Tom Pelphrey IS Ward Meachum

Discussion in 'Iron Fist' started by BatsDC, Apr 18, 2016.

1. BatsDC

BatsDC Side-Kicker

Variety

2. Speed Force

Speed Force Your phone's charged

3. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

Interesting that they chose to make Ward Meachum her brother instead of her uncle like in the books.

4. Whatupman

Whatupman Well-Known Member

Hell yeah! He's great on Banshee.

5. Verick808

Verick808 Well-Known Member

I guess it just gives him and Danny a stronger connection than in the source material.

6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

It's clear they are trying to make Joy and Ward like Danny's childhood friends. Maybe not best friends but they were clearly together in their childhood.

I wonder how bad they will make Joy and Ward as well and if any of them will have the potential to redeem themselves.

7. Verick808

Verick808 Well-Known Member

Joy was one of his love interests in the comics if I recall correctly.

8. Norek

Norek Yvonne Strahotski <3

Can Joy be a potential love interest?

EDIT: Okay, Verick just answered that question... :funny:

9. chamber-music

chamber-music Infinity Ammo

In the more recent Iron Fist comics Joy and Danny were sleeping together.

Joy was like revenge obsessed Harry Osborne in the Raimi Spider-Man movies in the comics most of her history. She blamed Iron Fist for her fathers death and spent years trying to have him killed. Eventually she finds out Danny is Iron Fist and can't kill him.

10. BarryAllen

BarryAllen ey b0ss

I think Ward will be more ruthless than Joy. From the leaked character descriptions:

http://mcuexchange.com/new-characte...els-iron-fist-seemingly-hint-at-colleen-wing/

They seem to be setting Joy up as being the more open-minded of the two. I think they'll have her be a semi-love interest here, but I hope nothing comes of it, because I really want to see Danny and Misty together.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  11. Whatupman

Whatupman Well-Known Member

I thought Tom Pelphrey was really good as Ward. Even though the writing was sometimes all over the place, I surprisingly found him to be the most interesting character. After seeing Tom in Banshee, I wished he was more of a badass here, but I guess that just wasn't his character. It was a little weird that the drug addict was in better shape than Iron Fist, who had been training for almost his whole life.

12. righthooksrus86

righthooksrus86 Well-Known Member

Pelphrey showed so much range in this show...Ward was definitely one of the best characters.

13. writer0327

writer0327 Well-Known Member

Stole the show in my opinion. When Ward and Harold were on screen.... absolute gold!

14. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Haven't seen the guy in anything else, but he was pretty good here. He's one of the reasons why I think a season 2 still needs some boardroom drama with Danny spending part of his time trying to work with Ward & Joy. I'd also like to see how they would develop Ward as a character given he's no longer a slave to his father.

15. Superhero 101

I liked his character arc the most of all the characters in the show. Great actor too he really felt like a jerk when he wanted too but i also felt sorry for him at the end of the show.

16. dmcreif

dmcreif Well-Known Member

The thing about Ward that makes him such a great character is that he's as much his own worst enemy as anyone else.

• He embezzled from his company; it was to get away from his horrible father, but he stole it from the workers' pension fund.

• He was verbally abusive and distant to his sister; it was to protect her, but he ultimately didn't respect Joy enough to trust her with the truth.

• He was a bully to Danny; he came from a broken home and probably didn't know better (we see the same thing with Trish in Jessica Jones season 2), but he never really seems to get away from that kind of mentality towards Danny as an adult.
    I think it's a real testament to Tom Pelphrey's performance that Ward is a character that is both so sympathetic and easy to hate at the same time.

17. Random490

Random490 Well-Known Member

Completely agree. During the first episode I thought I had the character figured out, but they created a really great redemption arc. One of the few things in season one I thought was handled incredibly well. As oppose to Joy who didn't really have a solid story arc.