• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

U. of Virginia student jailed after undercover agents mistake water for beer

That girl must've been scared spitless. If half a dozen people ran up to my car in a parking lot at night and pulled guns on me, I'd have freaked right. The. F. Out.

Polar bears won't do much of anything in a few years....

*brings thread down*

Polar Bears are actually doing better than the media reports claim. But that's another topic.

There must be more to this story that hasn't been told but seeing as no one, especially the police officers behind such a ridiculous arrest, have stated what "really happened" I'm leaning towards the police overreacting like they typically do.

Seeing someone who may be underage buying beer then charging in with a half dozen officers in plain clothes and shouting commands is overkill no matter how you see it.

Polar Bears are actually doing better than the media reports claim. But that's another topic.

There must be more to this story that hasn't been told but seeing as no one, especially the police officers behind such a ridiculous arrest, have stated what "really happened" I'm leaning towards the police overreacting like they typically do.

Seeing someone who may be underage buying beer then charging in with a half dozen officers in plain clothes and shouting commands is overkill no matter how you see it.

Considering I just saw a video of a cop shooting someone's dog, I'm inclined to agree.

It's only going to get worse the more the police are given freedom to do what they want in the name of fighting terrorism™.

Oh, and we should /wave to the NSA too.

Cops can pull a gun on you if you buy beer while under aged?

Is there any reason why people continue to distrust the police.:doh:

Are the cops lucky none of them was hit by a car? They might give the girl too much trouble cause they brought that mess on themselves
Why was the badge unrecognizable? Are they real cops? Maybe they did like Schwarzengger did in "Jingle All the Way" and flashed a toy badge

That's certainly how it sounds. The article mentions "reasonable suspicion", which is understandable, but they went from that (without any further proof of alcohol or Daly's age) to jumping on her car and pulling a gun. It seems like there were easier and more logical ways to resolve the situation instead of stepping on the emotional accelerator.

is it me or is the police in America get more corrupt year by year

Actually, police in America have more oversight and accountability for their actions now than they've ever had before, not to mention we live in an age where the average citizen could potentially record any abuse of power. There are and have always been (and because some people can't handle power without letting it go to their heads, there likely always will be) corrupt police officers, but the corrupt ones are less likely to get away with it these days. So if anything, I'd say the police have been getting steadily less corrupt.

Actually, police in America have more oversight and accountability for their actions now than they've ever had before, not to mention we live in an age where the average citizen could potentially record any abuse of power. There are and have always been (and because some people can't handle power without letting it go to their heads, there likely always will be) corrupt police officers, but the corrupt ones are less likely to get away with it these days. So if anything, I'd say the police have been getting steadily less corrupt.

You could say that, but you would be wrong.

http://law.jrank.org/pages/9248/Police-Corruption-Misconduct.html

(follow internal links)

Numerous think tanks and University studies show your belief to be the exact opposite, even in the day and age of video access and uploadable recordings.

What the police have done is use their unions to lobby Congress to enact more laws to strip citizen oversight committees and make it illegal to video or records cops on duty.

Not only that, with budgets strapped, most major IA divisions have been stripped or outright removed, leaving no democratic checks and balances on the cop behavior.

In short, these badged criminals are allowed to wantonly break the law, strip civil rights and harm citizens more now than ever.

COPS ARE THE BAD GUYS. Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.

(and add in forfeiture laws and you get legalized theft, extortion and coercion.)

I'm more of the mind their corruption/abuse of power level is roughly the same only we can now prove it more often with civilians able to record their misconduct.

Add to that their legal ability to extend their powers beyond what they used to be and they are more likely to invalidate rights than ever before.

I still trust the police as individuals but on the whole I've come to distrust law enforcement of any stripe for the repeated stripping away of personal and civil rights.

Eh...I wouldn't say less corrupt. It's true that more people with cameras on their phones = more documentation of police action, but even then, many officers claim that it's actually illegal to film them, and countless people are arrested and/or have their cameras taken away every day. That's hardly an act of accountability.

Yes, there is a higher degree of accountability that is being demanded of police, but I'm not so sure that one could say that increased accountability is actually being exercised in a measurable way. That being said, it's all a tug of war game. In this day and age, there are more laws and restrictions for police to enforce, and there are more people fighting back against those laws, which is only exacerbated by officers who act aggressively and outside of the law. Whether their motivations are well-intentioned, if not overzealous, or simply malicious isn't the point.

I'm reminded of a Marine who was backpacking with his son in Texas and was accosted by police because he was carrying a rifle. He was well within all laws and regulations, so the officers arrested him on ridiculous, unrelated charges. I also recall the story of a school principle who called police after a student refused to remove his pro-NRA shirt. When the teen tried explaining to the cop that he would not change clothes because the shirt was not banned by the school's dress code and it fell under the 1st Amendment, the officer arrested him and the kid is now facing criminal charges for "obstruction of justice".

Well, that's me told.

I heard some say it before, and I have no reason to argue with them

Eh...I wouldn't say less corrupt. It's true that more people with cameras on their phones = more documentation of police action, but even then, many officers claim that it's actually illegal to film them, and countless people are arrested and/or have their cameras taken away every day. That's hardly an act of accountability.

Yes, there is a higher degree of accountability that is being demanded of police, but I'm not so sure that one could say that increased accountability is actually being exercised in a measurable way. That being said, it's all a tug of war game. In this day and age, there are more laws and restrictions for police to enforce, and there are more people fighting back against those laws, which is only exacerbated by officers who act aggressively and outside of the law. Whether their motivations are well-intentioned, if not overzealous, or simply malicious isn't the point.

I'm reminded of a Marine who was backpacking with his son in Texas and was accosted by police because he was carrying a rifle. He was well within all laws and regulations, so the officers arrested him on ridiculous, unrelated charges. I also recall the story of a school principle who called police after a student refused to remove his pro-NRA shirt. When the teen tried explaining to the cop that he would not change clothes because the shirt was not banned by the school's dress code and it fell under the 1st Amendment, the officer arrested him and the kid is now facing criminal charges for "obstruction of justice".
The whole thing reminds me of "The Client", movie about a child witnessing a suicide, telling what he witnessed time and again, and is still imprisoned
Are police in the US following that style of being a-h's and overuse their authority?

Why was the badge unrecognizable? Are they real cops? Maybe they did like Schwarzengger did in "Jingle All the Way" and flashed a toy badge

If I came up to you in a parking lot wearing street clothes , yelling , and then pulled out a badge would you be able to identify me as a police officer. How would you know it's completely legit. Also we live in a world where people dress up like cops ( and even steal police cars) so they can pull women over and rape them. So people are given a reason not to trust them to begin with and they run up on the girl like Starsky and Hutch. It's no surprise to me this happened.

If I came up to you in a parking lot wearing street clothes , yelling , and then pulled out a badge would you be able to identify me as a police officer. How would you know it's completely legit. Also we live in a world where people dress up like cops ( and even steal police cars) so they can pull women over and rape them. So people are given a reason not to trust them to begin with and they run up on the girl like Starsky and Hutch. It's no surprise to me this happened.
Schwarzenegger move, they did

Usually they dress up as cops to rob people. Sometimes they just become actual cops to do the same thing. In Texas there was basically a "robbery trap" as opposed to the lesser "speed trap" where they'd claim "suspicious people" were drug runners and confiscate their money, belongings and even vehicles. All perfectly legal until it was finally change a year or two ago.

There may be more mechanisms in place for oversight and accountability, but most of them are pretty crap. Most of them rely on internal regulation for organizations that have a culture of putting the well being of their fellow officers above basically anything else. Cover ups run rampant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"