Venom now has a stand alone film, according to the studio.

I don't think Sony would be all that worried about a handful of online Spider-Man fans giving them crap online or not seeing their films anymore than Marvel probably didn't pay mind to people who were upset about Heimdall being played by Idris Elba in Thor. Crucify? That's an exaggeration. What, so the whole of Sony is going to be taken down because of some pissed off Spider-Man fans who are not the general audience?

Prior to FFINO making its way into theaters - and our hearts! - there were an awful lot of posters saying the same types of things. After it flopped the silly fanboys were blamed by Kinberg and others for killing the picture.

The moral of the story is not to pi** off the fans of the material being adapted, as they are the folks you are counting on for the opening weekend numbers and for giving the film legs.

Oh, was it the fanboys that killed the picture? I thought it was just that it was a terrible movie in execution from the start.

Point is that there is a risk of Spider-Man being taken out of the MCU due to potential success of Venom, only to probably be followed up by mediocre sinister 6 or silver sable crossover films or whatever. Nobody wants that.

I find this kind of intriguing actually. Not saying I have much hope for it, but Tom Hardy as Brock/Venom works in theory. But I also have zero interest in this MCU version of Spiderman, so I don't really worry about what this means for Spiderman, maybe I would be worried about how this turns out if I did.

For me, if it's a good movie I'll watch it not gonna put alot more thought into it than that.

If Sony would not pull out of the MCU but only focus on a Venom standalone series that would be too horror-centric for the MCU and maybe even make movies that couldn't fit with the MCU because they're in the future or an alternate timeline, such as Spider-Man 2099, Spider-Girl. Spider-Gwen, Noir, that'd be great. That way we have Spidey in the MCU and good Spider-Man movie franchises not connected to the MCU that we otherwise wouldn't get. It would also allow for Sony to do a SpiderVerse kind of thing if they wanted. Unfortunately I don't see Sony going for that.

Last edited:
I don't think Sony would be all that worried about a handful of online Spider-Man fans giving them crap online or not seeing their films anymore than Marvel probably didn't pay mind to people who were upset about Heimdall being played by Idris Elba in Thor. Crucify? That's an exaggeration. What, so the whole of Sony is going to be taken down because of some pissed off Spider-Man fans who are not the general audience?

If you think that general audience and fans are gonna be receptive of another Spider-man reboot within 20 years especially after Spider-man has been introduced to it's natural enviroment and has interacted with the larger MCU, you are out of your mind...

They embraced the first Amazing film and it did financially well. Batman Begins was received well after Batman and Robin. So yeah, the audience is going to be open to another interpretation of the character.

Both of those situations were that those were the only interpretation of those characters on screen at the time. Its not like begins was in theaters while the Schumacher run was still goinh. Same with Asm.

And as far as we know, Spider-Man isn't in this Venom spin-off. Again, as far as we know and as of now.

Thats true, but i know theres a decent chance sony will toy with the idea.

They embraced the first Amazing film and it did financially well. Batman Begins was received well after Batman and Robin. So yeah, the audience is going to be open to another interpretation of the character.

All those instances were the FIRST reboots of the characters. The FIRST. Not the third!

"Wow, Tom Hardy is gonna be in this? This is great. Tom Hardy's a great actor! Every movie he's ever been in is amazing! No way he'll ever be in a movie that isn't good!"

Says anyone who has never heard of (or actually forgot) This Means War.

For those sick of Sony's portray and interference of Spider-Man, this is the perfect time to act!

Support Homecoming while disregarding everything else at Sony Ent. that isn't, which shouldn't be hard since it's all crap anyway. It'll let Sony know that fans and moviegoers want MCU and no more of Avi Arad and Rothman's bs!

Last edited:
This movie has the potential to be really good , probably not groundbreaking or amazing but none the less it could be really good . They shouldn't try and do it as a straight horror style film . There should be certain aspects that are scary but I think Brock will be more anti-hero than villain . He will probably struggle mentally with the symboite and hold back the rage and hate as much as possible , I'd also love to see this film not take place in New York . That's getting a little played out in action and superhero movies . I actually think Venom could use a little southern gothic touches , make it like the old hulk and werewolf tv show where it's kind of a traveling tortured hero thing. I'd also love for them to take inspiration from Venoms original appearance and Lethal Protector . Don't need black oozing tentacles everywhere. Also don't need a wagging tongue during the whole film

Point is that there is a risk of Spider-Man being taken out of the MCU due to potential success of Venom, only to probably be followed up by mediocre sinister 6 or silver sable crossover films or whatever. Nobody wants that.

Once again, just support the MCU based Spider-man films. Meanwhile Arad and Sony can jump in a lake with that other non-MCU garbage!

Not sure if harry put this here or not

Interesting theory i found on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Spiderman/comments/6cksgq/why_im_deeply_worried_for_spidermans_mcu_future/

Amid the news of Tom Hardy cast as Venom with the official tweet saying "Tom Hardy is Eddie Brock in #Venom, the upcoming film from Sony’s Marvel Universe releasing October 5, 2018 – production starts this fall." I thought this would be a good time to express some concerns i'm having.
Take Amy Pascal's comments from a while ago: “One of the things that I think is so amazing about this experience is that you don't have studios deciding to work together to make a film very often. In fact, it may never happen again--after we do the sequel." That quote sent most of us into a rage storm as she appears to be implying Spider-Man's departure from the MCU.
Kevin Feige even added to this saying "That's as far as it goes for now." when questioned on Spider-Man's MCU future after the 2019 sequel to Homecoming.
Given all this quaint uncertainty about Spider-Man in the MCU from Feige and Pascal, coupled with this new Venom development from "Sony's Marvel Universe" I think we should assume Sony is simply using Marvel to get the brand name back and then pull the rug out from under us, take the character back, and kickstart a spider-verse of Venom and Silver Sable and Black Cat movies that won't connect to Marvel and effectively kill one of the best cinematic incarnations of Spider-Man we've ever gotten. Hence I am deeply worried for Spider-Man's MCU future.

EDIT: Another worse case senario, which i've kinda noticed by the suspicious amount of "hammer hitting you over the head" MCU references in Homecoming is that Sony ends up using Tom Holland's spidey in their own Sony-verse trying to trick the average viewer it's the same one from the MCU when it isn't connected at all.

This guy does put some pieces together.

Wonder if they'll keep Holland and then spin the other stuff off as a way of using the MCU to legitimize it and give them credibility. Sort of like "Never Say Never Again" in the James Bond World.

Last edited:
Honestly, best way to prevent them from pulling Spidey out of the MCU is to go out and see Spider-Man: Homecoming in droves and support the film to such success Sony cannot risk taking him out of the MCU.

Honestly, best way to prevent them from pulling Spidey out of the MCU is to go out and see Spider-Man: Homecoming in droves and support the film to such success Sony cannot risk taking him out of the MCU.

Agreed. And also ask Feige to collaborate on the project together.

^ they're to greedy to realize it's a benefit to them both.

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

I don't think Sony will be compelled to take Spidey away from the MCU unless those crappy sideshow films are a success. The key is not to support those at all.

Sony won't pull Spider-Man out of the MCU, they have no need to. They can have their cake and eat it too, they'll just wait for the deal to run out and then try to renegotiate one with better numbers of their end.

Yes, if we basically boycott Venom, there's no way Holland will leave the MCU. There's no need to boycott Silver and Black...no one wants to see that anyway.

If you have friends that are looking interested in Venom when it comes out, just educate them about why they shouldn't see it and hope for the best. That movie CANNOT make much money without substantial support from our fan base. Venom is not like Batman or Hulk, he needs our help to draw a crowd.

My personal theory is that films are basically a bluff/veiled threat to Disney. Sony Pictures is collapsing and they want to sell themselves for as much as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"