The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane XXX

I concur.

I will never understand why some people call Nolan's Batman movies realistic. I'm wondering what real world they are living in lol.

I think a lot of people just mean the naturalistic way of acting, and that there is an explanation given for the sci-fi tech in the film. Also, the sets are more realistic.

The cops in the Burton/Schumacher films do not act the way cops would in the real world, neither do the crooks.
The cops in the Nolan films do, as long as you buy into the conceit that they would welcome the help of someone such as Batman under those kind of circumstances.
and sci-fi tech such as Batman's magically expanding hanglider cape from BR is not explained at all, neither is that crazy little hand held computer game type batarang he programs.
Arkham Asylum is not some gothic castle constantly surrounded by thunder and lightning, it's a sober depressing looking hospital.
Gotham is set in a real world city, not a obvious studio lot.

edit: From the convo this came from, you are responding to folk who say the 'realism' is a bad thing, in my book it's a good thing, much like the Singer X-Men films.

Last edited:
Plausible. For example the tech in the Daniel Craig Bonds was not realistic but it was more plausibly explained than the tech in the Brosnan films.

what?? what are you talking about? what "rules", its a movie series about a wealthy guy who was trained by super secret terrorist ninja League, and with the help of his British butler and business partner fights crime and freaky criminals in a high tech bat suit using improbable weapons created by a fictional corporation. So before Bane broke BATMANS back, everything that came before that was in the realm of plausibility? Batman begins is fantasy movie, TDK and TDKR are fantasy movies with real emotions and characters we can relate to.
Rules that Nolan set down when trying to ground his movies in reality. Those are Nolan's words, not mine. He stretches it at times, but he has stated himself that he tried to ground these movies in reality. So the technology is not soooo ridiculous that it's straight-up impossible, it's just given a plausible explanation that's not that hard to accept.

I'm not saying his movies are completely realistic, but I know he wasn't going to go too far out of into the realm of fantasy. I think Two-Face may have been one of the biggest stretches for Nolan but I loved that he gave us him.

There's nothing implausible about being trained by a secret organization bent on world chaos (ahem), there's nothing implausible either about someone who wants to do a better job than the police and corruption. There's definitely nothing implausible about over-the-top weapons, there's all kinds of crazy **** in the military. Look up the XM25 rifle or digital revolvers.

Sure, a lot of it seems like fantasy (it should) but he said it himself he wanted to keep things realistic. Would you see Batman meet up with Superman in his world? No. Would you see Batman squaring off against a straight out of the comics Clayface? No. (maybe reimagined as something else). Would you see a man who's lived for 500 years? No. The TDK trilogy are definitely fantasy movies, but they're not as fantasy-heavy as you say they are, at least in my opinion.

Last edited:
Well put, JaD.

The original Clayface from 1941 or whatever, Basil Karlo. He (maybe updated for the times) would work in Nolans universe. If i recall, he was just a man with a mask on at first.

But the problem is that Nolan asked Goyer back in the Begins era, "who can we use from the rogues gallery?" And Goyer told him about some of the fantastical villains LIKE a Clayface or Killer Croc...but he described their fantasy based characterizations instead of the realistic ones. Nolan obviously turned them down because they were too far-fetched. It's cuz they weren't realistic enough, yes. But it's more difficult to explain these things to an audience and have them buy into it.

A man who has a skin condition then becomes a giant monster who dwells in the sewers and is practically a cannibal. You can do better in explaining a man who wears a sack over his head who's in possession of a drug/chemical that affects your mind, making you hallucinate. Triggering things from the brain to surface. Like your fears & anxieties.

The Bat isn't very realistic but with proper explanation of how it works and making it "hover" more like a helicopter than an airplane...it's easier to digest. And that's the point of Nolans world. Not completely realistic but things are more plausible. People's reactions are more natural as well. Cops, citizens, etc. We see more human elements and normal reactions to weird things. Making it feel realistic. Or at least way more realistic than the Burtons and Shumachers. It doesnt mean that us fans all think any of this stuff can happen in everyday life.

You can only make a Batman movie so realistic. I loved Nolan's trilogy, and think they are (and always will be) the best Batman movies we will ever get. However, now with a reboot, I don't want the filmmakers to be confined to realism. That way we can get villains like Clay Face, Killer Croc, or Mr. Freeze.

Confined to realism? No.

Confined to plausibility? Yes, it should be, to an extent. TAS-M tried desperately to find a sensible sounding way of how Connors can turn into the Lizard and that needs to be the case with guys like Freeze, Clayface, Man-Bat. The quick little scene of no knowledge of how Fries became Freeze in Batman & Robin was only a stepping stone of how embarrassingly bad the film was.

Plausible. For example the tech in the Daniel Craig Bonds was not realistic but it was more plausibly explained than the tech in the Brosnan films.
Dalton really was ahead of his time.

bond-best-of-dalton-1.jpg

"Ah...Q branch. Your precious armory, gratefully accepted. We will need it."

did you guys notice the Chris Nolan Impression Tom Hardy does in the TDKR Extra of the Bane segment ?
that was pretty hilarious imo.

Really? I have to look at the features again. What's the segment called?

I think its called "gothams reckoning"..

its at the very beginning where he talks about how nolan called him about the role... its a very subtle impression though..

I'm not a native speaker so maybe he just does a very posh english accent, but either way he kinda mocks the way he talks :D

I love the way Tom teases around with people. Seriously hilarious, and friendly, guy.

The term Nolan himself has used is "relatable." It's meant to feel like a real experience even if the contents are exaggerated.

Tom Hardy was phenomenal, first factor in the act he followed.....The Joker, Heath Ledgers performance is arguably the best of all time for any super hero movie villain. He pretty much had to express everything with his eyes and body language, and that takes talent, some of his expressions were just flat creepy, and others scary. yet in the end before he dies you can also see pain.....all thru his eyes

I think Two-Face may have been one of the biggest stretches for Nolan

I would actually say the nuclear bomb became the biggest stretch for Nolan to handle, but I do believe he did it as well as pretty much any director since nuclear bombs, the physics of it and what happens with the radiation afterwards is so damn hard to pull with any film but Nolan gave it a shot, and there were pros and cons to it.

I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but I have a question.
When Bane first meets Batman in the sewer, he has a line I have yet to understand from the muffled voice. When they start to fight Bane says something like...."something, something something....Victory has defeated you." What is it he says before Victory has defeated you?
Thanks for any help.

I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but I have a question.
When Bane first meets Batman in the sewer, he has a line I have yet to understand from the muffled voice. When they start to fight Bane says something like...."something, something something....Victory has defeated you." What is it he says before Victory has defeated you?
Thanks for any help.
"Peace has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you!"

"Peace has cost you your strength. Victory has defeated you!"

Thanks JaD.......Did you understand what he said immediately? That was pretty hard for me to detect.

Thanks JaD.......Did you understand what he said immediately? That was pretty hard for me to detect.
Hell no. :funny: I have a copy on my computer with subtitles and looked it up real quick, I didn't know it until 10 minutes ago when you asked.

I remember thinking it sounded something like "Patience cost years gurglemufflezippitydodah. Victory has defeated you."

That reminds me, I need to check some of the dialogue of Bane when he's imprisoned Bruce and speaking to him in the cell.

I heard it perfectly fine. Also, that dialogue is :

Home, where I learned the truth about despair, as will you. There's a reason why this prison is the worst hell on earth. Hope. Every man who has rotted here over the centuries has looked up to the light and imagined climbing to freedom. So easy..So simple..and like shipwrecked men turning to sea water from uncontrollable thirst(!), many have died trying. I learned here that there can be no true despair without hope. So, as I terrorize Gotham, I will feed its people hope to poison their souls. I will let them believe they can survive so that you can watch them clamoring over each other to stay...in the sun. You can watch me torture an entire city and when you have truly understood the depth of your failure, we will fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny. We will destroy Gotham and then, when it is done and Gotham is..ashes..then you have my permission to die.

"Like shipwrecked men returning to Seaworld" - I honestly thought that's what Bane said when I first saw TDKR, but shook my head and said that can't be right, lol.

Bwahahaha

That whole monologue is aces. Tom hit it out of the park. I definitely missed a few words the first time I saw it but I didn't even care because it was such a mesmerizing performance.

Bwahahaha

That whole monologue is aces. Tom hit it out of the park. I definitely missed a few words the first time I saw it but I didn't even care because it was such a mesmerizing performance.

This is me as well. I feel like the problem was in the audio adjustment department. They made him sound too digitally implanted and out of place, and didn't clean up the mask filter enough to make what he's saying sufficiently clear.

Again, I think we need to petition for a Director's Cut that fixes some stuff. lol

Tom's acting was awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"