Venom Venom's Box Office Thread

60-70 mil OW would be a fair haul for this movie.

I don't think this film will be a box office disaster, but that also depends on how much Sony spent on this film.

If the film is somehow connected to the MCU they would have announced it by now to boost their brand. I could see a Spidey cameo or mention in the film, but not Tom Holland's Spidey.

I'll take the way under on the 65m+ OW, this will be a boxoffice disaster.

100M seems VERY low.

Well, it was said from the start that it wasn't going to be a big budget film. For comparison, it's still much bigger than Deadpool's budget which was 58M and close to Deadpool 2 wihch was 110M.

What's important about this, is that with that budget is more than likely than Venom is going to make money, which means it's probably gonna get a sequel.

If the film is somehow connected to the MCU they would have announced it by now to boost their brand. I could see a Spidey

At the moment, it is certainly not connected to the MCU. The only way that is happening is if Marvel decides to work out another deal and retcon Venom into their universe... which I do not see happening.

Per Deadline, the budget is 100 Million.

That's pretty low considering the average budget for modern superhero movies. Even the first Raimi film was $139M, and that is not counting inflation.

I understand that the first Deadpool movie cost around $58M, but didn't the director and Ryan Reynolds have to contribute additional funds to the film?

I understand that the first Deadpool movie cost around $58M, but didn't the director and Ryan Reynolds have to contribute additional funds to the film?

Ryan Reynolds paid for the screenwriters to be on the set 'cause Fox didn't think they were needed.. Dont think that would've made that much of a difference on the budget to be honest.

I'd laugh so hard if Venom made more money than Homecoming. I'm actually rooting for the film. If it's entertaining I hope it makes alot of money at the box office.

I think anything north of 40 million has to be considered a HUGE success for opening wknd!

I'm pegging this to do fairly better than the last F4. Probably better overseas numbers than domestic.

Oh I'm sure it'll do better than Fant4stic.

Ant-Man 2015 numbers would be the goal I suppose? 57 OW - 180 DOM and 519 WW?

Or perhaps a bit less WW and a bit more front loaded? Like Thor 2011 with 65M OW - 181 DOM and 449 WW?

‘Venom’ To Course Throughout The World With $175M Debut As Bradley Cooper-Lady Gaga’s ‘A Star Is Born’ Tunes Up For Long Tour

It has been a while since there’s been a superhero movie and so Sony/Tencent’s Venom based off the Marvel property arrives with enough anticipation that will drive its opening weekend to a $160M-$175M global start with domestic headed toward an October opening record of $60M-$65M at 4,250 theaters plus Imax, besting the month’s previous high set by Warner Bros.’ Gravity ($55.7M) in 2013.

Even if the Rotten Tomatoes score for Venom, which hasn’t registered yet, comes in between 50%-70% fresh, the notion is that Venom can still maintain a solid opening given the heat that many are seeing on tracking, plus it’s a fresh superhero concept. In the states, the Ruben Fleischer-directed movie is trending quite well with Hispanic and African American audiences as well as older males in definite interest and first choice. Some are betting that Venom bows to $70M, but that’s wild number hinging on whether the movie winds up swooning critics and mass moviegoers. Venom‘s stateside comps are more in the range of the Marvel properties such as Ant-Man ($57.2M), Captain America: The First Avenger ($65M)and Thor ($65.7M) when they first began their cinematic journeys. Sony reports that 26% of the moviegoing audience call themselves Venom fans versus 46% for Spider-Man, 35% for Wonder Woman, and 32% for Ant-Man. Previews begin Thursday at 5PM in U.S./Canada. Other hurdles impacting older male business this weekend for Venom is that it’s the first weekend of MLB playoffs, plus UFC fight.

Overseas Venom will sink its fangs into 59 markets, with three majors still to come (France, Japan and China; a date in the latter still TBD). Industry sources are seeing a $100M+ opening with some as high as $110M. This assumes some big bows in Asia, notably Korea where they like their Marvel.

Foreign comps to consider are Ant-Man And The Wasp, Spider-Man: Homecomingand Doctor Strange. Like-for-likes are hard to come by given two of those Marvel pics are from the Disney stable. However, Doctor Strange’s top plays outside of China were Korea, the UK, Brazil, Russia and Germany which hews pretty closely to how Marvel superhero fare fares. AM&TW outside China similarly did its best business in Korea, the UK, Mexico, France and Australia. Homecoming topped out (ex-China) in Korea, the UK, Brazil, Mexico and Japan. The offshore cumes on those films are: AM&TW ($405.3M), Doctor Strange ($445M) and SMH ($546M).

Hardy has an overseas following largely aligned with his Chris Nolan pics, as well as The Revenant and Mad Max: Fury Road – the latter also raged in Korea and the UK. There’s further familiarity due to his TV roles in international favorites Peaky Blinders and Taboo.

The actor participated in Brazil Comic-Con with a live Skype from the Atlanta set of Venom to the fan event. He was also on Fantastico, Brazil’s top-rated TV show with a viewership of 15M. In London, he drove the host of Stars in Cars, Germany’s version of Carpool Karaoke, around town. In France, he took part in TF1’s Saturday evening entertainment show 50 Minutes Inside while also attending a fan event in Russia. Ahmed further appeared on the UK’s Jonathan Ross Show.

For their international digital campaign, the Sony folks partnered with Talenthouse for a global fan art program. Artists, designers and illustrators from around the world were invited to create one-of-a-kind artwork for Venom. Thousands of entries came in, the highest number of submissions in Talenthouse history. Hardy selected five pieces of art and one of the artists was invited to meet the cast and attend the premiere in LA.

Buzzfeed also hosted a Venom takeover. With Buzzfeed Tasty and Ghetto Gastro’s Jon Gray and Malcolm Livingston, members of the Michelin star chef collective from the South Bronx, Sony created the first ever black and white Tasty videos featuring custom recipes for Venom donuts, cheesecake and chocolate dipped potato chip s’mores. The videos were released across Buzzfeed’s social channels, earning millions of views.

Those numbers would be impressive.

If it debuts to $175 WW over the weekend, that's a very solid start. Those are likely sequel numbers.

Yup. $175 WW could recoup the budget in one weekend, or at least come close.

Just to put that opening weekend in perspective, $175 M WW would put it as the 6th highest grossing superhero opening weekend above Iron Man 3.

1. Infinity War: 258 M
2. Avengers: 205 M
3. Black Panther: 202 M
4. Avengers AOU: 191 M
5. Captain America CW: 179 M
6. Iron Man 3: 174 M
7. BvS: 166 M
8. TDKR: 160 M
9. TDK: 158 M
10. Spider-man 3: 151 M

I think it'll come in well below that number, around the 130 range.

Just to put that opening weekend in perspective, $175 M WW would put it as the 6th highest grossing superhero opening weekend above Iron Man 3.

1. Infinity War: 258 M
2. Avengers: 205 M
3. Black Panther: 202 M
4. Avengers AOU: 191 M
5. Captain America CW: 179 M
6. Iron Man 3: 174 M
7. BvS: 166 M
8. TDKR: 160 M
9. TDK: 158 M
10. Spider-man 3: 151 M

I think it'll come in well below that number, around the 130 range.

These numbers are not worldwide opening weekends. Infinity War made 640M it's opening weekend worldwide. The numbers you posted are the domestic opening weekend numbers. It's projected for a 60-65M domestic opening weekend, which is relative to the numbers you posted. It would put Venom in the low 40's for highest grossing CBM opening weekend, domestically.

Just to be clear, $175 million estimate is for the global opening. Domestic will be in $60 million range according to that article.

EDIT: What Joe said :funny:

Holy cow - completely misread that :funny:

Nevermind, I feel a lot more sane now.

60-65M domestic opening weekend for Venom is still impressive, I remember that Green Lantern had 53 mil. opening weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"