but it did not seem to really added anything to it.
I chose NOT to see TITANS in 3D because every review said the 3D was so bad.
Since THOR was shot 2D, I say leave it that way and use the extra money that would have been spent to convert it to make the 2D version that much better.
If future Marvel films are in 3D, I guess I would see them in that format, but [like in AVATAR's case] that is the last reason I would be seeing it.

said this in the news thread:

yea i rather they not do it post conversion for thor since we are close to finishing of production. I rather have it held off to avengers where it would be prime to do, cause it gives them the rest of this yr to look into the 3d processes and different types of cameras and seeing how things can go, and do tests and all that. To see if they want to do it and all that. Where as thor would be messed up doing it in post, and it doesnt really fit with captain america and being in the 1940s and all that. Plus joe johnston on cap has stated he wants to shot on 2d hd cameras and not 3d in the past. And i am sure with production starts in less then a month and a half they already have equipment locked and ready to go with. And going into it this close to production for cap could damper its filming. But at least feige only said they were looking into it and not officially saying marvel studios films will be 3d like wb has stated for their upcoming film slates for next few yrs.

when i buy thor on blu ray 3d won't make any difference. so whatever happens in the cinema im not too worried about. 3d is just to get more money for the film. as long as it's not a cheesy mjolnir flying into the screen it'll be fine.

@ RouthIsSuperman

People who complain about a movie being in 3D have every right to.

If I want to see Thor next year at Pointe Orlando in the BIG IMAX and they released a 3D version of the movie they will ONLY show it in the IMAX as 3D there is no 2D alternitive. So for the people who complain about it maybe their movie theatres dont have the options for 2D and 3D as they'd like.

Dont tell people not to complain or argue.....these forums are 99.9% filled with people complaining about one thing or another....thats why its a discussion forum. If people didnt argue this would be pretty boring.

With that being said I HOPE they dont post 3D fail like they did with COTT. Id love to see THOR and CAP in 2D.

As Ive said before this 3D business has got to stop. The fad is really hurting movies not making them better....the executives of these companies think "God we can make TWICE THE AMOUNT OF MONEY IF ITS IN 3D!, we can just hike up the prices and itll be justifiable! MWUAHAHA"

I feel really bad for James Cameron....he had a great idea filming in 3D taht worked SO WELL for his film, but the industry now has just ***** all over it.....way to fail.

Last edited:
I don't even have an IMAX theater where I live, so I find it hard to sympathize if your main issue with 3D is that you'll 'only' be able to see the 2D version on a normal-sized movie screen like everyone else. But different strokes, I guess. ;)

heh the closest Imax to me is 3 hours away.

I would have no issue if it was shot in 3-D like AVATAR or How to Train Your Dragon... but adapting it after the fact is gonna make it look gimmicky like Clash of the Titan. No thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"