Revenge of the Fallen Transformers: ROTF User Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those who have seen it, what were the crowds like? Do you get a sense the WOM will be a little weaker or just as strong from the general audiences when compared to the 1st film? Be honest, I know this film has a fair share of flaws. You may love it, but are there instances where you can see people put off by it's length, crude humor, etc?

Cinema was pretty full.
WOM will be worse this time round. Pretty much entirely negative here. But I don't think it will affect numbers too much. ROTF is a film that you'd want to go see yourself even if you were told it sucked. I mean, giant transforming robots does draw crowds.

Cinema was pretty full.
WOM will be worse this time round. Pretty much entirely negative here. But I don't think it will affect numbers too much. ROTF is a film that you'd want to go see yourself even if you were told it sucked. I mean, giant transforming robots does draw crowds.

Okay I cave. What does WOM stand for. I always seem to miss the origins of these acronyms.

I didn't know it when I saw it either :D I'm not a fan of these uncommon acronyms.

Word of mouth.

Ah thank you. Now I can delete my original post and pretend I knew all along...mwhahahaha....ahem...

You have already been quoted! Shame shall follow you fore'er more. :p

Balls. Let us never speak of this again. We shall make a pact of silence much like Starscream and the Fallen did on Saturn...after all those infants had to come from somewhere right?

Balls. Let us never speak of this again. We shall make a pact of silence much like Starscream and the Fallen did on Saturn...after all those infants had to come from somewhere right?

Oooooooooh noooow I get it :D

Saw it last night:

Saw it last night and I thought it was okay. Firstly let me say that I wasn't expecting much of a plot, there's only so much substance you can get out of alien shape shifting giant robots from another planet. However, this film should have known it's limitation. They should have given a relatively short and snappy tour de force action film. But it ends up dragging for infuriatingly too long, I felt my self losing interest in the last hour.

That being said I thought it was quite decent. I enjoyed the addition of the twins (who were, you know, funny-unlike Shia
pacman.gif
) and I enjoyed Bumblebee's role in this film. However a big disappointment in regards to the autobots and decepticons is that there is very little characterization. I find it hard to believe that Bay couldn't have cut one or two needless action sequences for the sake of giving the likes of Ironhide, Starscream and co. some real motivation.

The action was great in the first hour and a half. I thought Bay did a much more cleaner job than last time around catching the intracies of the Transformers. But then Bay oversaturated the action in the last hour with explosion after explosion. South Park have this guy down to perfection.

The acting, well, I feel uncomfortable criticising performances when the script gives them very little to do so that's all I will say about it.

All in all, this film would have been very good had they done a bit of trimming around the edges. I'd give it 2.5/5.

Well, bad films can have their enjoyable bits. Overall I think this is a "bad" film. Transformers is something where the action has to be top notch, aswell as the acting and humour, just to tip the balance. The first film managed it. I don't think this one did.

Lol, on a side note, I just went on bebo. One of my friends had changed his saying to "transformers...what a let down".

That's the honest general concensus from around here. I assume the "awesome" votes are from transformers fans, as opposed to general viewers.

I would think that most general viewers would like the film much more than we would, the fans. It's because we complain about everything that's wrong with the film and all of it's weak points. I know most of my family (who has never payed much attention to Transformers), would walk out of the theatre and say it was great. It's because they're just looking for a mindless action movie (like most people who see summer movies). We, however, are looking for plot and things like that.

I would think that most general viewers would like the film much more than we would, the fans. It's because we complain about everything that's wrong with the film and all of it's weak points. I know most of my family (who has never payed much attention to Transformers), would walk out of the theatre and say it was great. It's because they're just looking for a mindless action movie (like most people who see summer movies). We, however, are looking for plot and things like that.

OK, I was just trying to rationalise it. The general audience at my cinema didn't seem to like it overall.

My mini-review

2, 000BC

The story begins with Optimus narrating explaining that a couple of years have passed and although they and the humans have joined forces in hunting down remaining Decepticons hiding around the world, the bitter rivalry between the two factions have lasted thousands of years. He goes on to explain that despite recent events, "our peoples have met long ago on this planet" and the scene opens with the silhouette of a group of primitive humans with the burning Sun in the background (note the significance of this). Optimus goes on to speak of the traits we share with humans such as their compassion and ability for empathy, but also their ability for hatred and war - and we see those primitive humans with ferocious face paint hunt a tiger in the desert. This opening scene goes on to introduce the identity behind the Fallen and his conflict with the Prime's and is quite similar to the introduction of Megatron stuck in the ice in the first movie.

Modern day Shanghai

Crowds of people are running and jumping on their bikes as they skid off on the wet streets (rain from previous night) of Shanghai, with a newsreporters voice in the background mentioning a chemical spill. Then we see hordes of military helicopters, Apaches, Blackhaws, .50 cal mounted humvey's, looks like half the American army is on Chinese soil raiding their alleys. But the camera pans to the arm of one of the soilers, a British flag, and it becomes apparent that this a co-operative world effort. That cooperation is personified with soilers in the back of Ironheart - the Autobots are partnered with the soldiers like their calvary. They've found a decepticon in China, a very large one. Optimus is carried out on C17 and gets air dropped to help but a chase in open public, resulting in the destruction in a couple of dozen cars and a few highways, destroys the cover up the government has put around the "alien presence' (although this secret is blown up later by the Fallen who goes on TV to make demands). This has ramifications for Nest Team (the joint Autobot-Human military alliance) and eventually breaks them up due to bureaucracy.

I'll carry on later, apologies for the bland sounding review but I feel like I have to find ways to capture the audacity behind the action scenes. Words do not do them justice.

Last edited:
Questions:

Do we find out who saves Sam's parents?
Is Sam the only human to have a Transformer "come home" with them?

Bumblebee takes them and drives them off to safety at Sam's request.

No, the Autobots roll with the military now.

To those who have seen it, what were the crowds like? Do you get a sense the WOM will be a little weaker or just as strong from the general audiences when compared to the 1st film? Be honest, I know this film has a fair share of flaws. You may love it, but are there instances where you can see people put off by it's length, crude humor, etc?

The cinema was packed full and the crowd really enjoyed themselves and, I think, I did as a result too. Anyone ever experience that? When an entire group around you enjoys a moment you do, your enjoyment is magnified? It's almost like a "shared experience". There was a lot of laughter, but I think most realised it was an action movie. Maybe the girls didn't enjoy it as much though - a few of them murmured of disapproval at the sexuality on over-drive, and one after told her partner "Well, I'm glad you liked it. It was a real boy's movie".

I'll quote two seperate opinions i posted elsewhere. The first time i saw it i was very high and a little drunk and kinda enjoyed it -

I saw it last night.

It's definitly a massive, massive mess. It's definitly ******ed beyond belief. It definitly has two of the most annoying characters brought to screen in recent years (care to guess who?!). It's everything bad about a Bay film turned up to 11.

But, somehow, i still enjoyed it. I guess i was in the right frame of mind for it, being high and a little drunk and all. But i doubt i'll ever watch it again - well maybe i'll cop the BluRay just to see the robot rucks in high definition.

But seriously guys - keep your expectations low. Turn your brain off. Have a few beers with your friends first or smoke a spliff. Go into this film knowing that it's going to be nothing but a very loud rollercoaster ride - completley and utterly shallow, terribly written, but with awesome special effects and a VERY awesome fight in the forest.

And Megan Fox's ass. Don't forget the ass.

The second time i was stone cold sober and realsied my opinions don't mean **** when i'm under the influence.

Actually got dragged to this film again yesterday by the gf. Was gonna see Red Cliff until she realised it was gonna be subtitled...she doesn't do subtitles. She liked the first one so talked me into seeing it again, the evil *****.

So, after a second, sober viewing...honestly, it's awful. I don't think i've ever hated two beings more than Skids and Mudflap.

Well, maybe Orci and Kurtzman.

They must've spent all of 3 days writing this thing. I'm not asking for Shakespeare, but GODDAMN the dialouge in this thing is actually embarrasing. You feel your brain getting dumber while your watching it. It's strange that the dialouge in Star Trek was probably the best part of it's script, what with the gaping plotholes and all, yet in this film it's just beyond terrible.

Anybody who actually likes good films and the ability to hear will have a hard time not face palming themselves constantly while watching this.

The film is an ugly, horrible girl who, after you have a few beers, looks kinda do-able. But the next day, when you've sobered up and you see her, you realise she's the worst human being you've ever met and that you probably need to get an aids test.

Dang it! I think it's so unfare overseas got to see it before fans in the U.S. :woot:

Come to the conclusion Bay either got really lucky on the first film or this new 3rd writer isn't worth his salt.

Should start by saying I wasn't a huge fan of the cartoon so G1 representations etc mean diddly squat to me, but I was a fan of the first film.

Things that bugged me:

Innapropriate humour. I'm not aiming this at the twins per se, but the film is crammed with moments that shouldn't of had cheeky or cheesey humour added. Some of it is forgivable, when involving Sam's parents for instance, a lot of it is cringe worthy, however.

Inconsistency. I'm sure i'll be laughed at for thinking the first film followed a standard line of acts, but this was messy compared to its predecessor. The first hour or so is fine, but as someone else stated, at the point Jetfire gets introduced, crap falls apart and it becomes a mess of dust, robots, and random fight scenes.

Too many robots! Again, this seems like a typical Hollywood response a la Jurassic Park - add more of what makes your movie 'your movie', and you'll be certified a sucessful sequel. Bzzt. Wrong. Going from the 11 or so robots in TF1 to probably 40 or so that have no development or explanation is not only frustating to follow, it's not necessary. It's like it's been done for the sake of doing it.

Autobots not getting used. I used the 'excuse' that the first film took a lot of time to get the characters up to speed to make you invested. You care about Bumbleebee and Prime especially, and Ratchet and Ironhide grow on you by the end battle. They are completely sidelined in favour of numbers. I was actually quite pissed off that every time I thought Ironhide showed up to do something cool, he either faded into the background or got slapped out of the way.

Sam 'dying'. Any injury sustained that makes your heart stop clearly is enough to keep you down. Getting up and waltzing over to Prime and hugging Mikaela just felt wrong. The dude has shredded clothing and a mangled face when he's laying on the ground, then after a brief out of body experience seems completely fine.

Jetfire. I just think the film could of done without him completely, or at least given him a bit of pride. It was almost like watching Grandpa Simpson fumble his way around a plot, and I didn't enjoy it.

People clapping at the end. Seriously? I didn't think we did that in England.

Things I enjoyed:

Bumblebee and Prime. Same great characters from the first film. One of the tear jerkers involved Prime being beaten in a fight, was a true 'fall of a hero' moment.

The parents. I think we all enjoyed them from the first film, and there's a little more balance to them here, actually being used. Again, another tear jerker moment occurs with them and Sam, which is probably why they're so prominent in my mind.

Megan Fox. :woot:

Overall - could of been way better, could of been a hell of a lot worse, though. It's not the action epic Transformers film that the first entry in the series would of lead you to believe it was building up too, but it's a competent 2nd chapter compared to the likes of Attack of the Clones, for instance. Overall i'd probably say it's worthy of a 7.

For me to rate it any higher they'd of really needed to trim down both sides of the conflict, remove the Fallen as a PHYSICAL enemy and leave it in the hands of Starscream :-)heart:) vs Megatron, and stop with the camp humour at every possible scenario. I didn't mind the little toy car decepticon (Wheelie? Not sure it's ever mentioned) but as I stated by the end of the movie I was actually hoping the twins and Jetfire would be killed off asap. There's a lot of stuff happening just for the sake of it, which when you're pushing a 2.5 hour film and it has a lot of more important things it could cover, really starts to get on your nerves.

Next film? Politics. They touched on the idea of "what do the governments of the world have to say about alien robots kicking the crap out of each other on our planet?" and the politics involved in asylum for Autobots and invasion from Decepticons, but I'd really love to see them evicted and returning to stop something like Unicron in a combined force.

Dang it! I think it's so unfare overseas got to see it before fans in the U.S. :woot:

lol, consider it pay back for all the blockbusters the US have got ahead of everyone else, including The Dark Knight!!:cmad::oldrazz:

Well yeah but was he using his "Dwight" character or something else? I would have LOVED to see Wilson as Dwight and Sam's teacher.

Wow, this is easily the ****tiest review poll since the Star Trek review thread. :down

Well yeah but was he using his "Dwight" character or something else? I would have LOVED to see Wilson as Dwight and Sam's teacher.

I don't really watch the US Office, but basically in Transformers he's a
snobbish lecturer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back