Underrated CB movies

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by Green Goblin, Aug 7, 2013.

1. insideguy

insideguy Well-Known Member

Watchman by far. Great movie very well done.

2. NosfeRomas

NosfeRomas Well-Known Member

Watchmen, Scott Pilgrim and Constantine.

3. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

Watchmen, Batman Forever, and Man Of Steel.

4. Chance Jackson

Chance Jackson Well-Known Member

Scott Pilgrim

5. FeedOnATreeFrog

FeedOnATreeFrog (A Metal Gear reference)

Underrated by fans, not critics

Spider-Man 3.

I still enjoy this movie, despite how stupid it is. A 6/10, not a 1/10, like many other fans seem to see it as.

I still enjoy Raimi's tone (yes, including Topher Grace's Eddie Brock and dancing Peter), and I find it to be more enjoyable than Captain America & The Incredible Hulk, which I think are both pretty dull.

X-Men: The Last Stand

Dumb, but still enjoyable enough. A 6/10 for me, not a 1/10. It doesn't get on my nerves as much as First Class.

Superman Returns

Some of the storytelling is bizarre and ineffective, but I still liked the overall feel. 6/10.

Dark Knight Rises

A lot of fans hate this movie. I love it, despite how it doesn't reach its full potential. 8.5/10 for me.

Underrated by critics

Man of Steel

Underrated by critics, though I understand why it wouldn't appeal to a lot of people.

But I loved it. 8/10 for me.

Watchmen

Ditto what I said about Man of Steel.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. CyclopsWasRight

CyclopsWasRight Well, he was.

Watchmen absolutely. One of my favourites.

I think Batman Forever too. It had one of the best arcs for Bruce, yes it was flashy and villain-centric but no way near as comedic as Batman & Robin

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  7. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Batman Forever
    Spider-man 3

8. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Cloud kicks ass

Watchmen is severely under-rated, especially the DC. I watched the theatrical cut last night and even thats still superb, but for me the DC is in my top 5 CBM's.

9. Thundarr

Thundarr Well-Known Member

I've never understood all the hate The Watchmen seems to get. I really enjoyed the movie when I saw it in theatres. And I recently saw the DC version, and I enjoyed that even more.

Maybe it's because I never read the graphic novel before seeing the film (I read it about a year later). But even then, most complaints I had heard was that it wasn't true to the source material. But after reading it, I found the opposite to be true. It was VERY faithful to its source material. So why all the hate?

Fan boys can be weird.

10. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

What really pisses me off about Watchmen is the ending. It's not that bad, but outside of JEH, I don't really like it.

11. 3dman27

3dman27 super-hero wannabe

quoted for truth

12. Senator Pleasury

Senator Pleasury Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any other version of Watchmen. I still think it's good, but not so much when compared to the comics. I always get the feeling that Snyder did good with great material, but nothing makes me feel he went beyond what was there already (well, except things like the suits and the ending with the bomb).

13. jonathancrane

jonathancrane I love Marvel, DC & EC!

The film adaptation of Watchmen improved on the ending of the text in almost every way...except,when they assigned one of the finest lines in history ("Nothing ever ends, Adrian") to Silk Spectre, which drained the vitality from it. As a writer better than myself observed, it was a rejection from the text's equivalent of God...and they put it in the mouth of someone else, particularly the last character who should have uttered it.

14. PaulRom

PaulRom Well-Known Member

Man of Steel
    Spider-Man 3
    The Dark Knight Rises
    Green Lantern
    Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
    The Incredible Hulk
    Iron Man 2

15. Shikamaru

Shikamaru Well-Known Member

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1990)
    -Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    -Batman Forever
    -Daredevil: Director's Cut
    -The Incredible Hulk
    -Punisher: War Zone
    -Watchmen
    -The Amazing Spider-Man
    -The Wolverine

16. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

It's a strange case for me because in some ways it is actually too close to the source material, like attempting to recreate panels of the comic verbatim in the film and stifling the pacing, and not faithful enough in other ways such as Snyder's insistence on making every facet look "cool" when it goes against the core tenets of the book. The ways in which it follows the comic are mostly superficial whereas the incongruities stem from a deeper thematic and narrative misunderstanding of the text. It's extremely uneven, doing some things very well and others badly, but I suppose that's what you get when you try and turn a 12-issue comic into a single movie, one directed by Zach Snyder no less.

17. Loki882

Loki882 Well-Known Member

I personally felt that the ending to the movie worked much better than the comic book one. In the comic, there was a gigantic flaw in Veidt's plan and the movie pretty much fixed that, and made more sense overall.

18. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Agreed. Moore's genius was in the overall storyline and the characterizations, which Snyder translated directly to the screen, almost without change.
    Now the ending (as in the giant squid)....it's almost like Moore didn't have that part worked out, he spent so much time creating deep, complex characters that that final story detail escaped him.

The whole artists/writers storyline was building up to the giant psychic squid, but even so, it's almost like he didn't think through that bit - like he didn't put himself in the reader's place.

Of course, such is the greatness of Watchmen is that despite the ridiculous psychic squid, the work itself not diminished by it. (And of course Gibbons artwork is gorgeous) .
    In fact, what comes next was perfect, Veidt's revelation of the deception, and why they have to play along, and of course the death of Rorschach ( Jacky Earle Hayley didn't get enough credit, because Rorschach was always going to be a tough sell, but he nailed it). Moore may have faltered on the squid part, but boy the final resolutions of the characters was fantastic.
    Snyder even managed to work in Dr. Manhattan's final words of warning, albeit through Laurie's mouth.

My whole theory with the Watchmen film is that while big glowing blue penises might work on the page, they might not translate so well to the big screen.

Also, two films. It needed to be split into 2 films, finish the first film with the arrest of Rorschach. I've got the director's cut, and it is awesome, the way it should have been in the cinema - but it would have been too long, as one film.

Anyway, yeah, Snyder and Tse deserve more credit for resolving that story issue so well, and weaving it seamlessly into the rest of the story.

Final note, I never thought that a director could bring the Comedian's death to the big screen in a convincing and meaningful sequence (you almost feel sorry for him, despite the fact that he's such a bastard). Big ups to Snyder for what was certainly the most brutal and enjoyable fight scene of 2009.

qui custodiet ipsos custodes ?

19. Zarex

Zarex Well-Known Member

Batman Forever

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  20. DACrowe

DACrowe Well-Known Member

UNDERRATED IN GENERAL:

-Kick-Ass (kind of brilliant)
    -Watchmen
    -A History of Violence
    -Sin City

UNDERRATED BY FAN COMMUNITY:

-The Dark Knight Rises
    -V For Vendetta

The fact that fans mostly complain about those last two is still so very strange.

21. TX85

TX85 Well-Known Member

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Trilogy
    The Phantom
    The Rocketeer
    The Shadow
    Batman Forever
    Blade Trilogy
    Spawn
    Daredevil: Director's Cut
    Fantastic Four 1&2
    Sin City
    Constantine
    Watchmen and especially Director's Cut
    Green Lantern
    Man of Steel

22. Doc Ock

Doc Ock The Spider-Totem Awakens

I guess Batman Forever is really underrated, I've come to appreciate it more over the years. Val Kilmer was a excellent Bruce Wayne.

People complain about V for Vendetta?! That movie is just so gooooood!

23. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

Batman Forever is kinda underrated. I think it gets lumped with B&R unfairly. It's not a great film though.

Watchmen for sure. Love the way the story was structured. Dr M's piece was fantastic film making.

24. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

Batman Forever is a piece of crap. I kind of dislike it even more than Batman & Robin because it could have been much better than it was, whereas there was no saving B&R other than as an unintentional comedy. With Forever there are bits and pieces of depth here and there that don't go anywhere and are inconsistent with the tone of the rest of the movie. If only those elements had been in the forefront.

25. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

As a whole:
    Spider-Man 3
    Hulk

In the fanbase:

Spider-Man 3
    Iron Man 3
    Hulk
    Batman: Year One
    The Dark Knight Rises