Vampirina (Disney Junior)

Abishai100

Civilian
Reaction score
The new Disney computer-animated children's TV series Vampirina is a quality program about a precocious young Transylvanian vampire-girl named Vampirina who moves with her family to Pennsylvania and tries to keep her ghoulish identity more or less compatible with the normal world and in the process has terrific adventures with her new friends and with her parents and home-friends (which include a gargoyle-nanny and a ghost-spirit).

Vampirina is not unlike The Munsters in theme/tone, but it's much more playful and of course modern and computer-animated and also much more children-oriented. There're some nice storylines amidst great atmospherics and background and room and house designs as well as outdoor play and large music concerts featuring Vampirina's music-band comprised of her girlfriends.

This is a real achievement in modern television, since it's a terrific mix of graphics and imaginative play, and the show airs daily on and off on Disney Junior, which is a sister-network of the main Disney Channel. I watch with my kids and/or by myself (even though I'm 40!), since it entertains my aesthetic interests in gothic entertainment that is kid/family friendly(!). In fact, I like thinking about some of my ghost-story fiction/short-stories while watching Vampirina (a nice diorama-like exercise!).

Artistically, Vampirina is comparable to other quality shows of similar tone (or 'gothic imagination') such as Scooby-Doo, The Haunted Hathaways, Ghostbusters, or even Werewolf (though this one is obviously much more adult-artsy in terms of storyboarding!).

Gothic entertainment really took off since the pioneering work of Alfred Hitchcock, and these days, we find nice family-friendly or even storytelling-savvy Halloween-esque and gothic/noir/spook-atmospherics programs such as Vampirina and Scooby-Doo.

Vampirina aired originally in 2016 and was renewed for another season in 2018, since its popularity is rather well-established among fans of Disney Junior.

====

The logos and presentation graphics and art are rather well-mounted and organized, revealing a nice artistic boldness towards quality Halloween-esque programming for kids and family(!).

vamp7.jpg

The characters are well-developed and offer us nice family-values oriented drama and challenges for the characters to endure or contemplate. In fact, we haven't seen such family-friendly conversational/atmospheric programs since Full House was the last real 'family-entertainment' since the more 'classic' days of The Donna Reed Show or My Three Sons. Yup, Vampirina is to 21st Century TV what MTV was to late 20th Century confetti!

vamp3.jpg

Don't be surprised if a hip young modern American is caught watching some 3D-presentation of Vampirina media. You might ask such a fan why such family-oriented programming appeals to modern-day 'street-spirit aesthetics.' This might be the legacy of Sesame Street, no?

vamp1.jpg

Vampirina merchandise makes for great fanfare items such as school-lunchboxes, backpacks, Trapper-Keepers/folders and notebooks, and of course Halloween ornaments/costumes. Sometimes, just sometimes, entertainment-based merchandising actually feels 'creative.'

vamp2.jpg

When we watch clips of Vampirina performing musical numbers with her band comprised of her girlfriends (the new friends she's made in the 'normal' area of Pennsylvania!), we might notice why creative programming in the modern era invites adults and kids to enjoy TV together. Hopefully, this is a strong trend emerged out of comic book media and campfire experiences. This is first-rate Disney entertainment, folks...

vamp4.jpg

This Halloween, I might throw a Vampirina-party for my kids and their friends, since of course, modern media allows us to better integrate entertainment with personal/social life. Vampirina aesthetics make for outstanding Americana couture, as many fans would echo...

vamp6.jpg

While Vampirina might never become as 'legendary' to kids and youth-entertainment as, say Sesame Street, The Smurfs, or Dungeons & Dragons (since Vampirina is really a 'Halloween-esque specific' oriented media), it's certainly offered its fans various fanfare and diorama 'trophies' such as dolls and playsets and set-kits. Hey, consumerism doesn't have to be uni-dimensional, does it?

vamp5.jpg

In the end, you might find that just tuning into Vampirina will make you an instant fan, and you'll enjoy how it entreats your sense of 'Halloween coziness,' 'gothic imagination,' and of course, 'family-oriented playspace-construction.' As a citizen of modern TV-consumerism/entertainment society, I have to say, Vampirina makes me generally cheerful about creativity in mainstream TV. This is a really cool and giddy TV series and a nice 'hospitality feather' for Disney Junior. If someone in the future tells me that there wasn't much quality TV in my generation/era, I'd disagree because of a society-praising program such as the well-modeled Vampirina.

Cheers,

====

:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"