Apocalypse Users Rate, Review, and React to X-Men: Apocalypse (TAG SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i wanted to share my views on the apocalypse, analystic style. [so full of SPOILER]

Erik has retreated himself in the woods, he has a wife and a daughter, he calls them "Home". It will be taken away from him.
Charles has a family, his fellow student at the university he built, a place surrounded by nature. It will be burned to the ground.
Mystique has no home, she is a runaway ... and a woman.

Apocalypse want to destroy civilization, machines and super powers, falses idols and ecaetera. He want to return home. And what he believe to be harmony.Magneto as always been shred by his anger wher Professor X is kind and empathic. They both want harmony. They both lost there Home.

So we come to mother nature. Here nature is a female force, yang. She is the lost child of Erik (who was super connected to nature). She is on the run and has lost her memory, has nightmares of a world burnt to the ground.

This is a story of liberation, first home is destroyed, then there is the berseker rage and then will come the Phoenix. The rebirth symbolized in its most powerfull way. (And of course Jean is a woman).

The rebirth will only happen when Charles let go. He choose not to control anymore (link to the first trilogy). Just after that he will give back her memory to Moira (who is woman, they are so many). (In parallel, Jean gave some memory back to wolverine)(and Storm will gained back confidence in Mystique, who was, great symbol, strangled by Apocalypse).

Erik and Jean, man and woman, will rebuilt the home of the mutants. And Charles will have make a new X-Men team to protect his home. This is a powerfull scheme, psychologically, of mental reconstruction and new set up of barrier. (I'm not good in informatic but maybe it's like you erased virus files and set up new program). It is also the reorganization of the films for a new trilogy, so it works on lany levels, and i find relevant and powerfull, as it create meaning and deep feelings.

There is luch more that could be add and told (like the three new x-men all share red vision, symbol of the tree and memory, ...) but that is the main thing i wanted to pointed at.

Two or three time in the movie they insist on the word "Connected" and this is a connected movie, the characters form a all and go as one, it is even well connected to the other films and the forms is connected to the content.

Last edited:
Interesting thoughts! The concepts of both 'home' and 'family' are always extremely linked in our culture so it makes sense that it comes through in the movie (since Singer intended this movie to be about family.

ApophènX;33716899 said:
So we come to mother nature. Here nature is a female force, yang. She is the lost child of Erik (who was super connected to nature). She is on the run and has lost her memory, has nightmares of a world burnt to the ground.

I'm not sure who you're referring to. I don't recall anyone on the run and having lost her memory, and Jean was the only one with the nightmares of a world burnt to the ground. Although it is interesting that Magneto's daughter had the power to control animals, hence nature.

ApophènX;33716899 said:
The rebirth will only happen when Charles let go. He choose not to control anymore (link to the first trilogy). Just after that he will give back her memory to Moira (who is woman, they are so many). (In parallel, Jean gave some memory back to wolverine)(and Storm will gained back confidence in Mystique, who was, great symbol, strangled by Apocalypse).

Erik and Jean, man and woman, will rebuilt the home of the mutants. And Charles will have make a new X-Men team to protect his home.

I like this. I also like how once again this franchise is all about Charles. X1-DOFP were in many ways about Charles' failures (failure or unwillingness to cure Jason Stryker, failure to help Jean harness her powers positively leading to the creation of Dark Phoenix, failure to convince Magneto to give up his vengeance and mutant supremacist ways, failure to prevent Mystique from falling sway under Magneto's philosophies which sparks her dark path in the original timeline.

This movie is the final redemption for Charles, which ultimately is what will lead us into the happy future of DoFP. He learns from his mistakes in DoFP with Mystique, and we see them realised in this movie with returning the memories to Moira and allowing Jean to let go.

ApophènX;33716899 said:
Two or three time in the movie they insist on the word "Connected" and this is a connected movie, the characters form a all and go as one, it is even well connected to the other films and the forms is connected to the content.

Connection is also important in religion. Apocalypse wants telepathy so that he can be in the heart and minds of everyone in the world, to truly be a god. Is that not in some way what religion is about?

I'm not sure who you're referring to. I don't recall anyone on the run and having lost her memory, and Jean was the only one with the nightmares of a world burnt to the ground. Although it is interesting that Magneto's daughter had the power to control animals, hence nature.

Connection is also important in religion. Apocalypse wants telepathy so that he can be in the heart and minds of everyone in the world, to truly be a god. Is that not in some way what religion is about?

I was refereing to Mystique (on the run), Moira (lost of memory) and nightmares for Jean. There is something hidden that needs to be reveal, as Apocalypse final words are "All is revealed" (or something close). First we have Apocalypse, he wants to be all but he is not, Phoenix is (in the comic she is this kind of primordial cosmic force). a theme of the movie is one of lost of control, it touches mainly Erik, Jean, Scott (who destroy the tree of memory of charles), and a bit everyone as Apocalypse want to unlocke the hidden power of the mutants.

Apocalypse had a kind of super-ego, he believed he was god and therefore that his places was inside everyone. So in a way he suffer that he didn't felt connected to the world enough. And connection is life, nature aswell as family.

@guest star: I didn't know but it's kinda of the core, i just pick up Xmen recently and one thing that appeals to me is that i said myself i would like to have a place like this, a family where we can all go crazy and reveal our mutations.

Last edited:
A 5/10 from me, which puts Apocalypse right with the OT for me as well. Shame, I'd hope this would be a DOFP scenario for me. I thought that the trailers for DOFP were boring and they didn't excite me in the slightest. Loved that film. Boring and unexciting Apocalypse trailers? Not the same outcome.

Just got out. I'll have to think about this on the way home and I'll post a full write up, but for now it's an 8/10 from me.

10/10

Best Movie Of The Year! #XMenApocalypse @Kinberg @BryanSinger @SophieT @AlexShipppp @lanacondor - It was brilliant! #RoseByrne

I was the only one to clap but I don't give a ****. Amazing.#XMenApocalypse

.@SophieT was amazing as Jean. Perfect. @RealHughJackman was sick as Wolverine. @tweetsonurface as Quicksilver stole the show again!

.@AlexShipppp and @lanacondor were perfect as Storm and Jubilee. Hope they get more time in the next. #XMenApocalypse

Moira was amazing. Loved how they mentioned her son and her not being with her ex husband anymore. I hope they touch on that more in future.

Fassbender deserves an academy award for his performance.

10/10

Best Movie Of The Year! #XMenApocalypse @Kinberg @BryanSinger @SophieT @AlexShipppp @lanacondor - It was brilliant! #RoseByrne

I was the only one to clap but I don't give a ****. Amazing.#XMenApocalypse

.@SophieT was amazing as Jean. Perfect. @RealHughJackman was sick as Wolverine. @tweetsonurface as Quicksilver stole the show again!

.@AlexShipppp and @lanacondor were perfect as Storm and Jubilee. Hope they get more time in the next. #XMenApocalypse

Moira was amazing. Loved how they mentioned her son and her not being with her ex husband anymore. I hope they touch on that more in future.

Fassbender deserves an academy award for his performance.

I want what he's having. Solid 4.5/10 for me.

Screw it, I'm going full on biased fanboy. Should probably wait to rate it till after I come down from the high, but good god, that movie really hit the right buttons for me. I am ready to see this quite a few more times.

10/10

I was sad I was the only one who clapped and some were looking at me like WTF. But mostly heard positive things coming out. Only a few comments in front of me about not understanding Storms motivation for joining Apocalypse. That didn't bother me though. Alex was lovely. Can't wait for more of her in the sequel.

I don't understand the @RottenTomatoes reviews on #XMenApocalypse. F half the reviews this was fresh as hell.

People will likely complain about the death toll and destruction like Man of Steal but a lot of people died in Civil War as well. The film has Apocalypse in title. The Villian is named Apocalypse. That's gonna happen.

Jubilee was so precious. @lanacondor was adorable af. Can't wait for the deleted scenes. And more Jubilee in the sequel. #XMenApocalypse

Just got out. I'll have to think about this on the way home and I'll post a full write up, but for now it's an 8/10 from me.

Screw it, I'm going full on biased fanboy. Should probably wait to rate it till after I come down from the high, but good god, that movie really hit the right buttons for me. I am ready to see this quite a few more times.

10/10
Glad you both enjoyed it :)

Maybe a 7/7.5 from me. Has obvious flaws, but on the whole I liked it.

Overall verdict: I liked it, though it has flaws. I think some of the negative reviews are really over the top. Anyway, on a point-by-point basis:
+ Magneto: Has a really strong arc, and great acting by Michael Fassbender. I really like the scene where his family is killed, because it shows the best sort of nuanced characterization that Singer has brought to these movies; the people that come to arrest him are not psychos or anything like that, and the deaths of his family happen by accident. In a lot of stories they'd just be a bunch of goons who machine-gun the place.

+ Apocalypse: A lot of the reviews really don't like Apocalypse, and describe Oscar Isaac as wasted. Now, for fans of Isaac's ace dramatic work, I guess maybe you could think that, since Apocalypse isn't a complex character or anything; but I think Isaac does a really good job playing this guy who thinks he's a god. He's got presence, and his recruitment drive, culminating in the first scene where he launches all the world's nuclear weapons, are great sequences.

+ Scott & Jean: These two are done way better than they were in the original trilogy. Strong casting in both cases, and Jean, especially, has a really good arc, though her introduction is perhaps a little abrupt. But what an ending. As a superfan of Sophie, this was obviously the part of the movie that pleased me the most. Take that, people who said she would fail!

+ Nightcrawler: A more minor character, but his intro is nice enough, and the actor handles both the comedy and more serious sides of the character well, what we see of them.

+ Professor X: Doesn't have as big a role here as in the previous films, but he's definitely arrived more or less at his optimal form. And unlike previous team movies that had to take him completely out of commission for the climax, here he's got a real role to play that doesn't impair other characters either. Nicely done.

+ Mystique: Ah, the ever-controversial character. For those who really hate the trailer suggestion that she's team leader, etc., that isn't the case, for what it's worth. She's an ensemble player here. She also has a workable arc, one that actually incorporates the complaints people made about why she isn't in her blue form more. This feels like a good resolution to the character's arc over the previous movies. Though it will be kind of awkward if she's not in future installments.

- Moira: I loved Rose Byrne in First Class, and she's fine here; I like that it resolves one of the more dubious aspects of FC's end. If things were different, I'd be fine with her being in the movie in what is clearly intended as a side role. But with some other aspects of the movie clearly needing more time, I think she should have been dropped and that time shuffled elsewhere. She's ultimately not needed.

- Quicksilver: His big mansion rescue sequence is fun, but it's not as good as the DOFP sequence, and I feel it's tonally out of place with what immediately preceded it. Beyond that, the arc of him looking for his father just fizzles without any real payoff. Now in a sense I actually like the script avoiding what many people predicted as a trite resolution where Magneto is swayed away from Apocalypse by learning he still has a son, but there really needed to be some payoff to this arc.

- Storm: I'd call this the movie's single-biggest missed opportunity. First, the positive: Alexandra Shipp seems well-cast; the accent is good, and the character has a pretty solid introduction. Moreover, in interviews Singer outlined a vision for Storm's role in this story that I think would have worked, if there'd been enough time, namely, showing a sort of troubled youth drawn to a cult leader. One could infer from that that she'd see the error of her ways and switch sides. And yeah, that happens, but it's barely dramatized. The character virtually vanishes after her introduction in Egypt.As the contours of the plot became clearer over the course of production/advertising, I figured we would see Storm interacting with the captured Professor X and being convinced that the path she was on wasn't right. That's what they should have done. When I say they should have dropped Moira, they should have used the saved time to give Storm a proper arc. I guess they could also have dropped Quicksilver, if they weren't going to fine-tune his story more.

Last edited:
I really loved this movie. It may not be the best film in the series but I think it is the best X-Men film. 8/10.

with apocalypse i will never again listen to a word critics have to say on X_men.Apocalypse is third favorate film In franchise for me.

I will probally buy it in fall from both DVD and Itunes-although if it like DOFP rogue cut and deadpool it has coupon to get it hq from itunes maybe i only have to buy it once.

Seeing it for the 2nd time in a couple hours, my theater has 200 seats booked for the showing! I cannot wait.

I was mildly underwhelmed. I wouldn't call this an outright bad movie, but it's a considerable step down from the previous installments. X-meh.

A few things right off the top while I'm still chewing on the movie:

The good:
- Fasbender is obviously great, but I want to make a special note to praise McAvoy. I think he's criminally underrated and his casting is, in my eyes, on the same level as Hugh Jackman and RDJ. He's pitch perfect for the part and can sell me on almost any moment.

- Quicksilver is as fun as ever. In some ways he's the heart of this movie and I'm not sure it works near as well without him.

- They have yet again put together a cast of younger X-men that I want to see more of. I didn't know if it were doable, but they did it seemingly with ease.

- I actually thought Apocalypse was pretty cool.

The bad:
- So I know I just said Apocalypse was pretty cool, but that's all there is to it. He was aesthetically striking and I liked how his origins were steeped in mythology but besides all of that surface texture, there's not much there.

- I'm definitely feeling some Jennifer Lawrence fatigue. I really liked the Psylocke/Apocalypse twist, but I could live without the rest of her performance.

- The Wolverine cameo was unnecessary. It was cooler in theory than in execution.

- I hate to be a party pooper, but the first Quicksilver scene wore out it's welcome pretty quickly. I thought the second bullet-time sequence where he was punching Apocalypse was much more effective, but I'm not sure it will be as talked about. Neither can hold a candle to the Pentagon sequence from DOFP, though. I actually thought a lot of the humor in this film fell flat compared to the previous X-men movies.

- Moira as the catalyst for waking up Apocalypse left me scratching my head. He has a cult of worshippers but none of them knew how to resurrect him, it just accidentally happened? I'm not going to count this against the movie, but it raised my eyebrow.

- I'm not a CG snob but there were some very poor effects.

The ugly:
- Giving Magneto a family was a really bad move. I'd argue one of the biggest flaws in the movie. We all knew right from the start that they were going to die, but as it turns out, dying was really their only purpose.

All in all I'd maybe put this slightly ahead of TLS, but not by much. So I guess my ranking of X-men movies would go:

1. DOFP
2. FC
3. Deadpool
4. X-men
5. X2
6. The Wolverine
7. X-men: Apocalypse
8. The Last Stand
9. X-men Origins: Wolverine

10/10
I'm right there with you on that high. I want to write a longer review but I'm still too excited haha

I seriously think the only movie that had me smiling this much during the movie was TFA.

I enjoyed it. It’s definitely not the horror show some of the reviews had made it out to be. Apocalypse comes off as way too dopey a lot of the time, and because of that, I felt like he kept getting in the way of the much better movie that was going on around him.

I love the scenes with the new kids learning to work together. I wished that final scene had happened maybe in the middle of the movie, so we’d get to see more of them together as the X-Men. (sort of like how FC was structured)

The new cast is great - especially loved the new Nightcrawler.

But I liked it. It’s not the best X-Men film, but it’s miles better than Last Stand or Origins. Looking forward to seeing it again on Saturday.

Fasbender is obviously great, but I want to make a special note to praise McAvoy. I think he's criminally underrated and his casting is, in my eyes, on the same level as Hugh Jackman and RDJ. He's pitch perfect for the part and can sell me on almost any moment.
:bow:

Even after three films he's ignored by critics who only have eyes for one actor. James deserves a medal from Fox, he almost single-handed promoted XMA with enthusiasm and love for the franchise (just see how he places the X-Men above the Avengers - with a sense of humor, of course, but it's quite moving how he stated that the X-Men are a family, Avengers just a team).

He never got the recognition he deserved for those films, but nothing prevented him of doing his best for them.

I havent posted here in while but I had to put down my feelings on this film. I really enjoyed this. This could work as a finale of Singer's run or the setup of a new generation. I loved all the younger actors and Sophie Turner was incredible as Jean. Apocalypse doesnt have the heart and soul of DOFP or X2 but it is a good blockbuster. I could of used more horseman though, but overall not as bad as it was made out to be. This movie had me grinning ear to ear with the homages and references. I would put in the top 5 with 1. DOFP 2. X2 3. First Class 4.Deadpool 5. Apocolypse. I really loved it but I can see why its divided among critics.

Magnetos wife Magda and there daughter were perfectly cast! I balled when they died. Daughter was adorable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unlike some i really see this more as setup for future.

I feel what Singer was going for was somewhat of a finale of his original more grounded vision and starting a more fantasticil comic booky vision.

I feel getting more colorful costumes after they had a baptism of fire worked very well.

I kind of agree with Singer on not drastically changing the tone of the series. But, I think patience will pay off for the next film, who ever directs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"