Tom Rothman leaving Fox

Well we all know what this means...

party.gif

>breaks out a bottle of champagne

Ding dong, the witch is dead.

I thought there would be a lot more fuss about this on here. Good riddance.

Meh. While he did do terrible during the mid to late 00s, he was doing a better job recently.

I believe that the vast majority of people around these parts will rejoice. People have been ready for this since X-Men: The Last Stand. With that said...

1173726081552-1.gif

Hallelujah! Good riddance.

Rothman's approach of micro-managing directors was ruining the studios relationship with filmmakers and hurting their reputation with directors. He managed to change his attitude over the last few years.

Tom Rothman did great with Fox Searchlight the studio-brand independent arms. They helped partly fund and distribute alot of Danny Boyles movie.

But then again he also did things like Dragonball Evolution and change the set of Wolverine behind director Gavin Hoods back.

Someone who worked with Rothman said

When Rothman believed wholeheartedly in something, he could be a filmmaker's greatest friend and champion, and conversely, on those occasions he didn't fully believe in something, he could frustrate a filmmaker enormously.

The greatest example of a property that saw both highs and lows under Rothman's management would be the "X-Men" series. During production on that first film, Rothman moved into his management position, and he was deeply unsure about the project. He hedged the studio's bet as best as he could, trimming both schedule and budget once they were in production, scaling the film back.

There were elements of the comics that he simply didn't like, and one of the reasons the film version is set in such a markedly different world than the comics is because Rothman insisted. When the first film was a hit, he did give the creative team more room, and the result was what is generally regarded as the best of the "X-Men" films so far, "X-Men 2." Even so, it's always been a matter of friction between his vision of the franchise and the vision of the filmmakers in charge of things.

In a perfect world, Fox would be five or six films into a strong unified franchise, taking full advantage of the story opportunities that exist in decades worth of "X-Men" storytelling. Instead, a personality clash with Bryan Singer hobbled the series at a crucial moment, and until last year's "X-Men: First Class," it looked like the entire series was going to end up dented and ruined, a waste of an amazing asset.

In general, Marvel comic movies have not fared well at the studio, and Rothman's personal feelings about the material got in the way of what should have been fairly simple adaptations.

Last edited:
Eh.... the Rothman hate has gotten pretty old now. Maybe three years ago I would have been more excited but Fox has finally gotten their act together so it's nothing really exciting. I just think this excitement is left over hate from the 2005 - 2009 years.

Eh.... the Rothman hate has gotten pretty old now. Maybe three years ago I would have been more excited but Fox has finally gotten their act together so it's nothing really exciting. I just think this excitement is left over hate from the 2005 - 2009 years.

Way back before 2005.

I love that he initially opposed the development of both Titanic and Avatar :hehe:

Fox hasn't been doing too bad as of late but Rothman must pay for his crimes.

Well it sounded like other people were responsible for the the last few years at Fox, like doing the Dreamworks Animation deal.

Appropriately I read this news while sitting on the toilet taking a poo!

Well we all know what this means...

party.gif
My sentiments exactly.

Now to get rid of Avi Arad.
I remember when the headlines read "Avi Arad no Longer Producer at Marvel Studios!" I think just about everyone shat their pants out of excitement... and then upon reading the article we found out he was now acting PRESIDENT. Kevin Feige is much better (aside from the whole Edward Norton crap that happened).

And Jeph Loeb. :cwink:
Hey now, he's written some of my favourite comics. (TV and Movies, not so much...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"