Tony Leung IS The Mandarin

Still needs a beard imo. That and 8f they changed the blue to green it would be better.

I'm very excited to finally have The Mandarin, it's just too bad Iron Man is gone so we won't have an actual confrontation between them. Still I have high expectations.

So the figure with them is Mr. Hyde. One more nail in AoS's coffin.

Also they gotta ref Trevor and how he doesn't look a think like him.

I'm very excited to finally have The Mandarin, it's just too bad Iron Man is gone so we won't have an actual confrontation between them. Still I have high expectations.

Yeah I feel the same way. Though I'm hopeful that they'll deliver a good adaptation here.

The teaser got me even more excited for Leung in the part. Hopefully the relationship with Shang Chi and his father is as central as the trailer made it out to be.

I can already tell Tony is going to rock this role. Hope he sticks around as a recurring villain.

they’ll have to tread very carefully though or some dumbasses on the internet are going to walk away thinking this is proof China is responsible for all crime around the world

I can already tell Tony is going to rock this role. Hope he sticks around as a recurring villain.

they’ll have to tread very carefully though or some dumbasses on the internet are going to walk away thinking this is proof China is responsible for all crime around the world

I am thinking that Madripoor will be the locale of most importance or the one pushed into the forefront of the audience's mind. That's my guess given how they portrayed it in F&WS.

Why would you expect anything resembling an interesting confrontation? Going on the information in the trailer, the Mandarin shows every sign of being a level-appropriate villain for Shang Chi, a super powered kung fu fighter in the Cap/Spider-man range. Which is to say, Iron Man would radically outpower him, to the degree that he wouldn't make a meaningful villain choice. *cough*

Fair enough. I went based on the fact that all the other figures referenced the MCU.
AI Tony Stark is a comics reference and Civil Warrior a Contest of Champions video game reference.

Why would you expect anything resembling an interesting confrontation? Going on the information in the trailer, the Mandarin shows every sign of being a level-appropriate villain for Shang Chi, a super powered kung fu fighter in the Cap/Spider-man range. Which is to say, Iron Man would radically outpower him, to the degree that he wouldn't make a meaningful villain choice. *cough*

If the Mandarin had all the power rings as in the comics then he would be able to combat Iron Man with all these various magic-like abilities. I don't know if he'll be just a regular martial artist or have super strength etc like Captain America. If he did, then he could hold his own like Steve Rogers did against Iron Man in Civil War.

In the comics they had the crazy idea back in the day that the Mandarin doing karate (instead of Kung Fu) could actually split open Iron Man's armour or shatter it. Not likely.

There's reason to believe that the rings give him more powers than the trailer taken at surface level makes it seem. Also, being a physical match isn't always necessary for adversaries. Look at Batman and the Joker.

They could have given him longer hair in his final form.

By the way, they call him Wenwu everywhere, but all fans will still call him Mandarin, so what's the point?

They could have given him longer hair in his final form.

By the way, they call him Wenwu everywhere, but all fans will still call him Mandarin, so what's the point?

Agree with the longer hair and that they should've either named him Mandarin in the movie or at least given him rings on his fingers instead of as bracelets. People might miss the bracelets being rings while the finger rings are Mandarin's iconic trait. Also he should've worn green a lot more as a standard colour.

Also would've liked him to have a goatee if they wanted to avoid a moustache. Tony Stark and Doctor Strange both have goatees, with Stark having one over his classic moustache. Facial hair even on an Asian shouldn't be considered racist. It's only the thin and long Fu Manchu moustache that would be the racist trope.

If the Mandarin had all the power rings as in the comics then he would be able to combat Iron Man with all these various magic-like abilities. I don't know if he'll be just a regular martial artist or have super strength etc like Captain America. If he did, then he could hold his own like Steve Rogers did against Iron Man in Civil War.

In the comics they had the crazy idea back in the day that the Mandarin doing karate (instead of Kung Fu) could actually split open Iron Man's armour or shatter it. Not likely.

*cough* One, there's nothing crazy about chi-powered martial arts being able to smash up metal armor. Sure, the Mandarin in the comics is a fairly extreme case of it for Marvel, but its not even like he's the most extreme example; Mantis blows him out of the water, for example.

Two, and more importantly- the issue is that if he had rings that did all the stuff they do in the comics, he wouldn't be an appropriate foe *for Shang Chi*. That is the limiting factor here. Either he's a suitable foe for "has an superhuman kung fu on the beyond peak human level", or he's a suitable foe for "wears powered armor than makes him Superman-Lite". There isn't a huge amount of potential overlap.

( Also, note that Steve's victory over Iron Man relied on having an ally to team up with, a highly valuable environmental advantage, and Tony fighting like an idiot because his mind isn't in the game at all. Those are not normal factors in play. )

There's reason to believe that the rings give him more powers than the trailer taken at surface level makes it seem. Also, being a physical match isn't always necessary for adversaries. Look at Batman and the Joker.

Again, you misunderstand. The issue is not "what is his exact power level", the issue is how said power level overlaps with his intended foe. I'm sure his rings give him some kind of superpower on top of chi-enhanced kung fu. This doesn't change that his "hero" is Shang-Chi, and so his capabilities are presumably calibrated around "Is a foe Shang-Chi can actually fight and eventually defeat". Which puts a cap on how powerful the Mandarin can be, *regardless* of the source or nature of his abilities, unless you think Shang-Chi is going to be able to, I don't know, grab one Iron Man armor and use it to beat other Iron Man armors to death.

Tony gave a very compelling performance as WenEu aka the Mandarin. The drama between him and Shang-Chi definitely adds weight to the film. I loved the father and son dynamic. I place The Mandarin right up their with Thanos and Loki.

From what I‘ve heared, they forked up the Mandarin a 2nd time (and a 3rd, if you count Aldrych Kilian).
Wenwu is probably a great developed character…but not the Mandarin

Tony gave a very compelling performance as WenEu aka the Mandarin. The drama between him and Shang-Chi definitely adds weight to the film. I loved the father and son dynamic. I place The Mandarin right up their with Thanos and Loki.

I fully agree with that, what a great showing in his Hollywood debut. He really sold all the emotional connections he had to other characters. I can only hope that he gets more roles to showcase his talent to western audiences from now on.

From what I‘ve heared, they ****ed up the Mandarin a 2nd time (and a 3rd, if you count Aldrych Kilian).
They didn't mess him up; they changed his motivations, origins, and name to fit in with Shang-Chi's world, but he's very much one of the MCU's better villains because they added many more layers to him. I particularly liked his reaction to The Mandarin name.

"They didn't mess him up"...

"they change his motivations, origin, and name"...

:dry:

From what I‘ve heared, they ****ed up the Mandarin a 2nd time (and a 3rd, if you count Aldrych Kilian).

Eh, who gives a shirt. He was a compelling villain in his own right and the way they managed to tie this together with Iron Man 3's "Mandarin" (and finally resolve the All Hail the King plot thread) was fun.

It doesn't help he has far more in common with Fu Manchu. It hardly redeems the concept of the Mandarin if they just slap his name on another character who also has a problematic history. All Hail the King may as well never have happened since the build up just lead to them defecating on the concept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"