The Amazing Spider-Man *Update* Your Rating for TASM

Ah okay wasn't aware of that. They did sort of throw everything at us in SM1!

Indeed agree! :D

Here is a quote from the article I gave a link to about SM1:

http://fenskeland.blogspot.ca/2012/12/spider-movie-part-vii-serial-stand.html

Raimi's first film didn't really leave itself anywhere to go. By the end Peter had...

- Graduated high school? Check.
- Come into his own as a superhero with a competent handle on his powers? Check.
- Established a clear sense of purpose with all his priorities about responsibility in order? Check.
- Successfully faced off and defeated his first major villain in life or death battle? Check.

At that point there were only two unresolved pieces of the plot that (technically) needed to be tied up.

1. The Romantic Subplot
2. Harry Osborn's Revenge

About TASM:

LEAVING US WANTING MORE
I think that header speaks for itself don't you?

- Room for character growth in the protagonist? Check.
- The promise of an ominous figure pulling the strings from the shadows? Check.
- A mystery that connects that same 'ominous figure' to the disappearance of Peter's parents? Check.
- Foreshadowing that Gwen will die as result of being in Peter's life? Check.
- The potential for this to all tie together as part of one big arc? Check.

Whether the sequels will be able to meet our expectations remains to be seen, but one can't deny that 'The Amazing Spider-man' sets the series up with a substantially stronger foundation for the future than Raimi's 'Spider-man' ever did.

Last edited:
That's fine they explain it that way, it doesn't make the movie better. I am judging the movie, whether that pays off for the trilogy we will see. No great superhero trilogy has done that in any of their movies and it's likely for a reason. BB would have sucked had Ra's never returned in the 3rd act. X1 would have sucked if Rogue runs away from the mansion and no one sees her again. It's bad story telling.

That's fine they explain it that way, it doesn't make the movie better. I am judging the movie, whether that pays off for the trilogy we will see.

Yup.

No great superhero trilogy has done that in any of their movies and it's likely for a reason.

There is a first for everything. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean its bad.

BB would have sucked had Ra's never returned in the 3rd act. X1 would have sucked if Rogue runs away from the mansion and no one sees her again. It's bad story telling.

But Ra's was the main villain, and Rogue was a main character. Dr. Ratha was NOT. He was just a side character, one of Osborn's "henchmen" I suppose. Ratha was disposable, and even if that deleted sewer scene was in the final cut, it wouldn't have made the movie much better. I loved it, and that's that. We can just agree to disagree on the film's quality.

Ra's was introduced and the entire first act was built upon Bruce's interactions with the LoS. The entire first act of ASM is about Peter wanting to know more about his dead parents. The entire first act is all about that and actually is the reason how he gets his powers (same with Bruce). It doesn't matter if Ra's was the main villain, it matters with the main character's motivation and plot progression. Ra's coming back completes the arc that movie set and provides character development for Bruce. In ASM, literally nothing gets resolved concerning the main character. Peter doesn't find out about his parents, he doesn't find Ben's killer, and he even ends up back with the girl after a 10 minute on screen breakup. Someone will point to the eggs he brings May...he wasn't a *****er before his powers. His powers made him a *****er. We literally ended where we started.

Ra's was introduced and the entire first act was built upon Bruce's interactions with the LoS. The entire first act of ASM is about Peter wanting to know more about his dead parents. The entire first act is all about that and actually is the reason how he gets his powers (same with Bruce). It doesn't matter if Ra's was the main villain, it matters with the main character's motivation and plot progression. Ra's coming back completes the arc that movie set and provides character development for Bruce. In ASM, literally nothing gets resolved concerning the main character. Peter doesn't find out about his parents, he doesn't find Ben's killer, and he even ends up back with the girl after a 10 minute on screen breakup. Someone will point to the eggs he brings May...he wasn't a *****er before his powers. His powers made him a *****er. We literally ended where we started.

Batman Begins wasn't really setting anything up for a sequel (except for the Joker card). You have to look at TASM as Part 1 of a series. I see it as the whole trilogy is about Peter growing into Spider-Man, and learning responsibility.

As far as getting back with the girl, I just think the filmmakers didn't want to end another movie where Spider-Man walks away from the girl again. As I just said, he is still learning responsibility, which is the reason as to why he couldn't keep his promise to Captain Stacey to leave her out of it.

Last edited:
My old rating was 6/10 and it hasn't changed.After seeing it a few times,if anything,I'm sorta getting "used" to it.It's not as fun or faithful as the Raimi films.I admit most of my friends are starting to rank it a bit lower than at first.

I guess everyone has their own ranking system.I place ASM along with Superman Returns,Batman 89,etc,in the tier of films that aren't "bad" but not really my favorite interpretation of the character.

Last edited:
I think that the 2002 film and TASM are both faithful and unfaithful in different aspects of the comic books.

Also, don't forget that TASM takes a lot of elements from Ultimate Spider-Man, such as the responsibility speech (word for word).

tumblr_m6xn2ymYzY1r387e5o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
What interests YOU is another story. The parents story is important in this franchise, and obviously ties into Oscorp. Its part of what has been set up for future movies.

Lol.

I think this movie created the grounds for the new franchise very well. The sequel has so much potential.

Touche.

The parents were dropped as soon as he got powers. It seemed sloppy. I also hate USM so all the parent stuff is crap to me. Ben was his father.

Agreed. All of this.

When Peter said Ben is his father to Green Goblin...summed it all up.

If that's how you feel about Ultimate Spider-Man and the parents, then this franchise just isn't for you.

I hope the next movie has Gwen being Carnage all along and Hulk Goblin.

That's fine they explain it that way, it doesn't make the movie better. I am judging the movie, whether that pays off for the trilogy we will see. No great superhero trilogy has done that in any of their movies and it's likely for a reason. BB would have sucked had Ra's never returned in the 3rd act. X1 would have sucked if Rogue runs away from the mansion and no one sees her again. It's bad story telling.

we dont hear from the ten rings again after Stane kills Raza...

I wonder how thats gonna turn out for the trilogy.

If you pay attention you'll notice the man who gave Ivan tickets had a Ten Rings tattoo. Still hinting the Ten Rings without making them a factor in IM2.

If you pay attention you'll notice the man who gave Ivan tickets had a Ten Rings tattoo. Still hinting the Ten Rings without making them a factor in IM2.

I wonder if theyll hint at peters parents in asm2

*Update* Your Rating for TASM

Why ?

I have same rating even now, 8/10.

I think that the 2002 film and TASM are both faithful and unfaithful in different aspects of the comic books.

Also, don't forget that TASM takes a lot of elements from Ultimate Spider-Man, such as the responsibility speech (word for word).

tumblr_m6xn2ymYzY1r387e5o1_1280.jpg

Why do people keep saying "word for word"? It is not

The message is about the same, and they use a few same words there, but the movie version is much shorter and it is different. word for word is a very specific way to describe something, and it is a wrong way to describe TASM's Uncle Ben speech

As TheWallCrawler said, there's a difference
In this comics Ben doesn't tell Peter "Not a choice, a responsibility"
I need to read Ultimate Spider-Man again

Why do people keep saying "word for word"? It is not

The message is about the same, and they use a few same words there, but the movie version is much shorter and it is different. word for word is a very specific way to describe something, and it is a wrong way to describe TASM's Uncle Ben speech

I remembered it being word for word for some reason lol. Sorry, I should have checked. Not feeling all that great. But it was clearly inspired by Ben's speech from Ultimate Spider-Man.

As TheWallCrawler said, there's a difference
In this comics Ben doesn't tell Peter "Not a choice, a responsibility"
I need to read Ultimate Spider-Man again
There is a difference, but its the same message.

*Update* Your Rating for TASM

Why ?

I have same rating even now, 8/10.

I guess because it's understandable some people's ratings went lower as much as some went higher. Same reason I made the same thread/poll for TDKR.

Ratings and opinions change over a period of time. They are not set in stone.

Some films. Not all of them. I've had the same opinion of Spider-Man 2 since I first saw it. Same with TDK, Superman I and II, First Class, Iron Man.

Some films. Not all of them. I've had the same opinion of Spider-Man 2 since I first saw it. Same with TDK, Superman I and II, First Class, Iron Man.

My rating has gone down for virtually every movie I've ever seen after watching a number of times.

I remembered it being word for word for some reason lol. Sorry, I should have checked. Not feeling all that great. But it was clearly inspired by Ben's speech from Ultimate Spider-Man.

Not denying that :cwink:. A shame that Marc didn't adapt more elements from the Ultimate comics, like the robber going to their house. It would've been a really cool intense scene

also, there were many other things that would've made the movie way better

^I made a post about that in the Uncle Ben's Killer thread. I agree that should have been where it went down. But I did like ASMs new take on those events.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"