Top Gun: Maverick

I'm sure he'd want to be actually in-plane for as much as he can. But it's not like he would be for everything (you'd figure, anyway, unless they're trying to out-do McQuarrie in that sense), it's not like you can't use movie magic to edit some mock cockpit & background to look like it. Most of the stuff in the original was that.

opw-09677_r.jpg

opw-09639_r.jpg

:oldrazz:

Yeah, freakin' loving the stuff we have from Captain Marvel so far. Photography style looks great, seems they're going more practical effects than the Russos with the aliens, always welcome.

And holy crap do I love the NIN shirt and the fact she's flying an F-15. Makes sense of course given the era, it's going to be a 15 or a 16, but I just appreciate the former so much more. There are a lot of movies featuring 16s anyway.

Even with Top Gun delayed to 2020, pretty rad getting two awesome fighter flicks within about a year of each other. Psyched. Top Gun'll have the more impressive photography and action staging, no doubt, Marvel tends to go cheap with a lot of stuff, but hey, Air Force & Navy action alike is always a blast.

"Photon" is a pretty cool callsign, too. Maybe not as much as some of the Top Gun ones so far, but fun.

Maybe we'll get Top Gun Photon as a sequel. Why doesn't Carol have a call sign on the side of her plane?

I agree that Photon doesn't sound as cool as the Top Gun call signs.

Not really sure why there's not one for Carol there, not entirely sure how it works for real, but she might be fresh out of flight school and they just haven't had a chance to paint it on the plane yet. *Shrugs*

Though yeah, Top Gun thread. Really looking forward to the aerial sequences here, hope they can find some perfect mix/balance of Kosinski's digital wizardry and McQuarrie's "shoot stuff for real" approach that Tom's had such a good run with over on MI.

Meg Ryan should be in this film I mean isn't she Goose's wife his widow? Then surely she should be Miles' character's mother so it is only fitting she should be in this film

Now Glen Powell his character I wonder if he will be Val Kilmer/Iceman's son? Or if he will turn out to be Tom Cruise/Maverick's son?

I like the 80s movie, but I'm still not sure about this remake. I just think that some movies should be left alone, instead of continuing to make sequels for them, especially 30+ years after, with the same actors who aged significantly (and yes, I know Tom Cruise looks really good for his age, but you get the idea..).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan return, TG, even if for just a scene or two.

And Ken, the age thing isn't a problem, they're obviously going to acknowledge the time passed. He's not going to be the same guy from the first film.

Hopefully Meg Ryan could be a surprise cameo.

But what about Tom Skerrit? They need to get him. And Adrian Pasdar, now that we know it was his film debut.

Skerritt's in his 80s now, not so sure how he'd fit into it in an actual military context, other than Maverick seeking him out for advice in a single scene or whatever. Callback to the first movie. But he'd ostensibly have retired pretty soon after the first flick, Navy wise, at least in terms of fighter school stuff. Could have been promoted to some desk job brass position or something though I guess.

Top Gun was a childhood favourite, so this has definitely got my interest. What I'm worried about is the current generation of naval aircraft just doesn't quite have the charisma of the F14. While awesome planes, F18/F35s just don't have quite the same... flair as the Tomcat did.

Although it could be funny if they tangle with Iranian Tomcats and the younger pilots annoy Maverick by calling them outdated hunks of junk :D

Skerritt's in his 80s now, not so sure how he'd fit into it in an actual military context, other than Maverick seeking him out for advice in a single scene or whatever. Callback to the first movie. But he'd ostensibly have retired pretty soon after the first flick, Navy wise, at least in terms of fighter school stuff. Could have been promoted to some desk job brass position or something though I guess.

That's all I want to see of Skerritt anyway. Just a small cameo. I like seeing these things. And he's not so old or feeble anyway. He was in Madam Secretary a year or so ago playing the father of Tim Daly's character. I think he would work for a small scene. Same with Meg Ryan. I like seeing the continuity and nods. I'd like that with Adrian Pasdar as well, even though no-one probably remembers him for that. It's just the fact that he was in the film.

That's all I want to see of Skerritt anyway. Just a small cameo. I like seeing these things. And he's not so old or feeble anyway. He was in Madam Secretary a year or so ago playing the father of Tim Daly's character. I think he would work for a small scene. Same with Meg Ryan. I like seeing the continuity and nods. I'd like that with Adrian Pasdar as well, even though no-one probably remembers him for that. It's just the fact that he was in the film.

One up that and fetch Tim Robbins from the bottom of Mystic River and pop him in there too. He's a great actor imo and could use a career boost and some decent screen time.

One up that and fetch Tim Robbins from the bottom of Mystic River and pop him in there too. He's a great actor imo and could use a career boost and some decent screen time.
I know he had that recent show on HBO that was cancelled, but I didn't even realize until now that he's been mostly the radar for the better part of the last decade. The last movie I saw him in was Green Lantern. A career boost would be nice to see, but he doesn't need Top Gun, he needs Tarantino.

Top Gun was a childhood favourite, so this has definitely got my interest. What I'm worried about is the current generation of naval aircraft just doesn't quite have the charisma of the F14. While awesome planes, F18/F35s just don't have quite the same... flair as the Tomcat did.

Feel the exact same way, but a report a couple weeks ago seemed to indicate 18s feature along with the 35, which makes sense. Most of the fleets are still 18s, thankfully - wouldn't be surprised if they play up the 35's "cool new tech" aspect as a bit of a give-and-take for all the Navy co-operation during filming though. Publicity/promotion doesn't come half as opportunistic for the Navy than a Top Gun sequel.

I don't mind the 18s - my least favorite of that generation of craft, and we've seen them in a million movies over the years to the point they're a little "been there, done that", but ehh, whatever. They're still nicer to look at than those fugly new stealth generation flying computers.

Cool:

Super-Hornet.jpg

Blahhh:

heres-how-the-f-35-stacks-up-to-russia-and-chinas-5th-generation-aircraft.jpg

There was talk of drones a while back too, but that seemed pretty early on. Not sure if they're still going that "drones V.S. manned aircraft, which should we rely on?" route, could have just been rumor. But I wouldn't mind some of that aspect to the thing.

Wondering who the enemy might be in this, too. Pretty sure they're not going to have the balls to have it be Chinese forces, it's not like '86 where nobody had a problem with stereotyped villainous Rooskies/USSR satellites and the mood was kind of "if they're upset, fine, **** 'em". :oldrazz: They're not going to piss off the Chinese movie industry here.

I dunno, Assad & Khamenei goons over Syrian skies maybe?

Last edited:
Feel the exact same way, but a report a couple weeks ago seemed to indicate 18s feature along with the 35, which makes sense. Most of the fleets are still 18s, thankfully - wouldn't be surprised if they play up the 35's "cool new tech" aspect as a bit of a give-and-take for all the Navy co-operation during filming though. Publicity/promotion doesn't come half as opportunistic for the Navy than a Top Gun sequel.

I don't mind the 18s - my least favorite of that generation of craft, and we've seen them in a million movies over the years to the point they're a little "been there, done that", but ehh, whatever. They're still nicer to look at than those fugly new stealth generation flying computers.

The Super Hornet is at least more impressive than the classic. I can see them having a mixed bag of 18Es and Growlers with the number of pilots they seem to be casting.
While I certainly appreciate the technology in the 35, it sure isn't sleek and graceful!

Wondering who the enemy might be in this, too. Pretty sure they're not going to have the balls to have it be Chinese forces, it's not like '86 where nobody had a problem with stereotyped villainous Rooskies/USSR satellites and the mood was kind of "if they're upset, fine, **** 'em". :oldrazz: They're not going to piss off the Chinese movie industry here.

I dunno, Assad & Khamenei goons over Syrian skies maybe?

Problem with Syria etc, they have a bunch of old aircraft. Kind of need a major power to give any kind of threat to modern western tech. I don't imagine them picking China either for the same reason you stated. Russia is possible, but I'm not sure they'd go there either. One reason I can see Iran or similar, they could potentially give their tech a boost for 'reasons' and they are small enough to antagonise on film without impacting their audience.
Short of having another nation go rogue, I'm not sure what their options are other than making up a villain again.

Is there even going to be a villain in this movie? I thought Cruise said it was another competition film. I don't think they're going to be making it into a military thriller as such. Certainly not along the lines of Stealth.

That could be the case. Even the first was bookended with an enemy though.

Yeah, the first still had its Soviet-bloc-of-influence "MiGs" (from memory I don't think they named an actual nation though? Can't remember, but think they were just sort of generic Commies-and-Friends), even though they were fictional enemy planes and just "played by" U.S. training craft painted up all "bad guy".

As for Syria, Chuppy, it's not just Assad's air force over Syrian territory. Syria themselves have one of the mideasts' more formidable ground-to-air defense systems (which could make for a cool setpiece or two, getting blasted at from the ground), but their actual air force is being supported by Big Ivan and the Ayatollah's cronies. Those guys are bringing the more modern gear.

Iran's fielding Sukhoi-30 Flankers in the pretty near future, you could just fudge the timeline a bit and say they're already operational in movie-verse. Same generation as the F-18, more than an equal match for our Super Hornets. Part of both the Russian and Iranian playbook (unsure if Syria's got their hands on them personally though, Assad's homegrown forces), and there are plenty of friendlier countries that field them which you could probably strike a production deal with. India, Malaysia, Vietnam might be able to be convinced to let you paint up a few in Iranian or Russian Federation colors and go nuts.

maxresdefault.jpg

ukrainian-sukhoi-su-flanker-flight-fighter-aircraft-slovak-international-air-fest-78214704.jpg

They're almost definitely going to have enemy planes of some sort here, even if they fake it up with some bull**** like the first time around. Would be cool if they used something real for the sequel though, environment might be a bit more conducive to pulling it off than back in the tension of the mid-80s.

Last edited:
**** yeah, Maverick in an 18. :woo:

Keep the 35s to all the newbie next-gen kids, and have Crazypants Cruise school them all and their fancy tech anyway in something that's been around since like 1998.

Interesting color scheme on that though, don't think I've seen that before. The school's custom look maybe.

Also, goddamn I love how Cruise just flies around in a P-51 Mustang in his downtime. :oldrazz: Dogfighting Lord Xenu in his WWII prop fighter.

According to VFA-125's FB page, they were out on the USS Abraham Lincoln testing out their new F-35Cs alongside the filmcrew for Top Gun 2. A couple of the videos show the F-35s buzzing the Lincoln's tower at high speed. With the delay in filming, you kinda have to wonder if the F-35 will make some sort of appearance.

Pretty sure the F-35's definitely featuring, reports have been saying that for a while. The wildcard was if F-18s would be too, and looks like that's been settled with Cruise's plane.

You guys are pretty knowledgeable about these planes. Here's the extent of mine--

F-14's -- The ones in Top Gun.
F-18's -- The ones in Independence Day.

That's it, that's all I got.

Haha, yeah. Well, that's the extent most people care about it, the public won't care what hardware's featured. :) They're in it for Cruise & Kenny Loggins & sweaty volleyball dudes.

When it comes to aviation I'm just a complete dorky Melvin Eugene Punymeyer.

images

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"