The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane XXX

the way he says "BLINDING!" is up there as well.

I prefer "ah, you think darkness is your ally...".
I like this one - because the environment and situation changes but it doesn't phase Bane. If anything he relaxes further.

Bane had a ton of memorable lines. That's one thing that I really liked about Nolan's Batman main villains. Ra's, The Joker & Bane have some incredibly memorable lines.

Bane is very much the end of the equation as villains go in the trilogy for me. The connection with Ra's and League is obvious but I also see less overt shades of Scarecrow (the mask), the Joker (theatricality, destruction, known only by alias) and Dent (mirror to Bruce, seeking revenge, inspiration to Gotham) layered in.

Actually upon looking at it i'm surprised someone would want to drop a 200lbs man in gear onto his own knee?

That looks like it could cause some damage too.
that thought made my knees hurt.
:funny: Batman is an extreme planker.
lmao
Bane had a ton of memorable lines. That's one thing that I really liked about Nolan's Batman main villains. Ra's, The Joker & Bane have some incredibly memorable lines.

two-face imo has the least memorable lines but a stronger emotional presence

imo has the least memorable lines but a stronger emotional presence
That's a perfect way of putting it actually. :up:

The final scene with Two-Face, Batman, Gordon and the family is easily one of the most emotionally raw moments of the series.

Anyone have speculation of the nature of Bane's injury or what his pain medicine is and where he got it from? I assume it's like nerve damage. Kind of like that condition where it feels like your skin is perpetually on fire.

Anyone have speculation of the nature of Bane's injury or what his pain medicine is and where he got it from? I assume it's like nerve damage. Kind of like that condition where it feels like your skin is perpetually on fire.

Sounds possible. The film presents a scenario where he’s attacked by a big mob of prisoners, probably with their fists or whatever they got their hands on.

Anyway, welcome to the forums Bane Cook. I’m recalling a ‘rumour’ which described Bane eating steak in Wayne Manor, being cool as a cucumber or something like that. :funny:

i like to see it as an elaborate vaporizer/inhaler for his asthma

Sounds possible. The film presents a scenario where he’s attacked by a big mob of prisoners, probably with their fists or whatever they got their hands on.

Anyway, welcome to the forums Bane Cook. I’m recalling a ‘rumour’ which described Bane eating steak in Wayne Manor, being cool as a cucumber or something like that. :funny:

Well yea it's his back that was injured right? So I don't know what else it could be besides that that would leave him in perpetual agony. When they tried to fix and it heals wrong, it's probably too risky to go back and try to correct it since it could potentially leave him paralyzed. I've heard of people having back injuries and it leaves a burning pain in your body like your arm for example even though there's nothing wrong with the arm. That's got to suck.

And thanks. :woot:

Tom Hardy's performance remains one of the best in the franchise history. His cold stare, posture, subtle movements, etc all radiated of pure intimidation. He reminded me of a Silverback ready to snap at any moment.

For sure! The one part that exemplifies his performance to me is the glare he gives to Pavel on the plane. So menacing & evil, without one word being spoken.

I prefer "ah, you think darkness is your ally...".

That whole speech, from the time Batman turns the lights off until Bane breaks him, is just....I can't stop watching it or skipping to it. It was the same way with the Joker interrogation scene in TDK. They're both neck and neck as my favorite moments of this trilogy. It's a powerful, powerful scene man.

Bane is very much the end of the equation as villains go in the trilogy for me. The connection with Ra's and League is obvious but I also see less overt shades of Scarecrow (the mask), the Joker (theatricality, destruction, known only by alias) and Dent (mirror to Bruce, seeking revenge, inspiration to Gotham) layered in.

Not only that, but at least to me, it seems that Nolan prefers the more frightening and visually arresting villains. I do too, and I theorized back when TDK first came out that Bane was essentially the only villain left that could fill that void of city-wide destruction & visual flair while still working within Nolan's vision.

Last edited:
I keep repeating at home "Let the games begiiin!" to my sister. I do a pretty good imitation. :oldrazz:

Not only his lines, but also the way Hardy delivered them in his muffled voice were so great. He made the character so much fun to watch. I loved his portrayal of Bane.

hardy was great. powerful and intense performance. bane was a great villain right up until the reveal and his defeat at the end.

I hope this man chooses a project with a lot of meat on it's bones. Hardy is oscar material if given the right stuff to work with. I look forward to anything this man acts in, he's flawless in anything he does. The next generation of actors is Tom Hardy!

I hope this man chooses a project with a lot of meat on it's bones. Hardy is oscar material if given the right stuff to work with. I look forward to anything this man acts in, he's flawless in anything he does. The next generation of actors is Tom Hardy!

He's reported to be in the Splinter Cell movie. On one hand, Splinter Cell used to be one of my favorite video game franchises and I think it has the potential to make a great movie and Hardy a great Sam Fisher. If they do do it right, it could do for video game films what TDK did for comic book films. But I have a feeling that won't happen.

what did TDK do for comic book films? they were already a credible a lucrative genre long before TDK.

what did TDK do for comic book films? they were already a credible a lucrative genre long before TDK.

TDK quite literally blended the comic book genre into the crime drama and proved that a comic book film could: a.) be treated with total seriousness and b.) make a gazillion dollars at the box office. It was the first comic book film to be able to do both.

Spider-Man 2 made a lot of money and got rave reviews, but it was still very visibly a comic book film. It felt like a comic book, and it should have.

Begins proved that you could treat comic book material seriously and make a great movie out of it, but it didn't light any fires at the box office.

The Dark Knight quite literally defied the genre, to the point where there was an outrage at the fact that it wasn't nominated for Best Picture. No other movie before that ever had such a reaction.

TDK isn't the first crime/serious comic book movie either. you could say the first batman movie in 89 did that. or v for vendetta. or road to perdition. or numerous other examples.

and the outrage that it didn't get a best picture nom? from fanboys? who cares what they say. it wasn't best picture worthy.

it's a great movie, one of my favourites. but defined the genre? put it on the map? don't make me laugh. it was a great action/crime thriller that happened to feature comic book characters. that's it.

Neither 89 or V for Vendetta are crime drama oriented films at all, you may want to do your research on what that particular genre consists of.

yes they are. 89 has elements of a mob/mafia film. it's also a very clever satire of the 80s. joker even starts out as a capo for a mob family. v for vendetta is not a crime film in the sense it features mafia or the mob, but it's still a crime film.

tdk is no more a crime film than those films are. it has the mob, and cops, and some incorrect use of police procedural elements. it also has a guy running around in a bat costume and another guy dressed up as a clown.

like i said, it's a great, great film. but it makes me laugh when people pretend it was anything more than a great action thriller crime film featuring a guy dressed as a bat.

TDK isn't the first crime/serious comic book movie either. you could say the first batman movie in 89 did that. or v for vendetta. or road to perdition. or numerous other examples.

I didn't say it was. BB was also a crime/serious comic book movie. The first Batman didn't defy the genre, it defined it. At that point the only real commercially viable comic book film was Superman, which had been years earlier. When Burton's Batman came out, there wasn't much to compare it to in terms of the comic book genre. By the time TDK came out there was five other Batman films, three Spider-Man films, a Daredevil film, two Fantastic Four films, three X-men films, etc. You get the point. People had a preconceived notion of what superhero films should be, TDK took that and twisted it on its head, even more than Begins did, and while doing so it managed to become one of the biggest movies of all time.

Also, V for Vendetta was a well received film but it didn't make even close to what TDK did at the box-office. Does that make it an inferior film? No, but it makes it a lot less popular one. As for Road to Perdition, 90% of the people who saw that movie didn't even know it was based off a comic book, so, that argument doesn't hold up much weight.

and the outrage that it didn't get a best picture nom? from fanboys? who cares what they say. it wasn't best picture worthy.

Not just from the fans. From critics all around the world who hailed it as one of the best films of the year and cried foul at the Academy. And guess what? The Academy listened and expanded the number of best picture nominations the following year. One of the most well reviewed films of the year and dozens, if not hundreds, of critics saying it got snubbed? As Gordon himself says, "you can't just sweep that".

it's a great movie, one of my favourites. but defined the genre? put it on the map? don't make me laugh. it was a great action/crime thriller that happened to feature comic book characters. that's it.

The Dark Knight is the only movie I know of where people who don't even like to go to the movies went to see it multiple times. It was a phenomenon. I wasn't around for 89's hype and release, but if it was half as amazing as TDK's, it must have been spectacular. Find me another superhero comic book film that had the same effect as TDK before TDK, I challenge you. A film that critics called foul at the Academy for not nominating, a film that made over half a billion in the US alone, a film that aclaimed, award winning directors like Sam Mendes have said:

"It was a game changer for everybody... what Nolan proved was that you can make a huge movie that is thrilling and entertaining and has a lot to say about the world we live in... That did help give me the confidence to take this movie [Skyfall] in directions that, without The Dark Knight, might not have been possible. Because also, people go, ‘Wow, that’s pretty dark,’ but then you can point to Dark Knight and go ‘Look at that – that’s a darker movie, and it took in a gazillion dollars!’"

I don't care if you hate or love The Dark Knight, to say it didn't make a huge impact on the genre and on movies in general is being really, really daft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"