The Amazing Spider-Man 2 *Updated* Andrew Garfield vs Tobey Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Goblin

Crawling on walls
Reaction score
*Only for those who have seen TASM2*

How has your opinion changed on this debate? Did the film lean you more or less to Garfield?

For me, I thought Garfield was fantastic in ASM1 and his Spidey was great too. The script let him down a little towards the end ASM2 dealt with breaking the promise very well. In ASM2 the script allowed his character to grow into this young man and less of a high school student. I think this along with a scene near the end of ASM2 sold me completely, Garfield is the definitive Spider-Man!

I thought Maguire did well in SM1, his script in this was the best in the trilogy. While in SM2 he was on top form the script meant his character stayed the same, he still felt like a high school student!

I still prefer Tobey. I really like Garfield, but I can't help but feel he's lumbered with a lot of material that doesn't always work in his favour.

I still prefer Tobey. I really like Garfield, but I can't help but feel he's lumbered with a lot of material that doesn't always work in his favour.

I don't think Maguire is a bad actor, he was great but I did think the script for Garfield brought him out more.

Easily Andrew Garfield for both. SM is an instant guarantee but with PP it all depends on what you want. Garfield is a more modern Peter and this film no longer plays on the whole "loser" aspect since he's out of school. More Ultimate influenced but still a better Peter in my opinion.

I will always have a soft spot for the Raimi trilogy SM and PP but Andrew Garfield brings out the best of both.

Easily Andrew Garfield for both. SM is an instant guarantee but with PP it all depends on what you want. Garfield is a more modern Peter and this film no longer plays on the whole "loser" aspect since he's out of school. More Ultimate influenced but still a better Peter in my opinion.

I will always have a soft spot for the Raimi trilogy SM and PP but Andrew Garfield brings out the best of both.

I think what gave Garfield's PP the edge was how they handled him in ASM2. He reminded me of him in the comics during college years.

Thing is I see it as different versions rather than two of the same versions presented differently.

Tobey played the 60s Peter. He was nerdy and goofy and sweet and naive.
Andrew plays a more Ultimate/modern Peter whose more charming and funny.

As for Spider-Man I feel that Tobeys was humorous to a small degree but it didn't feel as natural as Andrews Spider-Man who is more wacky with his quips.

I like both versions of PP but I think I prefer the more Comic Booky Spider-Man delivered by Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"