Venom Venom's Box Office Thread

Hot damn this is impressive. It seems like each week we gotta revise where this thing will land. $600 million: Sony would have been happy. $700 million Sony wold have been ecstatic. $800+ million, everyone's gettin' raises lol. Where will this thing likely finish now? $850M?

I read that the latest tally was $822 mil. It's got a legitimate shot at Homecoming's WW box office.

I don't have much of a side, really. For me, this movie was definitely bad, but I've also been disappointed with Spidey's portrayal in the MCU. If I had to choose I'd still prefer to keep him in the MCU a little while longer because I want to see the character interact with the F4.

I'll see if Sony can start to regain my confidence with Into The Spider-Verse and vice-versa with Marvel Studios with Far From Home.

But yeah, if this movie surpasses Homecoming at the BO and Sony takes the character back it will definitely bring out the salt and backlash.

I think Amy Pascal and Sony realize that the one of the reasons Venom is so successful is because of the MCU’s Midas touch. They won’t screw around with the MCU. In fact, that’s why they LENT Spider-Man to them.

Believe me when I say that Sony would GLADLY LET FEIGE borrow Venom if he so desires. I don’t foresee Sony wanting to take Spidey back, simply extending their agreement with Marvel to retain some rights in order that they can profiteer from it.

Venom is likely to finish with at least $850 million WW and a maximum ceiling of $888! Venom is pretty much done in North America and will finish below $220 million domestically since Venom’s screenings got decimated in recent weeks.

I think Amy Pascal and Sony realize that the one of the reasons Venom is so successful is because of the MCU’s Midas touch. They won’t screw around with the MCU. In fact, that’s why they LENT Spider-Man to them.

I doubt it. you can't throw out MCU praise for a film they didn't produce just because the box office was good.

Venom had no sly marketing ties to the MCU or Spider-man, it was strictly its own thing.

LOL Venom made a lot of that money because people knew it won't be yet another copy paste MCU film. It was refreshing in its messy bun wildly entertaining nature

I don't think it will catch Homecoming. It is going to drop 50% or more internationally each week from here onward and it is basically done in the US at this point. I can't see it crawling all the way to beat Homecoming. I am seeing something just over 850.

Yeah, the success of this movie had absolutely nothing to do with the MCU. Nothing anyone ever saw or heard, particularly from trailers, led to any indication whatsoever that this was even loosely related or connected to the MCU. This made it's money entirely on it's own.

And also, I don't understand why people think Sony would be so desperate to snatch Spidey out of the MCU and throw him into the 'Venom-verse.' I think they're happy to let Spidey stay in the MCU and continue doing their own thing. If they could make a Venom origin story that does gangbusters without Spidey, easily/arguably the most important time/film to include Spidey, why would they desperately want/need him for sequels? Obviously including Spider-man in any Venom/Spidey-character films is an obvious positive and a huge win, but I just don't see how/why they'd be so desperate or eager for him after successfully pulling off this movie

LOL Venom made a lot of that money because people knew it won't be yet another copy paste MCU film. It was refreshing in its messy bun wildly entertaining nature
What’s so refreshing about this movie? It delivers nothing new except for venom

Yeah, the success of this movie had absolutely nothing to do with the MCU. Nothing anyone ever saw or heard, particularly from trailers, led to any indication whatsoever that this was even loosely related or connected to the MCU. This made it's money entirely on it's own.

And also, I don't understand why people think Sony would be so desperate to snatch Spidey out of the MCU and throw him into the 'Venom-verse.' I think they're happy to let Spidey stay in the MCU and continue doing their own thing. If they could make a Venom origin story that does gangbusters without Spidey, easily/arguably the most important time/film to include Spidey, why would they desperately want/need him for sequels? Obviously including Spider-man in any Venom/Spidey-character films is an obvious positive and a huge win, but I just don't see how/why they'd be so desperate or eager for him after successfully pulling off this movie

Well it had the Marvel label. Most people don’t know about what goes behind the scenes with studios or cares. Even Kevin Feige said this.

I remember hearing that they made this movie PG-13 because they want Venom to crossover with Spider-Man. Could mean pulling him out the MCU, could mean making Venom a part of the MCU, or multiverse traveling (which isn’t far fetched with the Spider-Verse movie).

Well it had the Marvel label. Most people don’t know about what goes behind the scenes with studios or cares. Even Kevin Feige said this.

I remember hearing that they made this movie PG-13 because they want Venom to crossover with Spider-Man. Could mean pulling him out the MCU, could mean making Venom a part of the MCU, or multiverse traveling (which isn’t far fetched with the Spider-Verse movie).

Fan4stic had the Marvel label too.....I know no one wants to give credit to SONY but ,come on.....:ebr:

Well, I think the temptation now has to be there for Sony to have their two big cash cows (Spiderman and Venom) clash and make a "VS" that would, in their eyes, equate to a billion $$ in BO dollars.

Fan4stic had the Marvel label too.....I know no one wants to give credit to SONY but ,come on.....:ebr:

Did you forget about the other not so fanastic films? Fan4stic didn’t bring anything new to the table.

Well potentially involving Spider-man anywhere down the line, whether Holland's MCU Spidey or a different one, would most likely necessitate a PG-13 rating. It's doable, but it would be extremely difficult to produce and release a rated R Spider-man movie. And for all we know, Sony could have told Marvel they'd keep it PG-13 incase Feige ever wanted to borrow the character for a film or two, or they could've asked Sony to do that. Either way, I don't think there's quite as much 'tug-of-war' going on between these two studios as some people might think ... but I could also be wrong about that :shrug:

Exactly ha. So many films/franchises have that Marvel label -- like X-men, FF (hell, even Deadpool and Logan) -- that people clearly knew had nothing to do with the MCU. So that means absolutely nothing that this had that label. Anyone who thought this was a real MCU film, especially after seeing trailers, is, I'm sorry to say, incredibly uninformed -- even for a GA member

But it doesn't surprise me that now that this movie WAS successful, some people still want to try to attribute that to the MCU/Feige and what they've done lol. Despite track records (looking at Sony), BOTH studios have produced good (relatively speaking or not) and successful films, and I think people need to start accepting that.

Well, I think the temptation now has to be there for Sony to have their two big cash cows (Spiderman and Venom) clash and make a "VS" that would, in their eyes, equate to a billion $$ in BO dollars.

Oh absolutely. Definitely not saying there aren't potentially big reasons for Sony to want to use Spidey -- the pros/benefits to that are easy to see. Only that they may not be quite as desperate or anxious to use/need him as some people may think. Adding him could only be a positive for their Universe, but if they could successfully pull of the Venom origin film without him, there's no reason for them to necessarily need him for any of their films... (even though I'd of course prefer him to be in potential films like Kraven or the like)

Exactly ha. So many films/franchises have that Marvel label -- like X-men, FF (hell, even Deadpool and Logan) -- that people clearly knew had nothing to do with the MCU. So that means absolutely nothing that this had that label. Anyone who thought this was a real MCU film, especially after seeing trailers, is, I'm sorry to say, incredibly uninformed -- even for a GA member

But it doesn't surprise me that now that this movie WAS successful, some people still want to try to attribute that to the MCU/Feige and what they've done lol. Despite track records (looking at Sony), BOTH studios have produced good (relatively speaking or not) and successful films, and I think people need to start accepting that.

The Marvel label has appeared in film trailers well before the MCU. The Blade Trinity trailer had it in full view way back in 2004 after Spider-Man and X-Men popularized it.

Fan4stic may have been a Box Office failure but that’s the third F4 film released in theaters. The first film that was released in 2005 was successful enough to get a sequel. In fact, all of the Marvel films that failed at the Box Office seem to have been sequels, spin-offs, and reboots of poorly received films. New Marvel properties put on film seem to have always been successful with the exception of Howard The Duck.

Not saying that many people thought it was in the same universe as the Avengers films but many think it’s by Marvel and that’s enough to attract interest. The MCU made the Marvel label even more powerful. People are even more willing to give a new Marvel property a shot. Similar to how Chris Nolan’s name on posters and trailers. Audiences don’t think his movies are all set in the universe but it’s by him and that gets their attention. All of his movies after The Dark Knight have made at least hundreds of millions.

Last edited:
I think some of you forgotten that since Spider-Man is in the mcu most people will think this is connected. I mean come on. I had people in the theater ask if he’ll be in the next avengers movie. I’m sure a good amount think this venom is mcu connected

I think some of you forgotten that since Spider-Man is in the mcu most people will think this is connected. I mean come on. I had people in the theater ask if he’ll be in the next avengers movie. I’m sure a good amount think this venom is mcu connected
Here's the thing with that theory, if people thought Spiderman was in this, made the mistake to watch it, there wouldn't be the kind of repeat viewing that leads to a 800+ million box office gross world wide.

Justice league had every major DC character and peaked in the 600's.

I don't know why Venom did well but I think there's more to it than the link to the MCU. Heck Antman and the Wasp are in the middle of the MCU and didn't do the same amount of business. (As well as Dr Strange, Thor TDW, Captain America Winter soldier etc)

Here's the thing with that theory, if people thought Spiderman was in this, made the mistake to watch it, there wouldn't be the kind of repeat viewing that leads to a 800+ million box office gross world wide.

I don't know why Venom did well but I think there's more to it than the link to the MCU. Heck Antman and the Wasp are in the middle of the MCU and didn't do the same amount of business. (As well as Dr Strange, Thor TDW, Captain America Winter soldier etc)

Venom is also very popular and hasn’t been done right in theaters yet. And yes I’d argue that venom is more popular than the likes of ant man and doctor strange .

If people have any doubts about that now, then they'll never buy in lol. Venom's iconography the last twenty years has definitely been in the heavyweight class imho. Now we see it all coming together in the comics and cinema. Great times ahead for Venom.

Big Picture here aside from fan squabbles on Twitter, Sony is a huge winner here obviously, but so is Marvel in all things Venom that have nothing to to do with films. That in itself is potentially massive.

Both sides are winners and losers depending on how one chooses to look at it. :cwink:

Last edited:
Not saying that many people thought it was in the same universe as the Avengers films but many think it’s by Marvel and that’s enough to attract interest. The MCU made the Marvel label even more powerful. People are even more willing to give a new Marvel property a shot. Similar to how Chris Nolan’s name on posters and trailers. Audiences don’t think his movies are all set in the universe but it’s by him and that gets their attention. All of his movies after The Dark Knight have made at least hundreds of millions.

This is a pretty crazy theory. By that line of reasoning, you're saying every film with a Marvel label in front of it should technically be at least baseline successful, or do Venom type numbers? And also by that reasoning, no X-men movie should have ever been a failure? ... People/GA may not be as in the know as people like us are, but they definitely know the different between an MCU/Avengers film and not.

And the Nolan thing is also pretty crazy. Not saying his name doesn't carry more weight after TDK trilogy, bc it definitely does, but that's absolutely not the reason his movies post-Batman made millions. They make that money because they all range from great to spectacular. He was also already a very well-respected filmmaker before then, if not necessarily mega-mainstream. And his 2 movies since made significantly less than TDK and TDKR

I don't wanna be rude, but these are spectacularly ridiculous statements/sentiments ... 'Thinking Spider-man was in this' doesn't lead to $800M+, plus good WOM, plus repeat viewings... PLUS record-breaking numbers in territories that opened MUCH later. Do people think viewers in China thought 'Spider-man was in this' by the time it opened in their country? Obviously not, and it did gangbusters there, so that argument is instantly rendered moot by that alone.

And to both of the bold sentences, I firmly believe that first one is hyperbole when I hear it. I believe people may have heard one or two people saying this, but definitely not a significant amount. Those kind of statements scream bs to me, pardon the rudeness, and they also only ever come from people who had negative feelings about this movie ... I've never heard one single person IRL say anything at all about thinking this movie was connected to the MCU ... And even if they do, that has absolutely nothing to do with it's current success, considering THIS film had absolutely nothing to do, or no shared characters, with the MCU.

And to the second sentence, after viewing this film, there's absolutely NO reason to come out thinking, or even suspecting Venom is or will be connected to the MCU. There wasn't even one microscopic morsel included in the film to indicate this ... Especially Brock's line about his disbelief of Aliens.

Now this doesn't preclude potential MCU involvement for Venom in the future, which they could always figure out a way to do, but it does stop me from buying the argument 'People just thought this was connected to the MCU, so they were interested..'

Exactly. Honestly, anyone trying to say these numbers and Venom's success had anything to do with Marvel or the MCU, is really just sad. Or blatant straw-grasping

If people have any doubts about that now, then they'll never buy in lol. Venom's iconography the last twenty years has definitely been in the heavyweight class imho. Now we see it all coming together in the comics and cinema. Great times ahead for Venom.

Big Picture here aside from fan squabbles on Twitter, Sony is a huge winner here obviously, but so is Marvel in all things Venom that have nothing to to do with films. That in itself is potentially massive.

Both sides are winners and losers depending on how one chooses to look at it. :cwink:

Absolutely. Great perspective and well said :up:

The strong legs for this film pretty much tells the tale here. Numbers don't lie. Word got out almost immediately for the uninitiated that this isn't part of the MCU, but it still delivered a super solid 2.65 multiplier in NA and exploded overseas. This films success speaks for itself. People don't need to understand it, just accept it.

This is a pretty crazy theory. By that line of reasoning, you're saying every film with a Marvel label in front of it should technically be at least baseline successful, or do Venom type numbers? And also by that reasoning, no X-men movie should have ever been a failure? ... People/GA may not be as in the know as people like us are, but they definitely know the different between an MCU/Avengers film and not.

And the Nolan thing is also pretty crazy. Not saying his name doesn't carry more weight after TDK trilogy, bc it definitely does, but that's absolutely not the reason his movies post-Batman made millions. They make that money because they all range from great to spectacular. He was also already a very well-respected filmmaker before then, if not necessarily mega-mainstream. And his 2 movies since made significantly less than TDK and TDKR

I don't wanna be rude, but these are spectacularly ridiculous statements/sentiments ... 'Thinking Spider-man was in this' doesn't lead to $800M+, plus good WOM, plus repeat viewings... PLUS record-breaking numbers in territories that opened MUCH later. Do people think viewers in China thought 'Spider-man was in this' by the time it opened in their country? Obviously not, and it did gangbusters there, so that argument is instantly rendered moot by that alone.

And to both of the bold sentences, I firmly believe that first one is hyperbole when I hear it. I believe people may have heard one or two people saying this, but definitely not a significant amount. Those kind of statements scream bs to me, pardon the rudeness, and they also only ever come from people who had negative feelings about this movie ... I've never heard one single person IRL say anything at all about thinking this movie was connected to the MCU ... And even if they do, that has absolutely nothing to do with it's current success, considering THIS film had absolutely nothing to do, or no shared characters, with the MCU.

And to the second sentence, after viewing this film, there's absolutely NO reason to come out thinking, or even suspecting Venom is or will be connected to the MCU. There wasn't even one microscopic morsel included in the film to indicate this ... Especially Brock's line about his disbelief of Aliens.

Now this doesn't preclude potential MCU involvement for Venom in the future, which they could always figure out a way to do, but it does stop me from buying the argument 'People just thought this was connected to the MCU, so they were interested..'

Nah lil buddy. Like you keep saying the fans are in the minority. So I’m sure that people don’t know it’s a separate universe or anything. I’m sure they think that Spider-Man will show up and so will venom. Some people did but I’m freaking sure a lot of people think this is connected to Tom Holland spidey. Of course YOU wouldn’t think so cause ur such a hardcore Sony fan but the GA aren’t to keen on the whole separate universe, Sony thing. They see a Spider-Man villain they’ll most likely think spidey will show up sometime. Doesn’t mean that’s why the movie made money but I’m sure the GA thinks holland will show up

I’m saying the band is part of the equation when it comes to the success of a new Marvel franchise. Of course being a major success does depend on how much the audience likes the film. If audiences disliked Venom it probably would have been a moderate success because of the brand.

None of the X-Men films have ever bombed at the Box Office, as of yet. The Marvel films that failed at the Box Office are these:

Howard The Duck
Elektra
Incredible Hulk
Punisher: War Zone
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Fan4stic

Nearly all follow-ups of films with poor reception. If the audience really dislikes the last film then the brand name loses its magic. That’s what happened over at the DCEU. The brand name is what helped BvS make all that money but it failed to help Justice League.

Last edited:
Exactly. Honestly, anyone trying to say these numbers and Venom's success had anything to do with Marvel or the MCU, is really just sad. Or blatant straw-grasping

Absolutely. Great perspective and well said :up:

I didn’t say the success had anything to do with the mcu did I? I said most people probably think it’s in the mcu but I don’t think that’s why it did good . Mcu movies can suck to. Don’t put words in my mouth lol

I’m saying the band is part of the equation when it comes to the success of a new Marvel franchise. Of course being a major success does depend on how much the audience likes the film.

None of the X-Men films have ever bombed at the Box Office, as of yet. The Marvel films that failed at the Box Office are these:

Howard The Duck
Elektra
Incredible Hulk
Punisher: War Zone
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Fan4stic

Nearly all follow-ups of films with poor reception. If the audience really dislikes the last film then the brand name loses its magic. That’s what happened over at the DCEU. The brand name is what helped BvS make all that money but it failed to up Justice League.

Bvs and JL i’d Argue is worse then venom. I’d also argue that venom is more accurate to the comic then bvs was. Bvs was a tired attempt to play catch up but failed

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"