Villains we need to see in this Batman solo franchise

Melling is all about that short screen time where he steals the little scene he’s in and moves along. So I agree that he’s the perfect casting for Tetch.
It would be cool if Marino does some work on him and applies some warts and scars to give him a kind of leprechaun "witchy" look

It would be cool if Marino does some work on him and applies some warts and scars to give him a kind of leprechaun "witchy" look

Now your making me want Mellings Mad Hatter as the main villan lol.

I agree.

I know this i really off topic but I've been wanting to ask you this for a while now.

What are your thoughts so far about Barry Keoangh Joker ?

Do you think he should have a supporting role or be the main villain in one of the sequels ?
I’ll start by saying that I really enjoyed his scene with Batman but it absolutely made no sense to include it. It makes Batman look totally stupid and I can’t believe I’m agreeing with John Campea but he’s right when he said that Joker took a look at one page of that folder for like 10 seconds? And he suddenly knows his exact motives? This Joker is the world’s greatest detective! Give him a cowl. But everything else about the scene was well performed, written and shot. Batman is a little shook by this guy so I’m assuming he did something horrible like mutilating a body or something grotesque. Just a really uneasy feeling in the air.

As for Barry. Let me say this flat out. WHAT are ppl talking about with these Heath Ledger comparisons? I really don’t get it. I don’t see it. I don’t hear it.

Is it fair to call him the best or worst? No. But the scene showed you enough about the character without shoving it down our throats with descriptive backstory details or what’s exactly going on his mind. He is already my favourite depiction of Joker (even over Heath) because he ticks all the boxes for me. So far. I have to add that in there because there may be contradictions in sequels. But right now, he doesn’t seem like a guy with a plan. He seems like the demon controlling a young man’s body, a description I laid out here many moons ago when discussing my ideal Joker. Or how I see the clown prince of crime. He’s just this evil, random, manipulative killer who is enjoying the moment he’s having right there in that cell. He’s a troll. He doesn’t have human emotions. That’s how I would do it if I was writing a script. And that randomness lends itself to a minor role. Someone who comes and goes. He causes trouble and chaos then he vanishes. That’s all that’s needed of him IMO.

So I don’t think he’ll ever be the main villain in these movies nor does he need to be. It’s kinda perfect for Barry Keoghan who is such a little unpredictable menace lol.

I also have no problem with the Joker/Riddler scene. I think it flows pretty well in the movie because I like seeing Edward whining while watching the news, and we hear it play inside Arkham so you best believe Joker and others are hearing about Batman’s heroism. Joker’s first line is something like “isn’t that terrible, him...raining on your parade like that...tsk tsk tsk”. LOL it’s so classic Joker. His laughter is better in the deleted scene, sure. But I still like it there in the final film. It just tells me that he doesn’t have ONE go-to laugh like Jared Leto. He won’t be a one trick pony.

He doesn’t need to be in a sequel if he’s in the Arkham show. Maybe a cameo in the next movie? Unless Arkham’s season ends with a breakout...then we might see Joker and Riddler out and about in 2025. But I’ll just assume he’ll still be locked up in the sequel and get out in the third movie. But not as a main villain.

I’ll start by saying that I really enjoyed his scene with Batman but it absolutely made no sense to include it. It makes Batman look totally stupid and I can’t believe I’m agreeing with John Campea but he’s right when he said that Joker took a look at one page of that folder for like 10 seconds? And he suddenly knows his exact motives? This Joker is the world’s greatest detective! Give him a cowl. But everything else about the scene was well performed, written and shot. Batman is a little shook by this guy so I’m assuming he did something horrible like mutilating a body or something grotesque. Just a really uneasy feeling in the air.

As for Barry. Let me say this flat out. WHAT are ppl talking about with these Heath Ledger comparisons? I really don’t get it. I don’t see it. I don’t hear it.

Is it fair to call him the best or worst? No. But the scene showed you enough about the character without shoving it down our throats with descriptive backstory details or what’s exactly going on his mind. He is already my favourite depiction of Joker (even over Heath) because he ticks all the boxes for me. So far. I have to add that in there because there may be contradictions in sequels. But right now, he doesn’t seem like a guy with a plan. He seems like the demon controlling a young man’s body, a description I laid out here many moons ago when discussing my ideal Joker. Or how I see the clown prince of crime. He’s just this evil, random, manipulative killer who is enjoying the moment he’s having right there in that cell. He’s a troll. He doesn’t have human emotions. That’s how I would do it if I was writing a script. And that randomness lends itself to a minor role. Someone who comes and goes. He causes trouble and chaos then he vanishes. That’s all that’s needed of him IMO.

So I don’t think he’ll ever be the main villain in these movies nor does he need to be. It’s kinda perfect for Barry Keoghan who is such a little unpredictable menace lol.

I also have no problem with the Joker/Riddler scene. I think it flows pretty well in the movie because I like seeing Edward whining while watching the news, and we hear it play inside Arkham so you best believe Joker and others are hearing about Batman’s heroism. Joker’s first line is something like “isn’t that terrible, him...raining on your parade like that...tsk tsk tsk”. LOL it’s so classic Joker. His laughter is better in the deleted scene, sure. But I still like it there in the final film. It just tells me that he doesn’t have ONE go-to laugh like Jared Leto. He won’t be a one trick pony.

He doesn’t need to be in a sequel if he’s in the Arkham show. Maybe a cameo in the next movie? Unless Arkham’s season ends with a breakout...then we might see Joker and Riddler out and about in 2025. But I’ll just assume he’ll still be locked up in the sequel and get out in the third movie. But not as a main villain.

See, I disagree that Joker shouldn't ever be a main villain here. I think he needs to be hanging out and about on the sidelines for most of the trilogy, but then do his thing and play his real hand in the homestretch of the third film. And there's actually a rather big reason why I think it has to play out this way, beyond the obvious "He's the Defacto Batman Baddie" answer.

After listening back to both the commentary for the film and the commentary he did for the deleted Arkham scene, it really struck me that Reeves keeps talking about how the guy we're seeing in Arkham now isn't yet the Joker. He's got all the pieces and makings and is well underway to inventing that moniker, but he's not there yet.

Which obviously sounds strange, seeing as how he clearly already looks like the Joker, he has that established history with Batman already and he already has that brilliant mind and skill to emotionally manipulate others around him. Sure as hell sounds like the Joker to me, right?

But according to Reeves, he's not there yet. As he has been saying as much for over a month now, and the fact that he brings it up so damn much really feels like Reeves has a very specific reason for why he feels Joker hasn't fully realized himself yet. So what's missing?

Answer: The scale.

Between what Reeves has said about the "Unseen Prisoner" (I'll just call him John Doe for now) and the fact that he also brought up a fair bit how Batman hadn't ever really faced anything as massive a threat to Gotham City as the Riddler before the events of the films, it sounds to me like John Doe is currently seen by the public, the authorities and Batman as just a particularly brutal serial killer with some notable intelligence in reading people.

And think back to what Doe tells Riddler at the end of the film; "Don't be sad. You did so well." While obviously the whole bit about a "comeback story" seems like an obvious suggestion for Ed to start thinking of new plans for whenever he gets out of Arkham, I have to think that John Doe is thinking about how to start branching out and really showing this city what he can do too.

So I think we'll see Joker throughout the trilogy, perhaps rotating between being Bruce's Hannibal Lecter and a recurring support player for the other Rogues Gallery's schemes and keeps raising up his schemes a bit... until we get to the end and Joker goes all out.

Plans for an Arkham spinoff series, Joker teasing Riddler with a "comeback story."

I think Reeves is setting the stage for an ASHOSE type of movie down the road.

I agree, the stage is being set for an ASHOSE type story at some point.

It wasn't much, but Reeves did talk a little bit in the Director's Commentary about Bruce's heritage as a member of the Arkham family in this continuity, confirming it came straight out of the Earth One comics, but also noting that this reveal puts Bruce's sanity/struggles with mental health into question.

It'd make a lot of sense for Joker to eventually take over the asylum and Bruce having to endure an ASHOSE-type story as a test of his sanity at some point in this trilogy.

See, I disagree that Joker shouldn't ever be a main villain here. I think he needs to be hanging out and about on the sidelines for most of the trilogy, but then do his thing and play his real hand in the homestretch of the third film. And there's actually a rather big reason why I think it has to play out this way, beyond the obvious "He's the Defacto Batman Baddie" answer.

After listening back to both the commentary for the film and the commentary he did for the deleted Arkham scene, it really struck me that Reeves keeps talking about how the guy we're seeing in Arkham now isn't yet the Joker. He's got all the pieces and makings and is well underway to inventing that moniker, but he's not there yet.

Which obviously sounds strange, seeing as how he clearly already looks like the Joker, he has that established history with Batman already and he already has that brilliant mind and skill to emotionally manipulate others around him. Sure as hell sounds like the Joker to me, right?

But according to Reeves, he's not there yet. As he has been saying as much for over a month now, and the fact that he brings it up so damn much really feels like Reeves has a very specific reason for why he feels Joker hasn't fully realized himself yet. So what's missing?

Answer: The scale.

Between what Reeves has said about the "Unseen Prisoner" (I'll just call him John Doe for now) and the fact that he also brought up a fair bit how Batman hadn't ever really faced anything as massive a threat to Gotham City as the Riddler before the events of the films, it sounds to me like John Doe is currently seen by the public, the authorities and Batman as just a particularly brutal serial killer with some notable intelligence in reading people.

And think back to what Doe tells Riddler at the end of the film; "Don't be sad. You did so well." While obviously the whole bit about a "comeback story" seems like an obvious suggestion for Ed to start thinking of new plans for whenever he gets out of Arkham, I have to think that John Doe is thinking about how to start branching out and really showing this city what he can do too.

So I think we'll see Joker throughout the trilogy, perhaps rotating between being Bruce's Hannibal Lecter and a recurring support player for the other Rogues Gallery's schemes and keeps raising up his schemes a bit... until we get to the end and Joker goes all out.
Third act in the third movie would be the time for Joker to step up. I’m good with that. God I wanna see and hear these features.

tumblr_inline_o68o5rLOCp1shq624_1280.jpg

would love to see this grounded versions of Clayface and Freeze in the movies

Last edited:
I wouldn't be disappointed in a realistic Clayface I guess but I would be a bit down for Serial Killer Clayface, I know that's the original intention of the character but a guy who can look like anyone just using that talent to kill a movie crew is kinda lame.

I think a really really cool idea would be to full horror with him, even more then Riddler. Someone mentioned in the vein of "Men" he'd still need a legitimate motivation but I think this world can support that kind of surrealism

All this talk about Mob Bosses I suppose no one but me wants to see George Dyke
aka The GORILLA BOSS.
:D

288-796-310-1-batman.jpg

With the sequel officially announced:

Clayface
Bane
Hush (only because Reeves likes him)
Mr. Freeze
Victor Zsasz

With the sequel officially announced:

Clayface
Bane
Hush (only because Reeves likes him)
Mr. Freeze
Victor Zsasz

I hope this is just a list of villains you like and not that you want them all in the movie.

I think Jett’s Clayface tweet was just him thinking of a cool villain that Reeves can tackle. I’d LOVE to see it happen. Marlo using prosthetics to disguise himself. An actor playing a wide variety of characters hiding in plain sight. But for now I’m not going to hold my breath.

I wonder if Matt will use the 70’s as an influence + No Man’s Land? Gonna be one hell of an interesting 2 years trying to figure out which newbies are coming into the sequel. Fingers crossed for Silver St Cloud.

I know Reeves is interested in Hush, but he’s way too similar to this Riddler and the vengeance / sins of the father theme, so if they use Hush, I hope they do something else with it, misdirecting the audience. Like maybe have it be Bruce underneath (revealed later to be Clayface), a frame job orchestrated by the Joker to get Bruce thrown in Arkham.

As for Clayface’s motives, I like the idea of him just being a lonely guy (either extremely unlucky in the looks department, or disfigured. They could even combine him with Croc and his skin condition) who wants to be other people to experience affection and acceptance, maybe something Bruce Wayne takes for granted, the prince of Gotham who actively withdraws himself from society, something that drives Clayface up the wall.

Contrasting this could be Joker and his own disfigurement, who’s the complete opposite, not caring at all about appearances anymore. All that matters is finding a way to be happy, to smile, even if that means embracing whatever sick stuff makes you happy, like murder, and messing with Batman (or ironically, getting him to confront his issues). A twisted take on the importance of mental/emotional health, with Joker being the one to get Batman to finally see a shrink.

Last edited:
I know Reeves is interested in Hush, but he’s way too similar to this Riddler and the vengeance / sins of the father theme, so if they use Hush, I hope they do something else with it. Like maybe have it be Bruce underneath (revealed later to be Clayface), a frame job orchestrated by the Joker to get Bruce thrown in Arkham.

As for Clayface’s motives, I like the idea of him just being a lonely guy (either extremely unlucky in the looks department, or disfigured. They could even combine him with Croc) who wants to be other people to experience affection and acceptance, maybe something Bruce takes for granted.
I’ll be very disappointed if he lands on Hush. I’m sure I’ll adjust because I think Matt will do something wild with the character and probably improve it. But god damnit man, i hope that doesn’t happen.

Selina and Ivy take care of the orphans that lost their parents in the flood at Robinson Park. Still unsure about Freeze and how could he fit in the power grab. Harvey as the new D.A who is allied with Bruce to help the city.

Last edited:
Oh Selina ain’t coming back to Gotham until the story is well underway. I think she’ll want to control the east end and really take advantage of the situation, to the point where Batman’s not going to like who she’s become. I bet she experiences some heavy **** in her time away from Gotham and returns with a different outlook. Something will drive her out of whatever city she’s been living in (perfect for a mini series). Otherwise why come back to disgusting Gotham right?

Let Poison Ivy control Robinson Park with her damn hippies.

I hope this is just a list of villains you like and not that you want them all in the movie.

I mean, you have a point, but Reeves did just prove remarkably able to include and use a lot of villains in the movie. Arguably four different name ones, depending on how you count Catwoman. . .

Here’s some classic Universal Monsters inspiration. Sounds like a Batman villain we may know...

This is from The Last Warning
“Five years after a theater was closed following a murder of one of its actors during a performance, a producer decides to solve the mystery by again staging the play with the remaining cast. During the repeat performance another murder occurs. Eventually it is discovered that the murders were part a ploy devised by the stage manager to sabotage the production”.

Sounds fine for an episode of a Batman TV show. Not sure it's compelling enough for a feature film. Reeves is all about point-of-view and having the protagonist "transform," so you need a villain that is going to put Bruce on some sort of personal emotional journey. A vindictive actor out for revenge is not gonna get you that, methinks. Plus, I do wonder if Reeves is gonna jump right back into the "serial killer" pool, especially with the power grab tease at the end of the first movie.

I'm thinking either mob war with hired hitmen (Bane, Deadshot, Croc, Zsasz), or a villain with a more tragic angle (Freeze, Phantasm).

If they do use Clayface, I wonder if he'll be in more of a lackey role. A gifted actor turned hitman who is helping pick off competing mob members. The horror potential is quite high with him, and would be great to see on screen.

Going right back to the serial killer well might be a bit redundant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"