United 93 getting pretty good reviews

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
93 % over at Rotten Tomatoes.

I dunno, I take this with a grain of salt...as this movie won't be judged on its merits. Critics who are trashing it are saying things like "Its too soon", critics who are praising it are talking about how it is a respectful tribute. But, I may see it now.

i'll need to see this, it does look like its going to be really good and very emotional.

isnt there also a 9/11 movie coming out in theaters as well?? whats it called exactly??

I think finnaly it will get 86%. But it still looks good.

I thought it will be next stupid movie about terrorists as bad people. But as I can understand, I am wrong.

whats the other one called though? its with nicolas Cage or somthing, and hes one of the firefighters when the twin towers got hit. It coming out soon, i don't know when, i'll look it up

I'm going to see this, because it looks interesting.

Darth Elektra said:
Thats the one I can't wait for.

yea me too, i wonder which ones going to be better, or gets the better reviews. out of these two 9/11 films

I think the World Trade Center film will get more attention and better reviews. Plus Cage is in it and Oliver Stone is directing.

not surprised its getting good reviews.....it has a great director, looks great, and everything i've read about the production sounds good.

Motown Marvel said:
not surprised its getting good reviews.....it has a great director, looks great, and everything i've read about the production sounds good.

One thing that really bothers me about it is that they felt the need to give the terrorists bombs.

These great reviews make me even sadder that Greengrass isn´t doing Watchmen no more... sigh.

People argue whether it´s too early for this... Man, Casablanca was made in the middle of WWII...

I'm not surprised, it looks like it was really well done. I just read a great article about it in Entertainment Weekly as well as one in my local paper. They both said it was done with respect to the families (who were heavily involved) as well as to the heroes that were on the plane.

With a $15m dollar budget, I'm sure it will do fine - it's a part of history that would be told by film at some point, so why not now?

What about box office, I think United 93 will make about $55-65m domesticly and $45-55m in overseas.

Domestically I have two theories, and the one I'm leaning towards now is decent opener and really good legs. Why? Controversy, same thing with the Passion. People love controversy and they love seeing controversial things. The amount of press this thing is getting is quite a bit, so I'm thinking it could make somewhere near 90-100 mil range. As for Overseas that's a completely different ball-game and wouldn't even know how to come up with a decent answer, also I don't know how strong overseas feels.

ultimatefan said:
People argue whether it´s too early for this... Man, Casablanca was made in the middle of WWII...

Yeah, but thjat was different. Casablanca was propoganda, plain and simple. And it wasn't about an actual event. This is.

I don't see it doing to well oversees. Especially considering how badly the US has treated foreign countries as of late, I really don't think foreigners will want to see an "America is better than everyone else" movie.

Matt said:
One thing that really bothers me about it is that they felt the need to give the terrorists bombs.

Yeah for some reason, I cant get over that. If youre going to do it, do it accurately. Especially they have those 80's Arnold movies type bombs strapped on them, I find it ridiculous.

Milkman95 said:
I'm not surprised, it looks like it was really well done. I just read a great article about it in Entertainment Weekly as well as one in my local paper. They both said it was done with respect to the families (who were heavily involved) as well as to the heroes that were on the plane.

With a $15m dollar budget, I'm sure it will do fine - it's a part of history that would be told by film at some point, so why not now?

While I agree with everything here, im not too quick to label them heroes. Call me insensitive or an ass. While is painfully obvious they attempted to rush the cockpit, im still not fully convinved that this plane wasnt shot down.

Darthphere said:
While I agree with everything here, im not too quick to label them heroes. Call me insensitive or an ass. While is painfully obvious they attempted to rush the cockpit, im still not fully convinved that this plane wasnt shot down.

I think the plane was shot down as well, especially after Donald Rumsfeld's comments on it.

Darthphere said:
Yeah for some reason, I cant get over that. If youre going to do it, do it accurately. Especially they have those 80's Arnold movies type bombs strapped on them, I find it ridiculous.

Yea. Seriously, how would that get past airport security?

Darth Elektra said:
I think the World Trade Center film will get more attention and better reviews. Plus Cage is in it and Oliver Stone is directing.

So what? The last movie Oliver Stone released was crap and bombed in the US.

Stone isn't so good director. I loved only one his movie, Born on 4th July with Cruise.

But I hate others, Alexander was really bad movie.

And I have doubts about WTC film.

Matt said:
Yea. Seriously, how would that get past airport security?

They couldnt, even Pre-9/11 Airport security would not have been that lax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"