The Winter Soldier Update the outfit for next solo film

Yeah, I'm sorry, but Black Widow's costume could never be too tight.

The costume was TOO TIGHT. Same with Black Widow. The costumes offered no movement and no definition to the muscles Evans has.

You think so? I think both Cap and Widow had less tight costumes than previously, Widow's noticeably so. I think Evans has even said that the Avengers costume provided a lot of movement that was lacking in the First Avenger costume.

Personally, I don't have a problem with the Avengers suit, removing the cowl and dirtying it up eliminated pretty much all the (minor) gripes I had with it.

Cap's suit in The Avengers was perfect except for the helmet which got changed from the original cowl design during (or was it just before?) the shooting of the movie. I'm not against another update to the whole suit (both have been great so far), but they need to make absolutely sure that the design works (practically speaking) in pre-production, so that if it doesn't they have time to fix it.

Last edited:
I also loved Cap's suit for the Avengers except for the helmet. I actually preferred the look after Cap lost his helmet and I usually hate when the characters lose their masks/helmets in these movies. There was just something off about the look of that helmet.

Update that and I'm cool with the look from the Avengers.

So, I got a chance to look at the first avenger suit close up... it had massive padding in those shoulder pieces... the avengers suit I believe had a little padding in the shoulders, but no were near what the TFA suit had due to the nature of the design. Just an FYI to think about when comparing the two looks.

I loved everything about the Avengers suit. I hope they keep an almost identical look.

You think so? I think both Cap and Widow had less tight costumes than previously, Widow's noticeably so. I think Evans has even said that the Avengers costume provided a lot of movement that was lacking in the First Avenger costume.

I think Scarlett's costume was less tight in Avengers than in IM2. Cap's Avengers costume looked way more form-fitting than the one in TFA though. Maybe the Avengers costume allowed for a greater range of motion due to it being made of a stretchier material and also the lack of heavy padding?

tumblr_m68m7udknl1qe0fxmo1_250.png
tumblr_m8hkldueZL1r261nxo1_250.jpg

I think Scarlett's costume was less tight in Avengers than in IM2. Cap's Avengers costume looked way more form-fitting than the one in TFA though. Maybe the Avengers costume allowed for a greater range of motion due to it being made of a stretchier material and also the lack of heavy padding?

tumblr_m68m7udknl1qe0fxmo1_250.png
tumblr_m8hkldueZL1r261nxo1_250.jpg
Chris Evans said he liked the Avengers suit since it allowed much greater movement and he could do more of his own stunts. Only part he didn't like was the cowl since it was more integrated into the suit and not a removable helmet like on TFA suit.

Chris Evans said he liked the Avengers suit since it allowed much greater movement and he could do more of his own stunts. Only part he didn't like was the cowl since it was more integrated into the suit and not a removable helmet like on TFA suit.

Yeah, I get that. I wasn't disputing that Evans liked the Avengers suit better. I was just pointing out that the Avengers suit is more form-fitting than the previous suit.

The only thing about the Avengers that really bugged me was it was sometimes childish in tone and Captain America's helmet looked AWFUL. Definitely update the costume, the concept designs in that book for the Avengers cap costume could be a good starting point but I might like to see a whole new direction in his costume. Same with Thor. This is an opportunity to totally change the look of Cap and Thors costumes just like Iron Man has done countless times

I loved his costume in TFA, really well designed and fit in with the time period, was not a fan of the Avengers one, the cowl just does not look right, the rest of the costume isnt too bad but it needs a redesign for the modern Cap.

The only thing about the Avengers that really bugged me was it was sometimes childish in tone and Captain America's helmet looked AWFUL. Definitely update the costume, the concept designs in that book for the Avengers cap costume could be a good starting point but I might like to see a whole new direction in his costume. Same with Thor. This is an opportunity to totally change the look of Cap and Thors costumes just like Iron Man has done countless times

Wait, what's wrong with Thor's costume? I think it looks AMAZING. I've seen the original Thor costume in person and the detail and direction is absolutely stunning. I'm inclined to believe they won't change it much for Thor 2, as they didn't change much of it between Thor and Avengers... maybe a slight color change to go with the darker theme of Thor 2.

As for the Cap costume, I've said this a while ago on SHH - find ways to make the Avengers Cap costume more tactical looking (armor components, drop leg holster, etc.), incorporate a star in the back, re-design the cowl, and you're good to go. Some of the Marvel NOW concept designs could work in pieces in conjunction with the Avengers movie suit and look much better for Cap 2.

I'm a huge fan of the TFA suit, something in that direction but more modern looking gets my vote.

A big thing I think is that the back of the costume is so damn plain. On camera it looks just like a big blue blotch of cloth. Put some straps and the damn star on the back. The suit needs to look interesting at all angles. I think adapting the shoulder pads from the first Avenger suit would be awesome. It's important to remember that Caps costume is about the show. Thor wears his armor all the time. It's his street clothes. Cap wears a symbol for everyone to see. Nothing is going to change the fact that he looks like a smurf.

Though I don't did the silver on the shoulders. Just give him back the Ultimate comics shoulder pads. Let that stupid scale patter stay in the comics. Maybe another thing is that need to pop out the texture more. The close up shots are pretty awesome. And they could throw a little more white in there. The mask I am pretty cool with actually. Maybe they may take a cue from the Bucky Captain America costume and make the mask cover more of the face. But then you may be removing too much of the actor. Finally those pockets, just don't work in that color or material. I think they should either be red or brown.

Overall the suit for me worked in Avengers. It just needs a few alterations.

Also folks understand what steroids do. They only work if you push yourself and do the work. Also the camera is a very nifty thing. It tends to make people look much larger then they do in real life. Hell the costume designs design the costume to make people look bigger. They make the actors wear looser or tighter clothing to give the illusion of size. Hardy as Bane was much smaller in real life then in the film. Camera angles and puffy clothing made him seem huge.

storyteller, I'm kidding about the steroids stuff.

I think they should give him a helmet and leave it as is ...it looks better on film then from a photo, but if they do change I'd love for it to be addressed in the film, sorta in the Avengers with Coulson and Rogers in the plane

Really, if they just pad the Avengers suit (Keep in mind, the First Avengers costume was padded) and change the helmet a bit, he'd look fine.

I agree. My main complaint with the Avengers suit was the cowl. Get rid of the cowl and bring back the style of helmet used in TFA and I'd have no problems with the way it looks.

The costume was TOO TIGHT. Same with Black Widow. The costumes offered no movement and no definition to the muscles Evans has. Besides, they usually put them in a body suit, don't they?

Evans said in interviews that the Avengers costume gave him more freedom of movement and was easier to do stunts in than the bulkier CA:TFA suit. He preferred it because of the decreased bulk and the way it allowed for fluid motion.

As for it being too tight, it definitely wasn't from my perspective. It showed off every muscle, every curve of Evans' body to perfection, from his sculpted chest to those wonderful thighs. The first time I saw that suit in all its glory I lost my train of thought for about five minutes. It was full of win and Chris Evans' ass. Hopefully the next suit will be just as tight. :awesome:

Last edited:
They could just fix the cowl and go forward with what they have. I'd be more than pleased with that.

They need to update the back of Cap's suit for the sequel. The Avengers costume is so bland. Add a star and some stripes.

Here is something that I quickly worked up.
Concept.jpg

Its basically a mash up of both suits. I kept the Avengers suit as the main suit, but I added in elements of his old TFA suit (boots, his shoulder pads, his original helmet). I changed the color of his belt because blue was stupid, and I made the grey just a tad darker on his shoulders, and chin strap. I also added a kinda faux scale camo pattern to his chest area. I was basically thinking they should keep the idea they had for the cowl, except go back to the strapped helmet, I unno I think it just defines his face better. What do you guys think? I tried making this as practical/tactical and form fitting/comic inspired as I could.

Last edited:
Here is something that I quickly worked up.
Concept.jpg

Its basically a mash up of both suits. I kept the Avengers suit as the main suit, but I added in elements of his old TFA suit (boots, his shoulder pads, his original helmet). I changed the color of his belt because blue was stupid, and I made the grey just a tad darker on his shoulders, and chin strap. I also added a kinda faux scale camo pattern to his chest area. I was basically thinking they should keep the idea they had for the cowl, except go back to the strapped helmet, I unno I think it just defines his face better. What do you guys think? I tried making this as practical/tactical and form fitting/comic inspired as I could.
I like it. Definitely not a bad mash up of the the 2 CA movie uniforms.

protect his ears! (and no salinger plastic ears!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"