Underrated Films: Your Opinion

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by spider-neil, Nov 11, 2010.

1. gwynplaine

gwynplaine L'homme qui rit.

Top Secret.

2. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I wish I could say I find TOP SECRET funny from start to finish, but I just don't. There are some great gags in there, but.... It's no AIRPLANE/AIRPLANE II or NAKED GUN.

Here is one of my all time favorites and I would not be averse to a new version being filmed. LADYHAWKE. Great costuming and production design. Hauer, Broderick, Leo M. and a Michelle at her most stunning. Plus Doc Ock is in it too. I could see how the score might turn some people off today, but I liked it. And the fight between Nevah and the Captain of the guard at the end is just great. Real down and dirty. I don't see it mentioned too often when people's favorite fantasy films come up, but I think it's a cut above a lot of the other 80's sword and sorcery films.

3. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

My mom loves Ladyhawke.

Top Secret has some absolutely hilarious, visually inventive gags, but it's not consistently funny like Naked Gun (which I think is one of the most hilarious movies ever made).

I also think Rat Race is hilarious, which I never hear much about.

4. Brain Damage

Brain Damage Everything Under the Sun

I love this one.
    It's like a Looney Tunes cartoon in live action.

5. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I absolutely love Top Secret!. I thought it was well-regarded.
    By the time The Naked Gun was turned into a movie, the trio of directors had enough experience to overcome some of the issues from their first movies, including Top Secret, which I think it may have some pace problems, because the jokes are not only some of their best, but the way they created a plot with so different thematic elements is hilarious.

I also like the way they make parodies and you don't need to know the reference to understand the joke. They make fun of the genres.

6. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Some of Top Secret's visual gags are genius.

7. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

When they're arriving and then leaving the station, I can't stop laughing during that whole sequence, right until the Pac-Man joke. So many good things.

8. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I think RAT RACE is sooo underated as a comedy. Such a great cast. It's a modern day IT'S A MAD, MAD, WORLD.

Has anyone here seen THE ASSIGNMENT, with Aiden Quinn, Donald Sutherland and Ben Kingsley? It's a great action film that shows that low budget does not HAVE to equal low quality. I implore everyone to seek it out . Kick ass little movie.

9. gwynplaine

"Murder By Death." (Better than "Clue.")

10. GremlinZilla89

GremlinZilla89 Well-Known Member

Do you people know what underrated is, lol :yay:? Not to sound like a dick but these movies are ones that are either considered classics or have been well received by critics that people are listing as underrated:

Batman Begins, Glenn Gary Glenn Ross, O Brothers Where Art Thou, Predator, Donnie Brasco, Falling Down, Pi, Letters From Iwo Jima, Paths of Glory, Natural Born Killers, The Exorcist, Kill Bill, Rocky Balboa, Sweeney Todd, Munich, Rope, Big Fish, Ed Wood, Moulan Rouge, Big Trouble In Little China, Hellboy 1&2, Unbreakable, Road to Perdition, A Simple Plan, The Crow, Dark City, Blade Runner, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, Tron, The Iron Giant, Creepshow, True Romance, Blow Out,Tropic Thunder, Drag Me To Hell, Trick r' Treat, Fight Club, Highlander....

Again, all these are either considered classics or cult classics by critics/audiences or just well reviewed or have caught on like wildfire after a lackluster first appearance. Hell, a few of them are considered some of the best movies ever. That doesn't really make them underrated if you ask me. To me an underrated movie is a movie that was not well received by critics and audiences but you liked anyway.

11. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

The Majestic.

12. gwynplaine

Escape from LA.

13. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

Definitely

I also think Legend of Zorro is underrated, now that I finally saw it

14. GENERAL RAAM582

GENERAL RAAM582 A Rebellion Built on Hope

Van Helsing
    Punisher: War Zone

15. MrMaooz

MrMaooz Well-Known Member

Collateral

16. Assassin32

Assassin32 Or: Rōnin Iscariot

Good man. Most posters just list awful comic-book films that they like in this thread. Your list is solid.

17. Steamteck

Steamteck Well-Known Member

Methinks you read too much into Hulk and didn't pay enough attention to the nuances in Incredible Hulk.

18. Senator Pleasury

Senator Pleasury Well-Known Member

I have to agree. But it was clear that they were willing to make a movie as accessible to all the audiences as they could as a response to Ang Lee's movie. The bad side to this is that everything felt often rushed.

Even so, The Incredible Hulk was good, or better than many Marvel movies I've seen.

19. Rowsdower!

Rowsdower! Well-Known Member

Good mentions with Top Secret and Ladyhawke. Love both of those movies.

A guilty pleasure of mine...

Tomcats.

"THE GUY SCREWS WOMEN WHILE THEY'RE BARFING!"

20. CyclopsWasRight

CyclopsWasRight Well, he was.

DOA.

Hot women & kick ass action. Plain and simple fun

21. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

Lifeforce

22. -Arya-

-Arya- Brightest Day

The Conversation - This film is seldom ever mentioned when listing Copolla's best films. I personally thought it was great and Gene Hackman is fantastic.

23. GremlinZilla89

GremlinZilla89 Well-Known Member

Oblivion. 1000x Oblivion.

24. gwynplaine

Great movie and another too rare fantastic performance by John Cazale.
    Hackman who is also great in it turned 84 this week:yay:

25. thejon93

thejon93 Forever Haunted

Hell yeah. You, me and Patton Oswalt are in the same book. :woot: I enjoyed the hell outta War Zone and was surprised by how critically-panned it was, I thought the action sequences alone made it worth a 6/10 at least, but Ray Stevenson gives a solid performance, the cinematography was fantastic and, for working with its modest-budget cost, it looks really sharp at every moment (the film's got a really unique look that's hard to turn away from, especially when watching on Blu-ray). I'd give this film a solid 8/10, my only real problem with it was the Detective Soap character, I thought the actor did a terrible job, and sometimes the comedic bits felt a bit forced (including all the scenes with the Soap character, especially the ending). Still, that's not enough to derail the film for me and it continues to grow on me to this day (the director, Lexi Alexander, also made Green Street Hooligans which is a really gritty and intense film, I'd like to see her try her hand at another R-rated comic-book film in the future because she really did do a great job with this film IMO, all she needed was a more coherent script, but even with a not-so-good one she still made it work well in the end).