Visualizing the World of Superman

Discussion in 'Upcoming Superman Solo Movie' started by TheComicbookKid, Jul 29, 2019.

1. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

One of the things I always envied about Batman's movie outings is the way they made sure to make Gotham distinctive(even in Batman/Robin). So no way could Burton's Gothic Batman exist in Nolan's Gotham.

For the next version of Superman, I really hope they try to make Metropolis and the other parts of the mythos distinctive.

Starting with a more "City of the Near Future" Metropolis.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Hello2016 likes this.
  2. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

3. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

Bizarro World
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lobo and Willi Berg like this.
  4. Willi Berg On The Run

I like seeing different parts of Metropolis- the modern city skyscrapers as well as areas like Suicide Slum, the Steelworks, Little Bohemia etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#4 Willi Berg, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  5. Willi Berg On The Run

Smallville:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fortress:
    [​IMG]

#5 Willi Berg, Jul 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    BobJM likes this.
  6. Jochimus Autobot Slacker

A B13-styled/DC Universe Online-influenced Metropolis is definitely on the list of things I want to see on the big screen.

7. Willi Berg On The Run

They really should push it further than before. Mammoth, hyperrealistic. The biggest city with sci-fi/fantastical touches.

I like the pics you posted in the other thread:

Hello2016 likes this.
  8. BobJM Uncle Charlie

For Metropolis, my big factors into nailing the look are to make sure the skyline looks modern and sprawling, and also clean! Metropolis should almost feel like the shining city on a hill. It doesn't need to be overly futuristic, but it should look like its on the cutting edge of technology.

I'd enjoy a fully-realized Metropolis too--more than just the Daily Planet and/or Lex Luthor. Show me Suicide Slum, or Centennial Park. Think on a scale similar to The Dark Knight--know imagine the audience uncovering more and more of the city through the eyes of Lois Lane as she chases a story, meeting with characters as lowly as Bibbo in Suicide Slum to Lex Luthor's penthouse in downtown New Troy.

And as for Krypton, I'm all game for a colorful, ultra hi-tech version that's been captured in Birthright. No more Donner crystals. Snyder's was a step in a better direction, but still didn't nail it IMHO.

Willi Berg likes this.
  9. Vaibow Registered

I want Metropolis to look like it could exist today, yet be the first of its kind.

In that it has some great rebuilt areas, sleek, modern buildings that dwarf the city around it. It has great transport, it still respects its heritage and has kept iconic landmarks, such as the DP building, bamks etc, library.
    They also are very green, with vegetation on buildings, walls etc. lots of park space. Think of Dubai scattered around atlanta.

Also, the arival of superman, his alien tech, the destruction it bought, could very well pave way for lex corp to erect their new designs.

Willi Berg likes this.
  10. old city outlaw Registered

11. David H. We’re not owed anything.

12. Silvermoth Krakoan native

I would love to see a return of the Fleischer era Superman

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Willi Berg likes this.
  13. Willi Berg On The Run

14. elgaz Registered

I see Metropolis as a more futuristic version of New York, and that's the aesthetic I'd like them to be looking towards. And with bright, bold, vibrant colours - the antithesis of Gotham.

A student created this concept of a futuristic NY and it's not far off what I would envisage.

[​IMG]

Willi Berg likes this.
  15. elgaz Registered

An alternative version.

Of course, the largest skyscraper overlooking the city would belong to Lexcorp.

[​IMG]

BobJM and Willi Berg like this.
  16. Willi Berg On The Run

I like the look of a clean, futuristic look for Metropolis that hides a dark underbelly underneath. To better highlight the contrast.

It is the "City of Tomorrow" that tries to hide the poverty of Suicide Slums. Where LexCorp, S.T.A.R. Labs and villains like Toyman experiment on people and with technology that create villains like Parasite and Metallo. Then there's the criminal underworld of Intergang and Morgan Edge etc. So Metropolis looks nice on the outside but on closer inspection is corrupt. Metropolis has advanced technology so a lot of the crime is more sophisticated.

Here are some depictions of Metropolis in Superman: The Animated Series & Justice League: Unlimited:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#16 Willi Berg, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    I Am The Knight likes this.
  17. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I get wanting to see a more fantastically unique looking Metropolis but, I've never cottoned to the "City Of Tomorrow"/futuristic Metropolis, any more than I cotton to versions of Gotham City that look like they were set designed to within an inch of their life. Again... Just my druthers.

And I also think that while of course Metropolis has it's issues, especially those created whole cloth by the likes of Luthor or Intergang. Still, I can't say that the shiny exterior that hides depths of corruption is the way to go either.

I always go to Denny O'neil's take on Gotham and then apply it to Metropolis.

Gotham City is a big East Coast American city that is starkly economically depressed, think Detroit since the early 1980's at least. It's political ecology is as bad as anything that happened in Daley Sr.'s Chicago. It's police force is as corrupt and compromised as anything in New Orleans and it's got a violent crime rate like NYC from the 1970's through to the early 90's. Gotham is NOT about the buildings and the "Gothic" touches or the amount of gargoyles. Gotham is Manhattan, New York City below about Union Square on the coldest hours of the wee morning around 3:00 am. You're walking down a street far from a subway station when suddenly... You hear quick footsteps behind you! This is the town that down every alley and on every corner there's some kind of tragic circumstance or potential for violence that can challenge our hero night in and night out. Batman is the man changed forever by random violence, forcing him to become a man that is on a sisyphean task trying to impose order on a city that is always a hare's breath from chaos.

Metropolis is also a big, yet still booming North East U.S. city. A combination of factors has led the city to be an economic powerhouse even as most large N. East cities deindustrialized ages ago. This economic prosperity isn't exclusive to the rich. The city WORKS, even for the majority of it's working poor. Yes, there's places like Suicide Slum in Metropolis but those are overall outliers. Yes, Lexcorp has it's cozy relationship with local and state governments, but no one would think to call the political leadership of the city as being either overly corrupt or ineffectual (in terms of mundane issues that arise in any large city...). And the populace knows how lucky they are to be living in this modern American city that in many ways is a throwback to the post war growth years of the late 1940's to the 1980's. Metropolis is walking along the great lawn of Central Park on the clearest, most comfortable spring day and taking in the idealized surroundings. The mighty sky scrapers of the city frame the greenery of the park. Children run around playing and singing as retirees sit on the benches and feed popcorn and bread to the birds and squirrels. Order, and a belief in it are the, um... order of the day in the city. Exciting, tragic and sometimes literally Earth shattering events happen there all the time but they are thought of as the aberration, not the status quo people live with. And thus, again, this is a perfect city for the hero that comes in, stops all the shenanigans and then allows life to continue on as it was before.

Again, these are my preferences only.

Willi Berg likes this.
  18. Willi Berg On The Run

While Metropolis may be a nice place to live, I think there would be a lot of criminal activity occurring, but just the more "sophisticated" kind. Such as LexCorp's experiments with cloning or testing on humans (Parasite, Metallo...). It would be more the white collar kind of crime, centred around money and politics: fraud, embezzlement, lobbying etc. So while it may look pleasant for the most part, there are more high stakes crimes involving a lot of money, power and influence. And technology. So it does look clean, but there is some disparity to it all and why places like Suicide Slum exist. Or even why a disgruntled basement hacker like Toyman exists. Or how Lex rises to power. Metropolis can't be too clean. There's got to be more that meets the eye and explain Superman's rogues gallery. They can't spring out of nowhere and disappear. Some are created over time, from trouble brewing for a long time.

#18 Willi Berg, Nov 5, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  19. Shikamaru Registered

I envision Metropolis as looking 'better' than Gotham, but only in the way Brave New World looks better than 1984. It looks 'perfect' until you get a closer look and realize it's full of class inequality and sensationalism. The people are demoralized but are instead hit with constant LexCorp ads about how better the city is doing compared to everywhere else.

Willi Berg likes this.
  20. TheComicbookKid Swing n Miss

I don’t think you are far off from where most of us are.

To me the difference in Gotham and Metropolis is just the outside. There are good people who want Gotham to be better but the other forces take advantage of its weakened state and corruption.

On the flip side Metropolis has good people who advance the city but there are other forces who want to use those advantages to enrich themselves or human nature falls prey to corruption.

Like imagine Cadmus invents a fire hose that pulls the water out of the air instead of needing an entire fire truck. But someone gets the idea to use it to blast through a wall into a bank?

Willi Berg likes this.
  21. Willi Berg On The Run

I remember in one of the animated movies Lex even found a cure for a disease but held it back to increase profit.