The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane XXX

I had to go back to listen and see if he says "Goodbye" or not. He does, but he sort of breathes it more than anything. He sounds so helpless.

Though the parallel is neat, I think I actually like it better without the "goodbye." It makes for a sadder scene IMO and kinda shows how defeated Bane is through his body language alone.
Still powerful either way, but that tear and his expression just make you feel bad for him.

It's a Very Bane Christmas!

[YT]ChaN2YQqf50[/YT]

"I will show you where I have made my home while preparing to bring justice. Then I will break you.":bow:

Hardy did a fantastic job with what he was given; I just wish that they had fleshed out the character's philosophy the same way they did with Ras in BB.

There are lines sprinkled throughout the film that tease at Bane's way of thinking, but they are never given much depth, which I think is a true shame.

For example, he calls himself "necessary evil" - very interesting idea, never expanded upon.

He also says that "people of their stature deserve to witness the next era of Western civilization", and when Pavel tells him that the bomb will go off after the 5 month period, Bane says, "for the sake of your children Dr. Pavel, I hope it does".

There is somewhat of an Old Testament, quasi-messianic dimension that is hinted at with Bane that we never get to see explored. That would have taken TDKR to a whole other level.

Those are excellent points, and just makes me more sad that they weren't expanded upon and explored. :csad:

Anyone complaining about Bane's characterization and actions really needs to read Bane. They're practically, if not completely, identical.

Those are excellent points, and just makes me more sad that they weren't expanded upon and explored. :csad:

I think there's enough there. From the very beginning of the movie, Bane puts the emphasis not on himself or his "brothers" but on the plan they're enacting. Complete dedication to what he's doing, which Alfred points out to Bruce when he says he sees the "power of belief" in him. Granted, as a viewer you do kind of have to go back to Begins and Ra's himself to know what exactly the belief system of the League is, but that's not wholly unlike other aspects of the movie that rely on past information conveyed in the previous films to fully work.

Anyone complaining about Bane's characterization and actions really needs to read Bane. They're practically, if not completely, identical.

******** nerds be ********. Just because the look of the character wasn't identical to the comics means the character sucks to most eegit fanboys.

It's a Very Bane Christmas!

[YT]ChaN2YQqf50[/YT]

"Excuse me, have you seen the Batman? I can't seem to find him anywhere. He's a master of stealth. Even in broad daylight he's impossible to find."

"Happy New Year! From the League of Shaaadowsssss."

:lmao:

I think there's enough there. From the very beginning of the movie, Bane puts the emphasis not on himself or his "brothers" but on the plan they're enacting. Complete dedication to what he's doing, which Alfred points out to Bruce when he says he sees the "power of belief" in him. Granted, as a viewer you do kind of have to go back to Begins and Ra's himself to know what exactly the belief system of the League is, but that's not wholly unlike other aspects of the movie that rely on past information conveyed in the previous films to fully work.

Fair points. Though one possibility we could have seen would have been is deeper into Bane's side as a comparison and contrast to Bruce, as Bane is almost the anti-Batman and an image of what Bruce could have become had he chosen and not been guided to and on the right path.

"I will show you where I have made my home while preparing to bring justice. Then I will break you.":bow:

One of my favorite quotes from him. I love how matter of fact he is about it.

To be completely honest, Hardy was fine with what he had, but I actually think he was a bit hamstrung by never showing his face except that glimpse at the end and his voice being so distorted.

I've found him better in other movies.

Anyone else feel this way?

Bane seems dumbfounded on how Batman escaped the prison. "But I never escaped" he tells him. I think in a lot of ways Bane never escaped the prison, psychologically. After numerous viewings, it makes a lot of sense that Bane never escaped and so, in his mind, kept the prison pit as the worst inescapable hell on earth. If he broke out, it would be just another challenge he overcame.

To be completely honest, Hardy was fine with what he had, but I actually think he was a bit hamstrung by never showing his face except that glimpse at the end and his voice being so distorted.

He brought a stage-acting approach to it with voice and body language, so I think it's actually stronger than it would have been had the character not had to wear the mask all the time.

Yes.

I also felt that they could have done a bit more to get across how large of a guy he was supposed to be too.

Bane DID look a lot bigger than Hardy actually is in many shots, but some shots do give it away that he is more normal in stature.

This could have been easily solved with a larger body-actor double for shots where no facial emotions needed to be shown. Someone who is in similar physical shape as Hardy, just taller.

Again, only for shots where he was not going to be doing a lot with his eyes, or other subtle things they actually needed Hardy for.

Obviously voicing him over would be very easy.

Agreed. Hardy did fine with Bane, never gave one bad acting moment in the role, but this wasn't even one of his top 3 acting performances, IMO.

Is there any footage of Hardy doing the Bane voice in an interview or something?

I really wanna see the way his mouth moves while he talks like that, as well as to hear what the voice sounds like without any kind of post-production on it.

Hardy was indeed restricted in what he could emote with his face almost the entire film. Forcing Hardy's ingenuity to then craft a physical performance that I thought was spellbinding. It's not great acting; but like Robert patrick as T1000, it was an uniquely interesting one. And I'm not sure if, without the restriction of his face, we would've gotten the performance we did. Art from adversity and all that.

The Hardy films I've seen, I'd list it as...

Bronson
Warrior
Lawless
The Dark Knight Rises
Inception
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
RocknRolla
Layer Cake
Black Hawk Down

Of course WB will now make Batman more like Bond, who stays young forever and is never injured seriously.
the last bond movie was bond as a broken man fighting to get his life back. the whole movie was about how he was washed up and should have "stayed dead".

batman like bond is best when he is kept grounded and real. i mean they are a lot a like, both are driven men that come from tragic childhoods.

the last bond movie was bond as a broken man fighting to get his life back. the whole movie was about how he was washed up and should have "stayed dead".

batman like bond is best when he is kept grounded and real. i mean they are a lot a like, both are driven men that come from tragic childhoods.

I don't necessarily think Batman's always best when he's "grounded and real." Grounded maybe, but I don't think you have to be all that real. (Let's face it, Nolan wasn't all that real, just look at Two-Face for that.)

But I think there are a lot of characters that would work amazingly well on film that aren't realistic in the slightest. Mr. Freeze for example. The trick is to keep it darker in tone.

I wouldn't mind seeing the next batch of films be more like TAS in style, and slightly darker. Basically like the Arkham games. That way we can have the more fantasic villains like Freeze, just handled in a serious way.

I don't necessarily think Batman's always best when he's "grounded and real." Grounded maybe, but I don't think you have to be all that real. (Let's face it, Nolan wasn't all that real, just look at Two-Face for that.)

But I think there are a lot of characters that would work amazingly well on film that aren't realistic in the slightest. Mr. Freeze for example. The trick is to keep it darker in tone.

I wouldn't mind seeing the next batch of films be more like TAS in style, and slightly darker. Basically like the Arkham games. That way we can have the more fantasic villains like Freeze, just handled in a serious way.

I think by real he means human, rather than making him the Terminator in a Batsuit. I may be misinterpreting it but that's what I got out of it.

I much prefer Batman to be a Terminator in a Batsuit over what Nolan gave me with Bale's Batman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"