Civil War Users Rate & Review Civil War (TAG Spoilers!)

In terms of all films, the Lord of the Rings trilogy still gets my vote. Those are some of the best films ever made.

That's not a comic book trilogy though.

I said in terms of ALL films. You'll notice that the discussion has been based around both comic book film trilogies as well as film trilogies in general.

Out of cb trilogies, Cap is the best. But someone mentioned it was the best out of ANY movie trilogy...in which I, and others disagreed and offered examples.

But what about Spider-Man and Nolan Batman?

:D

Spider-Man, are you kidding? As for Nolan's bat films, TDKR was terrible, for me anyway. I respect and like what Nolan did with BB and TDK but where other comic book movies shine the most is the fact that they take on the ridiculous/fantastical aspects where Nolan employed a much more grounded and realistic approach. It's not a bad thing per se but when other movies embrace the ludicrousness of the comic fantasy it's something I appreciate more.

Cap 1 is the weakest of tge trilogy but it's a solid good movie and could have been all too easy to mess up. Making and promoting a captain America film for a global audience imo is one of the most challenging duties to take on and yet, it's somehow shat on the other movies within the genre and garnered critical acclaim and now sits in the throne of the genre.

I honestly thought the cap movies would end up being the weakest if Marvel's offering...boy was I epically proven wrong.

Agreed, any trilogy that includes the origin of Captain America already has a disadvantage going in.

what the hell is that supposed to mean? How is "During WWII a regular dude gets turned into a superhero to go fight Nazis" not the best origin/hook ever?? :loco:
Re: Bourne and LoTR- the third Bourne sucked too, imo, and LoTR is just a chore to watch. I don't know what trilogy I could honestly say is the "Best Trilogy Ever".... Maybe Indy or the original Star Wars (since I was too young to hate Short Round or Ewoks)

Last edited:
Didn't enjoy the movie that much (6.5/10 or so) but Holland's Spidey is excellent! Can't wait to see his solo movie!

*Sigh*

Another comic book movie this summer that left me feeling disappointed & underwhelmed. This movie has a lot in common with BvS's problems in the sense that the actual ideas behind the movie(s) were very good yet I don't feel have been executed well favoring visuals & quantity over quality.

Not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, just, much like BvS, disappointed with a lot of elements. Spiderman's introduction being one, felt rushed, unnecessary to any part of the story & thus was a giant timewaste, a gimmick to plant more people in seats. It was cool as **** to see his fight scenes at the airport, but his introductory scene with Stark was disappointing & I'm just disappointed such a popular character felt so rushed into the movie.

Movie was 6.5/10 for me just about better than BvS, but for me both have been disappointments, neither warrant multiple viewings in theaters. Thus far Deadpool's comfortably been the best 'superhero' movie of the year quite comfortably.

*Sigh*

Another comic book movie this summer that left me feeling disappointed & underwhelmed. This movie has a lot in common with BvS's problems in the sense that the actual ideas behind the movie(s) were very good yet I don't feel have been executed well favoring visuals & quantity over quality.

Not a bad movie by any stretch of the imagination, just, much like BvS, disappointed with a lot of elements. Spiderman's introduction being one, felt rushed, unnecessary to any part of the story & thus was a giant timewaste, a gimmick to plant more people in seats. It was cool as **** to see his fight scenes at the airport, but his introductory scene with Stark was disappointing & I'm just disappointed such a popular character felt so rushed into the movie.

Movie was 6.5/10 for me just about better than BvS, but for me both have been disappointments, neither warrant multiple viewings in theaters. Thus far Deadpool's comfortably been the best 'superhero' movie of the year quite comfortably.

See I find Deadpool overrated and BvS was just a mess. CW is just better in terms of story, characters, plot, editing and action. Deadpool was cool and had one decent action piece but once I saw it a second time it really didn't hit as much. It just seemed average to me. To each their own I suppose.

See I find Deadpool overrated and BvS was just a mess. CW is just better in terms of story, characters, plot, editing and action. Deadpool was cool and had one decent action piece but once I saw it a second time it really didn't hit as much. It just seemed average to me. To each their own I suppose.

I think I'm partially to blame for my disappointment in both CW & BvS, I think I went into seeing both expecting too much, in comparison with Deadpool I went in with not really any expectations at all & came out quite happy with how they'd handled the character.

I feel both CW & BvS just try to cram too many characters & ideas into one movie. I feel the story/plot for both, on paper are good ideas that present a lot of good questions & potential character building moments, but both I feel end up getting watered down by having too many unnecessary elements & sub-plots thrown in. I think both movies suffer because of it both of them are too long as well for the content that is on offer IMO.

9/10 too much to say... I will say this.... SEE IT IN 4D!!!!!! It is off the hook! Spidey shoots webs at you and you FEEL them!!!!

9/10 too much to say... I will say this.... SEE IT IN 4D!!!!!! It is off the hook! Spidey shoots webs at you and you FEEL them!!!!
:hehe: I'd like to try 4D one of these days.

YEah I am kinda disappointed.
First things first. Is this a bad movie? No. Not even close.

Positives:
-Of course the performances were great. Good things in the future for Black Panther and Spider-Man. Special mention to Ant-Man too who actually caused my whole theater to clap during his stand out scene
-The airport action scene was well done.
-The actual way the story progressed was really well done. The Russo's did very well. I mean on paper I would not expect that to work
-The last third was really good, dramatic

This movie had all the classic Marvel shortcomings. Gripes in order:
-The tone was bad. I like humor and jokes, but sometimes it's too much.Too many quips and humor and while I give Spider-Man, Ant-Man and to a lesser extent Iron Man a pass; there were a lot of times I was like "Ok guys. Take it back a few notches" especially during the airport scene. That's why I really liked the last third in Siberia. This is a movie where friends are essentially and literally pointing guns at each other and firing. More Avengers shouldve gotten injured and no moments like "We're still friends right?" "Depends on how hard you hit me"

-Im gonna get flack for this, but honestly Spider-Man didn't need to be in this movie at all. I loved Holland. Can't wait for Homecoming (although I hate that title) But dude was so shoehorned in there. And I get that Stark gives him the suit, but Spider-Man couldve been used to show switching of sides or used more dramatically even in the short time he had him. It made him seem kinda stupid when Cap and him were talking. (Side note: I know this is gonna be met with :o emoji's and corny, snarky remarks but it's so weird seeing a MILF Aunt May. Im fine with her being younger but she looks like she's ready to hit the runway and that's weird to me. Didn't change my opinion of the movie but it was just a thought. I did like that "Leaning against the fourth wall" joke of "Aunt's come in all different looks")
And also wasn't kinda weird that Stark recruited a kid? I get that the kid isn't any normal kid, but still though

-Pacing was off. I was kinda bored or was thinking "man this is a long movie" at a few parts

-Zemo was eh. I mean his motivation was good, performance wise he was ok. But idk he still came off bland to me. His plan kinda seemed to be way more complicated then it needed to be

-I don't think the hand the hand scenes were that good this time. I have to check if it's the same editor because there were so many cuts compared the TWS when it came to the hand to hand fights

-Some of the time they used to set up Spider-Man couldve been better served showing motivations for characters like Hawkeye and especially Ant-Man on why they chose the side they did. Hawkeye from what Ive seen from the previous movies it seems like he wouldve sided with Tony. Unless he just chose because of his "debt"

-The "love story" was bad. It reminded me of how things went down between Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2. Although the moment right after the kiss, had me laughing pretty hard.
But just Sharon in general I wish they did more with her. I just feel like they wanted to move her story forward but didn't really know how to in a good way. (Another side note: very weird they decided to include her in the promo art. I knew she wouldnt be in the movie much, but that mightve played with my expectations)

All in all, this was a good movie but I am not wowed by it. I am seeing it with a friend again on Sunday so I'll see if anything changes.

7.5 (maybe 7.75)/10

Misc thoughts that didnt affect anything
-How in the hell did they do that young Tony scene near the beginning?
-Wouldve loved to see a scene at the end about where [BLACKOUT]Sharon and Widow ended up. Because weren't they both implicated in helping Cap? Sharon wasn't caught red handed but Widow was.[/BLACKOUT]
-Damn man they [BLACKOUT]crippled Rhodey[/BLACKOUT] :(
-Really shouldve included that mid credits scene into the movie proper
-Weird that Alfre Woodard is playing the different characters in the MCU (Netflix and here) especially when her role in here could've been played by any actress
-I mean I get that people are emotionally devastated and they aren't thinking rationally, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people are like "When you were saving the world, my (insert important person here) died!" I always want a hero to say: "WELL IF I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WE'D ALL BE DEAD"
-The whole handling of Tony and [BLACKOUT]Pepper[/BLACKOUT] was stupid.
-[BLACKOUT]You know as much crap as I give killing off heroes just to bring them back. I really think this movie could've used a hero death[/BLACKOUT]

Last edited:
Fantastic film. Balls to the wall epic. This is how I wanted to feel coming out of Age of Ultron. Action packed, great fight scenes, the airport fight was sensory overload. Spidey was awesome but Black Panther was my favorite. I wanted more and more of him.

This is the first time since Ironman 1 where RDJ's performance didnt annoy the s*** out of me. He was quippy but it wasnt overboard and when he got serious, he got SERIOUS. I have been waiting for this Tony Stark to return.

The story. Loved the story. Loved the clash of ideologies between Steve and Tony. Some of my favorite moments in the film were the talking scenes where the two were arguing. Great tension build up.

I have much more to say but this is Marvel's finest work. Its grown up, mature, serious, but plenty of moments of levity and humor at just the right times. I love Joss Whedon but I much prefer the Russos Bros.' films and their tone.

Bring on Infinity War!

9.5/10

Last edited:
I'm speechless. Without a doubt my favorite superhero movie ever.
Every character was exceptionally utilized. I'm struggling to think of someone who didn't get something satisfying to do.

Last edited:
YEah I am kinda disappointed.
First things first. Is this a bad movie? No. Not even close.

Positives:
-Of course the performances were great. Good things in the future for Black Panther and Spider-Man. Special mention to Ant-Man too who actually caused my whole theater to clap during his stand out scene
-The airport action scene was well done.
-The actual way the story progressed was really well done. The Russo's did very well. I mean on paper I would not expect that to work
-The last third was really good, dramatic

This movie had all the classic Marvel shortcomings. Gripes in order:
-The tone was bad. I like humor and jokes, but sometimes it's too much.Too many quips and humor and while I give Spider-Man, Ant-Man and to a lesser extent Iron Man a pass; there were a lot of times I was like "Ok guys. Take it back a few notches" especially during the airport scene. That's why I really liked the last third in Siberia. This is a movie where friends are essentially and literally pointing guns at each other and firing. More Avengers shouldve gotten injured and no moments like "We're still friends right?" "Depends on how hard you hit me"

-Im gonna get flack for this, but honestly Spider-Man didn't need to be in this movie at all. I loved Holland. Can't wait for Homecoming (although I hate that title) But dude was so shoehorned in there. And I get that Stark gives him the suit, but Spider-Man couldve been used to show switching of sides or used more dramatically even in the short time he had him. It made him seem kinda stupid when Cap and him were talking. (Side note: I know this is gonna be met with :o emoji's and corny, snarky remarks but it's so weird seeing a MILF Aunt May. Im fine with her being younger but she looks like she's ready to hit the runway and that's weird to me. Didn't change my opinion of the movie but it was just a thought. I did like that "Leaning against the fourth wall" joke of "Aunt's come in all different looks")

-Pacing was off. I was kinda bored or was thinking "man this is a long movie" at a few parts

-Zemo was eh. I mean his motivation was good, performance wise he was ok. But idk he still came off bland to me. His plan kinda seemed to be way more complicated then it needed to be

-I don't think the hand the hand scenes were that good this time. I have to check if it's the same editor because there were so many cuts compared the TWS when it came to the hand to hand fights

-Some of the time they used to set up Spider-Man couldve been better served showing motivations for characters like Hawkeye and especially Ant-Man on why they chose the side they did. Hawkeye from what Ive seen from the previous movies it seems like he wouldve sided with Tony. Unless he just chose because of his "debt"

-The "love story" was bad. It reminded me of how things went down between Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2. Although the moment right after the kiss, had me laughing pretty hard.
But just Sharon in general I wish they did more with her. I just feel like they wanted to move her story forward but didn't really know how to in a good way. (Another side note: very weird they decided to include her in the promo art. I knew she wouldnt be in the movie much, but that mightve played with my expectations)

All in all, this was a good movie but I am not wowed by it. I am seeing it with a friend again on Sunday so I'll see if anything changes.

7.5 (maybe 7.75)/10

Misc thoughts that didnt affect anything
-How in the hell did they do that young Tony scene near the beginning?
-Wouldve loved to see a scene at the end about where [BLACKOUT]Sharon and Widow ended up. Because weren't they both implicated in helping Cap? Sharon wasn't caught red handed but Widow was.[/BLACKOUT]
-Damn man they [BLACKOUT]crippled Rhodey[/BLACKOUT] :(
-Really shouldve included that mid credits scene into the movie proper
-Weird that Alfre Woodard is playing the different characters in the MCU (Netflix and here) especially when her role in here could've been played by any actress
-I mean I get that people are emotionally devastated and they aren't thinking rationally, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people are like "When you were saving the world, my (insert important person here) died!" I always want a hero to say: "WELL IF I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING WE'D ALL BE DEAD"
-The whole handling of Tony and [BLACKOUT]Pepper[/BLACKOUT] was stupid.
-[BLACKOUT]You know as much crap as I give killing off heroes just to bring them back. I really think this movie could've used a hero death[/BLACKOUT]

Think Widow will end up joining steve and his secret avengers , she's a spy , she's not so easily caught.
Don't need a needless death , don't want civil war to end up like a whedon avengers movie where someone has to die.

I'm speechless. Without a doubt my favorite superhero movie ever.
Every character was exceptionally utilized. I'm struggling to think of someone who didn't get something satisfying to do.

How about Spider-Man hey?:awesome:

Saw it for the first time like a month ago rated it a 10 then just saw it again tonight still a 10 my favorite cbm of all time I think I csn definitely say now.

This movie was ****ing AMAZING!! Great characters, epic action, gripping story..loved the tense political vibe throughout. Tons of awesome moments. Really dug the dynamic between Wanda and Vision. BP was scary and badass as ****. Tom Holland as Spidey stole the show. Literally started shaking when QUEENS popped up on the screen. The final fight was genuinely heartbreaking. Just.....AHHH!! Everything was sooooo good. I could gush about it all day. Definite 10/10 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"