The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone else think that Tom was channelling Maggie Thatcher in his speeches as Bane?

His delivery of some of the lines sounded just like maggie, there was one line in particular when he says something about "the people" that was uncanny.

Ra's Al Ghul weren't against revenge as well. He says he had his revenge in BB and asks why Bruce didn't?He even comes back and burn Wayne Mayor down just like Bruce burned LOS temple.

Bruce killed Ra's mission and himself (at least Talia thinks so).. She & Bane tried to kill everything Batman did and himself and also finish Ra's Al Ghul's mission.

That's not so difficult to see. What Ra's Al Ghul wanted Bruce's worst nightmare. Fullfilling his destiny would be killing two birds with one stone.

tumblr_m7zfyvtR6r1qheh20o1_500.jpg

tumblr_m7zfyvtR6r1qheh20o2_1280.jpg

Yes that's been known for a long time. I like his new voice and lines for the prologue. That video reminds me how impossible it is to hear him

People need to stop quoting Fake Ra’s Al Ghul from BATMAN BEGINS in order to explain why Gotham would justifiably be a target for the League of Shadows in TDKR. That situation did not apply to TDKR’s Gotham. Gotham was experiencing unpredecented safety.

Based on what the film presents, Talia and Bane are basically just crazy people who want to blow up Gotham as revenge for something Bruce didn’t really do in the first place. Their justifications for it make no sense. At all. Its utter nonsense.

The whole “poisoning Gotham’s soul with hope” angle Bane introduces is also nonsense, because nothing Bane does should realistically or logically inspire hope in the people of Gotham, but rather despair and suffering.

Their motivations are just incredibly weak. And most of what Bane and Talia say to justify their weakly motivated actions is nonsense. Worse, it is all derivative of Ra’s Al Ghul’s own “revenge” motivations in BATMAN BEGINS, which were ALSO illogical nonsense.

The main problem with the writing of the villains plots in TDKR is that the movie, instead of being honest about its content, and admitting that its basically all about revenge against Bruce Wayne/Batman, and about Talia finishing what Ra’s Al Ghul started regardless of Gotham’s current state, instead of this, the writer tries to make his villains motivations look less simplistic and cliché, and tries to justify Gotham as corrupt, despite the fact that this contradicts with the basic premise of the film, which we are frankly, beat over the head with from the opening minutes of the film. This ends up making the writer/s look STUPID, because Bane and Talia are basically spouting illogical nonsense, with motivations that fall apart upon the first analysis.

This.

For all of Nolan's talk of trying to find a villain who wasn't derivative of Joker's traits, he ends up purposely making another villain derivative of Ra's Al Ghul's. Given what thread this is, I expect that many people won't agree with Guard's assessment, he is right nonetheless.

People need to stop quoting Fake Ra’s Al Ghul from BATMAN BEGINS in order to explain why Gotham would justifiably be a target for the League of Shadows in TDKR. That situation did not apply to TDKR’s Gotham. Gotham was experiencing unpredecented safety.

Based on what the film presents, Talia and Bane are basically just crazy people who want to blow up Gotham as revenge for something Bruce didn’t really do in the first place. Their justifications for it make no sense. At all. Its utter nonsense.

So Bruce didn't betray the League of Shadows, defeat Ra's and stop his plan of destroying Gotham, and left him to die on the train? Because last I checked, Bruce did all of those things.

Bane and Talia's motivation to me was to complete the last work that their master didn't finish, and in the process, torture and defeat Batman.

The whole “poisoning Gotham’s soul with hope” angle Bane introduces is also nonsense, because nothing Bane does should realistically or logically inspire hope in the people of Gotham, but rather despair and suffering.

I did see that inspired hope in the criminals, which of course it would since they were free to roam. I do question if inspired or sparked something in the poor. Selina's friend actually seemed happy at what was going on while Selina saw it as the way it was.

Their motivations are just incredibly weak. And most of what Bane and Talia say to justify their weakly motivated actions is nonsense. Worse, it is all derivative of Ra’s Al Ghul’s own “revenge” motivations in BATMAN BEGINS, which were ALSO illogical nonsense.

If you're referring to the "You burnt my house and left me for dead. Consider us even." line, I agree. But I don't see how their revenge was derivative of that, as their reasons for revenge made more sense to me.

This.

For all of Nolan's talk of trying to find a villain who wasn't derivative of Joker's traits, he ends up purposely making another villain derivative of Ra's Al Ghul's. Given what thread this is, I expect that many people won't agree with Guard's assessment, he is right nonetheless.

For you, perhaps. But I never thought Nolan was really trying to "hide" anything about it. Bane never disputes that he wants to kill Bruce at some point, and seeing as he proclaims himself as the LOS, there to fulfill Ras Al Ghul's destiny, then it stands to reason he would also have a bone to pick about his death. I don't see what the secret is about?

Furthermore, If you are to believe LOS as an organization is as powerful as Ras said they were in BB, then it shouldn't be that hard to believe that they could find out what's really going on in Gotham. Presumably it took Talia a good portion of time to infiltrate WE, which means she & Bane were probably coming for Bruce regardless of Gotham's state of being, as DoomsdayApex already pointed out. The plan could've, and probably needed to be, slowly implemented well before the city was clean for 8 years.

Destroying Gotham is just icing on the cake. Abu Musab al-Zarqawi pledged allegiance to Islam & Bin Laden too, but still went against them in certain regards. They even helped give up his whereabouts after he become anti Shia Islam, something Al-Qaeda didn't agree with. Bane was already described as radical in a sense, it stands to reason he & Talia could be extremists who, while loyal to LOS, have their own plan too, whether Gotham was crime free or not.

Especially if you consider the whole reason for Bruce rebelling against them in the first place, his inability to murder. Why would this man, who couldn't stay with the LOS because he couldn't murder, all of a sudden kill Ras Al Ghul, the cops & Harvey Dent, then disappear? If I were Bane or Talia, it would be enough to peek my interest to come to Gotham.

Last edited:
I also think it fair to point out that corruption does not refer simply to organized crime. Just look at Daggett or, hell, Bruce's speech about the "fat spreads". Clearly corruption still thrives among the Gotham elite.

I still think that Bane spent a lot of time being a man of his own after he was excommunicated from the LoS. The CIA are apparently aware of him in the beginning of the film, and I think there's a lot of backstory about his mercenary days which isn't in the film. So his army which he brings to Gotham may not be entirely the LoS remnants, but a lot of mercenaries/terrorists which have no ties to the LoS at all.

I'd imagine he came back with the League some time after Ra's death in BB, together with Talia, but I also think his motivations are on a personal level as well. He was excommunicated, he wanted to prove himself worthy. There's something very elemental about Bane, he's almost like an ancient warrior - the way he speaks and behaves, the fact that he fights Batman like a gladiator with an audience. And if you notice his reaction when Batman says "You were excommunicated by a gang of psychopaths" - this is probably the only time he's really 'hurt' in the first fight.

Last edited:
@Guard:

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with your assessment. At all.

Bane's and Talia's motivations are not weak. They are terrorists who sincerely believe that the destruction of Gotham (the actions they take in the process) will inspire citizens from all over the world to take the initiative and fight crime and corruption. Albeit, Bane, Talia and the remaining members of The League of Shadows aren't exactly just destroying Gotham and seeking a fight with Bruce/Batman for 'tribute' purposes (in the memory of Ra's al Ghul and their fallen brothers). This is also obviously personal for Bane, Talia and The League -- it's retribution. They wanted Bruce to watch in horror (while being hopeless in The Pit) as The League of Shadows burned Gotham (with its inhabitants) to the ground.

Seriously, I don't see what's feeble about their motivations. Would you call Al-Qaeda's motivations weak as well simply because you're a non-believer and an 'infidel'? Of course, but these men and women are so misguided and/or consumed by rage and revenge that their convictions cannot be wavered or shaken. To them, it's more than enough to slaughter the innocent in order to serve a higher cause.

Take a bow:applaud

Anyone take a guess what's under the tag? ;)
tumblr_m7ztukWbzy1qheh20o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7ztukWbzy1qheh20o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7ztukWbzy1qheh20o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m7ztukWbzy1qheh20o4_500.jpg

(I apologise for any typos, all will be fixed by the time I get to upload it)

This.

Oooooh, I see. So, the majority of the thread is wrong because you feel that this is a 'Bane' thread and anything that doesn't support your opinion is wrong (and is of biased sentiments). Duly noted. Ironically, I could just say that Guard's, Joker's and your motivations are weak simply because you weren't satisfied by what The Nolans wrote for the character.

Interesting.

I still think that Bane spent a lot of time being a man of his own after he was excommunicated from the LoS. The CIA are apparently aware of him in the beginning of the film, and I think there's a lot of backstory about his mercenary days which isn't in the film. So his army which he brings to Gotham may not be entirely the LoS remnants, but a lot of mercenaries/terrorists which have no ties to the LoS at all.

I'd imagine he came back with the League some time after Ra's death in BB, together with Talia, but I also think his motivations are on a personal level as well. He was excommunicated, he wanted to prove himself worthy. There's something very elemental about Bane, he's almost like an ancient warrior - the way he speaks and behaves, the fact that he fights Batman like a gladiator with an audience. And if you notice his reaction when Batman says "You were excommunicated by a gang of psychopaths" - this is probably the only time he's really 'hurt' in the first fight.

Great stuff.

This is true, something I've been pondering as well. If I'm not mistaken, while maybe not totally adverse to weapons, I thought a big thing for the LOS was the "theatricality and deception." They were essentially ninjas, I don't recall them really using traditional firearms & weaponry like Bane's army does. Even their endgame in BB was of a more sneaky variety.

This is true, something I've been pondering as well. If I'm not mistaken, while maybe not totally adverse to weapons, I thought a big thing for the LOS was the "theatricality and deception." They were essentially ninjas, I don't recall them really using traditional firearms & weaponry like Bane's army does. Even their endgame in BB was of a more sneaky variety.

Ras did say in BB that they tried various ways of taking over Gotham, not all involving ninja's and the fact Bane was thrown out of the LOS for his unique "style" may also mean he is not your typical LOS member.

But then again remember the shadows belong to him.

Bane and Ra's had different approaches.

Ra's talked about burning London, putting plague rats on tradeships, and finally having the world watch as Gotham tore itself apart. He wanted to send a message to the rest of the world: if you're as vile as "insert target city here" , change or we'll pay you a visit.

Bane? Bane wanted violent revolution. He didn't want simple changes in the way the politicians et. al. ran things; he wanted them to answer to the people they wronged *after* said people had been whipped into a frenzy. Bane was more militant than Ra's, a more demagogue than philosopher.

Bane and Ra's had different approaches.

Ra's talked about burning London, putting plague rats on tradeships, and finally having the world watch as Gotham tore itself apart. He wanted to send a message to the rest of the world: if you're as vile as "insert target city here" , change or we'll pay you a visit.

Bane? Bane wanted violent revolution. He didn't want simple changes in the way the politicians et. al. ran things; he wanted them to answer to the people they wronged *after* said people had been whipped into a frenzy. Bane was more militant than Ra's, a more demagogue than philosopher.
Yep.

@Guard:

I'm sorry, but I just don't agree with your assessment. At all.

Bane's and Talia's motivations are not weak. They are terrorists who sincerely believe that the destruction of Gotham (the actions they take in the process) will inspire citizens from all over the world to take the initiative and fight crime and corruption. Albeit, Bane, Talia and the remaining members of The League of Shadows aren't exactly just destroying Gotham and seeking a fight with Bruce/Batman for 'tribute' purposes (in the memory of Ra's al Ghul and their fallen brothers). This is also obviously personal for Bane, Talia and The League -- it's retribution. They wanted Bruce to watch in horror (while being hopeless in The Pit) as The League of Shadows burned Gotham (with its inhabitants) to the ground.

Seriously, I don't see what's feeble about their motivations. Would you call Al-Qaeda's motivations weak as well simply because you're a non-believer and an 'infidel'? Of course, but these men and women are so misguided and/or consumed by rage and revenge that their convictions cannot be wavered or shaken. To them, it's more than enough to slaughter the innocent in order to serve a higher cause.
Quite.

Really, this argument is getting as tiresome as beastmode's 'Tom Hardy is too small they should have got Dwayne Johnson' BS over and over. Can we give it a rest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"