Vocal Ratings of Famous Female Singers

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone ranked some of the most famous female singers in the world and ranked them based on their technique. I just wanted to see if you guys agreed:

I'm guessing Barbra is a star rating. I'm actually impressed by Pink, Kelly, and Gaga.

Last edited:
To me no one beats Mariah in her prime as far as technique and range and melisma and stage presence.

If I were to rate my top five of all time vocalist would be:

1. Mariah Carey/ Whitney Houston
2. Celine
3. Barbara Streisand (if we were judging by consistent technique she'd be #1)
4. Axl Rose
5. Prince

and some of the worst

Christina Aguilera
Britney Spears
Madonna (though she at least tried to improve)
Taylor Swift
SELENA GOMEZ (the absolute worst!)

My favorite female singers in terms of their singing are:

1. Belinda Carlisle
2. Simone Simons (of Epica)
3. kaRIN (of Collide)
4. Dolores O'Riordan (Rest In Peace)
5. Sharon den Adel (of Within Temptation)
6. Ann Wilson (of Heart)

Beyond that I don't have an organized list, but Birdy, Christina Aguilera, and Mariah Carey would be pretty high up there. I actually really like the timbre of Taylor Swift's voice, even if I agree that her voice isn't that strong otherwise.

The thing is, while the ones I listed don't leave a lot of room for comparison to the ones that critic rated, supposedly they're judging by a set of rules, and what I ultimately care about is how good it sounds to me. Aretha Franklin's not a bad singer, for example, but all things being equal I'd rather listen to Britney Spears.

Last edited:
Anneke van Giersbergen
Heather Findlay
Floor Jansen
Lee Douglas
Cristina Scabbia
Ché Aimee Dorval
Ann Wilson
Sass Jordan
Pamela Moore

i dont really know how to rank them based on technique, as that's not something that i know anything about really

but here's some of my notes

Taylor Swift as a D+ is iffy to me. if Lana Del Rey can get a C+, i think Taylor can. I think she sings so much better when she uses her lower register, Back to December for example.

having Katy and Rihanna being the next 2 above her kinda surprises me because i don't think either of them have particular great voices, but have some really great songs.

as for Kesha's technique, i think she's better than she gets credit for, because she always uses so much stuff with her voice. i used to think of her as Lady T.Pain. but when it's just her voice, i think she sounds so much better. She has a version of This is Me from the Greatest Showman that really impressed me.

lana del rey over sia shocks me. i guess i really don't know technique because in my head, lana is a monotone singer for the most part. i'm surpised adele=lana on this ranking too. didn't adele get training in school?
and miley above everyone i mentioned above? wow. must be her technique because although i dont think she's bad as a singer, i prefer more of the C-voices to hers.
same with gwen, never thought she was that great, but never thought she was that bad. sometimes her voice is just weird to me.

and christina just sings doesn't she? has she ever taken a lesson ever? avril? that one surprises me too!

i agree with carrie and lea. i agree with all the A's. i think i might actually drop Beyonce down from a star to an A/B+

i'm thinking way too hard on this lol

This video is BULL!! It was obvs made by a weirdo who put there own faves at the top. Miley cyrus over Sia and adele?!! I rebuke it!

Miley has more control over her voice overall and a good range for a Alto/Messo and Sia's voice is extremely damaged her supported notes are very minimal. Adele is very shakey and pitchy in her live performances.

QBkI8R7.gif

Well here's one that the public did and I don't agree with it. It's being WAY too generous.

Well, I always go back to my old favourites that still hold their own to those now popular. It's one thing to able to scream high in pitch. It's another thing to have some memorable character voice decades afterwards. Of course everything is opinions in the end. But here's some of my favourites.

Agnetha Fältskog. Incredible voice and the crescendo is around 04:00. Benny Andersson unfortunately hammers the song to pieces on his bloody piano at the end, and makes it cheesier. But her performance is still chilling (and even more if you know about the divorce this is about at the time. They were a separated but still toured togheter).

Eva Cassidy (RIP) had an uniqe angelic voice, and she was also a great guitarist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"