Guardians of the Galaxy Tyler Bates is Scoring Guardians of the Galaxy!

Son of Coul

Not 100% A Dick
Reaction score
Gunn announced it on his Facebook today, and considering they had it planned out beforehand, it's gonna be pretty awesome:
Grateful to be working with my favorite composer, Tyler Bates, on Guardians of the Galaxy. Unlike most films, Tyler writes huge chunks of the score first so that I can actually film to the music. During action scenes and huge dramatic moments we blare the score on set so that the cast, crew, and camera can move in harmony with the music. Music is often an afterthought in film, but never for us. And everything Tyler's done so far has been amazing!
https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10151799270014570

I was hoping he'd be the one. I thought His score for Super was awesome and really captured the tone of the movie.

Not surprised by this choice since Bates is one of Gunn's regular cronies, but I can't say I'm excited about his casting either. There hasn't been a film score by Bates that's impressed me yet. Plus the guy's a plagiarist. He literally took a piece from Goldenthal's Titus and copied it note for note in his score for 300. Glad he was sued for that. It should've cost him his career. Why didn't Marvel step in pick to hire a more capable composer? It's funny how they replaced Carter Burwell with Brian Tyler but haven't stepped in yet to replace Bates. Probably won't since he's already written music that Gunn and co. can film to.

I mean there's plenty of better and more capable composers, imo, that could've scored this like Giacchino, Powell, D.Newman, T. Newman, Horner, Don Davis, David Arnold, Newton Howard, Young, Douglas Pipes, Elfman to name a few. Well I guess Ottman's DOFP is the only superhero/cbm score I'm looking forward to next summer.

I think the proven working relationship between him and Gunn coupled with this level of interaction between the composer and the filmmaking process supersedes any doubts you should have. Gunn is going to give us one hell of a whacky film and I'm glad we will have a score to match his style over any of the cliche go-to guys. Marvels scores in general are typically unremarkable and I believe this will be a perfect fit. Consider me stoked

Bates has yet to impress me, so I can't say I'll be anticipating this score all that much. But hey, he could surprise me like Brian Tyler did with IM3. Who knows.

Cool, I'm looking forward to what he can do

i loved his score for watchmen

his score for the way is very underrated

It can be a sweet soundtrack. Bates is able of doing some cool sounds.

So the soundtrack is out and its okay, but i cant help to notice that there is a certain theme that sounds extremely similar to the theme of the last Thor film.

Last edited:
It's really growing on me, love the track black tears.

Another lackluster score for the MCU, imo.

Does anyone know what was the track that was playing when the Guardians all stand up and decide to fight with Quill? And the other one I want to know is the track that was playing when the Guardians blast Ronan with the stone? I think it might have been "Black Tears" but not sure.

The score worked really well within the film.

The score was okay, but much like Iron Man 2, the songs were way more memorable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"