Guardians of the Galaxy Vin Diesel is Groot!

Also would appreciate if a mod could update the thread title to include Vin.

This is all well and Groot, I just hope the performance isn't wooden

What are all these tree puns fir? I think yew are barking up the wrong tree.

I'm hoping someone can help me understand this....

So Vin is being a good amount of money and is getting all of this attention from this role when he'll only be saying one simple line (I am Groot)?

If that's the case, then talk about the easiest paycheck in the world.

No, he's getting money and attention for emoting many different variations on one line, while also doing mocap work for the character.

lol @ "Vin Diesel" and "emoting" being in the same sentence.

I still think he will do a Benedict cumberbatch and voice more than one character

vin diesel is groot!

The star of the fast and the furious and riddick franchises will lend his voice to groot in marvel's live-action "guardians of the galaxy," rounding out the team that includes star-lord (chris pratt), rocket raccoon (bradley cooper), gamora (zoe saldana) and drax (dave bautista).

Featured in four of the six movies in the fan-favorite “fast & furious” franchise, diesel has helped the series gross over $2 billion at the box office; and will reprise his role in “fast & furious 7.” diesel’s most recent film, “riddick,” the third film in the franchise that has so far earned a cumulative $267.3 million across the globe, debuted this year at the top of the box office. In addition to lending his voice to several video games, diesel’s received great acclaim for his voice work in the celebrated animated film “the iron giant,” directed by brad bird.

In the far reaches of the marvel cinematic universe, an unlikely cast of characters including peter quill, gamora, drax, groot and rocket raccoon must join forces to defeat a cosmic force of epic proportions. Directed by james gunn, the live-action "guardians of the galaxy" will take fans to new corners of the marvel universe when it hits theaters august 1, 2014, but in the meantime stay tuned to marvel.com for the latest news as it breaks, including official casting, first looks and more!

http://marvel.com/news/movies_tv/20...oice_groot_in_marvels_guardians_of_the_galaxy

i am groot!

I like how you're bumping each characters thread, smart move right before the trailer drops. :up:

The CGI for Groot is nothing but astounding, though I didn't expect any less. It is Marvel we're talking about. :D

I love this quote James Gunn had about Groot in his Total Film interview today. It's just bang on with my perception of the character:

I love Groot so much I get teary eyed when I think of him sometimes.

Essentially, all the Guardians start out the movie as bastards - except Groot. He’s an innocent. He’s a hundred percent deadly and a hundred percent sweet. He’s caught up in Rocket’s life, really.

^ I think that's just inherently the best way to approach the character because he's so different from the rest of the group. And I'm sure him being the last of his kind is a factor they can use to play on the sympathetic aspect his character will most likely have.

I love this. Groot is looking amazing. I doubt we'll hear his voice until the film. Caesar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes style.

I love this. Groot is looking amazing. I doubt we'll hear his voice until the film. Caesar in Rise of the Planet of the Apes style.

I'd be fine with that. Some things are better left a mystery until the movie is released. :word:

Quill: What are you?
Groot: I am Groot
Quill: Your name's Groot?
Groot: I am Groot
Quill: So you are a... groot?
Groot: Groot
Quill: ............................ Is that a raccoon on your shoulder? With a gun?

I hope that Vin doesn't have all his voice sessions in a day.

^Well, in fairness there are only so many ways you can say "I Am Groot" ha ha.

I have to admit, Groot just might end up being my favorite character. The others all seem to have a certain brash irreverence to them, while Groot so far seems to be more level-headed and even innocent.

I've been wondering about whether this team might have characteristics of a typical "5-man-band" template (a la TV Tropes), and it occurs to me that they don't seem to have a typical "smart guy" archetype. It would be hilarious (and somewhat comic-accurate) if they made Groot into that.

*Milano crash lands on a planet*
Quill: Looks like our main engines are fried. I don't suppose any of you knows how to patch 'em up?
Groot: I am Groot! *Goes to repair engines*
Quill: That's what I like to hear!

tumblr_mgo0hti3FU1qbvh80o1_1280.jpg

Last edited:
So did Vin Diesel not do performance capture for Groot after all? In his red carpet interview for the Guardians world premiere, he talked about what it was like to come in and do a character that was just all voice and how Gunn had put these paragraphs next to his words "I am Groot" explaining what each of these meant. He also said how it was different to using his whole body in a performance.

So maybe he didn't do motion capture after all, as originally suggested?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"