Venom Venom's Box Office Thread

I don't think Feige will accept Venom into the MCU film canon. At best it would be loosely connected like the Netflix shows.

The Sony films are not from Marvel. They are in association with Marvel. It says so right on the logo.

Feige will be adding thousands of characters to the MCU over the next few months, so he has lots of choices regarding who to add and who to dump in his connected universe. I would prefer he welcome Reynolds Pool into the MCU and keep Hardy's Venom out, but in either case I would expect no fan backlash.

I've never even paid attention to any Marvel logo. I was replying in context to B's post: if they think that the Marvel logo significantly helps Venom's to sell tickets then SONY should emphasize it even more in their future Spider-Man (and villains) trailers so they don't have to pay too much attention to script and filming.

Worldwide I can’t say since im no expert on international markets

Venom just had a 105m global weekend and even if it adds just 1.25 times this weekend, it still gets to 130m after it's current haul of 380m. So that's almost 510m without China & Japan. China will bring at-least 95m and Japan will contribute at-least 10m.

So the final total is going to land around 615m. But Venom can still score as high as (660-670)m when all is said and done because I'm being a bit cautious and pessimistic with the multiplier.

Last edited:
Yup... Fan4stic 4 broke all box office records...:crso:

Fantastic 4 was tanked by both critics & fans. Venom has been tanked by critics, but the fan/general audience seem to be a mixed bag, very Justice League'esq reviews.

Not to mention, Venom has a direct connection & relationship with one of the top 3 most popular superheroes ever & one of the most prominent current MCU members in Spiderman. So much so that questions constantly put to the actors/directors involved revolved around potential crossovers between Tom Hardy's Venom & Tom Holland's Spiderman long before the movie had even released.

The Marvel logo & the very important words of 'In association with' carry a bad place of a lot more weight with this Venom movie because of Spiderman's direct involvement with the MCU.

Fantastic 4 was tanked by both critics & fans. Venom has been tanked by critics, but the fan/general audience seem to be a mixed bag, very Justice League'esq reviews.

Not to mention, Venom has a direct connection & relationship with one of the top 3 most popular superheroes ever & one of the most prominent current MCU members in Spiderman. So much so that questions constantly put to the actors/directors involved revolved around potential crossovers between Tom Hardy's Venom & Tom Holland's Spiderman long before the movie had even released.

The Marvel logo & the very important words of 'In association with' carry a bad place of a lot more weight with this Venom movie because of Spiderman's direct involvement with the MCU.

From RT- 88-89% of the audience liked Venom. That is NOT a mixed reaction from the general audience. It's a mixed reaction in this forum. Which is a very niche audience which comprises of Venom fans (people who actually read the Venom comics) and casual Spidey fans who are NOT Venom fans.

Venom is successful largely because Venom is one of the most popular Marvel characters period.

Monday Domestic Box Office:

Venom $2,835,694

From RT- 88-89% of the audience liked Venom. That is NOT a mixed reaction from the general audience. It's a mixed reaction in this forum. Which is a very niche audience which comprises of Venom fans (people who actually read the Venom comics) and casual Spidey fans who are NOT Venom fans.

Venom is successful largely because Venom is one of the most popular Marvel characters period.

88% of 28,000 voters are positive, and that's not really a good sample size of audiences. The mixed reactions are not exclusive to this forum.

Monday Domestic Box Office:

Venom $2,835,694

Venom on Track to Beat Justice League & Logan Box Office

It looks like Venom may beat Justice League and Logan at the box office.

The Box Office strength of this movie continues to amaze :up:
I didn't like the movie, but I can't deny the amazing box office success. I wonder how the sequel and other spin-offs will perform, especially Morbius. Venom is a very popular character, but Morbius doesn't have that same recognition.

Do you think Venom will show up in the Morbius film at all?

I didn't like the movie, but I can't deny the amazing box office success. I wonder how the sequel and other spin-offs will perform, especially Morbius. Venom is a very popular character, but Morbius doesn't have that same recognition.

Do you think Venom will show up in the Morbius film at all?

No, unless they do something like put an after credits clip of Venom 2 in Morbius. Hardy is only on a 3 film day at this point. But will there be easter eggs, like maybe Morbius worked at one point at the Life Foundation? That is likely.

I could see Tom Hardy showing up in a post credits scene. Sony execs and producers have a history of losing their minds and shoving more things into a sequel when they get overconfident. Not saying it WILL happen, but I can imagine them scrambling to shove Venom in there somewhere.

I think the movie starts filming sometime in February?

Venom = money. This is crazy, I can't believe it has a chance to cross 600M WW.

I could see Tom Hardy showing up in a post credits scene. Sony execs and producers have a history of losing their minds and shoving more things into a sequel when they get overconfident. Not saying it WILL happen, but I can imagine them scrambling to shove Venom in there somewhere.

I think the movie starts filming sometime in February?

Correct. Last word was sometime in Feb for Morbius. Venom 2 no word on any release window.

My only fear is that the success of Venom won't give Sony any incentive to make improvements. I think they need to find better screenwriters and directors to work on these projects.

Is there a reason Avi Arad has so much control over these films? It's not like he has a good track record.

That's 88% of only only 28,000 people, the IMDb rating is 7.1/10 of 87,000 people so there's nearly 3 times the sample size of the general audience.

Man of Steel is generally considered to have received an overall mixed reaction from the general audience however leaning more to the positive side than the negative, it's rating on IMDb is also 7.1/10 but that's after 625,000 votes.. it would be unlikely for Venom to still have a rating of 7.1 or higher after 600k reviews as if anything the average typically goes down rather than up the more & more people vote/review movies.

Why does it feel like less and less ratings are being added to the audience scores these days? Am I going crazy?

7.1 is not a mixed reaction, either. Something in the low 6's would indicate a mixed reaction.

I'd say anything from the low 6's to low 7's would be considered mixed, just on opposite ends of the scale. Anything below 6 entering the territory of being considered bad & anything above 7.5 being considered good.

Just at a quick glance superhero movies that seem to be constantly divisive in these forums anyway fit in that scale theory - Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 2 & 3, Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2 all fall into that rating range.

I'd say anything from the low 6's to low 7's would be considered mixed, just on opposite ends of the scale. Anything below 6 entering the territory of being considered bad & anything above 7.5 being considered good.

Just at a quick glance superhero movies that seem to be constantly divisive in these forums anyway fit in that scale theory - Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 2 & 3, Amazing Spiderman 1 & 2 all fall into that rating range.

But it doesn't really work for films in general. Most what we would call "good films" on IMDB have high 6 or low 7 scores. Captain America: The First Avenger is hardly a divisive movie, and has IMDBs lowest MCU score. Spider-Man 1 &2 (Raimi) has a 7.3 on IMDB. Anything over 7 is fine.

But it doesn't really work for films in general. Most what we would call "good films" on IMDB have high 6 or low 7 scores. Captain America: The First Avenger is hardly a divisive movie, and has IMDBs lowest MCU score. Spider-Man 1 &2 (Raimi) has a 7.3 on IMDB. Anything over 7 is fine.

The First Avenger isn't exactly revered by even die hard fans, it's like Incredible Hulk (which is the lowest rated MCU film from what I can see with 6.8), it's aight. I probably wouldn't go as far as to call it a good movie, but I also wouldn't say I hated it either. For most typical people, neither of those 2 films would rank in their top MCU films.

Although having said that just browsing some of these films ratings, it's going to be hard for me to convince you or you convince me of anything other than I/you already believe. Some of the user ratings on both IMDb & RT make no sense, some have high ratings yet flopped massively at the BO & likewise some had poor ratings yet still made a boat full of cash.

So what I take all this to mean is......Venom will be in Jumanji 2....or the Jumanji cast in Venom 2. ;)

So what I take all this to mean is......Venom will be in Jumanji 2....or the Jumanji cast in Venom 2. ;)

The Rock versus Venom?
SOLD! First showing must!
And Karen Gillan is in there too? Where can I preorder the dvd?

My only fear is that the success of Venom won't give Sony any incentive to make improvements. I think they need to find better screenwriters and directors to work on these projects.

Is there a reason Avi Arad has so much control over these films? It's not like he has a good track record.

I honestly don’t know. No one likes him. Not even pascal. It’s so weird. Saw a video on how Sony was basically angry he was responsible for rebooting the franchise. But why’d they listen to him? Does he have dirt on them? It’s weird.

Reactions: ehh
I honestly don’t know. No one likes him. Not even pascal. It’s so weird. Saw a video on how Sony was basically angry he was responsible for rebooting the franchise. But why’d they listen to him? Does he have dirt on them? It’s weird.
That is really strange... there must be some reason why he has so much power over there. I think he was mad about Matt Tolmach getting credit on the Venom movie as well from the leaked e-mails.

He has to be hitting close to retirement, right? lmao

That is really strange... there must be some reason why he has so much power over there. I think he was mad about Matt Tolmach getting credit on the Venom movie as well from the leaked e-mails.

He has to be hitting close to retirement, right? lmao

He seems insane tbh. I don’t understand. Yea he’s like 70. He’s a very bitter person and tries to control everything. Idk why sony feels the need to give him any attention. He didn’t boost the 2000s Spider-Man films that was all raimi. He almost destroyed the brand which is hard to do for a character like Spider-Man.

Venom is good. I like it but I can tell he probably might screw that up to. I honestly don’t get how he has power when multiple people complained and left cause of his meddling with films that caused them to cancel plans. It’s like he has dirt on people or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"