Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Tina Fey/Ellie Kemper Netflix Comedy

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://tvline.com/2013/10/31/ellie-kemper-nbc-comedy-series-tina-fey-2014-tv-season/
Scoop: NBC Hands Series Order to Tina Fey- Penned Comedy Starring Office's Ellie Kemper

Tina Fey and Ellie Kemper? I want to go to there.

NBC has given a 13-episode straight-to-series order to a new half-hour comedy series created by Fey and her 30 Rock collaborator Robert Carlock and starring Office alum Kemper, TVLine has learned.

Tentatively titled Tooken, the single-camera comedy — set to premiere in Fall 2014 — centers on a woman (Kemper) who escapes from a doomsday cult and starts life over in New York City (where the show will be shot).

Fey (who will not appear onscreen, save for a possible guest appearance) and Carlock penned the pilot script and will serve as EPs alongside fellow Rocker David Miner.

“Tina and Robert, who cemented their partnership on 30 Rock, have created a new signature comedy for us that is audacious, emotional, and clever,” said Peacock Chairman Robert Greenblatt. “While tapping into very relatable themes, there isn’t anything like this anywhere else on television. NBC has been their home for many years and we’re so happy that they’ve found another way to push the comedy envelope for us.”

It’s the latest project under Fey’s new four-year deal with Universal Television. (She also has in the pipeline a Cheers-esque workplace comedy for NBC and a women’s college-set sitcom for Fox.)

Kemper recently headlined the NBC comedy pilot Brenda Forever.
Between the plot description and being created by Tina Fey, this already sounds a thousand times better than the comedies NBC picked up this season. Plus Ellie Kemper as a former cult member in the big city just sounds right to me.

The only thing I'd want is Fey to make a few guest appeareances. Otherwise it does sound like NBC is finding something worthwhile to add to their comedy line up.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/03/30-...joins-tina-fey-robert-carlocks-tooken-series/
’30 Rock’s Tituss Burgess Joins Tina Fey & Robert Carlock’s NBC Series ‘Tooken’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Tina Fey and Robert Carlock have recruited a recurring player from their comedy 30 Rock for their followup NBC series, 13-episode comedy Tooken. Tituss Burgess, who played D’Fwan, the flamboyant member of Tracy Jordan’s wife’s (Sherri Shepherd) entourage on 30 Rock for two seasons, is the first actor to join star Ellie Kemper in Tooken. Written by Fey and Carlock, who serve as showrunners, Tooken centers on Kimmy (Kemper) who escapes from a doomsday cult and starts life over in New York. Burgess will play a gay, larger-than-life, genuinely talented singer who has never made it to Broadway and lives hand-to-mouth, working as a robot in Times Square. His relationship with Kimmy will re-energize him. The role appears tailor made and likely written for Burgess, down to the character name. Burgess is a talented singer who has appeared in a number of Broadway productions, including Rent, The Little Mermaid and Guys and Dolls, and is openly gay. He’s repped by Hartig Hilepo Agency, Soffer-Namoff Entertainment and attorney Michael Mahan.
Ahh, D'Fwan.... I've missed you.

tumblr_mc08fjwvks1qgv6z8o1_500.jpg

Deadline says this has been retitled "Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt".

another reason why I am GLAD I have Netflix :awesome:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tina-fey-what-netflix-move-761584
Tina Fey: What Netflix Move Means for 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'
11:27 AM PST 1/7/2015 by Michael O'Connell

"It's going to be like that year when [Howard] Stern went from regular radio to Sirius"

Don't expect many changes for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt now that it's set to air on Netflix.

Little more than a month after news broke that their new show would get a second season and premiere on the streaming service, not NBC as originally planned, 30 Rock collaborators Tina Fey and Robert Carlock trotted out the cast for the Television Critics Association winter press tour and discussed how the move happened and why a departure from broadcast means little for the content of the comedy.

"I think season two is going to be mostly shower sex," joked Fey, adding that the tone of the series was already set with the first 13 episodes written and filmed with the intent of airing on NBC. "It's going to be like that year when [Howard] Stern went from regular radio to Sirius. … It will be interesting to see in season two, once we have the option to use curse words, if we will."

Fey and Carlock didn't seem to know what changes, if any, will happen in season two — outside the obvious freedom of not having to write to a tight 22 minutes. But they both seemed, quite expectedly, pleased with the opportunity to get an early renewal in a year where no new broadcast comedy (save ABC's Black-ish) looks like a shoo-in for another season.

"It was probably the fastest that anything good ever happened to me in the business," said Carlock. "Bad things happen quick all of the time."

The writing partners and co-creators had sat down with NBC's Robert Greenblatt and Jennifer Salke in November to discuss the best options for the show — and Netflix execs Ted Sarandos and Cindy Holland happened to be in New York. It was apparently just a matter of days before the deal to move the show was finalized.

"The show is made by NBC, so it's in their best interest to find the best home for it," said Fey. "I think it could have been on NBC, and it would have been had this deal not come together, but what I read is that the networks are having a little trouble launching comedy across the board this season. I think people would have found us, but I think more people will find us here."

The very specific premise of the comedy — a woman, played by The Office's Ellie Kemper, emerges from 15 years in a doomsday bunker and moves to New York City — was also a big part of the discussion. And Fey admitted that making that funny isn't always easy.

"We spent the first several weeks with the writers talking about all of the heaviness first," she said. "It reminded me about going back to Saturday Night Live after 9/11: OK, we're going to find comedy."

[YT]mNKEKlXY3Z4[/YT]
The bit about dancing being all about butts and her freaking out about Velcro were gold.

This looks fantastic. Also nice to know it will already have a second season.

Hits Netflix tonight.

"Thank you, Bryant."

Two minutes in and they already killed me.

I need to watch this. With Parks gone and Veep still a month a way, I need my comedy fix.

I just finished House of Cards, well looking forward to this, Ellie Kemper is adorahot.

I'm half way through House of Cards. Once I'm done with that, I will start this show. Looks hilarious.

Going to watch this now. Off-topic (sort of), Netflix added a list of titles that Gob Bluth watched, starting with 'The Natural History of the Chicken.' :awesome:

Watched a few episodes and liking it so far.

I'm not entirely convinced this show won't end with Kimmy changing her name to Erin and moving to Scranton though.

I'm not entirely convinced this show won't end with Kimmy changing her name to Erin and moving to Scranton though.

She doesn't seem quite that brain-dead. At least, not yet.

Ended up binge watching all the eps and I really enjoyed it. It feels like one of NBC's big comedies, 30 Rock, The Office, Parks, Community. I love 30 Rock and it was a joy seeing Krakowski again playing the overly dramatic blond, and like the shows I mentioned previously the show also has great supporting characters and subtle jokes hidden in the background and in conversation that will be fun to catch on later viewings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"