The Dark Knight Rises Tom Hardy as Bane XXX

Nolan's Bane was the MOST accurate Bane and dare I say more closer to the source material than any other character in the trilogy.
You can say that all you want, but I HIGHLY disagree with you. We don't even know if he grew up in prison, but even so, he never escaped on his own. Instead, it was by Ra's. Then, the only motive he has for destroying Gotham and Batman is to "fulfill Ra's ah Ghul's destiny", which, he never displayed any real original motive outside of Ra's and Talia. Add to the fact that he never had Venom, and aesthetically didn't resemble him at all, I can't find too many things to associate Nolan's Bane with the comics and animated version, other than "this is a strong guy".

This Bane is just as "accurate" as Ra's was in this series, which, isn't saying much of anything at all. Not to say you can't enjoy this version, but I don't see how you can say he's more accurate than Catwoman, Joker or Two-Face. Hell, even Batman is more accurate of a character, and Nolan deviated quite a bit with his characterization on that, too.

The only reason Talia got out of the Pit was because of Bane. So he was capapble of escaping, but instead chose to let Talia make it out. In Knightfall, Bane seemed to use Bird, Trog, and Zombi to take control of the mob. Here, he was intimately involved in shutting Gotham off from the rest of the country. That is a noteable improvement from Knightfall.

I do like Bane's deaths-head mask from the comics. However I prefer the armored vest his movie incarnation had. The comics outfit is just asking for someone to snipe him.

Bane was in Gotham to usher in a new era of Western civilization. He said as much. Recall that Ra's threw Bane away after he rescued him. A welcome sideffect of his scheme was proving Ra's wrong. Proving himself to be the better son/heir than Bruce (hence wanting to humilitate Bruce by forcing him to watch Gotham crumble).

You can say that all you want, but I HIGHLY disagree with you. We don't even know if he grew up in prison, but even so, he never escaped on his own. Instead, it was by Ra's. Then, the only motive he has for destroying Gotham and Batman is to "fulfill Ra's ah Ghul's destiny", which, he never displayed any real original motive outside of Ra's and Talia. Add to the fact that he never had Venom, and aesthetically didn't resemble him at all, I can't find too many things to associate Nolan's Bane with the comics and animated version, other than "this is a strong guy".

This Bane is just as "accurate" as Ra's was in this series, which, isn't saying much of anything at all. Not to say you can't enjoy this version, but I don't see how you can say he's more accurate than Catwoman, Joker or Two-Face. Hell, even Batman is more accurate of a character, and Nolan deviated quite a bit with his characterization on that, too.

You can disagree all you want,he said that he was born in the darkness and seeing that if he could help Talia escape then he could most certainly do it himself.He was looking for Ra's acceptance to prove himself worthy.Is'nt that kinda his comics motivation? it's a twist but in essence is the same thing.

The original venom compound was created years before Bane made his debut,in Knightfall the only thing venom did was serve as a plot device that ensured Bane's defeat after Knightfall he swore himself off it.He did'nt need it when he broke Bruce's back,he did'nt need it when he killed Film Freak,did'nt need it when he broke classic Croc's arm and did'nt need it when he snapped someone's neck with one hand.TDKR version of venom did EXACTLY what the venom did,it served as a weakness that led to his defeat.
For the record the original venom (which appeared before Bane) made the user unable to feel pain:cwink:

Who cares if he did'nt resemble him? especially when the costume was a million times better,cooler and more practical.Also Bane has worn a some what similar attire in Birds of Prey.

Harvey did'nt have a dual personality and he's only more accurate than Catwoman and Joker because unlike the other 2 you can find little references to the comics(or atleast moreso than them).But yeah as the other user correctly stated Joker,Catwoman and Gordon are indeed the most accurate characters out there overall.

Last edited:
Movie Bane had a more rich and textured mythology in my opinion, and I especially enjoyed the way the movie presented Bane and Bruce as two competing "children" of Ra's. With Bane being the cast out son and Bruce being the favored son. To me there was a bit more pathos there than the Vengeance of Bane/Knightfall characterization of Bane simply wanting to break Batman for sport and to prove he's the top dog. That always rang a bit hollow to me, and him having the nightmare about the bat is pretty weak and forced too. Movie Bane seemed to have deeper convictions even if they were in service of the LOS's ideals. And even that was drawn from the Legacy/Bane of the Demon stuff of the comics. What I also really loved about movie Bane was that he was very much "war" incarnate. He was a general, a dictator, a soldier (a special operations one at that) all rolled into one. Just an all around beast of a man. I think all of that is very true to the root idea of Bane in the comics, but I really enjoyed the military aesthetic the movie brought to enhance that.

Overall I thought they did a great job adapting the character. They took the best elements of each of the aforementioned comics and tweaked stuff here and there to give a surprisingly layered and coherent characterization.

Movie Bane had a more rich and textured mythology in my opinion, and I especially enjoyed the way the movie presented Bane and Bruce as two competing "children" of Ra's. With Bane being the cast out son and Bruce being the favored son. To me there was a bit more pathos there than the Vengeance of Bane/Knightfall characterization of Bane simply wanting to break Batman for sport and to prove he's the top dog. That always rang a bit hollow to me, and him having the nightmare about the bat is pretty weak and forced too. Movie Bane seemed to have deeper convictions even if they were in service of the LOS's ideals. And even that was drawn from the Legacy/Bane of the Demon stuff of the comics. What I also really loved about movie Bane was that he was very much "war" incarnate. He was a general, a dictator, a soldier (a special operations one at that) all rolled into one. Just an all around beast of a man. I think all of that is very true to the root idea of Bane in the comics, but I really enjoyed the military aesthetic the movie brought to enhance that.

Overall I thought they did a great job adapting the character. They took the best elements of each of the aforementioned comics and tweaked stuff here and there to give a surprisingly layered and coherent characterization.

Agreed. Nice post. :up:

I'm just thinking aloud here:

Bane said when Gotham was ashes Bruce had his permission to die.
Later in the movie Bane is happy to die in the nuclear explosion.

Do people think that was Bane's plan all along, or do you think he would've gone back to finish off Bruce?

^
Can it be Batman's "Impossible" return forced Bane/Talia's plan? Like it did with Ra's in BB.Maybe they were going to leave the city a day before bomb explode itself without the trigger but Batman/police attack made they stay there to keep the bomb in city?

Or it can be because of Bane ordered prisoners to keep him alive, not to kill even if Bruce wanted. If Bane dies, they wouldn't hesitate to kill Bruce especially if cause a trouble or Bruce Wayne can suicide.

Bane probably planned on paralysing Bruce so he would have no choice but to lay and watch Gotham destroyed, then Bane and Talia could have moved clear of the blast zone and detonate the bomb. The prisoner and doctor were being paid to keep Bruce alive, so they might have been instructed to stop keeping him alive once it was finished, or Bane could have come in and snapped his neck.

I'm just thinking aloud here:

Bane said when Gotham was ashes Bruce had his permission to die.
Later in the movie Bane is happy to die in the nuclear explosion.

Do people think that was Bane's plan all along, or do you think he would've gone back to finish off Bruce?

Talia and Bane's original plan was to leave Gotham before the countdown was complete and then after they moved out of six mile radius, Bane would have pressed the trigger, but they had to change that original plan as Batman appeared again to foil Bane's plans, the scene where Bane has a tear in his eyes and Talia says him goodbye shows that they were not mentally prepared.

Bane probably planned on paralysing Bruce so he would have no choice but to lay and watch Gotham destroyed, then Bane and Talia could have moved clear of the blast zone and detonate the bomb. The prisoner and doctor were being paid to keep Bruce alive, so they might have been instructed to stop keeping him alive once it was finished, or Bane could have come in and snapped his neck.

Also, This.

Talia and Bane's original plan was to leave Gotham before the countdown was complete and then after they moved out of six mile radius, Bane would have pressed the trigger, but they had to change that original plan as Batman appeared again to foil Bane's plans, the scene where Bane has a tear in his eyes and Talia says him goodbye shows that they were not mentally prepared.

Also, This.

Where exactly was this stated again? there was less than an hour left before Bane saw the fiery Batsignal.I dont think he was planning on going anywhere.

And I still dont get why Bane was "paying" those guys,what exactly are they supposed to do with the money?:whatever:

Where exactly was this stated again? there was less than an hour left before Bane saw the fiery Batsignal.I dont think he was planning on going anywhere.

I may be forgetting something here but, wasn't the fiery Bat-signal lit up by Gordon after he was saved form "death by exile" by Batman, then Batman tells Gordon to assemble Cops and that they will attack the Town Hall in the morning, so I assume that there is plenty of time before Dawn, not just One hour.

If Bane had not seen the fiery Bat signal and if Bruce Wayne / Batman had not reveled himself to Talia,..... Bane and Taila would have left Gotham many hours before detonation. (remember he had the trigger he could first make sure that he was out of blast radius then he could have pressed it.)

And I still dont get why Bane was "paying" those guys,what exactly are they supposed to do with the money?:whatever:

The original plan was known only to Bane and Talia, members of LOS are always ready to die for Ra's al Ghul (even if Ra's himself is dead, LOL.)

To recruit other Gotham's goons Bane paid them but they were never aware of his real plan.

I think with Bane Nolan and co. made something that's actually superior to the original version, at least aesthetically. The rugged, paramilitary look and the muzzle-like mask are more visually interesting to me than a Luchador wrestler.

I think with Bane Nolan and co. made something that's actually superior to the original version, at least aesthetically. The rugged, paramilitary look and the muzzle-like mask are more visually interesting to me than a Luchador wrestler.

:up:

Same here. I always liked Bane's idea, but as a character I just couldn't get into him because I just found his costume, to put it frankly, lame.

His costume in The Dark Knight Rises is amazing. The second I saw the mask, I almost did back flips because of how glad I was that Nolan had made Bane look badass for once. It's far more awesome than anything I've seen in comics so far.

You can disagree all you want,he said that he was born in the darkness and seeing that if he could help Talia escape then he could most certainly do it himself.He was looking for Ra's acceptance to prove himself worthy.Is'nt that kinda his comics motivation? it's a twist but in essence is the same thing.
But he didn't escape on his own, hell, he was never a ruler or king in prison, instead, he got beat down so bad, that he was subject to having some sort of anesthetic being pumped into him, because he couldn't fight.

The original venom compound was created years before Bane made his debut,in Knightfall the only thing venom did was serve as a plot device that ensured Bane's defeat after Knightfall he swore himself off it.He did'nt need it when he broke Bruce's back,he did'nt need it when he killed Film Freak,did'nt need it when he broke classic Croc's arm and did'nt need it when he snapped someone's neck with one hand.TDKR version of venom did EXACTLY what the venom did,it served as a weakness that led to his defeat.
For the record the original venom (which appeared before Bane) made the user unable to feel pain:cwink:
Yes, I know it appeared in Batman:Venom, I still have my original copies from when I was a kid, but I don't know why you keep trying to gloat about knowing that? And the Venom has always been told to be a super serum/steroid, not an anesthetic like Bane had in TDKR.

Who cares if he did'nt resemble him? especially when the costume was a million times better,cooler and more practical.Also Bane has worn a some what similar attire in Birds of Prey.
That's fine if you like it, but it doesn't help reinforce that this is close to the Bane counterpart, when he already lacks the characteristics, let alone the aesthetics.

Harvey did'nt have a dual personality and he's only more accurate than Catwoman and Joker because unlike the other 2 you can find little references to the comics(or atleast moreso than them).But yeah as the other user correctly stated Joker,Catwoman and Gordon are indeed the most accurate characters out there overall.
Harvey most certainly did have a dual personality in TDK. His nickname around the office was "Harvey Two-Face". Plus, we saw his bad side when he kidnapped Thomas Schiff because he threatened Rachel. Even Batman got scared and had to tell him to stop.

Last edited:
40886430.jpg

8KALm.jpg

edit: doh, forgot the other panel.

Bane is quite the charmer. :oldrazz:

Last edited:

Interesting point. I hadn't quite thought of it that way.

Maybe the BB Batman can win when fresh out of Ra's Al Ghul's training but I think that the TDK Batman will make the same mistake the TDKR one did i.e. underestimate Bane.

who do you guys think would win between bb/tdk batman vs bain?

That debate happened already. A handful of people just didn't want to hear any reasoning about Bane still taking Batman down even in The Dark Knight, despite the evidence presented in The Dark Knight Rises (Bane being born into hardship, having the same training but perhaps for longer, Bane's ability to withstand immense punishment, And his toying with Batman during their first fight, to name a few).

Bane would have won. Batman hadn't run into an opponent bigger and badder than he was, and didn't know how to react. He reacted very poorly, and got his ass handed to him because of it. However, he did learn from it, and came back to beat Bane, so we could gather the same would have happened (perhaps more quickly) when he was younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"