The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bane was easily my favorite character of the movie (the villains are almost always more interesting then the hero in this trilogy).

I'd love Bane the first half of the movie. Really a monster who is in control of everything. In every scene he is in he is a menace.

Then the second part of the movie, in which we don't see him much, that menacing monstruous feeling disappears. If they take the city hostage for months, what has he been doing there after flying Bruce to the other side of the world and back?
It feels like he hasn't been doing there much after returning from putting Bruce in the pit. He is shown rounding up some people, but that's all.

What was his plan at that moment?
Bane looked like a masterplanner in the first half of the movie. The second half of the movie I'm just wondering what is his plan now? Clearly he wants to blow up the city. But why wait with that so long? The city has already teared itself apart. Somehow most people are still able to live safely in their home (like Foley) while they showed in the beginning that eveyrbody isn't safe anymore because the poor people attack the rich. That threatening feeling is completely gone.

Why doesn't Bane just leave the city with Talia and activate the nuclear device? Bruce would be able to see the explosion/destruction of Gotham on that television in the pit and Bane would have completely destroyed Bruce's spirit. Why wait so long? Why not leave and activate the bomb? Why wait there with Talia for the last hours to arrive, and to die in the blast what it looked like?

The plan felt just weird in that last act of the movie.

Does anyone know what Bane was doing in the first sewer scene? He was turned around, crouched down, working on somthing when the mercs came with Gordon, he poured something out. Minor detail, but I couldn't see what it was.

Another thing I'd like to point out is how after releasing the prisoners, he didn't seem so powerful anymore. I mean he still barked orders at the mercs, but he seemed to be content, as if he fulfilled what his destiny, which was defeating Batman and freeing those incarcerated. Since he lived a long terrible life in prison. I think its portrayed more than anything in the court, when he was just an observant in the crowd. Destroying Gotham was more of Ras and Talia's plan that he was appointed to carry out. Idk, just my two cents.

So where do you think Bane ranks in the pantheon of movie villains? Obviously the joker is probably in the top ten or 5 but is bane up there with the best of em?

Does anyone know what Bane was doing in the first sewer scene? He was turned around, crouched down, working on somthing when the mercs came with Gordon, he poured something out. Minor detail, but I couldn't see what it was.

Another thing I'd like to point out is how after releasing the prisoners, he didn't seem so powerful anymore. I mean he still barked orders at the mercs, but he seemed to be content, as if he fulfilled what his destiny, which was defeating Batman and freeing those incarcerated. Since he lived a long terrible life in prison. I think its portrayed more than anything in the court, when he was just an observant in the crowd. Destroying Gotham was more of Ras and Talia's plan that he was appointed to carry out. Idk, just my two cents.

I think he really wanted the Gothamites to be doing the work themselves. He just set the ball rolling, and then let them run their own revolution.

This is my opinion on Bane. Hardy's performance is like putting an old record of your favorite album by your favorite band. You can hear all the little nuances in Hardy's voice. The performance feels really raw. When you mix Nolan with a good, young actor on the rise and make him the villain, magic happens. Some of Bane feels like a throwback to the campy sixties show Batman series. But then you realize he is anything but campy within the film. Particularly his first fight Batman/Bruce where he just taunts and mocks him through out the whole thing. Hardy creates an unsettling character, the voice of Bane contradicts the physicality and vice-versa. I think Hardy's performance as Bane will pick up more and more appreciation as the days roll on.

Tom Hardy did a great job doing a difficult task. By & large acting with his body & eye's. I thought his use of his eye's was outstanding. He could have let the job get too big for him. But, insted he has able to bring Bane to life if a real and haunting way.

You know, a part of me thinks that one of the reasons why Bane ended up caring for Talia in prison was because in a lot of ways, she represented the only sense of "innocence" that he had come to known in a place that was surrounded with guilty and treasonous people.

You know, a part of me thinks that one of the reasons why Bane ended up caring for Talia in prison was because in a lot of ways, she represented the only sense of "innocence" that he had come to known in a place that was surrounded with guilty and treasonous people.
What was it that Conti's character said?
"The protector saw this child's innocence as the redemption for those in this hell."

Tom Hardy did a great job doing a difficult task. By & large acting with his body & eye's. I thought his use of his eye's was outstanding. He could have let the job get too big for him. But, insted he has able to bring Bane to life if a real and haunting way.

His eyes and the way he shook his head during that blackgate speech, oh man.

Also, I haven't seen many people talking about when he tells his goon "Search him [Gordon], then I will kill you."
And then the way Hardy's fingers move while he's waiting for the guy to search Gordon is so creepy and menacing, like he's impatient and just wants to get it over with it. Brilliant acting.

I found Bane to be just as compelling a villain as the Joker, but people really do need to realize that they are exact opposites, and thus the "Ledger-sized hole" they keep bringing up doesn't fly with me.

Last edited:
I think he really wanted the Gothamites to be doing the work themselves. He just set the ball rolling, and then let them run their own revolution.

And then blow them to bits. Give them that false feeling of hope.

Truly the most devious villain ideology I've seen in a long time.

Bane looked like a masterplanner in the first half of the movie. The second half of the movie I'm just wondering what is his plan now? Clearly he wants to blow up the city. But why wait with that so long? The city has already teared itself apart. Somehow most people are still able to live safely in their home (like Foley) while they showed in the beginning that eveyrbody isn't safe anymore because the poor people attack the rich. That threatening feeling is completely gone.

I don't think it was his plan. It was Talia's.

When Bruce and Alfred were watching the footage of Bane and Alfred was pointing out his speed and power and how Bruce was no match for him, it reminded me of Mickey talking to Rocky about Clubber Lang, I almost expected a "You can't win Bats!" from Alfred. :D

Bane was easily my favorite character of the movie (the villains are almost always more interesting then the hero in this trilogy).

I'd love Bane the first half of the movie. Really a monster who is in control of everything. In every scene he is in he is a menace.

Then the second part of the movie, in which we don't see him much, that menacing monstruous feeling disappears. If they take the city hostage for months, what has he been doing there after flying Bruce to the other side of the world and back?
It feels like he hasn't been doing there much after returning from putting Bruce in the pit. He is shown rounding up some people, but that's all.

What was his plan at that moment?

Why doesn't Bane just leave the city with Talia and activate the nuclear device? Bruce would be able to see the explosion/destruction of Gotham on that television in the pit and Bane would have completely destroyed Bruce's spirit. Why wait so long? Why not leave and activate the bomb? Why wait there with Talia for the last hours to arrive, and to die in the blast what it looked like?

The plan felt just weird in that last act of the movie.

Yeah, I completely agree with you.

Even in their first fight. Bane is just a beast, but in the second fight, it seems he loses too easy.

What amazes me about reviews and podcasts things is how much they seriously don't understand what Bane was doing, even though he spells it out to Batman himself.

There's so much talk about how Bane is on the side of "the 99%" which is to completely miss the point.

Bane manipulates the people of Gotham starts a "revolution" to give them a sense of hope before blowing up the city.

He directly spells out that this is what he was doing.

What amazes me about reviews and podcasts things is how much they seriously don't understand what Bane was doing, even though he spells it out to Batman himself.

There's so much talk about how Bane is on the side of "the 99%" which is to completely miss the point.

Bane manipulates the people of Gotham starts a "revolution" to give them a sense of hope before blowing up the city.

He directly spells out that this is what he was doing.

And fans wonder why Nolan treats his audience like fifth graders...

Seriously, I don't understand how people missed the point to Bane's and Talia's master scheme. It was quite simple (but devious).

And fans wonder why Nolan treats his audience like fifth graders...

Seriously, I don't understand how people missed the point to Bane's and Talia's master scheme. It was quite simple (but devious).
Yeah, I thought this was pretty obvious as well. I think people mostly had a problem with the execution rather than the idea. The problem was that we never really saw the execution of Bane's plan.
We saw some rich people being taken from their homes, a couple guys in the military switching sides, but there was no reaction from the "people" of Gotham. All we got were empty streets and a battle between the police and Bane's men. If there was more time spent on the people really believing in Bane's plan, then carrying it out, then it would have resonated more with the audience. It's kind of a silly plan too when you include the nuclear bomb as well. Why does he need to turn the people against the wealthy if he is just going to blow up the city anyway? Just pick one or the other. Honestly I just wish they left the bomb out and focused on the battle for the people's allegiance either good (Batman) or bad (Bane). This would have been an interesting movie if they had just stuck to that. In the finale they could have unmasked Batman to all the people and this could have inspired everyone in the city to realize that the very person they were fighting against was the one trying to save them. This would have been a much more bold and rousing finale.

I don't think it was his plan. It was Talia's.

I agree. I think he was doing it all for her. We know all that crap he said to the public was just BS because he was giving them false hope. It wasn't his own personal beliefs.

Yeah, I thought this was pretty obvious as well. I think people mostly had a problem with the execution rather than the idea. The problem was that we never really saw the execution of Bane's plan.
We saw some rich people being taken from their homes, a couple guys in the military switching sides, but there was no reaction from the "people" of Gotham. All we got were empty streets and a battle between the police and Bane's men. If there was more time spent on the people really believing in Bane's plan, then carrying it out, then it would have resonated more with the audience. It's kind of a silly plan too when you include the nuclear bomb as well. Why does he need to turn the people against the wealthy if he is just going to blow up the city anyway? Just pick one or the other. Honestly I just wish they left the bomb out and focused on the battle for the people's allegiance either good (Batman) or bad (Bane). This would have been an interesting movie if they had just stuck to that. In the finale they could have unmasked Batman to all the people and this could have inspired everyone in the city to realize that the very person they were fighting against was the one trying to save them. This would have been a much more bold and rousing finale.

I think you missed the point to Bane's/Talia's plan as well...

this

I think you missed the point to Bane's/Talia's plan as well...
No I understood the plan.
Bane was using the plight of the disenfranchised to inspire them to "take back their city." In actuality he was manipulating them into a false sense of hope and used that hope to obtain the authority he needed to control and eventually destroy the city.
I got it... Maybe you need to reread what I wrote. Not an insult, just pointing out that I heard what he said in the movie. The issue again was execution and pointlessness of
the bomb!

No I understood the plan.
Bane was using the plight of the disenfranchised to inspire them to "take back their city." In actuality he was manipulating them into a false sense of hope and used that hope to obtain the authority he needed to control and eventually destroy the city.
I got it... Maybe you need to reread what I wrote. Not an insult, just pointing out that I heard what he said in the movie. The issue again was execution and pointlessness of
the bomb!

I thought the execution was fine (a bit rushed due to time constraints) but I do not see how the bomb was useless. The Fushion Reactor was once a symbol of hope that was then turned into an instrument of destruction. It was a literal allegorical sign of false hope not only for Gotham but Bruce Wayne (that would eventual lead to the end). The bomb served its purpose.

The film needed that V FOR VENDETTA montage/series of moments.

Again, his whole point was to give the people of Gotham a false hope, a feeling of empowerment so that in the end their suffering was that much worse. He spells this out, verbally and directly.

I thought the execution was fine (a bit rushed due to time constraints) but I do not see how the bomb was useless. The Fushion Reactor was once a symbol of hope that was then turned into an instrument of destruction. It was a literal allegorical sign of false hope for Gotham (that would eventual lead to the end). The bomb served its purpose.
It's useless because it serves no other purpose than to reinforce what is already there.
Did Bane plan to blow up the city the whole time? He must have because they were still there moments before the bomb was going to go off. Why turn the people against the city if you are just going to use the bomb? What goal are they trying to accomplish by manipulating the people of Gotham rather than just using the bomb? To simply inspire hope in the people, then take it away? The bomb seems to serve no other real purpose then providing that "countdown" moment in the movie. Sure we can see the symbolism of the bomb as a viewer from the outside, but would the people of Gotham realize that the bomb used against them was actually intended to aid them before? As far as I can remember at the football scene Bane simply explains that it is a bomb (I may be wrong here) so the people never really get the idea that it was built to supply them with clean reusable energy. All and all it just seems pointless and detracts from the most interesting ideas in the film. To me, the bomb is only there to supply the finale with more tension. That was my major problem with the movie. It spent all it's time trying to build up to a grand finale rather than being patient with the story and letting it flow naturally.

Last edited:
Again, his whole point was to give the people of Gotham a false hope, a feeling of empowerment so that in the end their suffering was that much worse. He spells this out, verbally and directly.
Again, got that. Why does the
bomb
need to be in there? It just muddles the story. If the plan had been just to turn the city up on itself by pitting rich against poor, then it would have been a much more satisfying story. I get what he said they were trying to do, but why? Ras al Ghul attempted to restore the balance by destroying the city. Why do they need to manipulate the people if he already has the means for their destruction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back