Ultimate Avengers 2: Rise of The Panther coming to dvd August 8th.

deathshead2 said:
:confused: To me your logic is flawed. Compared to all the 90s shows to me this is a huge and I mean huge step back from all the older shows.

I agree with him. How is this a step back from the 90s cartoons? Were we even watching the same shows?

What's up with the alien thing there were aliens in the first one to.

Cyclops said:
I agree with him. How is this a step back from the 90s cartoons? Were we even watching the same shows?
Are you talking to me?

No, I'm talking to someone else, which is why I quoted you. ;)

Of course I'm talking to you. I agree with Dread. I think Ultimate Avengers was much better than anything we got in the 90s.

deathshead2 said:
:confused: To me your logic is flawed. Compared to all the 90s shows to me this is a huge and I mean huge step back from all the older shows.
So, ULTIMATE AVENGERS is worse than AVENGERS: UNITED WE STAND, SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED, SILVER SURFER, the 70's FANTASTIC FOUR series, or heck, the entire last season of HULK or the first seasons of both FANASTIC FOUR and IRON MAN in the 90's? I never said WHICH "half dozen".

I'd mention that the 80's Spider-Man and "Amazing Friends" cartoons were fun for their time but ungodly cheesy now, but I don't feel like getting nasty. I know those shows have nostalgia. bad place, I found them a little funny in reruns.

My point being that while some of the 90's Marvel cartoons were/are good shows (SPIDER-MAN, X-MEN, the second seasons of IRON MAN and FANTASTIC FOUR, the first season of HULK), but there also were stinkers, as well as network restrictions on animation cost and violence content that held the shows back in nearly every way. The UA doesn't have that, and they're free to go forth with what they want to do without a network shaking a finger at throwing an alien through a window, or mentioning the word "kill" on screen. Marvel animation also needs to move foward, and that means more projects, and learning from their past.

X-MEN EVOLUTION was plenty popular as Marvel's latest effort, but that show ended nearly 3 years ago. And also had those network restrictions. I'm not expecting Oscars from the UA films, but I am also aware they don't have 12 years of continuity like the Timmverse had to inflate expectations. And surely UA is at least a smidge better than THE BATMAN or TEEN TITANS usually are (although both have their moments).

Dread said:
So, ULTIMATE AVENGERS is worse than AVENGERS: UNITED WE STAND, SPIDER-MAN UNLIMITED, SILVER SURFER, the 70's FANTASTIC FOUR series, or heck, the entire last season of HULK or the first seasons of both FANASTIC FOUR and IRON MAN in the 90's? I never said WHICH "half dozen".
Yep UA is still worse.

Cyclops said:
I'd bet that compared to X-Men 3, this will be an Oscar-caliber film.

I don't see why people are so hard on "Ultimate Avengers". It found the perfect middle ground between Ultimates (aka "The Everyone's an *******-Avengers") and the real Avengers. It was a fun story that was well-executed and is the best Marvel animation we've ever gotten if you ask me.

I too am excited for this. Most of Marvel's flagship books are terrible, X-Men 3 was terrible, they're ditching Toy Biz... at least I can get some entertainment out of the Ultimate Avengers films.

One thing that really bothered me about it is that it had absolutely no idea what it wanted to be. It was a bit too mature for a kids movie (lots of death, violence, etc)...yet it wasn't really mature enough for adults either (Thor burping, stupid cliches, dumbed down plot, and so on). It was stuck in some bizzare middle ground...that was a distraction from an already weak film.

The problem people have with it is simple. It was just....bad. The story was cliche (rag tag group has to come together to save the world). It was rushed as well (We knew nothing about the aliens motivations, the character's pasts, etc). There was no character developments. Every character was a horrible cliche (You had the loner, the wise-ash arrogant "I should be the leader" guy, the uncertain, fish out of water leader, the loner, the tough neo-feminist girl, the military hard ash, yet loveable authoritarian, the eye candy, and who can forget....the loner). The sad attempts at comedy were horrible (Thor burping? Give me a break, burping wasn't funny in the early 90s and it certainly isn't funny now) And finally, it was anti-climactic. The alien threat, that the entire movie built up to...was done in about 5 minutes with very little troube. Then the Hulk went crazy out of no where.

I seriously wonder if the producers pretty much said:

Producer 1: Aliens defeated! We, are, outta here!
Producer 2: Umm, chief, the run time is only about 50 minutes.
Producer 1:..........oh......ummm.....JUST TURN THE HULK EVIL! THAT'LL KILL SOME TIME!

It was just all around weak.

IGN WEEKLY has the trailer for ULTIMATE AVENGERS 2 here:

http://games.ign.com/articles/700/700315p1.html

Click on WEEKLY 11 and I'd recommend the Low Res version, as High Res started spamming on me. Its a long file but the UA 2 trailer is the first thing shown, so you really only need to DL about 11% of the file to view it.

And let the complaining commence. ;)

Dread said:
IGN WEEKLY has the trailer for ULTIMATE AVENGERS 2 here:

http://games.ign.com/articles/700/700315p1.html

Click on WEEKLY 11 and I'd recommend the Low Res version, as High Res started spamming on me. Its a long file but the UA 2 trailer is the first thing shown, so you really only need to DL about 11% of the file to view it.

And let the complaining commence. ;)
Now the animation moves much smoother very nice looks like they got a budget this time. And BP voice sounds good. Still hate the rest of the voice cast though.

CASTING SPOILERS!

I just searched IMDb's ULTIMATE AVENGERS 2 page for the full creditted cast and found two "notable" heroes who are cast as appearing in this film. They haven't been mentioned in earlier press releases nor are not in the trailer. This could mean they have "cameo" roles or just something secretive.

FYI, Steven Jay Blum is the voice of Black Panther

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803093/fullcredits

Supposedly, Scott MacDonald (Burley from CARNIVALE) has been cast as Hawkeye, and veteran VA Jennifer Hale has been cast as Valkyre.

(If this is "old news", forgive me, I don't hang around this forum very often.

Frankly, I dont understand how anyone can bash X3 and then defend UA.

So many Avengers stories that they could have adapted and this is the best that they could come up with. :confused:

I think that I'll pass and wait for #3. :down:o

jaydawg said:

Probably because a lot of people have this attitude. "Ah its a cartoon, its supposed to be crappy."

I personally enjoyed both UA and X3.

This looks just as good as the first one. :) Kind of iffy on the War Machine armor but it looks like they'll have a good explaination (Iron Man's armor being trashed...conveniently leaving the way for him to create even better armor to fight off the aliens)...I'm hoping the Black Panther doesn't only fire claws in this movie either. I want to see him shown as being Cap's superior...And once seen in motion, that costume isn't too bad. :) It's not as good as the original but it ain't half bad. Looks like I got something else to look forward to this summer besides Superman Returns. :up:

I'm sorry wasn't Silver Surfer actually suppose to be pretty good and just got concelled prematurely.

ShadowBoxing said:
I'm sorry wasn't Silver Surfer actually suppose to be pretty good and just got concelled prematurely.
Technically, SILVER SURFER and AVENGERS: UNITED THEY STAND were cut mostly because at the time, Marvel was sort of going bankrupt and ran out of cash.

I watched SURFER a bit back when it was on, and while it was "good' in the sense that some of the writing and dialogue was good, it was quite tedious and boring in many instances, and I didn't miss it. I'd fallen asleep and lost interest before that point.

Low-budget animation, "rocket-powered claws," cheesy writing, and CLICHES I have seen 1000 times before.

YAWN.

ShadowBoxing said:

Yes. It's by far Marvel's most under-rated cartoon series. It didn't prove as popular as X-men or Spider-man, because it wasn't just a cartoon on crack with one explosion after another.

The Question said:
Why was it a bad idea? T'Challa is a kind who's primairy interests lie with Wakanda. The Avengers, at the time at least, was a rpimairily American group. It makes sense for that to be his reason for joining.

One of the things I hate about modern Marvel comics in the 616 is the overuse of the the retcon. It seems to happen in every Marvel book these days. Marvel can't even seem to let the Silver Age stories stay in tact.

When you go back and read the early Avengers, there is absolutely nothing there to indicate T'Challa joined the team to spy on them. Cap felt a kinship with T'Challa and literally handpicked him to replace him while he took a leave of absence. The way I interpreted the story (and the way it read) T'Challa was honored to replace Cap and join the team. End of Story.

Priest seemed desire to make T'Challa the coolest character in the MU and Marvel's answer to Batman. Batman would join the JLA to spy on them. The Pre-Priest T'Challa was never presented to have that type of personality or need for control. In hindsight it added nothing to the book and will in all likelihood be forgotten (like the Panther series in general) by future writers thant handle the character.

jaydawg said:

I can understand people bashing X3, but defending this is indeed a real conundrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"