The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane XXX

Understandable, but who is to say that Bane was ordered to go on missions? There have been copious amounts of generals and kings who have led their warriors into battle after all.
That's true but at least from the prologue he had to obtain that scientist for Talia's "energy" project.

Well to be fair, and I'm going to conjecture on this. Talia left the Pit since she was a child. Who knows how much time did Bane stayed down ther until Talia found Ra's and they rescued him. So Bane knows a lot more about the false hope that the Pit "used" to torture them. So, the plan of torturing Bruce that way, and using it on Gotham was more likely Bane's part. But the revenge part it's all Talia.
Ya I agree, it is just fun to really speculate why someone does something and a history of it.

You're not comparing some spandex material, to a metal mask that constantly feeds him painkillers, are you?

You're not comparing some spandex material, to a metal mask that constantly feeds him painkillers, are you?

Yup I am. A mask covered face, metal or not, is no excuse to make the character so hard to understand. Ya want your audience struggling to understand him do ya?

It spoiled Bane for a lot of folk.

i didn't struggle to understand him. in fact i think it would have been better if i did. it would have seemed more natural and less artificially created in an editing/sound suite.

but, i still liked his voice and the inflections hardy gave him. i understand how and why some people don't though.

Loved the voice. Made the character special for me. Never had much trouble understanding him.

In fact any times where there was less muffle on the voice and he was extra clear (most likely the ADR scenes) are what bothered me.

it would have seemed more natural and less artificially created in an editing/sound suite.

Yup. Ya could tell it was digitally messed with it. He sounded almost robotic sometimes.

i didn't struggle to understand him. in fact i think it would have been better if i did. it would have seemed more natural and less artificially created in an editing/sound suite.

but, i still liked his voice and the inflections hardy gave him. i understand how and why some people don't though.

Yea I really don't get how people had a hard time understanding him STILL. :huh: They even went back, made the deliver clearer, and louder! Bane was louder than everybody else in the movie. I think for those people there is no hope. He would have to speak with perfectly clear English for them to understand, removing all texture. A lot of the movie he was just screaming, "THIS IS ADR. LOOK AT HOW CLEAR I AM SPEAKING NOW," Much to my chagrin.

Bane is no more Talia's dragon than Batman is Gordon's dragon.

Talia said she was in it to complete her father's work. Vengeance on Bruce was secondary. Bane's tone of voice in the first fight carried a connotation of disgust at Bruce throwing away his place in the League of Shadows. A place Bane was denied by Ra's when Ra's cast him out. Bane relished beating Bruce and forcing him to watch helpless as the Gothamites turned degenerate. Bane's stake was proving himself the worthier successor to the League.

Bane is no more Talia's dragon than Batman is Gordon's dragon.

Talia said she was in it to complete her father's work. Vengeance on Bruce was secondary. Bane's tone of voice in the first fight carried a connotation of disgust at Bruce throwing away his place in the League of Shadows. A place Bane was denied by Ra's when Ra's cast him out. Bane relished beating Bruce and forcing him to watch helpless as the Gothamites turned degenerate. Bane's stake was proving himself the worthier successor to the League.

Yea I definitely agree with this. To me it seemed like he had admiration for Ra's even though he was cast out.

Yeah, to me Bane still having respect for Ra's mission despite being ex-communicated didn't make him weaker, it made him more interesting, complex and human.

Yeah, to me Bane still having respect for Ra's mission despite being ex-communicated didn't make him weaker, it made him more interesting, complex and human.

Exactly. The idea that he's only out he's this 1 dimensional dude who can't cry, can't help with someone else's operation, can't love people, and can't have admiration for someone makes him less interesting to me, not more. He can do all these things yet he's still 100% the badass he was during the rest of the movie. Two sides of the same coin. Hence the reason I liked that he shed a tear when departing with Talia, was secretly working with Talia, and was carrying out Ra's mission.

This is interesting:

"The really interesting thing about Bane is, he's massively strong but he's also extremely intelligent, and his past very much mirrors Bruce Wayne’s in interesting ways, from his training and with the League of Shadows background. Bane represents the the wrong path of Bruce Wayne almost back to “Batman Begins.” So Bane is the return of that danger. The wrong side for Bruce Wayne." Chris Nolan

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...r-villain-20121206?page=2#blogPostHeaderPanel

Exactly. The idea that he's only out he's this 1 dimensional dude who can't cry, can't help with someone else's operation, can't love people, and can't have admiration for someone makes him less interesting to me, not more. He can do all these things yet he's still 100% the badass he was during the rest of the movie. Two sides of the same coin. Hence the reason I liked that he shed a tear when departing with Talia, was secretly working with Talia, and was carrying out Ra's mission.

Couldn't agree more. This was how I felt immediately after seeing it for the first time, when some of my friends felt unsure about the whole Talia thing. I instantly dug it. Not because of Talia's characterization, but because of how it added several layers to Bane and made him more than the one-note monster we were led to believe he was.

This is interesting:
"The really interesting thing about Bane is, he's massively strong but he's also extremely intelligent, and his past very much mirrors Bruce Wayne’s in interesting ways, from his training and with the League of Shadows background. Bane represents the the wrong path of Bruce Wayne almost back to “Batman Begins.” So Bane is the return of that danger. The wrong side for Bruce Wayne." Chris Nolan

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...r-villain-20121206?page=2#blogPostHeaderPanel

Yup. Cool interview.

This is interesting:

I totally agree with this statement.

Bane's intelligence remains untouched (with his calculations involving the fusion reactor and his precision to hinder the GCPD and isolate Gotham from the outside world), he was never a freedom fighter (that was cleared up instantly early in the movie -- excommunicated from the LoS for his extreme radical nature) and he wasn't a servant to Talia.

Perhaps the biggest misconception about Bane's and Talia's relationship is that Bane was an employee or henchman, and he was in love with her, but I don't see how either one of those theories fit into what we saw. The belief that Bane loved Talia more than a little sister and/or daughter, could never really be confirmed. Bane didn't display any intimacy towards Talia hinting at anything more. In regards to Bane taking orders, Talia's plead to keep Bruce alive just long enough to feel 'the fire' was not an order. And even if it was an order, Bane disobeyed without hesitation.

Bane and Talia were partners. Both were immensely loyal to one another. If Bane were anything less, I doubt Talia would have taken the time to fix Bane's mask within minutes of their demise.

I'm tired of that criticism too, it's simply not true. The only order we ever see Talia give to Bane is disobeyed. We're never party to any discussions or plotting the two of them did, we don't know who came up with the plan, or what part of it.

The fact is Talia isn't going to get far trying to fight Batman in a sewer, and Bane certainly isn't walking into WE looking for employment. It's a partnership & a sibling/parental type of relationship. Nothing more, nothing less. I actually felt Bane showing emotion and crying added unexpected depth to Tom's performance.

I totally agree with this statement.

Darth Vader is what Luke Skywalker could have become if he would go to dark side.

Bane is what Bruce could have been if he would follow the rules of los.
Simple like that.

I'm tired of that criticism too, it's simply not true. The only order we ever see Talia give to Bane is disobeyed. We're never party to any discussions or plotting the two of them did, we don't know who came up with the plan, or what part of it.

The fact is Talia isn't going to get far trying to fight Batman in a sewer, and Bane certainly isn't walking into WE looking for employment. It's a partnership & a sibling/parental type of relationship. Nothing more, nothing less. I actually felt Bane showing emotion and crying added unexpected depth to Tom's performance.

Well said. :up:

If you look at the details of the plan, Bane is not a simple lackey, but if you go by how the film makes you feel, the sudden focus on the Talia twist which makes her the main threat of the third act and the fact that Bane is taken out very quickly by a secondary character, you are left with the impression that Bane's role was less important.

Bane had a badass demeanour that made him memorable but under closer scrutiny he has quite a passive role in the film. Once Gotham is taken over he seems to stagnate.

Yup I am. A mask covered face, metal or not, is no excuse to make the character so hard to understand. Ya want your audience struggling to understand him do ya?

It spoiled Bane for a lot of folk.

Thats subjective, I had no problem understanding him.

JAK®;24812049 said:
If you look at the details of the plan, Bane is not a simple lackey, but if you go by how the film makes you feel, the sudden focus on the Talia twist which makes her the main threat of the third act and the fact that Bane is taken out very quickly by a secondary character, you are left with the impression that Bane's role was less important.

Bane had a badass demeanour that made him memorable but under closer scrutiny he has quite a passive role in the film. Once Gotham is taken over he seems to stagnate.

Eh, I wouldn't leave it at that. I literally just saw it again for the 2nd time and the impression I got was he was going through the motions. He probably did help think it all out and still planned it but if he preferred his mind would be elsewhere.

Coupled with what you said, it really made me feel that this whole thing was Talia's idea. Sure Bane might have done planning, sure he might have come up with the strategies, but ultimately it was Talia's decision. He would do anything for her. But if at anytime he could go against her and keep her happy he will.

DISCLAIMER (This is how I felt during the film not how all should see it)

The first time I watched this movie, there were a few lines I couldn't quite understand. As it turns out though, upon further veiwings, his lines that were initially hardest to make out became my favorite lines of the entire film once I finally made out what he was saying.

For example, his line "I'm Gothams reckoning. Here to end the borrowed time you've all been living on." gives me chills everytime I hear it. But initially, I couldn't understand what he was saying. Repeat viewings definately help and I think people will find it's not impossible to understand what he's saying. And like Raoul Duke said, his inflection and delivery was simply chilling.

The only line I had trouble with in the theatre was "here to end the borrowed time you've all been living on." I thought he said something about a ball of twine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"