Update the outfit for next solo film

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by Hypestyle, Mar 29, 2012.

1. scifiwolf

scifiwolf Well-Known Member

I'm just not a fan of the top of the comic costume. Always looked like ridiculous feathers to me. I wouldn't mind mostly subtle tweaks. The only redesign I want is in the cowl. Above the brow it's to bulbous. It also makes his facial structure disappear into baby cheeks. Other than those two issues of fit-and-finish, I like it.

EDIT: Just want to clarify that I respect the comic costume, and know that it can be somewhat faithfully translated to film. It's just gotta be the right material/pattern/texture. Looking at the chainmail effect in the Man of Steel suit, however, I don't know how to make a modern, contemporary tactical suit with chain mail as a primary texture. It works in the Dark Knight suit because it's a base fabric with more modern armor over top. Again, I think it can be pulled off, but there's a reason I don't work as a designer or something. Just have no idea how to pull that off.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  2. Slipeor

Slipeor Well-Known Member

I loved the TFA costume and thought it would have worked for Avengers. The actual Avengers costume was too form fitting and the helmet was terrible. Ear holes are needed (the concept art pics with ear holes were way better then what they went with). So for the next Cap movie, bulk up the costume, shrink the helmet and open up the ears. Chainmail might be neat, but too outdated in this kevlar age.

3. chromehorn

chromehorn Member

Im not a life long comic book reader so Im no expert but I like this. No helmet or cowl needed in my opinion.

4. the great thor

the great thor Well-Known Member

exactly right. man i hated that oufit in avengers, it look so dumb in the world they were in. i cant believe steve would go out there in that. i hope if/when they change the outfit it will be a running joke in there that steve being new to everything didnt feel right telling coulson he wasnt feeling that outfit but wore it out if respect for him, now that he is gone and cap has got his footing in this new world, he will speak up and request a new outfit. by the way i loved his look in tfa, they should go with the darker colors and not make it so comic book and silly.

5. JAK®

JAK® Upstart

It should have looked more like this;

[​IMG]

6. Optimus27932

Optimus27932 Well-Known Member

I think we have a winner.Look nice and could pass in a real world scenario.

7. marcvader

marcvader Lurker #1

Phuck a real world scenario.

8. Webfoot Hero

Webfoot Hero West Coaster

That promo shot is definitely what they should have gone with.

9. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Well-Known Mutant

yeah me too! But without the belt. I hope they add the scaly texture in the next movie.

10. ironmaidenrules

ironmaidenrules Well-Known Member

He might keep the costume out of respect to Coulson

11. The Guard

The Guard Well-Known Member

That is what they went with. It was just horribly executed, and not a picture.

12. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

yeah. except the cowl. that was totally different.
    oh and the stripes seem to go all the way around

13. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

What's wrong with the belt?

14. PSYLENTGuardian

PSYLENTGuardian El Pollos Hermano

I don't think Coulson really would've cared so much about the details of the costume as long as it looked like the good ol' red-and-blue and it gave Steve protection in battle. The world just needs a little old-fashioned.

15. wampa1

wampa1 Well-Known Member

The only problem with The Avengers costume was the cowl. Without, it looked pretty rad:

[​IMG]

I'd just sort out the helmet, loosen the trousers so that they're a big baggier (a'la First Avenger) to prevent the outfit looking top heavy and maybe add some padding if Evans is reluctant / can't reach his TFA physique.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  16. TikkiEXX

TikkiEXX Well-Known Member

ya know i wasnt sure about the Avengers costume until i actually saw the movie. looked awesome to me on screen. not perfect but way better than in the pics. didnt bother me at all really. but they will probably update it if for no other reason than merchandising. just lose the damn zippers and maybe tweak the helmet. and i SO dont think Coulson is dead. think it was a fakeout to get the team together. anyways hes actually in the comics now as Nick Fury Jrs right hand man(who looks exactly like Sam Jackson Fury) oh dont expect to see Cap in the super soldier outfit. Nick Fury Jrs been wearing it in the comics. hes the new director of SHIELD

17. Joeyjojo72

Joeyjojo72 Well-Known Member

Give him a more practical, modular, and darker costume. Like his FA outfit, but with all modern materials.

TA costume really grew on me, but it wasnt great imo. Personally, I hope he has more than one suit for this movie depending on the mission/situation. Now that everyone knows who he is, no need to keep him in the same duds for the whole movie.

The helmet is tricky, but necessary. You cant protect his whole body and leave the most important part (his head) completely exposed.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  18. Quasimod0

Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

The avengers costume really needed something on the back. I don't know why on earth it didnt

19. Hypestyle

Hypestyle Well-Known Member

it needs a star on the back.
    I hope his ears are covered.
    The less shoelaces the better.
    There should be room for a combat knife.

20. bunk

bunk superhero fan

I think they need to take a good long look at the cowl and figure that thing out. From the neck down, it's just minor stuff. I think it would be cool if he had something more low key though.

21. herolee10

herolee10 No More Miracles

What about something like these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. TikkiEXX

TikkiEXX Well-Known Member

dude i saw that earlier today. would not be surprised to see his movie costume look a lot like it. kinda cool that they wanted to get the chainmail look back in his costume. heard its a ***** to draw though. even Joe Q. said he had trouble drawing it. would be almost perfect for the big screen though

23. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

Yeahh, I draw Cap pictures all the time, and the scales were bad enough

I will never attempt to draw that abomination, the hexagon's alone are just a tremendous pain in the a**
    That and it's just way too military looking

24. peterparker0077

peterparker0077 Well-Known Member

I personally do not like those latest cap drawings... it seems they are forgetting he wears his suit as symbol of America. That symbol image seems to be getting brushed aside for a more military look more and more, instead of being integrated together, like the TFA and Avengers film suit did a pretty good job of doing. I also think most people forget that Caps original "chain mail" was micro duralumin scales. The scales were under his top shirt, not on top.

25. Smashlilman

Smashlilman Ouch!!!!

Or something like this with prodruding mask wings. If he can't bulk up to the same size he was in CA:TFA then they need to use a little movie magic to make him look a little more bulkier.
    [​IMG]