Update the outfit for next solo film

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Hypestyle, Mar 29, 2012.

1. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Yeah pretty much.

2. third3ye

third3ye Well-Known Member

+1

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Avengers suit isn't a lost cause, just needs significant updates to make it look more FUNCTIONAL. They can keep the gloves and boots, even the cowl, but the rest of it needs some overhauling. And he needs a star on his back that doesn't look cheesefest.

3. Young Superman

Young Superman The Last Son of Krypton

In my opinion, the Avengers Captain America Costume is near perfect.

4. TheLongestDay

TheLongestDay "FOR ASGARD!!!"

It looked GREAT in the movie.

I think they will tweak it for the sequel anyhow,but I dont think a completely new suit is necessary.

5. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I agree. I never once thought it looked bad on film. To me it's the TFA costume all over again, people were nitpicking up until they saw the movie. Though saying that I'd still expect them to possibly tweak it for Cap 2.

6. Avenger

Avenger Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

Regardless of how the costume looked in TA, I'm certain Cap will have at least one new variation in his next solo film simply because of merchandising. New costumes = new toys.

7. B

B [insert witty comment]

Personally the only thing I didn't like about The Avengers outfit was the helmet/mask/headpiece. For some reason it just looked a little odd around the ear area in comparison to TFA.

TFA outfit also looked like it was made for a purpose, like a soldiers uniform. They kinda abandoned that for The Avengers, I like to see them maybe take that uniform and tweak it slightly to somewhat look a little more like the military would wear today in terms of fabric, pockets, etc.

8. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

Cap's outfit sort of looked like it was made from the same material as the jumpsuits that SHIELD agents were wearing on the Helicarrier. I hope that in future movies they make it appear more hi-tech/modern while keeping the functionality he showed in The Avengers versus TFA.

9. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

They should give him this with a helmet

[​IMG]

10. wampa1

wampa1 Well-Known Member

The Avengers outfit worked fine in motion. The only contentious element was the helmet which made his head look too large.

However, I imagine their will be significant tweaks to the costume, purely for marketing in terms of new toys they can sell.

11. The Sarge

The Sarge Greatest DP ever

The helmet isn't believable as proper head protection- it makes me wonder why it's even there. just give up and give him a mask, or give him some proper protective headgear.
    And the outfit is out of style- this was thought up back in the 40's, and style has changed considerably since. The way the strips are layed out on his belly is just lame. If they were moved to extend to his shoulders, maybe in two sets, that would be way more modern, way more cool.
    And the white arms thing is clearly something they're already struggling with, lets just cut that out all together.
    Wait, I found something fitting all these qualifications.
    [​IMG]

YES! A believably functional helmet, and an updated costume that really knows style, with tight pants that show off his masculinity! And hey! They even updated his shield!

. . . .

12. The Sage

The Sage The World's Finest

The Avengers costume looked great. I can see some tweaks being made to the cowl, per Cap's request since

It did get torn off in combat. He could want something with better protection, at least around the neck.

I don't know if anyone saw this, but RealIrOnMaN posted some of the concept art for Cap's costume from the Art of Marvel's The Avengers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I like some of those alternate designs a lot. I think Chris Evans just needs to take some more steroids :D .

14. Webfoot Hero

If anything, they need to address the utility belt with multiple pockets when he used nothing but his shield and his body to fight in TA. I could understand it in TFA since he was firing guns and probably carried ammo in the pockets, but on the TA uniform, it served no practical purpose except to kind of separate the top and bottom halves of the uniform.

15. Avenger

Avenger Earth's Mightiest Fanboy

I imagine he carries various gear in those pouches that he would use on missions. He just didn't need any of them during the events of TA.

16. Daybreak_st

Daybreak_st Old-School Comic Cool

You make some very, very valid points, I read the same interview with Meinerding, and for all the Joss got right in this film I think he made a mistake with Cap's costume. I didn't hate it but it was nothing more than serviceable. The design works fine without the helmet. Anytime he was seen without he looked good, but when he wore it, he just looked off. Not impressive, not iconic, only serviceable. I think we want more than serviceable for the next film.

Love the points you made about how the extra bulk in the TFA costume worked so well, along with the mask. It gave him a little more "presence" imho, and that helps when standing next to your fellow heroes. I too hope they figure out how best to incorporate the "bulk" or "mass" that was present in the TFA costume but with the modernization for the TA costume. Primarily they need to improve the helmet.

17. cryptic name

cryptic name No Limits

I say keep the Avengers uniform with a few small tweaks and just redo the cowl. Go with the exposed ears for sure.

18. third3ye

third3ye Well-Known Member

I was pretty stoked when I saw how a simple thigh holster can improve the TA suit on that concept art. Some extra padding in the upper torso with a high tech body armor look, incorporate a star on the back, thigh holster, redesign the pouches, lose the thigh zippers, and make some improvements on the helmet/cowl, and the new Cap suit would look fantastic and still be based on the Avengers outfit.

I was pretty disappointed in the early concepts that the design team came up with in the art book, thought we'd see a really cool modern take on the TFA suit but none of those really wowed me.

19. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

They should simplify the outfit in Captain America 2 like remove the small pockets around his waist and I hope the pants doesn't look like it was like jeans or it was like made from rubber.

20. storyteller

storyteller Well-Known Member

The suit is not designed to be stealthy or look like it belongs in the field. It never has and never should. It's a costume that is a very strong symbol. It will always look out of place until Cap smashed a guys face in.

I am against exposing the ears because honestly exposed ears are pretty impractical. May as well not wear the helmet at that point. I kinda want the belt to be brown or some form of dark red because the blue just seems too much.

TFA suit is just puffy and makes him look bigger. I think he needs to be streamlined.

I think there is also a fine line between Steve Rogers Super Soldier and then Batman. The suit can't be too much because then it's the suit that seems powerful and not Rogers.

I liked the suit in Avengers. I am still iffy about the shoulders silver things because you don't see silver anywhere else. Maybe they just need to connect and work around kinda like TFA costume.

21. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

Just use the designed used in The Avengers and, like many people have said, add some things to the back, upgrade the helmet and maybe make some other subtle changes. Anyone who wants them to use the TFA uniform is out of their mind.

22. Radioactive1980

Radioactive1980 Well-Known Member

Save the cowl, TA suit was awesome.
    Improvements I'd like to see in CA2-

-EXPOSED EARS!!!/ Re-shaped cowl
    -Back star/stripes
    -It would be really cool to see the chain mail / lizard scales cover the torso. They could explain it saying if offers better armour.
    It would also give a new suit a very distinct look over it's predecessors.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  23. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

I'd like to see Chris bulk up a little more if possible. I believe his build would go a long way in making the suit that much better.

24. Webfoot Hero

His chest and arms are fine; it's just his legs that need some building up since they look so skinny compared to the the rest of his body.

25. Havok83

Havok83 Well-Known Member

yeah he did look scrawny in comparison to his solo