Visual inspiration for the Green Lantern film

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
Go ahead, it can be anything from any run or even a completely different movie. For me starship troopers mixed with ashes to ashes would be amazing

Obviously a lot from the Reis run visually tol

Tron Legacy, Man Of Steel, Captain Marvel, The Force Awakens and the final battle of Endgame.

Put that **** in a blender.

I like the Starship Troopers and Tron: Legacy suggestions the most. I'm thinking also Aliens.

A stark look similar to Moon and 1961. Dour dark simple color palette and make it an intensely cerebral film. It would be incredible to see a voyage of the inner self type GL film with minimal spectacle. Keep the focus on his adjustment to the ring and how he stays away from having a complete mental breakdown in understanding more about his powers, his role and the surrounding immense universe. Harsh contrasts, sharp off kilter angles with dim hazy front lighting effects. It should be a simple, driven and focused one man performance in a robust pulpy dialogue noir-type piece but the dialogue should also have that knife-like edgy nature. Once the sheer up close visual intensity is displayed and you see Hal completely adjusted to his role as he remains pensive on what his life will be going forward, then then you make it a much larger scope in the sequel. I think this would be a tremendous and unique start to a new superhero franchise.

Interesting approach. I like the idea of Hal having to adjust to the ring and the knowledge it gives. Like Dave Bowman staring into the Monolith in 2001. GL definitely needs to be more grounded. As the Ryan Reynolds film showed, it can very easily lose its way because of all its fanciful ideas.

Totally. Maybe my idea is a little extreme but a more personal movie to focus on building the character up would be cool then engage in the spectacle all out in the sequel

Totally. Maybe my idea is a little extreme but a more personal movie to focus on building the character up would be cool then engage in the spectacle all out in the sequel
Maybe GL needs an extreme approach to work. I don't know if WB would go that extreme, go very minimal, as I think they would want to make a family crowdpleaser- though that's what they tried to do last time and it didn't work...Serious sci-fi that's still "blockbuster" like Interstellar or The Martian could be the way to go. Treat it seriously and make it a character study of Hal Jordan. Hal's actually a complex guy. We've seen him depicted with trauma, doubt, mania etc. Though they might just go for light and bright a la Aquaman.

"Edge of Tomorrow" has a good look and feel as well.

Hal Jordan in the Justice League "New Frontier" animated movie made a good impression. They took time to show him as a complicated character and there were some good visuals for GL too.

I'm really not digging the visual suggestions for the film... some seem to be inspired by Joker.

I want something colorful, like the Tan/Sharp/Van Schiver artwork, and take inspiration from Daniel Mindel's lensing on The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker.

I get that comparison but it’s hard to compete with Star Wars so maybe making a visual comparison might not be the best. Plus maybe people would avoid it if they felt like it was Star Wars lite

I'm really not digging the visual suggestions for the film... some seem to be inspired by Joker.

I want something colorful, like the Tan/Sharp/Van Schiver artwork, and take inspiration from Daniel Mindel's lensing on The Force Awakens and The Rise of Skywalker.

I think a problem was that 'colorful' was what Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern wanted to be and look how that turned out. These more gritty realistic suggestions are to try and counter that, to treat it more seriously. To give it some realism and depth. If they do get it together and GL is this expansive big blockbuster movie like Star Wars or Star Trek or even stuff like Oblivion, then I'd be all for it. But it's a tricky balance. They need someone to build it from the ground up. Not a director for hire like Martin Campbell was.

They can still have good visuals, but just treat the characters seriously and give them some complexity. It would only help, so that it's not just fancy effects.

I get that comparison but it’s hard to compete with Star Wars so maybe making a visual comparison might not be the best. Plus maybe people would avoid it if they felt like it was Star Wars lite

I don't think it would be so bad if it did have an aesthetic similar to Force Awakens and Rise of Skywalker...as long as the mythology is done properly as well.

Last edited:
Yeah I reckon you made a good point about the last movie so people are thinking of something more police procedureey

It's got to get the world-building and hero's journey in the story incredibly right. The visuals can build from there. It can't afford to be an empty spectacle again. I am sure there would be a lot of debate within WB as to the approach, what angle to take with this.

I mean, whose hero journey is this? Hal's? John's? Jessica's? Is it going to be adult and serious like Training Day? Lethal Weapon? Buddy cop? Or like Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings?

That film was a spectacle? :D:

I think a problem was that 'colorful' was what Ryan Reynolds' Green Lantern wanted to be and look how that turned out. These more gritty realistic suggestions are to try and counter that, to treat it more seriously. To give it some realism and depth. If they do get it together and GL is this expansive big blockbuster movie like Star Wars or Star Trek or even stuff like Oblivion, then I'd be all for it. But it's a tricky balance. They need someone to build it from the ground up.

GL has never been gritty and procedural-lite. I get wanting to move away from the visuals of the 2011 film, but you can do that without making it dour and 180 degrees removed.

I’m surprised WB isn’t high on a John Stewart GL film after seeing Black Panther and Captain Marvel do so well. Are there no directors of color that really want the gig? Or is WB not casting their net wide enough?

I feel like you can still do a starship troopers type film with a zany look. It doesn’t have to be full Grey and gloomy

I’m surprised WB isn’t high on a John Stewart GL film after seeing Black Panther and Captain Marvel do so well. Are there no directors of color that really want the gig? Or is WB not casting their net wide enough?
I don't think WB want it to just be about a John Stewart GL film, though I can see it being a diverse Corps with John, Jessica, and Simon, maybe Kyle etc. along with the rest of the Corps. They can explore the themes of diversity and differences with all the different Lantern Corps and the Emotional Spectrum, as well as the different planets and races etc.

I feel like you can still do a starship troopers type film with a zany look. It doesn’t have to be full Grey and gloomy
It would be nice to have some edge to it, some satire about modern society. Not just being some generic blockbuster. Star Wars Force Awakens, though it looked nice, kind of played it safe visually and thematically.

Yeah you could definitely whisky up the Star Wars formula a bit. I mean, joker took off and they don’t have to go that extreme but I think going a bit more in depth is the best way to out marvel marvel

I hope they go for a Star Wars meets Guardians of the Galaxy visual inspiration

With the announcement of the TV series, I wonder what it will mean for the movie. Also how different or similar they will be.

With the announcement of the TV series, I wonder what it will mean for the movie. Also how different or similar they will be.

Yeah it makes me wonder then if there will even be a film now because of this TV series

My prediction is no. To be honest I’m not even sure the tv series will launch. I mean Wonder Woman and the Aquaman telly shows barely made it past one ep right.

but maybe yes one day eventually but a long way away

My prediction is no. To be honest I’m not even sure the tv series will launch. I mean Wonder Woman and the Aquaman telly shows barely made it past one ep right.

but maybe yes one day eventually but a long way away

But that really was in the old days though. These days, they say they are making something like "Titans", "Doom Patrol" or "Watchmen", they make it. These streaming apps have changed things a lot. Plus the superhero landscape has changed too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"