Variety: As Marvel Studios Moves Into Series, TV Unit’s Focus Is Unclear

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was expecting. If Marvel Studios is planning on expanding more I wouldn't mind if they just scrapped Helstrom and made one final season for Runaways and Cloak & Dagger and be done with it. Though I do hope Disney Studios would consider looking at the shows that have been and see whether some parts of them could be kept, like if the castings are really good and could still work on Disney+ or in movies (I'm thinking Cox, D'Onofrio, Luna, etc.). Like do a soft reboot for some things rather than completely wiping every show from history and starting over completely.

Before Comic Con I read Loeb and Kevin Feige were both going to be working on Disney+. It seems around the Con though there was talk of these departments still being quite separate. One crushing announcement after another ever since with a brief glimpse of things to come from Jeph Loeb's interview about a month ago now utterly gone almost...:cwink:

The only live action hope that I think remains for Marvel TV is putting the Netflix shows on FX as was talked about a while back. I don't think as many people in a mainstream audience would get excited about a reboot of these properties at least for many years to come compared to so many other properties that can tie into the movies better that Marvel can utilize instead.

The article from Variety is more of a summary write up of the current situation with a few "insider" sources that aren't gone into too much detail though so I think the main problem right now is being able to access a property that isn't suddenly in use by Marvel Studio's.

Last edited:
Just as a follow-up here's some more details on the status of Helstrom said to maybe begin filming October 7th if they get the casting in order (report dated September 26th):
Hulu "Very Happy" With Marvel's Helstrom
Hulu "Very Happy" With Marvel's Helstrom
Hours after Hulu pulled the plug on Marvel's Ghost Rider, ComicBook.com has learned the streaming platform is apparently "very happy" with Marvel's Helstrom. As previously reported by Deadline, it's the full intention of Hulu to continue development on the Paul Zbyszewski-led series. In fact, the show's still on track and scheduled to begin production on the initial episode as soon as October 7th, as we previously reported. Little has been revealed about the series, though it's believed to be close on casting both Daimon and Satana "Ana" Helstrom in the days leading up to New York Comic Con next weekend.

Announced at the same time, Ghost Rider and Helstrom were supposed to be part of what Marvel Television boss Jeph Loeb has been calling the outfit's "Adventure into Fear." Just before the announcement, Marvel registered trademarks for Ghost Rider, Helstrom, Glyph, and Spirits of Vengeance, potentially teasing the three separate shows would be leading into a team-up mini-series not unlike Netflix's The Defenders. Now, that could all be in flux with the sudden departure of Ghost Rider.

As recently as last month, Loeb himself had teased at least one or two additional shows on Hulu, which would make up the aforementioned "Adventure into Fear." It's likely Glyph would be one of those shows, though it's unknown if the second show would be Spirits of Vengeance or another solo show like Man-Thing, Bloodstone, or another horror-based Marvel character.

"Something that really interested us and interested them, and we always knew that we were going to do something with Ghost Rider, we were just waiting for the right place to put it," Loeb said at the time. "Then we started having the same conversation, which was there is in the comic book world the Spirits of Vengeance, and they are this sort of unusual group of characters, which involve Ghost Rider, which involves Helstrom, which involve Helstrom’s sister, Anna. We suddenly saw that there were three or four shows that we could put together that we now refer to as Adventure into Fear."

Helstrom is set to debut in 2020. Other Marvel television shows include Runaways, which debuts its third season on December 13th, and Agents of SHIELD, which debuts in seventh and final season on ABC next summer

That article was written September 26th shortly after the cancellation of Ghost Rider so the Variety article at the top of this thread is more current but doesn't really provide insight other than a write-up on what's already transpired with some "sources" saying they're doubting the live action avenue but nothing more than that. If anything Hulu's forcing Marvel TV to stop with the whole lets make 4 shows and combine them approach.

Helstrom looks to be the 1 show take or leave it until we hear more on the Netflix shows once the rights expire. Until then, the animation should be getting attention.

New York Comic Con October 3-6th may yield some further details on this front if in fact there's anything to announce.

Last edited:
Helstrom, Cloak & Dagger, Runaways won't last long... the thing is Marvel Television really want to cash in the mcu films but in the grand scheme of things, they don't matter to the MCU. Obviously no one saw it coming, that Marvel Studios would later produce their own shows that the films would fully recognize. In hindsight, imo, these live action shows by Marvel Television shouldn't have happened.

Honestly I feel like if Marvel Entertainment would start creating more "prestige animation" projects unrelated to the MCU while Marvel Studios takes over all the live-action MCU content it could be a win for everybody. The MCU becomes higher quality and more streamlined, while we get more interesting animated programs that attempt to ride the wave of success from Spiderverse and compete on a more equal field with DC's animated output.

Honestly I feel like if Marvel Entertainment would start creating more "prestige animation" projects unrelated to the MCU while Marvel Studios takes over all the live-action MCU content it could be a win for everybody. The MCU becomes higher quality and more streamlined, while we get more interesting animated programs that attempt to ride the wave of success from Spiderverse and compete on a more equal field with DC's animated output.

They should give their animation to Sony.

Disney - Two Spider-Man cartoons = both crap.
Sony - Into the Spider-Verse, Spectacular Spider-Man = both brilliant

Never thought about that but yeah, Disney's Spider-man cartoons have been noticeably bad. That new one has some of the worst animation I've seen in recent years.

They should give their animation to Sony.

Disney - Two Spider-Man cartoons = both crap.
Sony - Into the Spider-Verse, Spectacular Spider-Man = both brilliant
Marvel Television was run on a cheap budget. Many at Marvel Animation have stated that much. Disney IS NEVER giving any of its properties to anyone ever again.

How was the Ultimate Spider-Man series? Since we're talking Disney's animated Spider-Man work compared to Sony? Never saw Ultimate, but...well, I haven't heard, I guess, the more mixed reception I've seen on occasion from Marvel's Spider-Man.

Can't be more excited about the end of Marvel TV. Hope this means Fiege will do a full reboot and give us a proper Iron Fist/Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire property.

I will miss the Netflix shows. Daredevil was one of my favorite shows ever and they provided a grittiness that I doubt we will see again from Disney.

Not only is Marvel Studios producing more and more shows, Marvel Television is also being pushed to the wayside, and I’ve heard that, in a few years, it won’t continue to operate the same way it has been. ‘Ms. Marvel’ is another series on Marvel Studios’ D+ slate, and sources close to the project have indicated that Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige is mulling over rebooting a slew of particular characters to include in it, characters that received their own Marvel Television show a few years back that neither fans nor critics favored.
Inhumans and Iron Fist come to mind.

Last edited:
I can honestly say... I have NEVER seen Marc Spector as a Jewish Zac Efron type.

I will miss the Netflix shows. Daredevil was one of my favorite shows ever and they provided a grittiness that I doubt we will see again from Disney.

I will agree with this. I still have hopes that Feige wants a "Marvel Knights" label for the R rated affairs with the streaming going to Hulu since Disney+ is PG13 and below only. I am hoping to see things like Blade, Ghost Rider, Punisher, Daredevil, Deadpool, Wolverine under that label. However, Moon Knight being announced as a Disney+ property makes me a little wary.

Inhumans and Iron Fist come to mind.

Inhumans make sense as Ms Marvel is an inhuman. I don't know how they can elegantly connect Iron First in a Ms Marvel show.

Marvel TV should be 100% concentrating on creating their own animated world, with top notch animation and stories. And they would have the rights to all the characters from the get go except for long form Spider man stories. I am actually curious if there is any limit to them including Spidey in a long "Avengers" animated film for example. I'm honestly not sure.

Marvel Studios concentrates on the MCU and live action coherent universe (except for what if or some random things like that) and Marvel TV concentrates on a coherent animated universe. Win win for both entities and fans.

The article cites "perceptions in the industry." That means people who don't work for Marvel give their opinion on what's happening. That's not exactly inside information. Their inside source said "the company has several live-action projects at various stages of development." That's kind of the exact opposite of what the thrust of the article is.

That's leaving aside the animated shows, including animated shows targeted at adults, that they have in production.

Will Perlmutter finally be gone for good then? *crosses fingers*

Loeb is hit or miss but I can see him working well with Feige so I think he has a job.

I don't want reboots of the Marvel Netflix content. I want them to be like before. Same tone and grounded, realistic atmosphere. Mature rated, same cast & crew. Not too shiny, not too much CGI, not so perfectly integrated with the rest of the MCU that they lose the things that made them special. You get things like entirely CGI'd streets where anything you see is added by choice. Their streets just feel empty compared to street scenes in the NMCU where you actually feel like you're there.

Marvel Studios has a formula. It works for them, it's popular, and makes billions. But not everything needs to be formulaic and means they're not making money from an audience who wants something different.

I'd rather see the NMCU shows just be placed in the vault rather than be subjected to the Marvel Studios formula.

Definitely give me rebooted--by-Marvel-Studios iterations of characters like the Inhumans Royal Family (Preferably a feature film, to wash out the taste of that horrid television show.) Ghost Rider (Which already seems to be happening. I hope they use Johnny Blaze. Don't get me wrong, Reyes is great, but there's just something about the iconography of the Rider on a fiery motorcycle.) and Cloak and Dagger (Which I'm adamant should've just been a Marvel Studios film to begin with.

Marvel TV has had its time in the sun, and they managed to do some cool stuff, but IMO the time has come for them to just focus on animation or something.

Definitely give me rebooted--by-Marvel-Studios iterations of characters like the Inhumans Royal Family (Preferably a feature film, to wash out the taste of that horrid television show.) Ghost Rider (Which already seems to be happening. I hope they use Johnny Blaze. Don't get me wrong, Reyes is great, but there's just something about the iconography of the Rider on a fiery motorcycle.) and Cloak and Dagger (Which I'm adamant should've just been a Marvel Studios film to begin with.

Marvel TV has had its time in the sun, and they managed to do some cool stuff, but IMO the time has come for them to just focus on animation or something.

Definitely a skeleton on a flaming motorcycle is more iconic than one driving around in a car. After all, he is Ghost Rider not Ghost Driver.

Good. Marvel TV had a good run and I'd argue more hits than misses, but it was time for the weird MCU-but-not thing to end.
Agreed. They've had some good moments. Agents of Shield was enjoyable, but held back by a lot of restrictions and never really got to play with the big toys. Agent Carter was awesome but canceled too soon. I won't even mention Inhumans. Defenders was meh and all the Netflix shows got axed. And the remaining Hulu/Freeform stuff barely matters in the big picture. But with the Disney+ shows they're really going big. It's actually all connected this time around. ;)

Definitely give me rebooted--by-Marvel-Studios iterations of characters like the Inhumans Royal Family, Ghost Rider and Cloak and Dagger.
I'm curious how they'll handle any 'reboots' though. I was thinking they might just retcon some of the shows to an alternate universe. That's what I expect them to do with Agents of Shield season 6-7 anyway. Then they won't have baggage from the show, but it would technically still be "connected".

Edit:
Also, this article basically explains why Agents of Shields never got to play with any of the toys.
The Real Reasons For Marvel's 2015 Split
To clarify: Jeph Loeb (Marvel TV) answers to Ike Perlmutter (Marvel Entertainment).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"