The Dark Knight Rises Tweaks to TDK Rises

Tweaks I would've made? Oh, lots.

To start with, I would've changed the way Bane figures out the Dent coverup. The way it is done in the film is really sloppy and makes it seem that Bane just got lucky that Gordon happened to come across his lair and coincidentally also had the speech with him at the time (why was he carrying it around with him anyway?)

The scene where Bruce goes to see Gordon in the hospital was very abrupt and didn't have time to breathe to leave an impact on the audience. I would've loved to see it the way it was done in the teaser.

Less Blake. No Foley. More Selina Kyle/Catwoman. More Miranda Tate/Talia.

One major change I would've made to the script would've been Bane being an excommunicated member of the LOS who then goes on to amass his own band of mercenaries who religiously adhere to his extremist philosophy. Rather than Bane wanting to fulfill Ras al Ghul's destiny, I would have preferred if he had his own revolutionary agenda. Bane would be someone from an unnamed third-world country who has personally observed and experienced capitalist exploitation of the poor by the wealthy and that is part of his motivation to bring down the stock market and put Gotham's elite on trial.

Remove the fusion time-bomb subplot completely. Have Bane be a genuine fundamentalist revolutionary whose government has actual support of a substantial portion of Gotham's disenfranchised population. That way the street battle between the mercs and cops would've been much more meaningful. There would be a proper civil war with Bane's followers ready to sacrifice themselves and holding countless other citizens hostage to prevent any intervention from the federal government and the army.

Scrap the "Ra's al Ghul dream" altogether. It was such a contrived and unnecessary cameo.

Batman and Bane's final battle: Bane with his destroyed mask, goes berserk with pain during the fight until his physical and mental senses are overwhelmed and before succumbing to the pain, has a quiet introspective exchange with Batman expressing his admiration of Batman's strength and mettle as a worthy opponent. No Catwoman intervention.

Although Talia would be Bane's 'inside source' at Wayne Enterprises, even Bane would be oblivious to her true identity and intentions. She would stab Batman after he comes to save her following Bane's death in the climactic fight. She would be this extremely resourceful and cunning infiltrator who manged to slip into both Bruce and Bane's organisations. She would have been the one who kills Fox in the process. Bruce, in turn, lets out all his fury at Bane in the second fight thinking it was Bane who did it.

Just a few off the top of my head.

Last edited:
Scrap the "Ra's al Ghul dream" altogether. It was such a contrived and unnecessary cameo.

I agree. also, other reasons are that a lot of general audience members (who hadn't seen BB) where like, what? who is that? I also didn't like the way he just vanished/faded away. I know that's probably the best way to show it is just a hallucination, but even still, just didn't sit with me.,

Things I would TAKE AWAY from the story:

- Stryver
- the romance between Bruce/Miranda. I thought it was unnecessary. Even if she hadn't slept with him, the betrayal at the end would have still been as effective, in fact, it would have been even more concealed.
- Catwoman and Batman taking out the mercs in the sewer. I thought it was a little cheesy and kinda unrealistic/too typical comic book movieish, also didn't like the way it just cut, like a montage. it wasn't fluid with the rest of the storytelling

things I would ADD to the story:

1) Bane would show the broken Bat cowl on TV at Blackgate, everyone would think the Batman was finally dead, the prisoners would praise Bane for doing so, and believers of the Batman would lose hope.
This would also, IMO, add more significance to the fire Bat symbol on the bridge, to show the people that Batman was alive.

2) Have Batman do some detective work with trying to figure out which citizen holds the trigger. Woulda made the twist of Talia at the end better as well.

3) I also woulda liked to see the Chalk Bat-Symbol used more. Something like, believers/hopefuls of Gotham would write all over the city during the siege, sorta like an inspirational thing. The Chalk bat symbol woulda meant way more.

Main tweak I would make - when the cops encounter Bane's army at the end, half of them ride down the street on horses to mirror the infamous scene from The Dark Knight Returns.

Other than that, I'm overall satisfied. I would like to see the timer on the bomb to go bye-bye though.

1) Bane would show the broken Bat cowl on TV at Blackgate, everyone would think the Batman was finally dead, the prisoners would praise Bane for doing so, and believers of the Batman would lose hope.

I can see why Bane did not do this though.

Gordon's speech announces that Batman took the fall for Harvey.

What you describe above would glorify and martyrize Batman. That is the last thing Bane and Talia want.

And if Bane announces to the public that the self-sacrificing Batman was indeed the wealthy Bruce Wayne, it goes counter to the whole spirit of his revolution.

Remove the Cane, and limp, if Bruce was waiting to be Batman again, he should have been keeping himself in tip-top condition, it also would have made his defeat so much more powerful. He was ready, in great condition, but got destroyed.

Longer scene of Bruce with Gordon in the hospital.

Another Batman/Robin scene.

The ending. I don't like that Bruce faked his death. I would rather have a scene before he goes out to fight Bane the second time in which he is stood before his parents graves and says that he is letting go of all the pain their deaths caused him, and he would reconcile with Alfred. Bruce should have just lived up to his family name.

More time devoted to Robin and Gordon trying to keep some of the streets safe and marking them with the bat.

No shot of Bruce in The Bat before the bomb goes off.

I can see why Bane did not do this though.

Gordon's speech announces that Batman took the fall for Harvey.

What you describe above would glorify and martyrize Batman. That is the last thing Bane and Talia want.

And if Bane announces to the public that the self-sacrificing Batman was indeed the wealthy Bruce Wayne, it goes counter to the whole spirit of his revolution.

But then again, the prisoners at Black Gate would be happy that Bane "killed Batman" so that they could be free on the streets and not be stopped/have to worry about Batman. Many of the innmates are there because of Batman, it would be Bane's physical way of saying "no one will stop you, go as you please"

But then again, the prisoners at Black Gate would be happy that Bane "killed Batman" so that they could be free on the streets and not be stopped/have to worry about Batman. Many of the innmates are there because of Batman, it would be Bane's physical way of saying "no one will stop you, go as you please"

I am not talking about the prisoners.

It would glorify Batman in the eyes of the common Gotham citizens.

Talia does not want the Gotham public enkindled in the name of he who defeated her father.

(Just so you know, TDKR2012, I am not dismissing your ideas. They are strong suggestions! I am just sharing why I think Nolan's choices makes sense).

Last edited:
I would extended the Batman return scene in the parking garage to about 35 minutes of just Batman riding on the Batpod.

I'd actually just have 40 additional minutes of Batman flying around in The Bat.

I must have missed it. Batman came at Bane like Rocky came at Chubber Lang. I would rather have seen a blend of Bourne style fighting with some Donnie Yen IP Man (Wing Chung) thrown in.

It was just brawling from my perspective.

There's nothing about the way Batman fought that even remotely hinted at Wing Chun.

Bale practiced and used the Keysi Fighting Method for the Batman role. And it shows. He even added a little Keysi signature in his fights- Just about every time he goes to strike Bane at the beginning of the fight sequences, he throws hands up toward his own head, which is generally where KFM fighters place their hands.

Wing Chun would have been ridiculously out of place in this movie.

It needed to be a two parter in order to let it develop a bit slower than it did... More people of Gotham, more trapped police and their reactions, maybe a citizens revolution and more bane commanding scenes

It needed to be a two parter in order to let it develop a bit slower than it did... More people of Gotham, more trapped police and their reactions, maybe a citizens revolution and more bane commanding scenes

As much as I loved the movie, I have to agree with this.

Splitting it up into two movies, I think, could have made for a significantly stronger story.

We would have had more time for the numerous characters to develop, along with:

-The relationship between Miranda and Bruce.
-John Blake getting a little more Batman-esque.
-Catwoman just being Catwoman, eventually being referred to as such.
-Jen actually having a purpose in the story.
-Perhaps more minor villains (Black Mask and Penguin in one, perhaps), with Bane and Talia the overarching villains over the two films.

A nice subplot, over a larger story, would have been Alfred being as awesome as ever, working his own "Underground Railroad" to help get citizens out of Gotham.

- No time limit on the bombs detonation
- Gotham to look a hell of a lot worse after 5 months

Why no time limit?

Someone mentioned awhile back that Gotham was meant to look frozen in time and deserted, not war-torn. Think someone close to production said it was like some actual cities that get taken over..nobody goes out..so nothing gets wreaked. They weren't rioting or anything.

Tweaks I would've made? Oh, lots.

To start with, I would've changed the way Bane figures out the Dent coverup. The way it is done in the film is really sloppy and makes it seem that Bane just got lucky that Gordon happened to come across his lair and coincidentally also had the speech with him at the time (why was he carrying it around with him anyway?)

The scene where Bruce goes to see Gordon in the hospital was very abrupt and didn't have time to breathe to leave an impact on the audience. I would've loved to see it the way it was done in the teaser.

Less Blake. No Foley. More Selina Kyle/Catwoman. More Miranda Tate/Talia.

One major change I would've made to the script would've been Bane being an excommunicated member of the LOS who then goes on to amass his own band of mercenaries who religiously adhere to his extremist philosophy. Rather than Bane wanting to fulfill Ras al Ghul's destiny, I would have preferred if he had his own revolutionary agenda. Bane would be someone from an unnamed third-world country who has personally observed and experienced capitalist exploitation of the poor by the wealthy and that is part of his motivation to bring down the stock market and put Gotham's elite on trial.

Remove the fusion time-bomb subplot completely. Have Bane be a genuine fundamentalist revolutionary whose government has actual support of a substantial portion of Gotham's disenfranchised population. That way the street battle between the mercs and cops would've been much more meaningful. There would be a proper civil war with Bane's followers ready to sacrifice themselves and holding countless other citizens hostage to prevent any intervention from the federal government and the army.

Batman and Bane's final battle: Bane with his destroyed mask, goes berserk with pain during the fight until his physical and mental senses are overwhelmed and before succumbing to the pain, has a quiet introspective exchange with Batman expressing his admiration of Batman's strength and mettle as a worthy opponent. No Catwoman intervention.

Although Talia would be Bane's 'inside source' at Wayne Enterprises, even Bane would be oblivious to her true identity and intentions. She would stab Batman after he comes to save her following Bane's death in the climactic fight. She would be this extremely resourceful and cunning infiltrator who manged to slip into both Bruce and Bane's organisations. She would have been the one who kills Fox in the process. Bruce, in turn, lets out all his fury at Bane in the second fight thinking it was Bane who did it.

Just a few off the top of my head.

While I enjoyed TDKR and thought it was a worthy conclusion to Nolan's trilogy, I agree with a lot of your points, especially those concerning Bane. Have Talia be the only one who wants to fulfill her father's objectives for obvious reasons, together with a group of LoS members who are still loyal to Ra's ideals. I also feel her character would've benefited from some sort of role in BB as well, although in what capacity, I'm not sure.

I'm also disappointed Gordon didn't get a more satisfactory conclusion to his arc, although with all the things going on in TDKR, it would've been rather difficult to get it done without seeming rushed.

Why no time limit?
Because I personally feel like it (for want of a better word) limited the final battle quite a bit. It would have had a far greater inspiriational feel IMO if the cops and Batman decided to take back Gotham on their own rather than because the timer is running out. If Batman returned then Gordon was just like "enough is enough five months living under terrorists we need all out assault on Bane" would have been a lot more epic than "we need to get this bomb cause it is going off tomorrow".

It also would have meant the war could have been more like a war and lasted a much longer time (hours/days/nights) whereas in the film it actually lasts about 30 minutes. (I do understand that this would mean the film would be a lot longer :D)

Someone mentioned awhile back that Gotham was meant to look frozen in time and deserted, not war-torn. Think someone close to production said it was like some actual cities that get taken over..nobody goes out..so nothing gets wreaked. They weren't rioting or anything.

Yeah this has divided opinion. Some feel that they would have seen the streets in ruins (myself) but some feel like its more eerie the way it is. Which I do understand however I don't feel either was Nolan's intention I just feel there wasn't enough time to put in the ghost town streets or ruined streets therefore they weren't seen.

No timer would = huge story changes lol...OR...Batman showing up means the trigger would be hit by Talia, setting off a short-time-countdown. Idk, the way it is makes sense cos they wanted the city to suffer more, specially with a definite end-time. Maybe you just wanted Batman back sooner so the war could be bigger/take longer :woot:

I felt the ghost town vibe alot! (edit) - in a speedy way lol.

Last edited:
No timer would = huge story changes lol...OR...Batman showing up meant the trigger was hit by Talia, setting off a short-time-countdown. Idk, the way it is makes sense cos they wanted the city to suffer more, specially with a definite end-time. Maybe you just wanted Batman back sooner so the war could be bigger/take longer :woot:

See I don't think there would have been major story changes. Only a select few knew the 5 month thing not the whole of Gotham. Still have the triggerman threats. The trapped police underground. Batman still in the pit. Infact I don't think there'd have to be many changes at all as they just wanted Bruce to watch Gotham burn.

But we still need a timer or detinator in some form for the end part. But I see what you mean..the people standing up cos they want to, rather than they have to because of a timer. But I didn't mind.

But we still need a timer or detinator in some form for the end part. But I see what you mean..the people standing up cos they want to, rather than they have to because of a timer. But I didn't mind.

Oh don't get me wrong it wasn't a "Owh ma gawd Nolan ruinnedd teh moveh" problem I just think it would have had a greater inspirational impact if they decided to take a stand (Modine's "There's only one police in this city" would have been a lot more badass as well :D) rather than sort of being pushed in to it.

But I do agree there needed to be a timer in some sort especially as it was a big part of Batman's sacrifice.

"Owh ma gawd Nolan ruinnedd teh moveh"

Ima get that on a shirt lol. I get what your saying, but timer or no..I think it woulda taken guts to stand up and fight either way!

Ima get that on a shirt lol. I get what your saying, but timer or no..I think it woulda taken guts to stand up and fight either way!

It did anyway Nolan made it look epic anyway. Having The Bat boost the police in to charging was awesome.

I think the way the dealt with the passage of time was kinda awkward... Considering there was so much story going on, I think they shoulda gone with less of a time span from when the bomb is set to when it goes off. perhaps 3 months...

Cause the story jumps at months at a time, and shortens and shortens as the story goes forward.

It wasn't bad the way they handled it with dialogue, but i don't think the story would have been affected much had the entire film be set over 3 months.

I actually LOVED Batman's yelling at Bane. That was SO badass.

I feel it has one "WHERE IS THE TRIGGER?" too many. After he punches Bane's mask and just before he drops, there was no need to ask again. Just felt like too much to me.

At first, I honestly thought it was a joke. I mean, it's EXACTLY what everyone parodies. I still love the scene and I've grown to like the yelling, but it would have been a lot more badass if Batman, for once, kept his cool.

Less of Blake. I like JGL as an actor but this was his most annoying role, mostly due to the script. I thought half of his screen time should have been cut. Scrap the whole him becoming Batman nonsense. He killed two people he can never be Batman.

Scrap the 8 years gone. I just have a hard time believing he just sat in a room for 8 years. It's not believable and was poorly done.

Scrap the happy ending. I don't mean kill Batman but I for one don't think Batman should ever have a happy ending. I thought the final shot should have been as Bale looking over Gotham, exactly like 89.

I feel it has one "WHERE IS THE TRIGGER?" too many. After he punches Bane's mask and just before he drops, there was no need to ask again. Just felt like too much to me.

At first, I honestly thought it was a joke. I mean, it's EXACTLY what everyone parodies. I still love the scene and I've grown to like the yelling, but it would have been a lot more badass if Batman, for once, kept his cool.

My issue wasn't with him yelling.

It wasn't with him repeating himself.

It was the same issue I have with Ben Mendelsohn. For some reason, nobody told the dude, "Calm down, and ****ing enunciate."

Instead of, "Where's the trigger?!" we got, "Wheresh zha trigarr?!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"