Underrated CB movies

I guess Batman Forever is really underrated, I've come to appreciate it more over the years. Val Kilmer was a excellent Bruce Wayne.

People complain about V for Vendetta?! That movie is just so gooooood!

Yes, it is not very faithful to Moore's book. So, if you find a lot of purists who have read it, the movie is something to despise.

IMO, Hulk '03 is very underrated.

IMO, Hulk '03 is very underrated.

Agreed ! I liked the whole comic book panel thing Lee was trying to do.
Plus, Nolte was great as the mad scientist dad.
There were lots of good things about this movie that people overlooked.

For its time, it was pretty damn good, and tried to explain why Banner
had such terrible anger issues (even before the gamma rays).

I thought I'd already joined this discussion, but it doesn't look like I have, so here we go:
* Batman Forever (as others have said, this film gets lumped in with Batman and Robin as being dreck, but it's actually much closer to Batman and Batman Returns in terms of quality and tone)

* TMNT 3 (I happen to really enjoy this movie; it needed a little more resolution in terms of being a follow-up to TMNT 2, but it's a pretty fun movie nonetheless)

* Man of Steel (I am much more of a Batman fan than a Superman fan, but I thought MoS was a really good film that made Superman accessible to people who might not particularly like the character)

* 30 Days of Night (I don't particularly like the Horror genre, but really enjoyed this movie, mainly because it works as both a tight thriller in its own right as well as a comic adaptation)

* 300 (I think Zack Snyder is a great director whose inherent style is perfectly suited to doing comic-book movies, and 300 is the best example of that style that I can think of right now; it also doesn't hurt that the movie is based as much on the actual historical events that it depicts as it is on the comic that directly inspired it)

* The Rocketeer (This film is really the definition of 'underrated'; it's an incredibly good movie that didn't get nearly the appreciation it deserved when it was in theaters but has become increasingly recognized for its brilliance in the years since)

Last edited:
Agreed ! I liked the whole comic book panel thing Lee was trying to do.
Plus, Nolte was great as the mad scientist dad.
There were lots of good things about this movie that people overlooked.

For its time, it was pretty damn good, and tried to explain why Banner
had such terrible anger issues (even before the gamma rays).

Completely agreed. I watched the movie once and I found it pretty boring, then last year I watched again and I was amazed of how much I enjoyed. I would have preferred a sequel instead of TIH.

I've said it before, but I think Hulk 2003 would have been about 75% better if they just dropped the entire epilogue sequence. Replace it with a few minutes of General Ross going "People listened to Talbot's plans, and that got them a disaster. So now, they are listening to my plans". Scene of Banner working in a laboratory, zoom out to reveal that its a inside a vault deep inside Gamma Base, with both General and Betsy Ross outside looking into it. Fade to black.

. . .stinger. David Banner melds out of a wall, and looks on his sleeping son. "Oh, they mean to keep you caged, until you can destroy everything that makes you special? We can't have that." Fade to black.

My list of underrated CBMs:

Barbarella (1968)
Immortal (2004)
Sin City
Watchmen
Batman (1966, 1989)
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Justice League: War
The Crow (1994)
Hardware (1990)
Judge Dredd (1995)
Dredd (2012)
Justice League: Doom
The Mask (1994)
Punisher (2004)
The Rocketeer (1991)
Spiderman (2002)
Supergirl (1984)
Man of Steel (2013)
Tank Girl (1995)
TMNT (1990)
Superman I & II
Timecop (1994)
Wonder Woman (2009)
Weird Science (1985)
X-Men 1 & 2
The Shadow (1994)
Dick Tracy (1990)
The Toxic Avenger (1984)

*Some of these may not be very underrated, but I included them anyway
**Some may not be based on comic books

My list of underrated CBMs:

Barbarella (1968)
Immortal (2004)
Sin City

Watchmen
Batman (1966, 1989)
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse
Justice League: War
The Crow (1994)
Hardware (1990)
Judge Dredd (1995)
Dredd (2012)
Justice League: Doom
The Mask (1994)

Punisher (2004)
The Rocketeer (1991)
Spiderman (2002)
Supergirl (1984)
Man of Steel (2013)
Tank Girl (1995)
TMNT (1990)
Superman I & II

Timecop (1994)
Wonder Woman (2009)
Weird Science (1985)
X-Men 1 & 2
The Shadow (1994)
Dick Tracy (1990)
The Toxic Avenger (1984)

*Some of these may not be very underrated, but I included them anyway
**Some may not be based on comic books

Ya, definately not underrated at all. Some may be underrated by the general audience, but most of them were either hits, or hits with the fandom.

I won't count films that have a strong fanbase following, but films that aren't all that praised by the GA or the fanbase.

Hulk
Punisher 04/War Zone
Daredevil Directors Cut
30 Days of Night
Constantine (I understand the hate for this one. It is almost completely different than the comic, but on it's own terms it's pretty awesome. It's more like a big budget horror movie than the action film some people sell it as. it has action, but it's mostly short scenes and they are spread far apart.)

I almost put TASM, Watchmen ect but those really aren't majorly disliked. I'd say there are more people who like them then hate them, even if they do have some serious detractors.

Last edited:
TMNT (1990) is very underrated. Lol. Cool movie.

I won't count films that have a strong fanbase following, but films that aren't all that praised by the GA or the fanbase.

Hulk
Daredevil Directors Cut

Absolutely love those two, especially Hulk, that's in my top ten favorite superhero movies.

Hulk yes, Daredevil no. Even considering the director's cut. It might add some good scenes, but it still has all the terrible ones. I want to see Daredevil done some justice dammit.

It's one of the first serious Superhero movies, I mean, yeah I guess B89 & BR were (I'm sorry but STM and S2 are not serious in my opinion), and showed a side of the Hulk that not many people are aware of, IE the Peter David run and some others....hell even a arc (I forgot the name, but I have it somewhere.) about how detailed the family issues between the Banner's are, which this film took inspiration from. Honestly, a few things aside, imo AngHulk is 10 times closer to the Hulk stories than TIH was. Even the freakin' origin was closer in AngHulk than the Closer-To-The-Comics MCU.

Batman Returns is the most underrated IMHO. The production quality is off the charts. Check out the Blu-ray. One of the best looking movies from the 80's and 90's.

But besides the visuals, the characters are great. I love the duality between Bruce and each of the three villains. Keaton and Pfeiffer had the best chemistry of any romantic pair in superhero movie history. Doesn't get any better:

http://youtu.be/i4kQVqkLLDs?t=18s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeEz9oE17ac

Danny Elfman also knocked it out of the park with the musical score. He did an awesome job building on the themes from the first Batman film.

Last edited:
As you can see from my list in my sig, The Wolverine sticks out for being quite high. I absolutely love this film! It feels so real, personal and violent. Great balance of character development and action, good story and everything I've wanted from a Wolvie film.

I understand most people how it gets a little too gimmicking/comic-bookish at the end, but that doesn't take away from it at all. I didn't mind that at all. My only dislike was Viper. While she didn't bother me, in the end, she is just a bit forgettable. But at the same time, she doesn't really need to be that memorable. Yes she was the villain, but the story is more about Logan's personal struggle from within, which I loved!

Yeah, I really liked the extended version also, in addition to the TC. Mangold knocked it out the park.

It's one of the first serious Superhero movies, I mean, yeah I guess B89 & BR were (I'm sorry but STM and S2 are not serious in my opinion), and showed a side of the Hulk that not many people are aware of, IE the Peter David run and some others....hell even a arc (I forgot the name, but I have it somewhere.) about how detailed the family issues between the Banner's are, which this film took inspiration from. Honestly, a few things aside, imo AngHulk is 10 times closer to the Hulk stories than TIH was. Even the freakin' origin was closer in AngHulk than the Closer-To-The-Comics MCU.

:bow:

I've been sayin' this forever.

Lee did first what everybody praises Nolan for doing. Not to take away from Nolan, but Ang Lee beat him to the punch.

STM and SII are serious, except for the comedy Luthor and co. They were as serious as it coul and more than anything before about superheroes. But if you want to see real serious before Ang Lee and Nolan, see the Incredible Hulk TV pilot (1977). Just the pilot, not the whole series.

That said, I like Ang Lee's Hulk a lot.

STM and SII are serious, except for the comedy Luthor and co. They were as serious as it coul and more than anything before about superheroes. But if you want to see real serious before Ang Lee and Nolan, see the Incredible Hulk TV pilot (1977). Just the pilot, not the whole series.

That said, I like Ang Lee's Hulk a lot.

Very true, the pilot is a fantastic origin story. It works incredibly well for a TV pilot of the 70s. It's serious, well acted, compelling and the action well done for what it is.

As feature length origin stories go, that pilot is a serious contender for one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"