Villains who switched rogues galleries

DC didn't term rogues gallery it's old school english. I'm a marvel fan (sometimes) and I use the term cause it's really the most appropriate one. It works for anyone.

I agree with Corp, Flash was the first comic to coin the phrase rogue gallery as far as I can recall.

I never said anything about coining it, just that that's the first time I heard it.

Oh, spare me this "I'm a Marvel/...and I'm a DC" dribble, I'll refer to any collection of franchised villains as a Rogue Gallery.

Is NO ONE really going to mention DOOM? The Fantastic Four antagonist turned Alpha-Level threat to the Marvel Universe? That guy, what people won't shut up about?

Spare me your "spare me"s. :cmad:

As for Doom, I don't think he's ever not been considered an FF villain. That's like saying Loki's no longer a Thor villain because he's the guy the Avengers formed to defeat. He's still a Thor villain first and foremost, just as Doom is and will always be an FF villain first and foremost.

Tell that to all those people who won't shut up about Doom in a future Avengers film.
"When is Disney getting the rights back to use Doom? Why can't Doom be used in a sequel Avengers? I want to see the Avengers go up against Doom..."

Doom like Loki has a standard nemesis but are just far too cool not to be world wide threats. I have no issue with doom and the avengers throwing down.

Let me say that "rogues gallery" is a DC term...no marvel fan refers to any pantheon of villains as That.....

Then what are you supposed to the call collection of villains a Marvel hero fights?

No, rogues gallery is a general term that refers to a collection of villains, its not DC specific:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RoguesGallery

This where the term started:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogues_gallery

DC can't copyright something that was used in police stations in the 1850s.

Really I have heard many villain collections that have been called a rogues gallery, not just from DC comics, likely because that sounds better and less awkward then "collection of villains a hero fights". I have heard many fans refer to Spider-Man's rogues gallery or the X-Men's rogues gallery and so on.

Doom like Loki has a standard nemesis but are just far too cool not to be world wide threats. I have no issue with doom and the avengers throwing down.
I don't either in theory, but for the movies I'd prefer to see Kang, Ultron, the Masters of Evil, and a whole mess of others before Doom's turn comes along.

Let me say that "rogues gallery" is a DC term...no marvel fan refers to any pantheon of villains as That.....

I grew up reading exclusively Marvel (probably haven't read more than 25 DC comics in my 38 years of living) and I have always referred to Spider-Man's enemies as his rogue gallery. That was the term that Marvel used, if I recall correctly, in his early annuals when they would do pinups of his enemies near the back of the book.

Responding to the topic of this thread, Kingpin sticks out the most to me for switching from S-M to Daredevil.

I don't either in theory, but for the movies I'd prefer to see Kang, Ultron, the Masters of Evil, and a whole mess of others before Doom's turn comes along.

That I agree with. I was just saying in theory I have no issue with it. Loki is a better avengers villain anyway. Now that said if on their second movie they wanted to go with a masters of evil that had say doom, loki, red skull and some others? That could fly.

That would be fine, but I'd still prefer a traditional Masters of Evil that's literally evil mirror versions of the Avengers or their personal nemeses.

Anyway, back on topic: Would the Punisher count? He technically switched from Spider-Man to Daredevil, insofar as he's considered a villain at all, and he tends to be more associated with Daredevil than Spider-Man now.

Punisher counts. I'm amazed no ASM writer has ever just had peter track down beat the hell out of and take him to jail. Better to keep him with daredevil cause every time Spider-Man allies with him it just makes me cringe.

That would be fine, but I'd still prefer a traditional Masters of Evil that's literally evil mirror versions of the Avengers or their personal nemeses.

Anyway, back on topic: Would the Punisher count? He technically switched from Spider-Man to Daredevil, insofar as he's considered a villain at all, and he tends to be more associated with Daredevil than Spider-Man now.

Not really Punisher is more treated like an anti hero then a villain nowadays, he hasn't switched rogues galleries so much as switched from being a villain who fights other heroes, to mainly just fighting criminals on his own. He's a protagonist now, rather then an antagonist. When Hawkeye joined the Avengers, he switched sides, rather then switching rogues galleries.

Dude, the Punisher's still totally an antagonist whenever he meets up with Daredevil. Spider-Man he can generally work with, but Daredevil tries to take a billy club to his face every time he sees him.

Dude, the Punisher's still totally an antagonist whenever he meets up with Daredevil. Spider-Man he can generally work with, but Daredevil tries to take a billy club to his face every time he sees him.

Which is kinda funny, because from their interactions I get the feeling that Frank sees Matt as the closest thing he has to a friend.

Matt certainly doesn't reciprocate that feeling, though. Which kind of makes their relationship make sense, when you think about it. Daredevil's usually the aggressor in their meetings, and Frank usually goes fairly easy on him if he can.

Well I mean frank is insane, so his perspective on things is a bit skewed.

I always figured that Frank saw in Matt the potential to be just like him. Like Matt was just a step away from being the Punisher.

Frank still spends most of his time as a protagonist in his own title, killing criminals, rather then as an antagonist in other titles fighting heroes.

Frank got himself put in prison in order to help Matt bust out, and Matt was only too happy to play along with Frank's plan(Frank taking him hostage), in order to protect his secret I.D.

Was that in Bendis' or Brubaker's run? I remember it being awesome. I also remember Matt basically being like "This doesn't change anything, you're still a sick ****".

Brubaker took over with the prison arc, but I don't recall Matt saying anything like that to Frank at all, and i've read that arc quite a few times.
edit: I mean, if Matt had said that, surely he would have ko'd Frank and left him in prison, as far as i recall, he was quite pleased Frank was there to help.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"