Venom Venom: Let There Be Carnage

Well Sony seem more confident with this movie. which is why they had a fairly open screening.

Yeah, but this series in general doesn't seem very critic safe. This is the very definition of stupid movies critics largely hate that audiences enjoy

I'm curious if this will help Morbius at all or any future Sony Spider-Man Universe movies (eXcluding No Way Home). I still don't think any franchise can get away with poor / divisive critical reception in the long run. Maybe 1, but two? Transformers lost its goodwill because Paramount keep churning out bad movies, to the point when a good Transformers movie came out, it was the lowest grossing movie in the franchise. Pirates of the Caribbean is another eXample. If Carnage is Rotten in RT, thats strike 2 for this cinematic universe. And that just won't help persuade more people to give Morbius and Kraven a chance. And when Venom 3 hits theaters, would people still care that much?

but of course Sony is going to use Spider-Man (Tom Holland) to spike interest but I'd hate to see Tom Holland in a poorly reviewed Sony Spider-Man movie.

A few years ago I don't think I would ever believe I would say I prefer Topher Grace's Venom to Tom Hardy's but I honestly do. For all the issues with Venom in SM3, and I will acknowledge he does look more like the Venom we know in the new Sony version, nothing about this Eddie Brock feels like the one I knew from the comics and such.

I think the key reason for me is taking out Spider-Man from how Eddie becomes Venom. The whole point for me was that Eddie was someone who got his life ruined and blamed Spider-Man and the symbiote feeling similar feelings towards Spider-Man, and them combining with a shared goal of taking him down. I think Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock on paper is a good choice but the way the movie played out, you might as well have used a different character all together.

Still curious to see him take on Carnage but the idea of him taking on Spider-Man feels so weird when this Venom has been built up as a 'guy who wants to do good' rather than someone who is fueled by his hatred for Spider-Man and his desire to take him out.

Can't lie. The possible MCU connections made me go from "eh" to "I have to see this"

I like Eddie from SM3, at least he was a villain, not a hero.

Though the two mistakes of casting Venom with Topher Grace and rushing his arc proved a bad move for the audience, I thought Raimi was pretty faithful to the early Eddie Brock character on paper.

Funny to think but I believe Venom has actually been a hero/anti-hero longer than he's been a villain at this point.

A few years ago I don't think I would ever believe I would say I prefer Topher Grace's Venom to Tom Hardy's but I honestly do. For all the issues with Venom in SM3, and I will acknowledge he does look more like the Venom we know in the new Sony version, nothing about this Eddie Brock feels like the one I knew from the comics and such.

I think the key reason for me is taking out Spider-Man from how Eddie becomes Venom. The whole point for me was that Eddie was someone who got his life ruined and blamed Spider-Man and the symbiote feeling similar feelings towards Spider-Man, and them combining with a shared goal of taking him down. I think Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock on paper is a good choice but the way the movie played out, you might as well have used a different character all together.

Still curious to see him take on Carnage but the idea of him taking on Spider-Man feels so weird when this Venom has been built up as a 'guy who wants to do good' rather than someone who is fueled by his hatred for Spider-Man and his desire to take him out.
Yea somebody here called raimi venom in name only when raimi venom is pretty much the closest comic accurate venom portrayal on screen besides some mannerisms and his body. This venom is a good guy so I don’t see why he would want to go after spiderman .

No way people preemptively bashing Venom 2 because they're mad the first one did so well? Color me surprised :oldrazz:

I don't specifically want to take a jab at the movie, but I do have a bit of a rant. This kind of poster should not be published.

The overall composition can be poor, that happens. All of the elements are clearly rotoscoped from other marketing materials and therefore not really meant to be turned into silhouettes, which results in stiffness. It looks very uninspired but again it can happen ... I guess?
But what really tickles me is that there is too much ignorance of the basic rules of graphic design. Even for a "rushed" job. When you have so few visuals, you can't overlap them with the text. You should also avoid tangeant like that Venom on the bottom of the poster. And that title ... They used a volume version of it that they transformed into silhouettes. You can still guess the thickness effect which, now flattened, can't work. Finally, the whole things is filled with artifacts from automatic vectorization and random aliasing. No cleaning was done.
Everything's so clumsy. I'm 80% sure, or at least I hope, that the person who made this poster is someone who knows someone in production or in the marketing department. It can't be a professional work.

It's not just a problem with this one, movie poster in general is more or less a dead art and that's how it is. But what pains me is that while studios don't want to hire solid artists to do something original from scratch, their designers are just way too amateurish.

Rant over.

Until I see it, I have doubts about the post-credits scene.

Who is saying that?

Nah I was just referring to that tweet someone posted ^ about some random guy saying "a crappy movie is coming out" ha

I'm excited for this, I don't care what anybody says haha.

Don't worry, I am too lol :up:

Well the first movie didn't do so well with critiXs. So :dry:

I'm well aware, haha. That's part of my point though, people say it sucks, and point at its bad RT score, yet it was a huge success financially. And that's what people were/are mad about. And why seemingly, imo, bashing V2 before it comes out
(of course every movie gets preemptively hyped/bashed before it comes out though, so it's not really some big deal or anything. Some people will like it, some won't, nothin wrong with either side)

Nah I was just referring to that tweet someone posted ^ about some random guy saying "a crappy movie is coming out" ha

Don't worry, I am too lol :up:

I'm well aware, haha. That's part of my point though, people say it sucks, and point at its bad RT score, yet it was a huge success financially. And that's what people were/are mad about. And why seemingly, imo, bashing V2 before it comes out
(of course every movie gets preemptively hyped/bashed before it comes out though, so it's not really some big deal or anything. Some people will like it, some won't, nothin wrong with either side)
Yeah well there are boX office success and critical success. Both are needed if Sony wants this franchise to last for a long time, and not reboot again after a couple of films.

The fact that Sony is waiting til Oct 1 or the day before, to lift the embargo doesn't bode well to its potential critical reception. The tweets posted here in this thread don't sound good as well.

Yeah I saw a tv spot this morning saying the same thing about “the universe is expanding”. Interesting to see them mention that in promoting after the rumors we’ve all been hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"