Underrated CB movies

We've talked about Green Goblin, but since Doc Ock was brought up I'll talk about him.

Dr. Octopus is my favorite Spidey villain from the comics, mostly because I feel he is the most visually interesting and that is definitely intact in the film.

In terms of character, Comic Ock was a respected scientist who was injured horrifically during an experiment and ended up having the arms fused to him. It also damaged his brain and he became a criminal, mostly robbing banks and such so he could fund his science projects. Raimi expanded upon that, but Movie Ock is still fundamentally that character. As a result, Ock is still regarded by most people as being the very best Spider-Man shown in live action and I absolutely agree with that. Of the six villains shown thus far over four films, Dr. Octopus was done the best.

I feel like some people in this thread are confusing "movies that are underrated" with "movies that are terrible but I like anyway".

I agree, we should indeed explain that dichotomy.

In my case i find both of DelToro movies blade2 and hellboy 2 to be too action oriented where they could have profited from less action and more horror at a slower pace. Also i don't believe any of the acting to be specially touching and plots are simple with some twists, not really a mind blasting script.

On the other hand: visual conceptualization candy. Both harboring more detail than one can see with one view, decors, costumes, make-up, they are over designed in all the great ways.

On the other hand: ASM design of the lizard made me think i was watching killer Croc, not a good thing. it's really a bland human-reptile hybrid. I'M not talking about graphics I'm talking about the face, the tail, gimme scales fangs and spikes, gecko hands and crap, make it scary...

It wasn't even a good Killer Croc. The version we got in Arkham Asylum was a far scarier and more effective villain than the Lizard in ASM.

This Lizard was more like the stupid Croc from TAS that likes to throw rocks at people and befriends circus freaks and isn't threatening at all.

Batman Returns. Keaton was great as Bats once again, Pfeiffer totally killed it as Catwoman, and Devito was having so much fun that he's just fun to watch every moment that he's on screen. And when he's not hamming it up, he does a great job at portraying the tormented, raging, alienated side of Burton's Penguin.

Extra points for the penguin army marching with rockets and the iconic image of Bruce Wayne standing in front of the projected bat signal.

This is one of those movies that people seem to either love or hate, and there's lots of people that can't stand it. I think it was better than the first, personally. Burton had more passion for it because they let him do what he wanted to do, and that passion really shines through. Not only would I say that it's underrated, I'd also say that (on the big screen, at least) it's the most unique take on a mainstream superhero's world that we've ever been given.

I don't get the complaint about the Lizard's design, granted I would have liked a bigger snout but a very big one would have looked silly when talking. They did not want spider-man meets Jurassic Park. He looks more human because that was the point of the serium, to enhance humanity. You can't have a dinosaur turn everyone into dinosaurs, only a repralian enchanted human doing the same thing.

Lizard's design was based on how he was originaly draw so wither or not it looked good is subjective. With a smaller snout you can see emotion but on GG you couldn't because of the mask.
At least the Lizard's look is based off a version of him.

In the special features they said the design of the Lizards's face was also so they could effectively motion capture Ifans performance and facial expressions. Thus giving the Lizard more humanity, and emotion. Spot on!

I thought the sewer sequences would have faired better with some of the cut footage. Connors family should have been written in and been a more important part of the conflict between the Lizard and Spider-Man. But almost every Lizard story in the comics for a long time has centered around Curt and Billy so in a way, I am OK with the film taking a different path. Also, the Lizard persona has evolved over the years as well. Sometimes he is a mindless animal and Curt is totally unaware of what happens, to similar to the Hulk for film adaptation. Sometimes Curt is aware and in control as the Lizard, but trying to fight the animal influence, roughly what was presented on screen. Lately the Lizard persona has been revealed to be a dormant part of the reptilian brain that has now overtaken Connors completely.

The good thing about the Lizard is unlike most other villains, he was not killed off at the end, so who knows what's to come for Dr. Connors in the Amazing franchise. He could potentially be redeemed for those that were dissatisfied.

Too bad there was like, 2 or 3 scenes with Lizard proving his humanity and emotion.

I don't get the complaint about the Lizard's design, granted I would have liked a bigger snout but a very big one would have looked silly when talking. They did not want spider-man meets Jurassic Park. He looks more human because that was the point of the serium, to enhance humanity. You can't have a dinosaur turn everyone into dinosaurs, only a repralian enchanted human doing the same thing.

Lizard's design was based on how he was originaly draw so wither or not it looked good is subjective. With a smaller snout you can see emotion but on GG you couldn't because of the mask.
At least the Lizard's look is based off a version of him.

He doesn't look anything like the original and that's not subjective. His original design is a skinny scientist with lab coat purple pants and the old evil big head. We got a massive monster with way less texture, smaller eyes, etc etc. In fact, had they used lizards for inspiration he would look a lot less like a Jurassic park dinosaur then what they came up with.

The serum was supposed to give him no reptilian features, it failed, that's why he becomes a monster.

If you throw away those silly misconceptions that you can't have the best of both worlds, then we could have had a 2 or 3 stage transformations, we could have seen a human, slightly reptilian and full lizard monster but hey, mediocrity pleases the crowds it seems.

Should have just gone with this

Original-Lizard-Design-1-the-amazing-spider-man-2012-31598516-1280-1044.jpg

Just saw Iron Man 2 last night. Was better than I remembered. It's only SLIGHTLY underrated though ;)

I don't get the complaint about the Lizard's design, granted I would have liked a bigger snout but a very big one would have looked silly when talking [...]At least the Lizard's look is based off a version of him.

Agreed, very good points here. However, therein lies the problem for me - the idea of cross species genetics would have been far more powerful for me if they showed just how much the animal could truly take over. Connors from the beginning of his transformation, right until the end, had full command over his intellect - he was able to talk normally, and even make a cocktail of chemicals for a homemade grenade in a matter of seconds.

It would have been far more terrifying and infinitely more interesting if his change to the Lizard was more gradual, and his eventual transformation was more or less like it was in the comics - with very limited speech (if any)

He just wasn't scary at all, and it was a missed opportunity based on an insistence to grant him fully capable speech :doh:

for me Watchmen is the most underrated comic book movie of all time i have it in my top 5 of best cbm
936full-watchmen-poster.jpg

beautiful cinematography and visually beautiful to look at,really underrated 1980's inspired score,great acting,action was very good and quite brutal,Manhattan origin section alone is worth it's praise:yay:

Agreed 1000%

I just don't understand the hate this movie gets. In one breath people say they didn't like it "because it strayed too far from the comic, we see Dr Manhatten's penis, Nite Owl & Silk Spectre have sex, and they changed the ending."

Well, out of all the things just listed, the only thing that strayed from the comic was the ending. Keeping all the things listed above that were in the comic and including them in the movie is actually part of what makes it such a damn good movie. And I found the movie's ending to be an acceptable alternative to the comic's ending.

Honestly, I don't think these people even know why they hat the film. I guess they decided that they have to hate something.

Man, there are so many underrated Superhero films, I'll just put down 5 or so.

1. Dredd, actually got the spirit of the comics just right, and made it fit in a
believable world. Karl Urban was great. Probably not the best comic film ever
but still extremely cool.

2. Watchmen: got mediocre reviews, but I dare anyone to do a better adaptation of
Moore's masterwork ! The story-telling was about as faithful as a screen adaptation can get ( remember people, Jackson had to change Lord of the Rings to make it watchable, uh-oh, I can hear Tolkien nerds getting angry now, but back off, I was an extra in the Hobbit, so I'm not dissing Professor T, might surprise you to know that Andy Serkis is the nicest guy you'll ever meet, okay enough about that !)

On the down side for WM, I'll admit that big glowing blue penises don't work all that
well on the big screen (a jock-strap was definitely needed). But, overall a super film
right from the credits. They didn't hold back on what a murdering-rapist-psychopathic ******* the comedian was, or how Doctor manhattan was essentially a weapon of mass destruction who slaughtered viet cong. Plus, solid performances by Patrikc Wilson and Malin Ackerman, the real star, Jackie earle Hayley, man he nailed Rorschach, got the character EXACTLY RIGHT.

Anyway, I hate to say it, as someone who bought WM when it first came out,
it ****ing rocked my world, but Snyder/Tse's ending actually made more sense than
Alan Moore's . I know every Moore fan in the world is cursing me now, I know, I'm a Moore
fan myself. Anyway, the "giant alien squid " was just weird, whereas Doctor Manhattan turning against humanity, actually made sense, because people would be **** scared and stay that way, in case he ever came back. And of course Rorschach still gets blown up,
so big props to WM and Snyder !

3. Daredevil......just kidding ! It was crap

4. Speed Racer. Okay, mostly a kid's film, and only sort of a super-hero, but some
sly Wachowski humour (especially about corporate greed), and surprisingly a faithful adaptation of the classic hero's journey. If you don't take it seriously, it's a lot of fun.
But you need to watch it a couple of times to keep on top of things, as the non-linear narrative gets a bit disorienting.

5. Green Lantern.....again kidding ! There were a few okay moments, but man, they
**** all over one of my favourite characters, and Blake Lively was perhaps the most boring love interest in a superhero film ever. The only remotely cool thing was Mark
Strong as Sinestro. I like Ryan Reynolds, but boy was he ever miscast. All in all,
fun to watch, but crap.

5. Fantastic Four: rise of the Silver Surfer. Silly, and I actually prefer the anthropomorphized version of Galactus, but the old Doc Doom steals SS's powers
is such a classic storyline. Not a bad film, Silver Surfer was well done, if there'd
been a better Doctor Doom both FF movies would have been much more enjoyable.

6. You're all going to laugh.....Ghost Rider: spirit of Vengence (yes, you heard me, I was the one person in the world who liked it). I actually enjoyed Cage's crazy performance it was such a fun movie, incredibly stupid, but fun.

7. Ang Lee's Hulk. Liked it, a slightly different take on the character. Didn't like the explanation for his powers (especially as some of them come from sea cucumbers) but
loved NOlte as the mad scientist dad, classic. And an interesting adaptation of the
absorbing man. All in all, not a bad film. I had been looking forward to seeing the Hulk
wipe out tanks and various army hardware, this film delivered (that prick Talbot really
had it coming !) Also, Sam Elliot as General Ross, was suitably detestable.

I can probably think of a bunch more. Although I have a soft-spot for super-hero films.
generally, I'm much more critical as a moviegoer (e.g. I really enjoyed Howard the Duck,
for ****'s sake, it's fun ).

Anyway, Great thread ! :)

Last edited:
Agreed 1000%

I just don't understand the hate this movie gets. In one breath people say they didn't like it "because it strayed too far from the comic, we see Dr Manhatten's penis, Nite Owl & Silk Spectre have sex, and they changed the ending."

Well, out of all the things just listed, the only thing that strayed from the comic was the ending. Keeping all the things listed above that were in the comic and including them in the movie is actually part of what makes it such a damn good movie. And I found the movie's ending to be an acceptable alternative to the comic's ending.

Honestly, I don't think these people even know why they hat the film. I guess they decided that they have to hate something.

LOVE Watchmen, it's just an awesome movie with great characters, tone, action, costumes and music. In my top 5 for sure

Especially agreed with your last paragragh

-Dredd. Dredd is definitely the most underrated. Such a damn good film worthy of much more.
-The Rocketeer
-The Shadow
-Kick-Ass
-Kick-Ass 2
-Daredevil
-Dick Tracy

Last edited:
I think Kick-Ass 2 is just as good as the praise gives it out to be, which is a very average movie. Not bad, not great, just good...even if barely so.

To each their own. I have not at all seen the fan reaction be anywhere near as brutal as the RT suggests. Most of the audience reaction has been quite positive.

Don't get me wrong, I liked it, and I do agree it shouldn't have hit 23% or whatever it is on RT, but...The comedy wasn't as good this go round, Hit girl was meh, MF'er was funny/cool, but still anything to write home about, the change in director really hurt the movie, and the sick stick was just god awful, and the movie could've used a little bit of development. Overall i'd give it a 7/10, but it was a massive comedown after the first.

Looking at the thread title, the '89 Dolph Punisher sprang to mind instantly. It is a much better movie than the later two efforts.

I also thought the Spawn movie was pretty fun for what it was.

I liked Kick-Ass 2 a lot more than the first one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"