The Winter Soldier Update the outfit for next solo film

it looks pretty cool
But I would hate to be an artist working on a Cap title
It's gotta add so much time to drawing a book getting those things perfect

I've tried to draw it with the hexagons and said f*** it, I'm going with scales

Last edited:
Still don't understand why they didn't go with the original modern-day concept:

CaptainAmericaConcept-Double.jpg

Surely that would have been a more logical transition from the WWII suit?

Still don't understand why they didn't go with the original modern-day concept:

CaptainAmericaConcept-Double.jpg

Surely that would have been a more logical transition from the WWII suit?
Don't think that was ever supposed to be his modern day suit. It's just a sleeker looking version of the WWII suit. I do love the helmet and head/neck area on this suit though.

yeah that was art from TFA

it just looks more plasticky because of the computer render

Whatever they do, I hope they will change his costume for the sequel; I've never really warmed up to the Halloween costume-esque look of Cap's outfit in The Avengers, and that helmet was especially underwhelming. Maybe he should just go back to his WWII costume in the second movie if they aren't going to improve the design.

Last edited:
It makes a tremendous amount of sense to Cap to be dressed in his comic-book styled suit when leading others into battle. He is meant to be a symbol of inspiration, and was to the Howling Commandos in TFA and to the members of SHIELD (Coulson in particular) in the Avengers.

However, it doesn't make a bit of sense for Cap to don his highly stylized battle suit when on a secret-agent mission, and could very likely make him look silly. As in TFA, we'll likely see Cap in a variety of outfits - Civilian garb as in the concept art, a super-soldier type SHIELD outfit, and the full red, white and blue costume for the final battle.
I'm not saying he can't wear civilian outfits, or even that he can't don a super-soldier sort of costume at some point in the film.
I'm saying it's a Captain America movie, therefore we use the Captain America costume. Front and center. Don't leave it just for the final battle - that just seems cheap.

Not a lot of action in this thread about the new suit. It actually looks much like the "modern TFA" suit. I'm excited. looks more combat ready than The Avengers and that helmet everyone adored is back. :)

Not a lot of action in this thread about the new suit. It actually looks much like the "modern TFA" suit. I'm excited. looks more combat ready than The Avengers and that helmet everyone adored is back. :)
Where have you seen the new suit?

If you're talking about this:
tumblr_mkn6ysNCNV1ro55weo1_500.gif

It's not new. This is the exact suit from WWII, and I doubt he's going to be wearing it (In modern time anyway. He'll probably have some new flashback scenes though)

If you're talking about this:
p1uG3kf.jpg

You can barely see any details. The details you can see pretty much look like his Avengers suit.

Last edited:
cap's underwhelming suit in the avengers had a hidden bonus: when he inevitably lost his helmet (which is what happens in a lot of movies, so as to showcase the actor underneath) he looked better.

that said, i am hoping for a redesign for this new film.

Yeah I thought it was kinda sad that in the commentary, Joss said something during the bank scene to the effect of:
'This scene also has the benefit of getting rid of his cowl'
So even on set, Whedon knew it didn't look too awesome, unfortunate

I don't think thats what Whedon meant with the commentary. The reason they got rid of the cowl was so you could see the actors face. Even if in the next movie the cowl is great, it's still coming off at some point.

Yeah I thought it was kinda sad that in the commentary, Joss said something during the bank scene to the effect of:
'This scene also has the benefit of getting rid of his cowl'
So even on set, Whedon knew it didn't look too awesome, unfortunate

I'm not sure cowls can be pulled off effectively in live action. Batman has the benefit of operating at night, but even he looked goofy during the Joker interrogation scene. Cap's detached helmet with "eye protection" in TFA was a close enough interpretation of his comic book look that there really was no need to add the neck fabric.

yeah the neck fabric and the covered ears killed the cowl in Avengers
but I still hate the chinstrap from TFA, so I'm a no on that one too

and for the record, I didn't find Bats goofy looking at all in the interrogation scene

yeah the neck fabric and the covered ears killed the cowl in Avengers
but I still hate the chinstrap from TFA, so I'm a no on that one too
This would be my perfect cowl/helmet for Cap:
28h3bxx.png

It covers the neck and exposes the chin like The Avengers suit, but the neck area is also a lot cleaner. The ears are still covered, but it doesn't bulge out. And the overall aesthetics are just plain pleasing to the eye.

I'd keep the body of The Avengers suit relatively the same. I'd tweak the colors a tiny bit to give them a darker tint. The suit could also use a little texture. Add the back star and complete the stripes all the way around to the back. I also lkke the blue belt, I'd just make it slightly darker than the blue of the rest of the suit.

Last edited:
Here is something that I quickly worked up.
Concept.jpg

Its basically a mash up of both suits. I kept the Avengers suit as the main suit, but I added in elements of his old TFA suit (boots, his shoulder pads, his original helmet). I changed the color of his belt because blue was stupid, and I made the grey just a tad darker on his shoulders, and chin strap. I also added a kinda faux scale camo pattern to his chest area. I was basically thinking they should keep the idea they had for the cowl, except go back to the strapped helmet, I unno I think it just defines his face better. What do you guys think? I tried making this as practical/tactical and form fitting/comic inspired as I could.

This Looks really close to the MARVEL NOW look. Really Nice.

well, I personally would love to see something like this:

andyparkart-the-avengers-captain-america.jpg

for those who don't know, it's concept art from The Avengers. Not sure why they chose the lamer version, but anyway, they could update it to something like this

Both the last two images look pretty good. Though I'd maybe get rid of the stars on the shoulders in the first one. I think the dark blue straps around the shoulders also break up the upper body too much. Maybe have it all the same kind blue.

The second one could do without those exposed ears which make it look silly and it's missing the wings painted on the side of the helmet. Could maybe do with some more red stripes on the abs, but overall it's a great concept.

Lol one thing is for sure... If the suit doesn't get redesigned the film will probably fail.

I love the Avengers, but every time I see Cap, he just looks like his in Cosplay. That suit has to be one of the worst designed superhero suits to ever make it to the big screen.

I love the Avengers, but every time I see Cap, he just looks like his in Cosplay. That suit has to be one of the worst designed superhero suits to ever make it to the big screen.

The suit was great except for the helmet (which looked alright in some scenes, and goofy in others).

Last edited:
Seriously, if they'd gone with the original cowl (or a proper helmet like in TFA) I doubt we'd be hearing any complaints about The Avengers suit whatsoever. It's just the plasticity/rubbery appearance of the helmet together with the untidy fabric area around the neck which makes it look strange:

helmet.jpg

For me it's just the neck fabric and the ears that messed it up

I prefer that the Avengers helmet fit snugger to his head
and also, once again, I hate that f****** chinstrap

but they should also dirty up the helmet a bit, it looks better when it's beat up

Seriously, if they'd gone with the original cowl (or a proper helmet like in TFA) I doubt we'd be hearing any complaints about The Avengers suit whatsoever. It's just the plasticity/rubbery appearance of the helmet together with the untidy fabric area around the neck which makes it look strange:

helmet.jpg

I agree, the worst part of his Avengers suit is the cowl. If they would've used the FA helmet, maybe updating the leather color, it would have been better. The first helmet would even allow him to put it on or take it off as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"