The Dark Knight Toy Story, Avatar, and Distric 9 got Oscar noms, but TDK didn't? Why is this?

Diemtay

Civilian
Reaction score
Toy Story 3 = A film written primarily for children audiences. It's about talking cgi Toys.

Avatar = A film about a guy who becomes a blue alien.

District 9 = A film about aliens on earth.

Now I understood the idea that TDK didn't get the nomination because it's "a comic book film" and it can be seen as immature but I don't see how the Oscars look past that, yet aknowledge those other films, which are clearly as immature and child-like as TDK.

The Oscars want to hold on to their high class standards, yet they nominate a film like Toy Story, and the others? This just doesn't make sense.

Other films like "Up" and "Inception" also come to mind as films just as worthy as TDK for an oscar, yet they get the nom and TDK doesn't. My question is, what is so bad about comic book films, that make them unworthy of an oscar, while films for children, and alien/scifi films are? If the Oscars truly wanted to seem mature, I don't see why they would have nominated any of those in the first place.

/angry fan boy rant

If you want to summarize those films so simply, i'll do the same for TDK.

Guy dressed as a Bat gets all emo about not being able to stop a freak dressed as a clown.

I agree it did deserve a nom. But comic book movies never get acknowledged no matter how good they are. It's old hat now. I think we'd all be surprised if one did get a nom.

If you want to summarize those films so simply, i'll do the same for TDK.

Guy dressed as a Bat gets all emo about not being able to stop a freak dressed as a clown.
My point still stands. As immature as TDK may be, why is it unworthy of a nom while the other films are? They are all equally child-like (if you want to call it that)

Oscars suck. They've awarded hacks and snubbed geniuses.

I don't know why are people so surprised.

All of the films you mentioned were nominated in a field of 10 nominations.

A field of 10 nominations can be attributed to The Dark Knight being snubbed in the 2008 year when there were still only 5 Best Picture Nominees.

People were so outraged that the ratings dropped and the Academy, in its infinite wisdom, raised the Best Picture Noms from 5 to 10 so that more main stream films had a shot at a nominations to grab more viewers the next years.

District 9, Avatar, and Toy Story 3, while all great films, have The Dark Knight to thank for their Best Picture Noms in some respect....

-R

All of the films you mentioned were nominated in a field of 10 nominations.

A field of 10 nominations can be attributed to The Dark Knight being snubbed in the 2008 year when there were still only 5 Best Picture Nominees.

People were so outraged that the ratings dropped and the Academy, in its infinite wisdom, raised the Best Picture Noms from 5 to 10 so that more main stream films had a shot at a nominations to grab more viewers the next years.

District 9, Avatar, and Toy Story 3, while all great films, have The Dark Knight to thank for their Best Picture Noms in some respect....

-R
Ah very true, I completely forgot about that. With the 10 film category, that means TDKR might really have a chance at a nom. :up:

Yeah, it's interesting to think that it was The Dark Knight being snubbed that caused the Oscars to change their decades-long tradition of 5 nominations. Inception probably wouldn't have been nominated last year without that change. But yeah, here's hoping that TDKR will be nominated. It's awesome to think that it, at least, has that potential.

Toy Story 3 is about on par with TDK, IMO.

The only one that didn't belong was by far Avatar.

Might be hands down the most overated movie of all time.

The most cliche predicatable plot in recent memory, average acting and IMO the whole 3d thing wasn't that special, yeah sure alot of cool colors but thats about

I don't know. Sure, Avatar is pretty overrated, but so is TDK. Door swings both ways bucko.

They've actually changed the rules again due to the fact that crappy movies like the Blind Side made it into the Best Picture category. Apparently now a film has to reach a certain level of votes to get a Best Picture nomination, so you could end up with 10 movies one year and 6 movies the next year depending on how strong each year is.

comic book movies generally dont get nominated because they're generally not good enough to warrant nomination, and TDK was no exception. the film was good, but had enough flaws to stop it from being great and nomination worthy.

comic book movies generally dont get nominated because they're generally not good enough to warrant nomination, and TDK was no exception. the film was good, but had enough flaws to stop it from being great and nomination worthy.

:doh: diasagree completely...some of the best picture nominees that year weren't even good movies, they were hardly memorable. Subjective criticism due to the fact that TDK is a 'comic book' movie.

Two links that say it all:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/#top-critics-numbers

vs.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/reader/

You saying Oscars are so thoroughly exigent? Comedy gold.

no, what i'm saying is: comic book movies generally dont get nominated because they're generally not good enough to warrant nomination, and TDK was no exception. the film was good, but had enough flaws to stop it from being great and nomination worthy.

I don't ever see a comic book movie getting an Academy Award for best picture. It can win other categories, mainly special fx. But never for best picture.

no, what i'm saying is: comic book movies generally dont get nominated because they're generally not good enough to warrant nomination, and TDK was no exception. the film was good, but had enough flaws to stop it from being great and nomination worthy.

No more flaws than A Beautiful Mind for example.

Its biggest flaw.

haha. Hated that movie.

Seriously though Avatar was nominated because it was James Cameron and with the exception of Return of the King Titanic was the last huge blockbuster that gained critical attention. The Academy has been looking for these kinds of movies.

District 9, Up, Toy Story 3 and Inception wouldn't have been nominated had it not been for the upping of the category. That being said, especially in Toy Story 3's case they are all good movies. Avatar still would have because it was recognized as a potential "game changer" in how movies were made. In retrospect, it wasn't really and that's why it didn't win.

Back in the day the Academy did nominate popular movies, but most big blockbusters suck nowadays.

Honestly the Dark Knight was never good enough to win, nominated sure. But that would have been more of a "high" scenario similar to Avatar. Once the dust settles people aren't THAT captivated by it. 2008 overall was pretty weak. Slumdog Millionaire was not oscar worthy either.

And the oscars to me aren't all that bad. They nominate good movies all the time, they just never give the statues to them. 127 hours, Social Network and Toy Story 3 were all infinitely better movies than the King's Speech.

And the Dark Knight received an oscar for the only part of it that truly deserved it.

Last edited:
im giving my personal opinion on why i believe TDK wasnt worth a best picture nomination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"