Tokyo Vice (HBO Max)

StarLord

<<<<<<<<<<
Reaction score
Michael Mann Direct Ansel Elgort Ken Watanabe HBO Max Pilot Tokyo Vice – Deadline

Michael Mann has been set by HBO Max to direct the pilot episode of Tokyo Vice, the drama series that stars Ansel Elgort and Ken Watanabe. Mann will potentially direct more episodes of the series in its freshman season, and he becomes executive producer alongside J.T. Rogers, John Lesher, Emily Gerson Saines, Alan Poul, Elgort, Destin Daniel Cretton and Watanabe.

Move brings an A-list filmmaker to one of HBO Max’s first drama series, and was written by Rogers based on Jake Adelstein's non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat. The drama captures Adelstein's daily descent into the neon soaked underbelly of Tokyo, where nothing, and no one is truly what or who they seem. It is informed by his memoir Tokyo Vice: An American Reporter On The Police Beat In Japan.

Production on the series begins in February on location in Japan. Endeavor Content is serving as the studio as well as handling international sales.

I'm all in, this sounds wonderful.

So ... not appropriate for children, I assume.

I'm not crazy about Elgort but Rinko Kikuchi, Michael Mann and Ken Watanabe? Can I inject it into my eyeballs?

Michael Mann Is Talking to Directors, Wondering When They Can Go Back to Work
I had shot about a third of the Tokyo Vice pilot in Tokyo when we stopped production and everybody returned to the states around March 18–19. It was a shock to return to LAX, because probably 70 percent of the people on the street in Tokyo were wearing masks. Restaurants had taken maybe a 10 percent hit, but that sense of containment — not so much in terms of physical proximity but in terms of hygiene — was much more organized. At LAX, nobody had gloves, nobody had masks — nobody at immigration, or customs, or the Coffee Bean. It was crazy. Whereas at Narita Airport, there wasn’t anybody without a mask; they took the precautions seriously. Japan on March 19 looked like Los Angeles does today.

At home, I’ve been editing remotely some of the scenes we shot, in this strange world of Evercast, which is the remote editing system that everybody’s been working on. It’s myself and, initially, an editor in Tokyo, and then myself and an editor here. It’s a fascinating, fascinating project, and Tokyo is spectacular; I still have an apartment there, so hopefully we’ll resume sometime. Working with Ansel Elgort has been fantastic, and I think everybody’s excited about the show.

The "neon" part sounds like it will be a modern day "Blade Runner"

Yama-Pi !!!!!!!!! :)
I am surprised!!!

His casting in this drama surely will bring his tons of fangirls across the country here to watch this drama. He is a big and extremely super popular among young girls and women here in Japan. His role as a host here will surely make hot topic among Johnnys's fangirls here, haha.

I have been a fan of his too since he still active as member of Johnnys Jr.'s boyband, NEWS in 2005-2013. Since he was graduated from boyband activity, he is grown into a solid actor which landed him a lot of drama and movie main leads here. Excited to see him land his first Western production debut here.

After Shun Oguri in Godzilla vs Kong, now its Yama-Pi's turn!! I am beyond happy!
Hopefully more Japanese actors can make their way into Hollywood.

Looks good to me. :)

Enjoying it so far, I loved the 'world building' that Michael Mann established with the 1st episode. My only (small) complaint is there is quite a big shift in tone with the change of directors that it's rather jarring (imo)

Enjoying it so far, I loved the 'world building' that Michael Mann established with the 1st episode. My only (small) complaint is there is quite a big shift in tone with the change of directors that it's rather jarring (imo)
Isn't Destin Daniel Cretton directing all the episodes besides Mann's pilot? That's what I'd heard originally.

This looks good enough to surmount Elgort's offstage ickiness and onstage blahness, so I'm hoping to get caught up soon.

I read the book during the early days of the pandemic and loved it. Really interested in this.

I'm not a fan of Ansel but I've really been digging this show so far. It's flowing quite nicely.

Ansel is annoying as heck but it seems like the character is supposed to be annoying, so ok.

Mann's episode was great. Only wish he could have directed more. It's crazy how much the rest of the show doesn't try to follow his lead with the aesthetic.

It has kept my interest the first two episodes I watched. Ill keep watching it for now. I have seen worse.

Ansel is annoying as heck but it seems like the character is supposed to be annoying, so ok.
The real Jake Adelstein is an executive producer in this so I doubt the show is trying to make him annoying. I personally like his character for the most part and I generally dislike Elgort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"