Justice League Tone for the Justice League movie

cleverusername8

Sidekick
Reaction score
Here's another big part of what will determine the success of the movie I feel. The tone of the movie (mainly in the sense of how dark and serious it is) could be like Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy or lighthearted and fun like the Avengers. Or somewhere in the middle or even more extreme than either of the two.

Personally, I think it would be best suited somewhere in the middle. I was pretty disappointed to hear the mass rumors that Will Beall wrote the script to be closer to the Dark Knight's sense of seriousness (even though I'm pretty sure no one knows enough about it to be positive on this). The JLA, if anything, is more fantasy based than the Avengers with both the characters on the team and the stories they live through. To make the movie as adult appealing as Nolan's Batman could end up making it seem forced as well as not bringing in as much money (the Avengers viewing I went to had 3+ times as many kids as TDKR viewing I went to and I feel like overall the Avengers made more money partially due to more families going to see it together).

On the other side of things, I would like to see the JL movie stay away from the amount of humor Avengers had in it. The jokes worked well especially for the ridiculousness of Iron Man and Thor's characters and their egos but for Justice League I feel like it'd be funnier if the jokes came more subtly. But plot will be king here since it's looking like there won't be much lead up character or storywise for this so they'll need to focus harder on setting up the setting than really making personalities sparkle the way Marvel's guys did.

I really like how the tone of the story is presented in this fan trailer (more like a sneak preview). The story itself that the person made up could probably use some tweaking but I feel like this would work well stylistically.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqPneLQAw_Q

So what do you guys think? How dark and gritty should this thing be?

I agree, it's impossible to make it like Nolans but it's not a good choice to be like Avengers. Somewhere in the middle would be perfect.

And i also agree about the jokes.

A mix between Iron Man and the Watchmen.

Fun but serious at the same time.

I don't think you can make a JL movie into a dark drama like a Nolan films, I don't think it would work best like that. Take the concept seriously, take the characters seriously sure, even Whedon does that despite the humor with his character interaction, bu without some kind of joie de vivre in there I think these more "god like" characters than the Avengers will fall flat.

But plot will be king here since it's looking like there won't be much lead up character or storywise for this so they'll need to focus harder on setting up the setting than really making personalities sparkle the way Marvel's guys did.

Yeah they will need to be even more careful about plot and introductions because they haven't had lead up movies (probably) and there probably won't be a Nick Fury as the connecting glue in the same way to make it relatively easy to get them in the same room to start off with. But by the same measure, I don't think too convoluted plots are the way to go either. ;)

I want it to be very "triumphant". I want us to go "OH, **** YEAH!!!" multiple times. Maybe Lee Smith as the Editor, Michael Giacchino for the music and Geoff Hubbard for Art Direction could deliver just that (obviously with the right direction).

I want it to be very "triumphant". I want us to go "OH, **** YEAH!!!" multiple times. Maybe Lee Smith as the Editor, Michael Giacchino for the music and Geoff Hubbard for Art Direction could deliver just that (obviously with the right direction).

Full-heartedly agree. The Avengers has its own fanbase; time to give DC fanboys something they only dream of :) But seriously though, I agree going down the Nolan direction may be a little too dark for a Justice League film, but we wouldn't want it to be too fluffy either. I'd say a healthy mix of Nolan-ish and Avengers would be a balanced choice. We have to remember every member of the Justice League comes with their own tone: Batman's primarily dark, the Flash is humorous more or less, and Superman is all good guy justice. So each character will bring something to the table in terms of tone.

I'm probably in the minority, but I like the darker edge to movies. I want it to be closer to TDK and Man of Steel's tone than Avengers.

When coming to tone, I think of:

Star Trek
Watchmen
Man of Steel
V for Vendetta

So basically, you all want a grim and gritty JLA. Because the JLA have been long known for being grim and gritty.

Screw that. The JLA are supposed to be shining beacons of heroism that the world looks up to. Aim for *that* as a theme.

So basically, you all want a grim and gritty JLA. Because the JLA have been long known for being grim and gritty.

Screw that. The JLA are supposed to be shining beacons of heroism that the world looks up to. Aim for *that* as a theme.

No thanks. I think DC's properties can aim for that (eventually), but I don't want The Justice League to be fully embraced by the planet so easily. I want what Goyer, The Nolans and Snyder did with Man of Steel -- making The Justice League a distrusted and feared (public enemy number one) group of 'Gods' coming together.

Now, does it have to be grim and gritty? No, but I rather have a more serious and emotional superhero movie with a good mix of fun and humorous moments.

We have already been told by Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder that Superman will be a beacon of hope in a realistic, almost depressed world.

I imagine the same would be for the rest of the Justice League.

If they stick with Batman's and Superman's tone, which is serious, but not dark, and with moments of humour (in Batman at least). I'd be happy.

To be honest, your theme as you describe it is probably much better presented in say Nolans "dark" batman films than in say the colourful Iron man pictures.

I don't think anyone here want's a watchman like tone, but I'd imagine many would like it more sombre than say Avengers. Everyone was a comedian in that film, whereas when JLA has been better written it has a few members that most certainly aren't (unless they are being smug or proving a point). However I'm beyond hoping for proper characterization in these films at this point. We celebrate them either way. Though we did all lambaste GL for misfiring on that end.

I actually do hold up hope for Snyder's superman. He's really good for characterization and he casts the perfect person to do it too.

"Supposed to be" doesnt exist in my world.

You can still be shining beacons of heroism with a tone that's a little grimmer than your average Marvel movie. And who says they all have to be loved and accepted? That's boring to me.

To properly execute the concept, I think JUSTICE LEAGUE needs to have a kind of serious adventure/globetrotting feel to it. Think INDIANA JONES on crack, but with more politics.

Something that allows for different types of political and story tensions, but doesn't preclude fun, and allows for the inclusion of various mythologies/influences.

It can't be as action-comedy as the Spider-Man movies. It can't be as juvenile as IRON MAN and in some ways, THE AVENGERS, but it needs to be on the same level of fun/spectacle, if not moreso. It definitely shouldn't be as brooding and melodramatic as the Batman films. Haven't seen MAN OF STEEL yet obviously, but I suspect that we'll see a tone that balances alien paranoia with Superman as a symbol of hope, and a heightened version of that could work for a Justice League movie.

I would say it should trend toward something akin to WATCHMEN, but WATCHMEN had satirical elements and a kind of coldness that JUSTICE LEAGUE should probably avoid.

"Triumphant" is probably a good word for the heights of the film. This is a movie that needs to be awe-inspiring, but it also needs to have very real and very personal stakes.

So...somewhere between the fun of MARVEL/THE AVENGERS and the genre study of WATCHMEN with a dash of Nolan's Batman films and their introspection...but there's a lot of room to work with there. It'll be a bit of a balancing act.

Last edited:
Man of Steel so far looks like the tone they should go for.

Somewhere between Watchmen and Avengers sounds about right. If it sways on one side too much, it's not good. Like somebody mentioned, everybody was a comedian in Avengers. And of course Watchmen was a little too dark, violent and stylized. I think the middle ground would work. Bits of humour when needed, fun, dark, real at times, fantastical at times. A balance. Never leaning in one direction for too long.

We have already been told by Chris Nolan and Zack Snyder that Superman will be a beacon of hope in a realistic, almost depressed world.

I imagine the same would be for the rest of the Justice League.

If they stick with Batman's and Superman's tone, which is serious, but not dark, and with moments of humour (in Batman at least). I'd be happy.

Yeah, but Metropolis hopefully won't be dark and dreary to reflect the mood.

When I say not dark like watchmen, I'm talking about things like the character studies that lead to the sex scene's and kid bodies found in ovens or what not..prostitution, etc.

Still avengers, and marvel(even when Whedon is around) is just too light. A person whom by all rights is a demi god shows up and the next line's of dialogue are played for laughs. Sure the threat of the Hulk was actually played right this time but I'm fairly certain Banner was the running joke of the film for everyone but Witch and perhaps "Cap"(I use that term loosely).My preferred model for the film would be Morrison Jla Run. Light, Epic, Fun and awesome.
I haven't yet read John's work but like most of his stuff I'll probably feel betrayed.

Has anyone read Millar's one issue of JLA where they fought Amazo(a great film villain btw)? That one issue had great balance. I believe it was numbered #27. It had some of the best Batman/Superman/J'onn dialogue I've ever seen.

I also think the first JLA movie should Avoid Aliens like the Plague. It will already be facing the critique of being a mere imitation. I believe using the idea of a league of rogues would be just as box office healthy as a league of previously established heroes.(If only Ledger was still around).

Last edited:
I'd really enjoy seeing Amazo in a JL film. Not as a main villain, but something to fight on the side.

I'm with Guard and Shauner. Justice League must inhibit certain of Watchmen's and Man of Steel's qualities. A sense of great hope mixed in with paranoia and intensity, yet the humor and 'fun' aspects remaining in tact. That said, I don't want Justice League to be anywhere near what Whedon's Avengers were. I felt that the film was too light-hearted at times. Joss got alot of the characterization down but there were moments where infused a tad too much 'Whedon-isms' into Iron Man, Thor and Loki.

Some smart people posting in this thread. Basically what you all are saying is NO CAMPY BULL___T!!!!!

I want a tone more closer to the TDK if not that serious then seriously a little more darker than Avengers.

JL has to by default set a different tone than the avengers. The snipes coming from critics of it being an avengers rip-off will be ripe.

GL made a big mistake trying to emulate the tone of iron man and that backfired bad.

All I'm saying is, I don't want this to be a movie that parents wouldn't take their kids to see. That would be the sign that they've taken it too far.

On the ither side of the coin, I don't want the theater to be as jam packed with children that giggle akd throw popcorn the whole time like during my Avengers viewing experience -___-

I haven't seen enough from Man of Steel to really judge whether it'd be a good direction to follow, but from that little that I did see I'd probably agree with the majority of this thread's opinion on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"