U.S. votes to raise tobacco age from 18 to 21

It's a good effort but with underage already smoking including e-cigs enforcement is going to be important.

At 18 youre mature enough to choose to die for your country in a war, but not mature enough to use a plant? At 16 you're mature enough to operate a multi ton metal death machine at high speeds around other humans in multi ton metal death machines, but not mature enough to consume a plant? Old enough to marry and create and birth another human being at 18, but not mature enough to use a plant? At 18 we are mature enough to buy and own guns without parental supervision, but not mature enough to use a plant? Ffs, children as young as 4 in this country use guns. I'm tired of this sliding scale BS.

For the record I started smoking when I was 18. Most of my friends started between 13 and 15.

Last edited:
There are two solutions to that. Exceptions for military personnel and making enlistment 21 or older rather than giving fresh out of high school kids the opportunity to die in a war before they have had a chance to be an adult.

As for the rest, we're mature enough for all of that before 18 but most of those are preventable. That also does not mean just throwing in the towel and giving up because some of it is harder to solve than others.

So what is the justification behind this? At 18 you're a legal adult and should be able to smoke if you want to. Are they claiming it's too young? If so that's ridiculous in a day and age when a women (and who knows how many others) tries to force her very young kid into being transgender (surgery and all) when they are far away from fully developing their body and their mind. Not to mention taking away their own choice.

I think the justification is to prevent it being marketed to 18 year olds, and by similar effects, to those younger teenagers.

It is a knee jerk reaction, rather than a smartly crafted piece of regulation.

I’ve never smoked once in my life and I’m way over 21 so I have no personal dog in this fight. But I think if you’re old enough to go die in a war, you’re old enough to be allowed to make your own decision about smoking a cigarette.

I never understood why people start to smook or do drugs or drink or any thing from the start but i also think its odd that the age is 21. Like why 21? You can die for your country at 18, 18 you are considered a adult if you like get into trouble with things. So why not 18? 20 normal you are down growing so why not 20? Or brain can develope intill you are 25 so why not 25? Like were does the 21 come from never understood that number.

English Common law said that 21 is when a child becomes an adult, also drunk driving incidents apparently happened more among people younger than that age so they signed it into law in 1984.

English Common law said that 21 is when a child becomes an adult, also drunk driving incidents apparently happened more among people younger than that age so they signed it into law in 1984.

Oh ok i am just used to 18 you are called a adult and yeah i known more young people get into driving incidents drinking or not but didnt known at like 20 or younger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"